PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol...

zenbuilder
11-04-2002, 06:18 PM
Hi all,

I've read about eating 6 small meals per day, the quantity & content dependant on whether the goal is fat-loss or muscle-gain. As I understand it, part of the objective is regular meals keep the metabolic rate steady through the day. Since I like to have a drink or two (25-50ml spirits, 1-2 glasses red wine, pint of beer, etc.) in the evening, how would this affect my met rate? Should I treat the booze as one scheduled 'meal'? How does
the body handle alcohol - as any other type of ingested food?

Appreciate your views,

B

Berserker
11-04-2002, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't think you would treat it as a meal. Theres no protien in it. Though a couple drink isn't a big deal. This post may generate a ****storm about the effects of protein utilization. Which I am sure has an effect I drink reguraly I make up for it by keeping the rest of my diet strict. As far as fat loss your body will burn the alcohol before anything else, which is bad if your expending less cals then taking in. And yes I know alcohol is bad....
Berserker

bob2624
11-04-2002, 08:57 PM
here's the deal on alchohol... slows down or stops protein synthesis...
meaning: you work out to get big, eat lots of protein-> you grow until you consume alchohol at which point, you stop growth. If you want to drink, go ahead, but dont be expecting the same gains as if you didnt drink. At least drink 48 hours after workouts so you can enjoy the benefits of them, otherwise, why work out.

Majestic
11-04-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by bob2624
here's the deal on alchohol... slows down or stops protein synthesis...
meaning: you work out to get big, eat lots of protein-> you grow until you consume alchohol at which point, you stop growth

To the best of anyone's knowledge, it temporarily slows it down....it doesn't "stop" it. It doesn't "stop" it in rats, and I haven't seen any testing to prove it "stops" it in humans, either.

Originally posted by bob2624
At least drink 48 hours after workouts so you can enjoy the benefits of them, otherwise, why work out.

Given the lack of real-world, realistic (let alone human testing), I conveniently concur with your brutal application of common sense.
:cool:
And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

Berserker
11-04-2002, 10:46 PM
As far as why bother working out I just like punishing myself. I know it doesn't stop protein utilization for 48hrs or 24 hrs. Just from my own life. I've made gains while not waiting 48 hrs after a wo. I am sure I short changed myself though.
Berserker

zenbuilder
11-05-2002, 02:52 AM
Personally I've experienced satisfying gains while consuming modest amounts (1-2 drinks, beer/wine/spirits) of alcohol daily, with 3 workouts a week. Of course, would the results be greater had I not been drinking? Possibly. But hey, I like to lift weights AND swallow booze, so I'm gonna keep doing it!

So far nobody's mentioned dehydration caused by boozing, so I'll do so, since that concerns me more than protein synthesis. If you drink alcohol, be sure to rehydrate with H2O!

Regards,

B

Shao-LiN
11-05-2002, 03:16 AM
Why the need to drink everyay?

zenbuilder
11-05-2002, 04:38 AM
Why the need to do ANYTHING everyday? Do you want to discuss philosophy or diet/nutrition/exercise here?

Shao-LiN
11-05-2002, 11:32 AM
Well, smart ass, I wasn't discussing philosophy with you. I was wondering why you feel you need to drink everyday as it really doesn't help you if you're looking to optimize muscle gain.

After all, you started a topic on effects of alcohol, put up with people asking you questions.

Berserker
11-05-2002, 11:41 AM
For me I like to drink I like to know what the effects are too. A discussion of why people drink is a differant topic. I just like to be educated about how much I am harming myself.

ZB your right about the water. Especially with wine. 2 things cause hangovers dehydration and the contiger(sp?) which is the toxin in the alcohol. Vodka is supposed to have the least contigers. The more it is distilled the better. I find I do feel better after vodka. But they say red wine is one of the worst and that doesn't bother me at all, buy it by the gallon.
Berserker

zenbuilder
11-05-2002, 05:21 PM
What I began, I must end... here's what all you guzzlers need to know:

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa35.htm