PDA

View Full Version : USA Today: If you eat a lot of fish, you may run health risks

frankm007
11-05-2002, 12:04 PM
n/m

Shao-LiN
11-05-2002, 12:48 PM
Just do this: If you eat a lot of <fill in the blank>, you may run health risks.

EngineThatCould
11-05-2002, 01:13 PM
damn....I feel sorry for all those people that live in Japan. I'm surprised they have lived this long!!!

restless
11-05-2002, 02:11 PM
I only eat sardines. Baby fish is the lowest in mercury because they don't have enough time to absorb it. Funny thing is, people think that as long as no one is dying, all is cool. I really don't understand this logic. Clearly you people are not aware about how toxic mercury is. That stuff is very dangerous.

rythym
11-05-2002, 06:43 PM
I eat about 4 to 5 cans of tuna a week so should i stop eating that much and cut back to one can? Anyone else eat a lot of tuna?

Alex

nejar462
11-05-2002, 06:57 PM
umm, if journalists keep talking BS they're going to run into health problems when i kick their asses

smalls
11-05-2002, 07:17 PM
rythym, I eat 3 cans a day so, I should be worrying first. But I am too poor and tuna is too cheap. Restless, please expound on deaths and problems and how they have arrised. Serioulsy I am curious, I asked my nutrition teacher about this (who is conservative about everything) and he had only heard of one case of mercury poisoning(personally, from a doctor friend). And that guy was eatin fish for every meal and every snack, because he was told it would lower his cholesterol.

jiacstrap
11-05-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by nejar462
umm, if journalists keep talking BS they're going to run into health problems when i kick their asses

lol, thats hilarous

rythym
11-05-2002, 09:06 PM
Well i guess im gonna keep on eating tuna. Thanks

Alex

restless
11-06-2002, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by smalls
rythym, I eat 3 cans a day so, I should be worrying first. But I am too poor and tuna is too cheap. Restless, please expound on deaths and problems and how they have arrised. Serioulsy I am curious, I asked my nutrition teacher about this (who is conservative about everything) and he had only heard of one case of mercury poisoning(personally, from a doctor friend). And that guy was eatin fish for every meal and every snack, because he was told it would lower his cholesterol.

Who said anything about deads? Please re read my post. The problem is other diseases like alzheimer, MS and other degenerative nervous system maladies. Chronic mercury poisoning not acute. Nutritionists are for the most part pretty ignorant , in my opinion. I've cut back on all tuna and believe me, it was a hard decision. Like I said, to you people, as long as no one gets fulminated it's all cool...

11-06-2002, 06:20 AM
alright..thats it! I'm gonna give up eating!

Tryska
11-06-2002, 06:30 AM
hmmm. i was under the impression that canned tuna was not part of the whole high mercury thing, and it was only fresh tuna.

why do we insist on sh*tting where we eat? it's so hard to get good clean real food these days.

Berserker
11-06-2002, 09:47 AM
Whys that? they didn't grow it in the can? Which is to bad fresh tuna is 10 time better.

Tryska
11-06-2002, 09:53 AM
eh?

what you mean?

Rottie
11-06-2002, 10:05 AM
Thats all a bunch of bull ****.

(Canned tuna, composed of smaller species of tuna such as skipjack and albacore, has much lower levels of methyl mercury, averaging only about 0.17 ppm.)

The FDA limit if 1 ppm. So unless you are eating 5 cans of tuna at one sitting, then carry on with your lives.

Tryska
11-06-2002, 10:11 AM
right...that was the impression i had...that since it was the smaller species it didn't fall under the mercury warning.

Berserker
11-06-2002, 01:09 PM
I didn't know they used smaller fish for canned tuna. Makes sense. So to cover my ignorance I was being sarcastic. Meaning the don't grow the canned tuna in the can so whats the difference. As far the steak, I just like good tuna steak. Get fresh and grilled right its almost like eating red meat.

restless
11-06-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Rottie

(Canned tuna, composed of smaller species of tuna such as skipjack and albacore, has much lower levels of methyl mercury, averaging only about 0.17 ppm.)

The FDA limit if 1 ppm. So unless you are eating 5 cans of tuna at one sitting, then carry on with your lives.

Ok. Then do this. Take some powerfull poison like strichnine (spelling?) or arsenic and take a dose much lower than what will kill you, like 100 mcg per day. Know what will happen? Apparently nothing and you'll even grow a tolerance to it, but does this mean it's not harming you? There's a epidemic of nevous system degenerative diseases going on, a rise in cancer and everybody refuses to believe the cause might be in what we're putting inour bodies. The FDA has an industry to protect. If the fish industry wen't down it would be a economical catastrophe, and we con't have that can we? Canned tuna is better? It's still a fish placed high in the food chain so it's also poisoned with mercury.l

Stray
11-07-2002, 02:43 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/diet.fitness/11/07/otsc.farmed.salmon/index.html

Here's a related link but its focusing on salmon.

restless
11-07-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Rottie

One more thing. I don't know if you are aware, but mercury doesn't get washed from our system just like that, it sticks around. You don't have to eat it in one sitting, you can very well spread them troughout the week and still get dangerous levels of mercury in your blood.

Stray, nice article. It's a shame that they negleted to mention that farmed salmon doesn't have a omega 3 content in any similar to wild one, but it's more like comercial fed beef. Sardines on the other hand are great. Very low in heavy metals and still high in Omega 3.

starks713
11-07-2002, 05:59 PM
Everyone tries to be so sarcastic instead of really reading the article and considering what it says. In the article it talks about only LOW level mercury poisoning which still can cause hairloss,depression etc. It's a subject worth talking about instead of posting stupid ass comments like "I'm gonna give up eating".

restless
11-07-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by starks713
Everyone tries to be so sarcastic instead of really reading the article and considering what it says. In the article it talks about only LOW level mercury poisoning which still can cause hairloss,depression etc. It's a subject worth talking about instead of posting stupid ass comments like "I'm gonna give up eating".

I hope this post wasn't directed to me. I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I liked the article. If it was I don't remember were I made the stupid ass comment you refer to. I already gave up tuna and salmon long time ago.

smalls
11-07-2002, 09:25 PM
I realize most nutritionist are semi-ignorant, that is exactly why I used the example. I dont think people are attacking you half as much as you seem to believe they are.

Stray
11-08-2002, 09:35 AM
THEYRE ALL OUT TO GET ME :mad:

NateDogg
11-08-2002, 10:36 AM
Ok, so that's milk and tuna down. We shouldn't eat beef because of what hormones the animal may have been injected with. Is chicken still ok? I am totally serious here. What can we eat that has not be at least suspected to be bad for you in high (read: bodybuilder type) quantites?

Stray
11-08-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by NateDogg
Ok, so that's milk and tuna down. We shouldn't eat beef because of what hormones the animal may have been injected with. Is chicken still ok? I am totally serious here. What can we eat that has not be at least suspected to be bad for you in high (read: bodybuilder type) quantites?

I think oatmeal is still safe...right?

Berserker
11-08-2002, 12:37 PM
No yo can;t eat chicken either. They are injected with hormone too. Probably goes for eggs to. Maybe this is what happened in all those starving third world counrties, they realized how bad everything was.

restless
11-08-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by NateDogg
What can we eat that has not be at least suspected to be bad for you in high (read: bodybuilder type) quantites?

This is a very interesting point you raise. Most of us seem to forget that we eat a lot more food than "regular" people and thus we should be a lot more concerned about what kind of crap we put in our bodies. My problem with beef is not really the hormones but the crap they're fed, it makes them have almost no omega 3 ending up with a very poor EFA profile. Still I rather take my chances with meat and suplement my omega 3 trough the use of cod liver oil, sardines and walnuts to balance the O3/6 ratio, solving at least part of the problem than risk with mercury or ignoring the signs my body sends me when I drink milk.

Ultimately, the only really safe alternative would be to buy grass fed beef, which is not within reach of most of us, I believe. That or growing your own food suply.

restless
11-08-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Stray
THEYRE ALL OUT TO GET ME :mad:

My thoughts exactly. They will never take me alive.outnumber

Stray
11-08-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by restless

My problem with beef is not really the hormones but the crap they're fed, it makes them have almost no omega 3 ending up with a very poor EFA profile.

That reminds me of a nasty book I partially read:

http://www.madcowboy.com/02_Book_excerpt.000.html

Read a bit from it and it'll scare ya poopless.

Tryska
11-08-2002, 01:59 PM
he had me right up until the vegetarian part.

Stray
11-08-2002, 02:00 PM
He has some valid points...but it's peppered with vegetarian propaganda also. Take from it what ya will ;)

Tryska
11-08-2002, 02:02 PM
actually for the most part i agree with him.

i've been anti-agribusiness for a while, because of the stuff that goes on.

however, whilst vegetarianism might be the solution for him, i don't espouse the idea. i would much rather see fundamental change than avoidance, you know what i mean?

in the meantime, i still eat animals, and i choose wisely what animals i will eat and from where.

Stray
11-08-2002, 02:05 PM
in the meantime, i still eat animals, and i choose wisely what animals i will eat and from where.

I agree..I'm trying to adapt a more natural "caveman-esque" diet.

I've read alot of your posts here and am always interested on your take when the food related topics pop-up.

Tryska
11-08-2002, 02:08 PM
*lol*

<~~~~~~is a paranoid diet conspiracy theorist.

one day the rest of the world will be discovering that what i've been ranting on about for years really is true and it will be hip to say it.

of course by then i'll prolly be on a soapbox on a streetcorner with a hand letered sign saying "the end of the world is near" or some such tripe.

Stray
11-08-2002, 02:10 PM
lol :thumbup:

starks713
11-08-2002, 04:58 PM
I wasn't referring to you in that post. I completely agree with what you've posted but most people are just totally disregarding this.

restless
11-08-2002, 06:21 PM
Ok. Sorry about that starks.

bradley
11-14-2002, 05:11 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/diet.fitness/11/07/otsc.farmed.salmon/index.html

Another article on fish if anyone is interested...