PDA

View Full Version : question about contest dieting

fatsoPanda
11-06-2002, 01:33 AM
:help:Ok guys, i'm sure this has been asked before. I've found bits and pieces on other threads but failed to find an exact answer. My question is..... When cutting up, i've heard you should slowly deplete your carbs up untill contest time, eventually haveing almost if not 0 carbs a day..... am I right or wrong?? If I am right, which upon talking to other people about this, I am. What would be a timeline in slowly reducing your carbs? Say for a contest starting 10 or 12 weeks out. I understand everyone is gonna be different in terms of a diet, but i would like to see some examples of what you've done. I'm hoping I could peice together a good diet so I'll be ready for my first contest.

A little about me if it'll help with your opinions:

weight: 175lbs
bf: 14 - 15% (been bulking, was 9 - 10%)
I'm a hardgainer

YatesNightBlade
11-06-2002, 04:11 AM
Weight yourself.

Same time everyweek. You should be aiming to lose around 2lbs a week. Don't cut your carbs too low. If you not losing weight .... drop your carbs by 50g, if you losing too much up them a little or limit the cardio. You can choose to do more cardio or eat less carbs if your not losing bodyfat.

Next time I diet Im going to do more cardio and eat more carbs. Eating too little loses too much muscle. I've heard good results from the higher cardio method from a number of competitors.

raniali
11-06-2002, 11:05 AM
the 0 carbs a day you are talking about is only relevant for people who do keto -- but the last few days before a show, most competitors eat almost nothing but carbs

fatsoPanda
11-06-2002, 03:57 PM
raniali

yeah...i'm aware on carbing up. but, when would it be safe to start your carb up? A buddy of mine carbs up the day before the contest. again, i know everyone is different but i just wanna hear some techniques and advice from past competitors.

YatesNightBlade

thanks for the advice. looks good and logical. I'll give it a shot

Also...anybody else out there have some tips

bradley
11-06-2002, 05:09 PM
You have probably already read this but here is an article written by YatesNightBlade from the nutrition articles section:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=344729#post344729

fatsoPanda
11-06-2002, 06:53 PM
think you posted the wrong link....
try putting it up again...

fatsoPanda
11-06-2002, 07:01 PM
YatesNightBlade,

what do you think would be a good starting calorie range for me?? how about carbs??, say maybe 200grams??

again, I'm 23 and 175lbs, coming from a bulk

raniali
11-06-2002, 07:08 PM
if you haven't been keeping track of your diet by now ... START!
especially if you are planning on getting ready for a show.
It's very difficult (if not impossible) for people here to say that YOU need x carbs/y fat/ z prot each day for you to reach your contest shape. everyone is different.
a general rule of thumb is to decrease your overall cals by no more than 500cal/day when trying to diet. something too drastic will backfire. monitor your daily intake of EVERYTHING and record the macro-nutrient breakdowns to be sure of what you are eating. after a week or two - see how you are doing -- you should aim for fat loss @ about 1-2 lbs per week. you can continue to cut calories slowly each week and add cardio - but you should still keep your wt loss at 1-2lbs/week.

give me a day to find it - and i can give you a good outline for the last week of contest dieting ... until then, go buy yourself a notebook and start logging in your food/supplements/training and general mood/energy for every day

fatsoPanda
11-06-2002, 07:19 PM
Yeah, i plan to keep a diet journal as soon as i begin my cut. For now though i'm still bulking, I measured it for a week and then used that to estimate my meals for a bulk. I'm eating close to 3500 - 4000 cals a day. i plan to start my cut jan 1, so i'm getting all the info i can right now. I understand everyone is different i guess what i'm trying to get at is, what is an estimate of how i should be doing it? from there i can manipulate it too my needs.

Shao-LiN
11-06-2002, 07:26 PM
12 x bodyweight is a good basis for cutting calories. Start at what you are eating now and then gradually work your calories down until you are at 12 x bodyweight.

Ratios, I often hear that a 40/30/30 p/c/f split is a good route to take. As you lower your carbs, you may want to raise your fat intake and vice versa.

fatsoPanda
11-06-2002, 10:11 PM
advice worth considering Shao-Lin,

thanks buddy

YatesNightBlade
11-07-2002, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by fatsoPanda
YatesNightBlade,

what do you think would be a good starting calorie range for me?? how about carbs??, say maybe 200grams??

again, I'm 23 and 175lbs, coming from a bulk

Very hard to say.

Start with 300 and weight yourself every week. Same time. and watch thoses scales. Let the mirror judge you too. Manipulating Cardio is a good idea tho.

bradley
11-07-2002, 02:47 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=12

Sorry about that, try this

fatsoPanda
11-07-2002, 07:32 PM
Much thanks raniali
thanks bro

fatsoPanda
11-07-2002, 07:33 PM
thanks Bradley,

but yeah i read it, good watching out though