PDA

View Full Version : girl needs advice

Jane
06-29-2001, 04:12 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum but I've been involved in weight training on&off for quite a while now. About 3 months ago my access to a gym got cut off, and I haven't been able to get it back. See, I'm only 16 years old, and because I over-dieted and over-trained (swimming 9 times a week, lifting 4 times a week) this winter, I lost a huge amount of weight, and I got labeled anorexic by this psycologist, so now my mom won't let me even go WALKING, never mind driving me to a gym, or buying equipment. Because I overdieted, I also atrophied an immense amount of muscle, and now I'm stuck at 5ft 7in, 105 pounds, and maybe about 14% body fat. I know I need to gain weight, I am a weakling now; but I want to do it the right way. I don't want to gain pounds and pounds of pure fat, but I don't know how to eat or exercise to rebuild myself. Any advice on nutrition/exercise would be greatly appreciated! :(

Also, I doubt anyone can help me with this, but I kind off shut off my hormones, I think, by losing weight. Now I have primary amenorhhea (spelled something like that) I think, and my estrogen-induced bodily changes are...ahem...nonexistent.:rolleyes:

What do I do???:confused:

Spiderman
06-29-2001, 04:23 PM
Jane check your email. ;)

Alex.V
06-29-2001, 04:26 PM
Hey Jane, good to see you made it here. :)

Nothing to add just yet, (Still waiting for an e-mail back. lol), but just wanted to officially welcome you. :D

One quick thing, though. You might want to post your current diet up here so that other people can make some recommendations. I think that would be a great place to start.

Tryska
06-29-2001, 05:53 PM
hey.....I know this story....Jane? jenia??:confused:

flake
06-29-2001, 06:36 PM
hey jane, yey, more girlys :)

(slightly wondering what spidey was offering in his e-mail...)

anyway you almost got it right, amenorrhea is the complete loss of menses due to a disruption in the release of GnRH (gonadotrophin-releasing hormone) or impairing of the gonadotroph responsiveness which prevents the initial FSH (folicle stimulating hormone) pattern from recruiting a dominant folicle during the development of ovarian folicles. This could well be related to the over dieting and training as that would effect the production and release of many hormones, including GnRH.

ok, realised that was a bit vague, sorry :)

To put it into basic terms, the fundamental reproductive unit in the female is the single ovarian follicle, composed of one germ cell surrounded by many epithelial cells.
The ovarian follicle (once fully developed and matured) has 5 main purposes:

*Maintaining and nuturing the oocyte
*Maturation of the oocyte and releasing it at the appropriate time
*Preparation of the vagina and fallopian tubes to assist fertalisation
*Prepares the lining of the uterus to accept and implant a zygote
*Maintaining the hormonal support for the fetus untill the placenta can take over the function

Folicles of various stages of development are present throughout the cortex during the reproductive years (about 13 to 50yrs old), their are three main stages to the development of the ovarian folicles, the third of these stages occurs 5 to 7 days following the onset of menses, where a single graafian follicle is selected becoming the dominant follicle of that cycle. This is where the disruption of GnRH secretion causes problems as it is involved in this process.

I know this isn't a solution but I thought some background info could be usefull, I can't really give much more details without going into the biochem of it though.

My knowledge on the subject is however unfortunately highly limited, and I have no idea of the suitable responses to the condition, I could do a bit of research and see what I come up with if you want.

Tryska
06-29-2001, 06:42 PM
uhh..if it's who i think it is..i've already explained that in english..*lol*...if it's not..thanks!

anyways..jane.....glad to see you here....the only way your gonna be able to kick the hormone back into action is by getting your bf up to at least 18% so that estrogen as enough fat to sit and accumulate in so you can set off the old menstrual cycle.....

so we gotta get you fed and fed right girl...hey....umm..did you sort stuff out with your mom?

Alex.V
06-29-2001, 08:18 PM
*pats flake on the head*

Thanks, bud. :)

lol

Jane
06-29-2001, 08:24 PM
Yup, its me again Tryska. Belial recommended this site, and I read some of the threads. *Compliments* to all members; there are many very intelligent people here. Anyway, he suggested that I see if anyone has advice. As for my mother, she persists on buying junk food and forbidding exercise and I am still unsure of what to do. So thats it? All I can do is gain a lot of fat? Muscle doesn't apply to this amenorrhea stuff does it?
<sigh>
But I dont wanna be flubbyyy

Alex.V
06-29-2001, 08:28 PM
You can always mess around with the routines I gave ya. :)

Seriously, girl, you NEED to sit her down. Arm yourself with info; ask us anything you're unsure about, and set her straight. We can help you get through this, but it's gotta come from you. :D

Jane
06-29-2001, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by flake

My knowledge on the subject is however unfortunately highly limited[/B]

I disagree :D Thanks for the info, if only I knew what to do with it :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-30-2001, 02:32 AM
Junk food is unhealthy, but calorie dense.

Wouldn't she be better off getting some good food down her with good fats etc...?

Tryska
06-30-2001, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Jane
Yup, its me again Tryska. Belial recommended this site, and I read some of the threads. *Compliments* to all members; there are many very intelligent people here. Anyway, he suggested that I see if anyone has advice. As for my mother, she persists on buying junk food and forbidding exercise and I am still unsure of what to do. So thats it? All I can do is gain a lot of fat? Muscle doesn't apply to this amenorrhea stuff does it?
<sigh>
But I dont wanna be flubbyyy

well.....in order to resolve the amenorrhea problem you have to gain more fat.....18% is the bare minimum, however according the US Navy recommendations for Female Personnel, ideal is 22%. which isn't "fat" IMO for a woman by any stretch....you need that hip and thigh fat, and it's a different type of fat then on other places of the body, and it's there specifically for hormonal reasons. So yeah.....you've got to put some on.....but that doesn't mean you can't put on muscle too.....did you show your mom that site i gave you before? stumptuous? i realize she's your mom and all, but the only thing you can do is arm yourself with information, and put your foot down, or find some one older who is willing to talk to your mom for you......i'd even do it for you if you'd like....although i don't know how convincing some cyber-stranger would be....i know my stuff though...*grin*

flake
06-30-2001, 08:14 AM
I'm agreeing with tryska here, I guess you just need to get your weight back up and follow a proper diet to restore the natural hormone balances.
As far as the muscle relating to amenorrhea, I don't think it'd effect it directly, however their may be many other hormones out of synch as well, which would then effect muscle growth. I guess you get it as a package really. Just get your body working normally again and you should be fine.

By the by, why not get your mum to register here, get her to read the board for a bit and post questions, might help.

Paul Stagg
06-30-2001, 11:37 AM
Hmmm....

16 year old girl who lost too much weight too fast, now has menstrual problems...

First - get your doc involved in these types of discussions. Make it clear that you don't want to be out of shape, but make it clear that you understand your health is your primary concern (that way you avoid the label your psycologist gave you). Your doctor *should* be able to steer you down the right path. Absolutely, this is the first step to take... your doc needs to monitor your health.

STAY ACTIVE!!! It doesn't have to be serious, and it doesn't ahve to be competitive, but keep some activity so that you maintain a level of cardiovascular fitness. I would also like to see some resistance training to improve muscle mass (I can't see where that would hurt you). Don't overdo it, though.. I'm talking about general 16 year old girl activity... amounting to an hour and a half of low intensity stuff a week. No more than that.

As much as I hate to suggest it, consult a nutritionist. They'll probably feed you a bunch of crap about protein being bad, but they might have some good suggestions on food chioces to get your nutrients without having to eat ding dongs all day. We do have an RD who posts here occasionally (Beercan) who might be able to give you some general pointers (he doesn't fit into the normal 'nutritionist' sterotype).

Other advice:

Eat 'clean' - Fresh foods... not processed.
Eat lots of cold water fish (salmon)
Eat lots of protien
Drink your milk - a great way to get additional calories and protein.
Keep your head straight. Don't obsess about this... if you've already had one psycologist suggest you have an eating disorder, letting this stuff get to you might only serve to make his case for him.

Listen to your mom. I'm sure she only wants what is best for you... when you and she talk, make sure you don't get emotional, and just make your points clearly. For example, explain the benefits of resistance training and cardio activity, and balance that with your increased calories to show that you'll still gain weight. I'd be happy to give you more detailed info you can present to your mom - but you HAVE to be willing to understand that she only wants you to be healthy. I'm sure she's scared to death - all moms feel responsibility for their kids health, and if a psycologist told her that you have an eating disorder, she's going to be very worried about you, as well as worried that she did something to bring it on. Make it very clear to her that you understand that, and that she didn't do anything wrong, and that she isn't now doing anything wrong. Approach this as a project that the TWO of you can work on together... have her participate in your activity, have her involved in your diet planning... this can become a blessing for you both.

Email me with questions.. I don't get to check in here as much as I would like. You can also give your mom my e-mail addy...

pjstagg@hotmail.com

*disclaimer*
I am NOT a doctor or in any way trained or licensed to treat or diagnose any disease, physical or otherwise. I am simply giving advice based on my own research and experience. In cases where a serious health condition may exist, ALWAYS consult a medical professional.

Spiderman
06-30-2001, 12:02 PM
I disagree with you Paul. (so what else is new right?). Don't tell her to stay active. The last thing she needs to do is cardiovascular activity. My suggestion is to go about a normal life with NONE! Her body needs those calories to try and get her physiological processes back in normal order. Cardiovascular activity and eating disorders DO NOT work together. Do you understand this? Have you had an eating disorder? I don't assume you have, so please, coming from someone who has had first hand experience with two eating disorders in his life don't telling her to run/bike or what have you...at this point is bad for her!

**This has been edited/formatted from its previous form to fit this screen and its contents. In no way shall it be reproduced without the expressed written consent of the owner. This type of unlawful action, so shall it occur will result in direct prosecution by the FBI.**

Tryska
06-30-2001, 02:12 PM
paul and spidey...

to a certain extent i agree with both of you...from what i understand jane has seen a doctor, and is seeing a pyschologist....i don't know about the nutrionist part....

the issues with her mom, which i find understandable. is that she is trying to get her up to weight as fast as possible, but by using the ho-ho and potato chip method.

i think that if she focuses on increasing muscle mass, and stays from the cardio, other than the incidental kind, she should be okay...

spidey, from what I've seen in talking with jane, she at least is accepting that she needs to gain, so she's one step further then she could be.....i think her head is on straight enough to be able to start exercising and getting to where she needs be....or at least strength-training...the biggest roadblock at the moment, is Mom.....who like i said, has her reasons, and rightfully is very emotional at the moment....once mom's on the right page, we can go about building up the other stuff....but one brick at a time.

Alex.V
06-30-2001, 03:43 PM
Respectfully, spidey, I disagree. Becoming sedentary is no way for an underweight person to reach a healthy level again. Weight has to be added correctly, and the body needs to become more ROBUST, not simply heavier.

The disorder is not compulsive exercise and fear of food, rather, it's taking "healthy, low calorie living" a bit too far. I realize your concern, but I have personal experience in this arena as well, and a completel change of dimensions is not what's needed.

Paul, thank you for your reply.

Jane- you must be thoroughly confused and torn both ways by now. lol.

c_8nOM
06-30-2001, 06:17 PM
I agree to both of you belial and Spidey..
Well but First Jane.. U HAVE TO sort things out with your parent... U can not live without them until u are older.. at least i think... After u sort EVERYTHING out with ur mom, and then think what kind of exercise that u can keep and how u should eat...

Paul Stagg
06-30-2001, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by spideyongear
I disagree with you Paul. (so what else is new right?). Don't tell her to stay active. The last thing she needs to do is physical activity. My suggestion is to go about a normal life with no intentional physical exercise. Yeah, you read correctly... NONE! Her body needs those calories to try and get her physiological processes back in normal order. Exercising and eating disorders DO NOT work together. Do you understand this? Have you had an eating disorder? I don't assume you have, so please, coming from someone who has had first hand experience with two eating disorders in his life don't tell her to exercise....at this point it is bad for her!

I am assuming Jane DOES NOT have an eating disorder, that she was labeled as having one. Big difference. From the sound of her post, she has a healthy attitude, and just f*cked up her diet. Further, her weight and height don't alarm me... sounds to me she's facing something many female teen athletes face.

Since diet is far more important to weight loss (and gain) than activity, I suggest she continue healthy levels of activity, and make the adjustments to diet.

If Jane does in fact have an eating disorder, I would keep my trap shut, and my advice should be ignored, other than to refer her back to a doctor. I haven't the foggiest idea how to help someone suffering from an actual eating disorder. If Jane does in fact have an eating disorder, I'm going to delete this entire thread, as none of us have any business giving her advice, other than to seek help from trained professionals.

And, to your credit, if you have experienced an eating disorder, your experience could be a help to Jane, and others as well.

Tryska
07-01-2001, 07:48 AM
agreed.

Jane
07-02-2001, 06:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for their advice! I promise you you didn't waste your time. Now if I could just catch my mum in a good mood...:)

Anthony
07-02-2001, 06:11 PM
mmmmmmm, ice cream. :)

Glad to see you aboard Jane.

the doc
07-02-2001, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Paul Stagg

If Jane does in fact have an eating disorder, I would keep my trap shut, and my advice should be ignored, other than to refer her back to a doctor. I haven't the foggiest idea how to help someone suffering from an actual eating disorder. If Jane does in fact have an eating disorder, I'm going to delete this entire thread, as none of us have any business giving her advice, other than to seek help from trained professionals.

Couldn't have put it better. thats why he's the super mod!:)