PDA

View Full Version : Gaining some Mass..

Bryan
11-04-2002, 01:23 PM
Ok well I'm 18 years old, 5"10 and 156lbs. Around 14% bf. I've been training off and on for the last 2 years. I never really did hardcore training in the past. Just some weight lifting and cardio to stay in shape for sports.

Now I want to get bigger, I guess my final goal is 175-180lbs with 8%ish bf. Those are my longterm goals. Now over the winter months I plan to try and gain as much LBM as possible without getting too fat. I plan to take my time you know, make solid gains.

I started my program last week, Im using the WWB routine #1(i think). I just trying to eat alot of whole foods at the moment Chicken/tuna/eggs/carbs(potatos/oatmeal etc. I plan to get some whey in another 2 weeks or so. and then try creatine in a month or two after the gaining spurt begins to slow down. I take multivitamines daily, along with vitamines C/Bcomplex and E.

So this will be my first time really training hard, 110%.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? :)

Shao-LiN
11-04-2002, 01:49 PM
Cool, good luck. Post your diet if you want feedback on it.

Bryan
11-04-2002, 05:33 PM
Right now I'm just using the 'eat when im hungry' strategy, but I'm going to keep a food log and see how many calories i'm actually getting and use the data to see if i need to increase calories.

Shockwave123
11-04-2002, 05:40 PM
eat or drink plenty of protein before ...during and after you workout......youll be amazed at the gains in muscle size and strength.:D

Bryan
11-04-2002, 05:45 PM
Thanks =)

I usually try to eat some complex carbs before I workout, try to drink water while I workout and then get some protien/simple carbs after working out

restless
11-04-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Bryan
Right now I'm just using the 'eat when im hungry' strategy,

tuttut

Nop, this won't do. Being hungry has nothing to do with it. In fact I can't remember last time I was actually hungry. You have to eat, hungry or not, you eat.

Berserker
11-04-2002, 06:09 PM
I used to eat when just hungry. Then I kept track of my protein intake for a couple weeks, was barely .8/lb. I though i was eating quite a bit too. Upped it now. Though eating while hungry gave me a half assed cut program. Leaned me out a bit. Need to track and not use bulking as an excuse to eat to much and get fat. Just my story.
Berserker

Bryan
11-04-2002, 07:48 PM
I'm not too worried about getting fat, I mean I was eating a considerable ammount and not working out at all and didn't really get fat. I might be a hard gainer :(

JIG
11-05-2002, 05:08 AM
Good luck....I have the same goals.....myself 5'10" 163# trying to hit 175 with LBM.....as for a daily log of meals...you can try fitday.com been using it for a few days.....(its FREE) I eat when i'm not hungry...small snacks (pb&j, hardboil eggs or a can of tuna) good workouts...myself cut workout to 30-45 min

YatesNightBlade
11-05-2002, 05:58 AM
Eat man EAT. Force yourself.

Train hard, lift heavy (with good form) and eat large amounts of healthy food (high protein) and you'll grow. Nothing will stop you.

Bryan
11-05-2002, 07:56 AM
thanks guys

Bryan
11-06-2002, 10:14 AM
I've been thinking about adding a weight gainer to my diet, but I heard they're mostly sugar. and I'm looking to put on LBM not fat.

bradley
11-06-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Bryan
I've been thinking about adding a weight gainer to my diet, but I heard they're mostly sugar. and I'm looking to put on LBM not fat.

Might be a good thing to add post-workout but I would try to get the rest of my calories from whole foods.

Bryan
11-06-2002, 03:25 PM
right on man, I'm trying to get as many calories from whole foods right now. Might be tough on some days tho, since im gone all day from 7am til 9pm

bradley
11-06-2002, 05:15 PM
On the days when you are crunched for time grab an MRP. A little planning goes a long way.:thumbup:

Bryan
11-06-2002, 09:01 PM
Aren't those pretty expensive for how long they last?

bradley
11-07-2002, 02:52 PM
Check around online, but only use them when necessary. I just take my food in tupperware containers whenever I am on the go.

PatentPending
11-07-2002, 03:22 PM
Bryan:

I agree with Yates, you gotta eat, eat, eat no matter whether you feel like it or not. I can tell you that from experience.

I never lifted weights before last summer. I had just turned 39, I am 6' 1" and weighed 150 lbs, which I had weighed since I was 18 (I was generally a long distance runner). I got tired of looking like a skeleton when I went swimming, so I decided to put on some weight.

After reviewing the numerous websites out their, about a year ago I got into a program of lifting three days a week (Mondays - chest and triceps; Wednesday - back and biceps; Saturday - legs and shoulders) and 20-45 minutes running on Sunday and maybe one other day a week. Then I started eating. In the last 18 months, I have put on 40 pounds (90% of which is muscle) even with one fat loss period spanning about 2 1/2 months when I dropped ten pounds.

I am currently eating about 4000 calories a day, with my typical day, when I train, as follows:

3:45 a.m. - get up and workout
5:15 a.m. - carnation instant bkfst with 16 ounces skim milk
6:30 a.m. - 3.3 ounce can of tuna, 3.3 ounce can of chicken, and
a whole wheat bagel
8:30 a.m. - 2 12 oz bottles of grapefruit juice and 2 nutrigrain bars
10:30 a.m. - Whey protein shake (in 12 ounces of 2% milk) and
an 8 oz yogurt
12:00 p.m. - Whey protein shake (in 12 ounces of 2% milk), 1 3.3
oz can of tuna, 1 4.5 oz can of chicken and an 8 oz
yogurt
2:00 p.m. - Whey protein shake (in 12 ounces of 2% milk) and a
myoplex deluxe bar
5:30 p.m. - Whatever we are having for dinner
7:30 p.m. - 1 banana and 1 apple
9:00 p.m. - 1 whole wheat bagel

Half of the time I don't feel like eating, but I know if I don't I won't gain what I want. By the way, even though I've gained 40 pounds, I can still run 4-6 miles at a 7:00 minute pace.

Good luck to you.