PDA

View Full Version : Big-Ron is grumpy!

Silverback
11-05-2002, 01:35 PM
:( Into the 5th week of my cutting phase and im starting to feel crap, ive been alright so far, but the depletion is starting to take its toll.

I have lost 7-8lbs and can definately feel my self tightening, my arms, legs and chest have not lost any muscle.

But the diet is getting on top of me, i have been strict 6 days a week then a cheat meal on the 7th day. But has anyone got tips too improve mood and feelings while cutting. Its alright when im at work, or in lectures but when ive got nothing to do thats when it gets pretty tough.

Im eating between 1900-2300 cals per day cycling them periodically. Im low carbing it too i.e. below 60 grams, thus high protein, moderate fat.

help would be appreciated. if you want to know anything else about diet, etc.. just ask

thanks

Relentless
11-05-2002, 01:37 PM
if you have trouble keeping happy when you have nothing to do, I suggest you find something to keep you busy

also, two words:
sugarfree jello

Shankerr
11-05-2002, 01:39 PM
I found that a bowl of oatmeal at the start of the day (which made up most of my carbs for the day, I was between 60 and 85g carbs per day total) actually helped to improve my mood. I get all pissy when I am on super low carbs too, but for some reason, i found that getting some carbs into me right after AM cardio really helped.. don't ask me why, I have no idea, but it wokred for me!

Silverback
11-05-2002, 01:48 PM
cheers guys, i'll give the oatmeal a try, sounds like a good idea, also 'sugarfree jelo'! jesus, i totally forgot about this holy grail, in fact im gonna nip to supermarket and make some right now :)

raniali
11-05-2002, 01:49 PM
unfortunately - unless you are truly in ketosis, you will feel like sh*t on a low-carb diet. once in keto, your body has stumbled upon a HUGE oil-reserve of energy and typically one's mood is not too off. however, @60-85g/day, i think you may be on the cusp of keto and your body is hating you all the time. maybe either increase carbs just a smidgen (30-40g) and do more cardio or cut them back and try a keto approach.

bradley
11-05-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by raniali
unfortunately - unless you are truly in ketosis, you will feel like sh*t on a low-carb diet. once in keto, your body has stumbled upon a HUGE oil-reserve of energy and typically one's mood is not too off. however, @60-85g/day, i think you may be on the cusp of keto and your body is hating you all the time. maybe either increase carbs just a smidgen (30-40g) and do more cardio or cut them back and try a keto approach.

I agree, with carbs that low you might as well knock the total down by about 30g which should put you into ketosis. Once you are in ketosis and your body gets over the initial hazy feelings your mood should improve.

Rottie
11-06-2002, 01:00 PM
I would go with a mild midweek carb up. say a bowl of pasta wednesday night. I think you will find it will probably help. You may also want to try St Johns Wart. it is a natural antidepressant. Hope that helps.

Silverback
11-06-2002, 03:38 PM
After some solid thought, i have decided to go into keto, although i lack knowledege for example what do you do with your calories?, exercise? etc...

is there a nuts and bolts guide to keto anywhere? or can some one point me in the right direction. assistance would be appreciated

Relentless
11-06-2002, 03:39 PM
talk to chigs

Silverback
11-06-2002, 03:44 PM
chigs? who's that?

Relentless
11-06-2002, 03:47 PM
The Chicken Daddy

Silverback
11-06-2002, 03:50 PM
oh right, i thought thats who you meant, he's like the nutritional 'god' :)

Bit concerned now about keto just read

http://www.hcrc.org/faqs/atkins.html

Relentless
11-06-2002, 03:51 PM
bah

opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

try keto, see what happens... if it works for ya, great. If it doesn't, try something else.

Silverback
11-06-2002, 03:56 PM
fair enough, hunger isn't really a problem for me, its just my mood, if somebody upsets me which aint hard at the moment! i get pysched up, whereas im usually laid back, im finding it hard keeping a lid on

raniali
11-06-2002, 05:08 PM
http://low-carb.org/lylemcd/

a great source

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-06-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Big-Ron
:( Into the 5th week of my cutting phase and im starting to feel crap, ive been alright so far, but the depletion is starting to take its toll.

I have lost 7-8lbs and can definately feel my self tightening, my arms, legs and chest have not lost any muscle.

But the diet is getting on top of me, i have been strict 6 days a week then a cheat meal on the 7th day. But has anyone got tips too improve mood and feelings while cutting. Its alright when im at work, or in lectures but when ive got nothing to do thats when it gets pretty tough.

Im eating between 1900-2300 cals per day cycling them periodically. Im low carbing it too i.e. below 60 grams, thus high protein, moderate fat.

help would be appreciated. if you want to know anything else about diet, etc.. just ask

thanks

I'll bet you're not eating enough fat to compensate for the low carbs. I'm not saying go keto, but i'd like to see your daily breakdowns.

One cheat meal a week is fine, but you may find better results (i.e. you can stick to the diet longer and easier) by integrating an evening or entire day, basically a reeed or carb load of some sort, into your diet and encorporating the cheat meal somewhere into that.

After 5 weeks it's almost certainly time to consider it.

You have been doing some sort of carb loads, right?

Silverback
11-07-2002, 02:56 AM
Yeah i carb up on saturday and sunday about 500g sat and 300g sun. I think is what is right.

As for breakdowns, i know that i have 270g-280g protein, 20-30g carbs and fat im unsure of i just try to use flax, peanut butter, Full fat cheese, olives, mayonaise etc...

but i dont really have that much knowledge on the subject, maybe i should of looked into it more before proceeding.

WestyHeadbanger
11-07-2002, 03:05 AM
Hey Big Ron.

Follow a ketosis sort of diet, but have that bowl of oatmeal in the morning.

I think mood and diet has alot to do with wether you eat properly in the morning or not.

Remember there's not alot of point to losing the weight that quick if it makes you feel too bad ....maybe a slower plan would be advisable.

Silverback
11-07-2002, 03:08 AM
cheers for the advice Westy, i suppose your right about feelings, but i want to try and preserve as much as my bulk muscle and lose the fat that came with it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-07-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Big-Ron
Yeah i carb up on saturday and sunday about 500g sat and 300g sun. I think is what is right.

As for breakdowns, i know that i have 270g-280g protein, 20-30g carbs and fat im unsure of i just try to use flax, peanut butter, Full fat cheese, olives, mayonaise etc...

but i dont really have that much knowledge on the subject, maybe i should of looked into it more before proceeding.

So tally up everything you eat in a day and work out, on average, how much fat you take in.

Knowing the exact calories (or close enough) of what you're eating makes manipulation a bit easier. It's a pain in the arse, but it's well worth it.

Stray
11-07-2002, 11:09 AM
http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/mcdonald/training-on-ketogenic-diet.htm is a good read.