PDA

View Full Version : Low carbs & Cardio

eclips1
11-05-2002, 01:29 PM
I've heard a couple people say this is a bad combo. I'm just wondering why?

Shankerr
11-05-2002, 01:42 PM
personally, I love low carb diet and cardio for cutting... works wonders for me.... Ive never even heard anyone argue that cardio and low carbs was bad..

raniali
11-05-2002, 01:46 PM
Too much cardio and no glycogen for fuel results in the conversion of valuable muscle tissue to energy for the cardio demands. Being in ketosis can minimize the amount of muscle lost (or protein converted). Some cardio is ok on a keto diet to facilitate the glycogen-depletion parts, but too much only overtaxes the system. Additionally, supplementing with increased protein in the diet only signals the body that protein is sufficient enough that it can be used for fuel instead of muscle repair/growth.

If you are not keto dieting - I don't see a problem with minimizing carbs in the diet and increasing cardio in an effort to lose weight, though.

eclips1
11-05-2002, 02:28 PM
Interesting....I am keto dieting as of yesterday. I would think that low impact cardio would help. Raniali, do you believe this for even low impact cardio. My thoughts are that a low demand of energy through speed walking or light jogging will help your body burn fat as energy. You know the whole fat burning cardio zone thing.

raniali
11-05-2002, 02:38 PM
low impact cardio at a low-impact heart rate is worthless, imo

IF low impact/low heartrate was worth its weight - then the cardio bunnies and aerobic queens would look a helluvalot better than they do

bradley
11-05-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by eclips1
Interesting....I am keto dieting as of yesterday. I would think that low impact cardio would help. Raniali, do you believe this for even low impact cardio. My thoughts are that a low demand of energy through speed walking or light jogging will help your body burn fat as energy. You know the whole fat burning cardio zone thing.

While on a keto diet you can do moderate intensity cardio. I would stick to walking at an incline or riding a bike.

eclips1
11-05-2002, 02:43 PM
I shoot for the 150 bpm range. Enough to break a good sweat but not demand rediculious energy.

So where does lifting fit in with a keto diet. This is a demand of immediate energy. Why is this not counter productive?

raniali
11-05-2002, 02:47 PM
depending on the type of keto diet you are using - lifting has its own particular schedule.
CKD - the real weight training only occurs the first 2 days after refeeds while glycogen is still present in the cells (there is also a depletion w/o whose purpose is to prime cells for glycogen absorption so training is light and quick).
TKD - weight training can occur at any time but carbs are only ingested immediately afterwards to facilitate recovery

bradley
11-05-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by raniali
depending on the type of keto diet you are using - lifting has its own particular schedule.
CKD - the real weight training only occurs the first 2 days after refeeds while glycogen is still present in the cells (there is also a depletion w/o whose purpose is to prime cells for glycogen absorption so training is light and quick).
TKD - weight training can occur at any time but carbs are only ingested immediately afterwards to facilitate recovery

I was under the impression that carbs should be ingested before and/or during (depending on amount) training when on a TKD. Seems ingesting post-workout carbs would make it more difficult to re-establish ketosis. Please correct me if I am incorrect on this.

eclips1
11-05-2002, 03:05 PM
I is before. Or you can do a before and after split.

raniali
11-05-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by bradley

I was under the impression that carbs should be ingested before and/or during (depending on amount) training when on a TKD. Seems ingesting post-workout carbs would make it more difficult to re-establish ketosis. Please correct me if I am incorrect on this.

my bad - i should have taken the extra 2 seconds and written "....carbs can be ingested immediately before and after training only"

However - post-wo carbs are the more important of the two for the reasons i stated earlier. If you don't overkill on post-wo carbs, re-establishing keto isn't an issue at all -- but the carbs are necessary to shuttle the protein and nutrients into the damaged cells/fibers.