PDA

View Full Version : ?/Help

7ty9
11-05-2002, 10:22 AM
Goal - I weigh 230lbs trying to get to 200lbs

I've been running & eating right, but it really isn't working. Could It be because I'm not eating enough? I've read on this board you multiply your bodyweight by 12 & thats the amount of calories you should start at. So I would have to start at 2760 calories. Should go down like 100 calories a week?

Tryska
11-05-2002, 10:27 AM
what are you eating?

post your diet and your training rouine, so we can troubleshoot.

7ty9
11-05-2002, 10:32 AM
I really don't keep up with the amount of calories I eat but throughtout the day about 5-6 meals I usually eat Oatmeal, Eggs, Tuna, Sandwiches(wheat bread). I eat clean basically. I run in the morning, lift in the evening.

Tryska
11-05-2002, 10:46 AM
well if you don't actually keep track of what you eat, how would you know if you were eating enough or too much or whatever anyways?

7ty9
11-05-2002, 11:00 AM
I really don't eat that much though. Can I get someone in here who can actually help me by answering my questions?

Tryska
11-05-2002, 11:01 AM
oh i see.

you apparently want to hear the answers you want to hear. good luck with that. :)

7ty9
11-05-2002, 11:10 AM
I just want help. I don't eat that much at all really since I've been trying to lose weight. If I need 2760 a day, I'll probably need some protein shakes. I just want someone to answer if I need to go down 100 calories weekly or someone's opinion on what I should do.

Tryska
11-05-2002, 11:14 AM
how can you know that if you don't know if you are eating the minimum calories for your weight? do you get what i'm saying?

undereating won't help you lose fat any easier then overeating will.

NateDogg
11-05-2002, 11:18 AM
:withstupi also, do you lift?

Berserker
11-05-2002, 11:26 AM
I think the point she is making is if you don't know how much you are eat how can you decrease a 100 cals a week.
I think the answer to your question is you want to decrease gradually every week until you find the point where your losing a pound a week from dieting and maybe another pound through exercise. You cut back to much your losing muscle. I have heard numbers like 500/day cals a week. I don't 100 is going to do much, thats a glass of milk. I am sure theres someone who could give you better number.
Berserker

Tryska
11-05-2002, 11:28 AM
but if he's not eating 2700 cals a day to begin with, which my gut feeling says he isn't, cutting back isn't gonna do much good. especially taking in the amount of activity he's doing. I'd rather not validate cutting calories lower, without knowing exactly what the hell the boys eating in the first place.

7ty9
11-05-2002, 11:32 AM
I'm about to start keeping track of my calories. I'm sorry I didn't explain that. I thought it was kind obvious. When I do start at 2700, what would be recommended on how many calories I cut back weekly?

raniali
11-05-2002, 01:22 PM
once you do start at 2700 - determine how your body is reacting first before you decide if you need to cut back by x amount.

If you decide to cut back ... 200-500/day for a week or two then reassess. But - as tryska said - if you aren't eating enough to begin with, then cutting back is a moot point.

Relentless
11-05-2002, 01:30 PM
based on what you've posted so far, your current scheme isn't working. In order to make intelligent changes to your diet/regimen, you need to have that record of what you're doing so you can evaluate changes

Definitely start tracking what you're eating but don't wait to figure out the 'perfect meal plan' or anything like that before you start. Just get in the habit of tracking what you put into your body. www.fitday.com has a pretty good daily meal tracker thingie in it...

Raniali's advice is spot-on, IMHO... Do that for a week or two and then analyze what you've eaten and pay attention to your macro breakdowns and overall calories. You should see a pattern emerging (either eating too much or not enough).

Don't worry about multiplying your bodyweight or any of that crap. Just figure out what you're eating now and make strategic, planned alterations to that and measure/evaluate how it changes things.

There is no secret plan or magic diet that will 'fix' you and help you shed the unwanted weight. There is only your commitment to change and your self-discipline when it comes to recording, evaluating and changing how your treat your body.

That is all I have for now
Callahan

eclips1
11-05-2002, 01:34 PM
The best thing you can do is monitor your intake. Everything else will follow that. Knowledge is key. Become aware of what your putting in your body and be anal about it. Count calories-fats-carbs-protiens. I'd say do this for 3 days, then look it over and decide where to make changes. Everybody's body and metabolisms are different. So you really have to make your diet personal to best suite you. Use other peoles diets and advice as premis to build from.

eclips1
11-05-2002, 01:37 PM
okay I didn't see Callahan's post when I did mine....so basically, what he said!

Relentless
11-05-2002, 01:41 PM
LOL

Great minds think alike, I guess.

:D

7ty9
11-05-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by raniali
once you do start at 2700 - determine how your body is reacting first before you decide if you need to cut back by x amount.

If you decide to cut back ... 200-500/day for a week or two then reassess. But - as tryska said - if you aren't eating enough to begin with, then cutting back is a moot point.

this is mainly the type of answer I'm looking for