PDA

View Full Version : How important is milk for you?

carpediemguy
11-07-2002, 03:52 PM
How much milk do you drink a day and how important it is for you.

Stray
11-07-2002, 04:04 PM
I try to avoid dairy if I can...so I rarely drink milk.

PowerManDL
11-07-2002, 04:05 PM
I drink a glass or two with every meal normally.

restless
11-07-2002, 04:20 PM
It's not important. We did fine without it untill recently and we had better bone density before we started using it. I don't drink any, but then again, it gives me some pretty nasty rashes. If you're fine with it then why not?

Frozenmoses
11-07-2002, 04:24 PM
I have at least three cups a day, usually right before bed.

carpediemguy
11-07-2002, 04:26 PM
Well, I dont have lactose intolearnce so milk is fine for me. Good source of protein and calcium.

I know some guys that drink up to a gallon a day . I usually drink 2-3 glass a day .

perfecto
11-07-2002, 09:53 PM
Drink the 1% fat milk with all the calcium!

TreeTrunks
11-07-2002, 10:10 PM
I drink a half gallon a day on average sometimes more. I drink fat free milk

BCC
11-07-2002, 10:12 PM
I drink generally around a gallon a day of vit. D.

Workhorse
11-07-2002, 10:16 PM
I drink about 3 gallons a week of skim milk. Whether its mixed with my shake or just on its own... I love milk.

Workhorse

Spawn_X
11-07-2002, 11:21 PM
heard skim milk is good, have to try that sometime.. isn't it pricier than regular?

also - i hate the taste of milk, but by adding a little chocolate syrup it tastes amazing.. i have about 4 glasses a day.

RussianRocket
11-07-2002, 11:51 PM
I drink as much milk as i can get my hands on. I think milk has been major help in my weight gain recently. I drink on average 4 - 6 cups a day

TxRebel
11-07-2002, 11:58 PM
Milk is Bad....it was made for calfs to grow up in to cows..it my put weight on you but so would eating 5 lbs of candy a day...is that weight you really want...plus it is hard on your system even if your not lactose intolerent it puts extra stress on your body to try and break it down...... thats why i stay away from it and have for the last 2 or so years

TreeTrunks
11-08-2002, 12:12 AM
Tx, can I see some proof of this?

pat s
11-08-2002, 12:46 AM
i drink milk with every meal for the protein.i was under the assumption that is has high bioavailability i'd like to know where you got youre info txrebel.

bradley
11-08-2002, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by TxRebel
Milk is Bad....it was made for calfs to grow up in to cows..it my put weight on you but so would eating 5 lbs of candy a day...is that weight you really want...plus it is hard on your system even if your not lactose intolerent it puts extra stress on your body to try and break it down...... thats why i stay away from it and have for the last 2 or so years :confused:

Franjipani
11-08-2002, 04:39 AM
Milk is Bad....it was made for calfs to grow up in to cows..it my put weight on you but so would eating 5 lbs of candy a day...is that weight you really want...plus it is hard on your system even if your not lactose intolerent it puts extra stress on your body to try and break it down...... thats why i stay away from it and have for the last 2 or so years

I'm not sure I agree with the bit about equivalent of eating 5lbs of candy a day.... but in essence, I think what he is saying is that milk can actually leach calcium from the bones which leads to innervation (lower levels of energy due to high demands on the body). Milk also affects digestion as it coats the intestines and hardens keeping you from absorbing nutrients, leading to excessive mucus in the intestines, sinus's & lungs which can invariably lead to chronic fatigue...The sugar in milk can't be metabolised by the body therefore converts to acid. Also, cows milk contains growth hormones which are secreted from the pituitary of the cow and god only knows what else these animals are fed...:eek:...

wowbaby
11-08-2002, 04:50 AM
I drink 2-3 pints of milk a day. Milk is better then any supplement out there for bulking. Its awesome. Now where did I leave that glass of milk.:alcoholic

WillKuenzel
11-08-2002, 04:55 AM
hehe, its pretty important that I don't get any. I'm lactose intolerant, so any milk I get puts me in the bathroom for the remainder of the day.

Mystic Eric
11-08-2002, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

I'm not sure I agree with the bit about equivalent of eating 5lbs of candy a day.... but in essence, I think what he is saying is that milk can actually leach calcium from the bones which leads to innervation (lower levels of energy due to high demands on the body). Milk also affects digestion as it coats the intestines and hardens keeping you from absorbing nutrients, leading to excessive mucus in the intestines, sinus's & lungs which can invariably lead to chronic fatigue...The sugar in milk can't be metabolised by the body therefore converts to acid. Also, cows milk contains growth hormones which are secreted from the pituitary of the cow and god only knows what else these animals are fed...:eek:...

:cry:

restless
11-08-2002, 05:13 AM
Maybe some would like to read this:

Article on milk. (http://www.mercola.com/2000/feb/27/no_milk.htm)

rythym
11-08-2002, 09:12 AM
So milk can be holding back my gains in mass?

Alex

Tryska
11-08-2002, 09:14 AM
not important at all. too many hormones that mess with my own.

Stray
11-08-2002, 09:29 AM
I have 3 kids ...one 4 years old and two 1 year olds.

The 4 year old was raised on milk products pretty much daily and along the way she suffered ear infecntions almost weekly and came down with a horrible case of asthma.

Around the time that the twins were born we where limiting their dairy intake...needless to say my 4 year old's ear infections went away when the milk did and her asthma cleared up...the twins have yet to get either.(where as my 4 year old had contracted numerous ear infections by the time she was their age)

11-08-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by restless
Maybe some would like to read this:

Article on milk. (http://www.mercola.com/2000/feb/27/no_milk.htm)

so whats that article saying? we should breast feed our entire lives?

rythym
11-08-2002, 09:57 AM
LOL:D

Bam Bam
11-08-2002, 10:19 AM
ahhhhhhhhhhhh horsh radish you can find something wrong with any food quit looking so hard and drink the damn milk . Good lawd people

Berserker
11-08-2002, 10:36 AM
The article was interesting but I am not ready to give it up yet. I worry more about the chemicals then the milk. A local diary near my home milk taste alot differant then what the big chain suppliers. I am used to to the big brands I don't like the local stuff. I read something years ago about to much female hormones in milk. Anybody else read this? I am still waiting, thought to play with my tits.

Majestic
11-08-2002, 12:30 PM
I think this site goes overboard with the fear & the preaching, but it also contains some interesting items you may or may not have been aware of:

(For the record, I use milk in my cereal, and drink a few glasses a week)

Milk Sucks? (http://www.milksucks.com)

Tryska
11-08-2002, 12:43 PM
berserker the milk from your local dairy is most liekly better for you then the stuff coming from big chain suppliers.

BennettBoy
11-08-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Bam Bam
ahhhhhhhhhhhh horsh radish you can find something wrong with any food quit looking so hard and drink the damn milk . Good lawd people

:evillaugh You tell them Bam Bam.

I drink about 16 oz. a day I guess....usually in my protein shakes w/ peanut butter and a banana. DELICIOUS!

Yanick
11-08-2002, 01:43 PM

That candy comment was so completely retarded. I think i just lost 2 IQ points after reading that comment.

You can also put 'bad weight' on by eating 5 lbs of sweet potatoes a day, or eating 5 lbs of oatmeal a day, your body can't tell the difference, it still becomes glucose/calories in the end.

Stray
11-08-2002, 02:01 PM
Mmmm 5lbs of candy...

ryan1117
11-08-2002, 02:58 PM
My Typical Daily Dairy Consumption:
32 ounces Skim Milk (320 calories, 32g protein, 0g fat)
0.5 cups of Cottage Cheese (80 calories, 13g protein, 0g fat)
Cream Cheese (to put on bagels) (60 calories, 8g protein, 0g fat)
Yogurt (120 calories, 8g protein, 0g fat)

Totals 580 calories, 61g protein, 0g fat

Seems pretty "low fat" to me. (One of Peta's biggest arguments was "high fat")

chris mason
11-08-2002, 04:05 PM
When I was at my strongest and largest, I drank almost a gallon of milk a day. I was stronger than 99% of the people in my gym, and most others. If milk impeded my progress, I don't wanna be unimpeded!

smalls
11-08-2002, 05:39 PM
How much do you honestly think milk is limiting obsortion. Looks like I should stop drinking milk and I could eat less because my body would be utilizing more calories from what I eat. I agree there are problems with milk, but it is also a huge help in all the gains I have made. I eat at least 12 cups a day, but that is obviously not necassary.

We eat better than 99.9999% of the world's population, yet we are still screwed. Ya just can't win.

Stray
11-11-2002, 11:24 AM
We eat better than 99.9999% of the world's population, yet we are still screwed

I read a statistic somewhere that stated that if the entire world ate the way Americans do there'd only be enough food for half the worlds population.

Majestic
11-11-2002, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I had issues with that remark too, but didn't want to nit-pick. I'm sure we have purer water, cleaner toilets, better vitamins, etc., than all/most other countries, but you'd be hard-pressed to find another society that wakes up and has a fat-free granola bar for breakfast, to make room for a #4 value meal at McDonald's for lunch, 3 times a week.

We are the fattest, most disgusting country on Earth, period. Especially here in Michigan, which is cover-up state. Only in a state like Michigan, or more specifically a dirt-hole like Flint, can Michael Moore walk into an establishment and not be considered an absolute physical sloth.

If you live in California, Colorado, or some other health-crazed state, then more power to ya. Me personally, I just left a Subway that was run by three......count-em'.......THREE different ladies who were EACH 220 lbs. plus. :help: :help: Two of them were around 20-25, the other was about 30 years old. Unbelievable. Completely unbelievable.

Diet-wise, the people that visit this site are the exception, not the norm.

Majestic
11-11-2002, 02:44 PM
An orphaned alien from Krypton said it best:

Lois: "......do you.....um......eat????"

Superman : (looks confused) "....ah, yes.....heh....when I'm hungry......"

smalls
11-11-2002, 06:55 PM
Sorry, actually I meant "we" meaning bodybuilders. I, in no way, associate with the lifestyle of the average american.

Majestic
11-11-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by smalls
Sorry, actually I meant "we" meaning bodybuilders. I, in no way, associate with the lifestyle of the average american.

(looks guilty & ashamed) I guess being in a bodybuilding site, I probably should've assumed that. It must've been the "world's population" bit....:angel:

TreeTrunks
11-12-2002, 07:25 AM

5lbs of candy? When did lactose become the same as sucrose in its effects?

Milk only good for calves? What about eggs? our bodies don't produce eggs(for you smartasses, the kind you eat). What about chicken? Our bodies don't produce chicken.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-12-2002, 07:46 AM

You work for a soda company worried that you'll lose business if milk is promoted or something?

Milk doesn't make you fat. Eating too many calories does.

How is milk hard on your system? Harder than steak?

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-12-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

but in essence, I think what he is saying is that milk can actually leach calcium from the bones which leads to innervation (lower levels of energy due to high demands on the body). Milk also affects digestion as it coats the intestines and hardens keeping you from absorbing nutrients, leading to excessive mucus in the intestines, sinus's & lungs which can invariably lead to chronic fatigue...The sugar in milk can't be metabolised by the body therefore converts to acid. Also, cows milk contains growth hormones which are secreted from the pituitary of the cow and god only knows what else these animals are fed...:eek:...

Franji, it's not milk, but high protein that can leech calcium from the bones, but if your intake of calcium is adequate, the opposite is noticed (i.e. bones are strengthend).

The casein in the milk is what clots in the stomach, slowing digestion right down, but it doesn't prevent nutrient absorption, it just slows their digestion too if you eat on top of it.

Sugar in milk is lactose, which is just part glucose and part galactose. Galactose is handled similarly to fructose. What is this about acid conversion?

But yeah, i agree about the heavily processed stuff.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-12-2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Yanick

That candy comment was so completely retarded. I think i just lost 2 IQ points after reading that comment.

I've never heard of anyone with a negative IQ...