PDA

View Full Version : Bulking and getting fat....

Michael S.
11-04-2002, 07:56 PM
Ok, I'm trying to absorb as much info from this site as possible. I've been thin all my life, but after lifting mostly on for 2 years, I've gotten bigger. I'm up to around 185lbs, I'm 6' btw. Now, I'm getting serious about getting big, I've started routine 1 and I'm stikcing to it. From what I gather, I should eat a lot, a whole lot.

In the past, even when really thin, I was always hungry. To the point where is a running joke with my friends. Now, that i've gained mass, I'm still always hungry, however, I'm getting a bit of a gut. I know that if i dieted I could loose the gut in a few days. With the way my body metabolizes food, i'd look like an ethiopian in a few weeks. :D

My point to all this is that I'm kinda worried about forcing myself to eat even more while I'm lifting to bulk up. I mean, if I'm developing a gut now, even with the lifting will it get worse? OR is it that i eat too much fat calories?

Is the goal to eat lots of calories, but NOT have them come from fat?

Saint Patrick
11-04-2002, 08:01 PM
Eating fat is ok, try to stick to healthy monounsaturated fats (Peanut Butter and other Nuts, olive oil, flax oil, etc)

What is your current Body Fat %?
If you don't know, I highly recommend getting it tested.

Ti1301
11-05-2002, 03:31 AM
You and me are the same.
Yeah I started out like you with my SUPER high metabolism.
I also haev the ability to lose 5lbs in a day, lack of food will do that to me.
I got the belly too, but I stopped it fast and changed my method of gain.
Instead of feeding myself like a mad man, I decided to go for a slow gain process instead of a fast gain process.
Currently getting real cut, gut is GONE and getting stronger.
I am skinny too, but when I show people my arm they shut up FAST.
Give or take a while more I['ll have a few more lbs on me.
Slow and stady is the way to go for me man.

Shao-LiN
11-05-2002, 11:33 AM
You want both polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats as well. Getting around 33% of fats from saturated, poly-, and mono- is probably the best way to go.

Michael S.
11-10-2002, 10:10 PM
I dunno guys. I am getting bigger and I'm sticking to my routine(#1), but I'm getting a gut. Could I be eating too much? I mean, if my muscles are growing and I'm getting a gut I'm running a calorie surplus.:help: :D

Here is what I had today:

Breakfast: 4 Ego's, some butter/syrup, glass of Orange Juice

Went to the gym

Post gym: Banna, Tuna sandwich(wheat breat, some mayo) 2 glasses of milk

Dinner: A couple pieces of pork(roast), sweet potato, brocolli, a couple small dinner rolls, some pepsi

8ish: A full can of Campbels Mushroom soup:p

A cup of vanilla pudding

Post Sapranos: A bowl of pasta, some Pepsi

Saint Patrick
11-10-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Michael S.
I dunno guys. I am getting bigger and I'm sticking to my routine(#1), but I'm getting a gut. Could I be eating too much? I mean, if my muscles are growing and I'm getting a gut I'm running a calorie surplus.:help: :D

Here is what I had today:

Breakfast: 4 Ego's, some butter/syrup, glass of Orange Juice

Went to the gym

Post gym: Banna, Tuna sandwich(wheat breat, some mayo) 2 glasses of milk

Dinner: A couple pieces of pork(roast), sweet potato, brocolli, a couple small dinner rolls, some pepsi

8ish: A full can of Campbels Mushroom soup:p

A cup of vanilla pudding

Post Sapranos: A bowl of pasta, some Pepsi

Some recommendations:

Breakfast: Ditch the waffles for some Oatmeal and Eggs.

8ish: Soup is cool, but get chicken noodle or something with some protein in it.

Lose the pepsi and drink lots of water.

Milk wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Michael S.
11-10-2002, 10:23 PM
So better to sup the Eggs(protien) for the eggo(carbs)?

Yea..the pepsi is my only vice....everyone has one. I did have two glasses of Milk though. :)

Saint Patrick
11-10-2002, 10:47 PM
Well you should have carbs in the morning, but eggo's are a poor choice. Oatmeal or whole wheat toast would be better choices.

and the pepsi: try to switch to diet if possible.

bradley
11-11-2002, 09:17 AM
I recommend setting up an account on fitday and keeping up with you daily caloric intake. Try to take in some protien, low GI carbs, and healthy fats with each meal. The only exception to this being post-workout which I would recommend some quick digesting protien and high GI carbs and minimal fat.

You definetly need some protien in that first meal due to not having any over the course of the night, and I agree with St. Patrick, ditch the waffles and pepsi.

Y2A
11-11-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by stpatrick44

Some recommendations:

Breakfast: Ditch the waffles for some Oatmeal and Eggs.

8ish: Soup is cool, but get chicken noodle or something with some protein in it.

Lose the pepsi and drink lots of water.

Milk wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I agree. When bulking you SHOULD eat alot of food, but try to get food with some nutritional value, instead of all those crap calories. Eating alot of clean food will put on more muscle/less fat than eating alot of junk food (I think).

Tiare
11-11-2002, 09:31 PM
Generally I'm not a big "eat tons of protein and fat" person, but your diet does leave some room for improvement. I've outlined what you really ate below:

Breakfast: 4 Ego's, some butter/syrup, glass of Orange Juice--> All carbs (butter is fat but was it butter or margarine?) and mostly very high GI carbs (OJ is almost 100 as are eggo's). At the very least add some cottage cheese.

Went to the gym

Post gym: Banna, Tuna sandwich(wheat breat, some mayo) 2 glasses of milk --> good meal overall. Mayo is good fats, milk is good for bulking, tuna we love. I might even consider pushing this back an hour and right after the gym just have a quality protein shake with milk (i.e. eat 2 smaller meals).

Dinner: A couple pieces of pork(roast), sweet potato, brocolli, a couple small dinner rolls, some pepsi --> this looks good but Yams and dinner rolls and pepsi are pretty much just sugar. Try dropping the rolls or the potato or eating a small amount of them and trim your pork roast lean. You know about the pepsi...

8ish: A full can of Campbels Mushroom soup -->waste. Have cottage cheese and some fruit.

A cup of vanilla pudding tuttut

Post Sapranos: A bowl of pasta, some Pepsi -->pure carbs. not as bad as white bread or pudding, but try to do pasta with chicken breast or cottage cheese or what have you. Get some protein in you at night.

bradley
11-12-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Tiare

A cup of vanilla pudding tuttut

If you must have pudding try sugar free jello pudding:D