PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with olive oil

carpediemguy
11-05-2002, 07:47 PM
Whats your take on using olive oil as a cooking oil for frying meat or french fries?
\Is there a chance that free radicals could be released if the temperature is too high?

What is the safest temp for heating olive oil?

Saint Patrick
11-05-2002, 08:31 PM
I use it for everything I pan fry. Especially chicken breast.

the doc
11-05-2002, 09:23 PM
search this topic, i posted some good info a little while back :)

Rottie
11-06-2002, 01:56 PM
I slap back a couple of tablespoons full every day. All kinds of EFAs in olive oil. Good for a keto type diet.

restless
11-06-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Rottie
I slap back a couple of tablespoons full every day. All kinds of EFAs in olive oil. Good for a keto type diet.

Not all kinds. It's pretty much omega 9. No omega 3 at all.

Rottie
11-06-2002, 02:42 PM
Sorry. I didnt mean all kinds as in every kind, i meant all kinds as in lots. Its good for you.

Rottie
11-06-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by restless

Not all kinds. It's pretty much omega 9. No omega 3 at all.

It has omega 3 man. Just not alot.

Olive Oil contains both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are important in preventing cardiovascular disease and are particularly high in oily fish such as salmon. While olive oil is not terribly high in omega-3, the ratio of the two omega acids has been found to be more important and olive oil has a great ratio.

restless
11-06-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Rottie

It has omega 3 man. Just not alot.

Olive Oil contains both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are important in preventing cardiovascular disease and are particularly high in oily fish such as salmon. While olive oil is not terribly high in omega-3, the ratio of the two omega acids has been found to be more important and olive oil has a great ratio.

Olive oil has no omega 3. The importance of the omega 3/6 ratio is in overall intake. However passed that info to you mislead you. Olive oil is no good for omega 3. Cod liver oil, salmon oil and some nuts are high on EFA's. And of course the fish and grass fed meat.

Rottie
11-06-2002, 07:18 PM
Well according to this page it HAS omega 3 fatty acids. Nobody misleads me on anything. I do my own research.

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/olivechemistry.htm#Omega-3

And about 100 others that I won't bother to look for. Flax seed oil and fish are better sources, but to say it has no omega 3 at all is plain wrong. Whoever passed your info on to you mislead you.

Saint Patrick
11-07-2002, 02:23 AM
Olive Oil is a great source of Monounstaurated Fat, but not very high in EFA's.

WestyHeadbanger
11-07-2002, 04:08 AM
EFA's are high in olive oil but not essential in flax seed acids.

restless
11-07-2002, 06:53 AM
Olive oil has 0,6 % of omega 3. While this is something it is not enough to take on consideration, in my opinion.Those oil companies from that site are in my book scammers. It is not a proper source of omega 3 and the ratio of 3/6 is VERY poor at around 12/1 in favour of omega 6.

Rottie
11-07-2002, 07:23 AM
Ah but you said it had none whatsoever, now you do agree it has some. I never said it was the best source for Omega 3, just that it did have some. But whatever you say about olive oil, the undisputed truth is, it is good for you, which is what the original poster was asking.

I have no idea why you would call the companies scammers, besides the fact they disagree with you.

restless
11-07-2002, 07:35 AM
I think they're scammers because they're trying to pass olive oil a decent source of omega 3.

Olive oil is good for you. I agree. I did learn that it has traces of omega 3 , but it's so little comparing to omega 6 that it's not sgnificant.

nugg
11-07-2002, 05:54 PM
it's the oleic acid that will give you the health benfits.