PDA

View Full Version : Middle-aged married fat man's journal

JohnCollins
11-10-2002, 02:35 PM
WARNING This first post is a long one. Grab a beer or a cup of coffee.

Well, I finally decided to do it. Get organized. Start a Journal. Invite encouragement or a$$kickin PRN. Why? Iím not making progress, thatís why!

My history

Iím 46 years old and in reasonable shape. Three years ago, I was a totally out of shape couch potato. About then I started karate training with my kids as a way to get in shape. Unfortunately, unless you are doing it 5 days a week, karate will not get you in shape, but it definitely will point out those physical things which, ahem, need improvement :D. So, last fall, I decided I either needed to get serious about strength training or quit karate. I erroneously thought Iíd hate strength training, find it boring, painful, etcetera, but I decided to grit my teeth and get to it so I could keep up my karate training with my kids.

Am I glad I did! Much to my surprise, strength training is FUN! Yes, itís work, but it is thoroughly enjoyable. Itís a great stress reliever, relaxes me afterwards, is a wonderful time to ďget your head togetherĒ while listening to good tunes. I find I simply canít stay uptight in my basement gym or think about work or anything else, for that matter. My gym time has become my little refuge of sanity in all the craziness that life brings.

Since I started resistance training, several things have happened. My weight has dropped. Iíve gotten a lot more solid (no more jiggly ďmoobsĒ!) and my balance and flexibility have improved. Iím pretty happy about all that, but I want to take it to the next level.

My goals

Why a journal, and why now? Well, for the last year, my training has simply been too haphazard. I might train 3-4 times one week (rare) or go as long as 8 days between workouts, although normally, I get 2 workouts a week in, on average. Iíve constantly fiddled with my routines, trying things from books or magazines, everything from full-body routines, to upper/lower or push/pull splits to 3-day splits where I just kill whatever body part Iím working. Naturally, Iím not making the progress I should because Iím not sticking with anything, and Iíve gotten kind of frustrated. I never stick with anything for enough time to get in a groove, and my training is too haphazard.

Here are my goals. 1) get on a program and hit the weights at least 3 times every week, no excuses, 2) gain strength for explosive power generation 3) complement and donít interfere with karate training. On some splits I was doing so much I couldnít train in karate due to DOMS, and thatís no good at all. One leg day I did 3 sets of squats (10-12 reps), 3 sets of lunges, 3 sets of leg extensions, romanian deadlifts, leg curls, calf raises. . .I missed two karate workouts! No good.

Iím not a bodybuilder, per se. Iím also not ever gonna eat like some of you folks, because I just donít care enough to ever cut. Iím eating better now, drinking less beer, eating less pasta and breads and more fruits and clean proteins. Iím more likely to snack on a Zone bar than a donut or candy bar. Iím 6 feet tall exactly, 200 lbs. and have no idea what my BF% is except I know itís too high. I donít care enough to measure it, frankly. If I got to 190 and got even a little more solid, Iíd be delighted, ecstatic, even. So while I invite motivational comments, encouragement, and ďget moving again you lazy bum! :swear: Iím not really looking for ďlooking good there, John, but have you considered working on your shoulders more? Your lats have gotten a little ahead of them and you could work on your symmetry, too.Ē Actually a more likely comment would be, ďDonít those kidney pads bother you, old man? Lose weight!!Ē But you get what I mean, I think.

I also would really love comments from the older guys around here. Bennett Boy, you are closer to my age than most of the young studs on the board and you look GREAT. Iíd love it if you and a couple of the other ďseniorĒ members checked in on me once in a while. BTW, I know youíre younger than me and Iím not trying to make you old before your time, but somehow tips from you will probably seem more reasonable than from Big Chasey Chase, I suspect.

Anyway, Iíve decided to start my ďget organizedĒ phase with WBB Routine #1 because itís likely as good as or better than anything else I could find. Very smart folks around here, so aside from the fact that Maki designed it, Iím sure he had lots of feedback from others and itís pretty finely-tuned, so no more perusing magazines looking for the ďperfectĒ routine. Screw it, Iíve had ďanalysis paralysisĒ long enough.

If you want to see what Iím training in, hereís a thread with pix of my basement gym.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18321

Yes, I know, I use a smith machine for squats. Iíll make a deal with you all. I promise to wear pink tights while using it if you all promise not to give me any of your opinionated bullsh|t about it, and weíll call it even, OK? ;) I like it, for squats. And it works. If you want to take issue with that statement, PM W8_4_Me and heíll set you straight. Iíve also got the barbells and dumbbells and other stuff I need, as well as a high/low cable deal and a great bench and roman chair. I am actually looking for a used power cage and will probably pick one up soon. Iím primarily a free-weight guy, but I like the smith for certain things (just a few) and I love the cable stations.

Next post is my first workout.

JohnCollins
11-10-2002, 02:35 PM
Okay, First workout day was actually yesterday, Saturday, November 9, 2002. WBB Routine #1 Day One.

No sniggling about the wimpy weight because, a) I am a wimp, and b) I know I could increase the weights because Iím coming down from 3 sets of 10-12 reps for the most part, to 2 sets of 6-8, but I donít know how much, so Iím being extra careful. I donít want to goof myself up and I want to not get too much DOMS so as not to interfere with karate classes. I have enough aches and pains and snap, crackle, pop going on in the dojang without adding to my own misery! I am a stickler for perfect form on everything and do slow, controlled movements.

I will be bumping the weights up over a few weeks as I fine-tune this and find out what I can handle. Iím nothing if not patient.

Flat DB presses 42.5 lbs. 2X8 -- move wt. up next time
Decline smith machine presses 100X8 110X8 -- move wt. up next time
Chin ups 2X6 with some assist from resting toes on bench (told you I was a wimp!)
Deadlift 135X8 twice -- move wt. up next time
Bent over BB rows 82X8 92X8 -- move wt. up next time
DB shrugs 45 lbs. 2X8 -- move wt. up next time
Close grip smith machine press 85X8 and 90X8 -- move wt. up next time

Today, a beautiful amount of DOMS, just noticeable when I stretch. Perfect, wouldnít interfere with karate at all if I was working today. I think this 2 set, low rep deal is gonna work out great for me. I can push almost all the weights up next time. I was actually a little too cautious on this one, but what the heck.

Food, not going crazy, but I had 2 beers last night while watching Sum of All Fears. Great movie and at least I didnít have 6, like I used to do. Ate OK most of the day. My pre-workout shake is 1 cup milk, 1 cup OJ, 1 banana (or pear or strawberries or pineapple or whatever), 1 tblsp. peanut butter (Jiff! A pox on natural peanut butter! Choosy mothers choose Jiff!) 3 tblsp of soy protein, 1 tsp glutamine. Post workout, had an apple, couple slices of lean roast beef and a chunk of cheese and some Gatorade and water.

Off today, but lugging bags of garden rocks around and moving furniture. Next workout Monday morning!

galileo
11-10-2002, 02:56 PM
:spam:

New journal! New journal!

Budiak
11-10-2002, 03:42 PM
I'd say oimit the peanut butter from your post workout shake, Johnny. Your body is begging for nutrients, and that fat will be stored. Get fast carbs and fast proteins, oj is fine, milk, too, but soy protein is for little girls.If whey gives you gas, put up with it. If anyone complains, call them a sissy.

BTW I'd need at least a sixer to get through SOAF again. Ben Affleck sucks chode, that babyfaced piece of talentless ****.

JohnCollins
11-10-2002, 03:50 PM
Cool, thanks! I didn't know there was a difference between proteins. And I'm not a big fan of Ben Affleck, either, but I like the CIA director a lot (can't remember his name) and the movie was entertaining. Not great, but entertaining. I wouldn't buy it for my collection, that's for sure.

Franjipani
11-10-2002, 04:25 PM
Good luck with your goals JohnCollins:thumbup:... you will be changing the title of your journal in no time;).

btw... soy protein ROCKS

JohnCollins
11-10-2002, 04:56 PM
Ooooh. Ladies drop by, too! Way cool! Thanks.

Budiak
11-10-2002, 07:15 PM
For women, soy protein is no problem. Too much of it in the male system will cause estrogen production. Then you will be a middle aged WOMAN.

rookiebldr
11-10-2002, 11:12 PM
Oh this could be my journal with a title like that! :D :D esp. since I watched Sum of all Fears last night as well. Had I'd known you were watching it too, I would have opened a beer to join you (dispite my diet). I too like the CIA director (Morgan Freeman) and the begining of the movie wasn't too bad. I thought it really sucked after the bomb blew up. But I guess it need to follow close to the storyline of the book.

Anyway, glad to see you started a journal. My journal here also started with WBB #1. I love the routine and used it for 8 weeks before moving on to WBB #2. I found that switching to the lower volume really help kick start some improvements, so I hope it does the same for you.

When you say senior, wasn't sure if you meant older ppl *raises hand* or with more lifting experienced *lowers hand*. j/k

Good luck John.

JohnCollins
11-11-2002, 04:50 AM
Either or both, thanks for coming! Well, 5:30, downstairs to work!

Jane
11-11-2002, 04:58 AM
I'm not a senior member, but *does tap dance* here I am anyway.

Soy and men don't mix. As for everything else, keep it up, John! :thumbup:

JohnCollins
11-11-2002, 06:07 AM
Well howdy, Jane! Young folks are welcome, too! I just want to encourage some of the geritol crowd for comments because they'll understand where I'm at physically better than you you younguns. Seems most of the expertise here is concentrated in the more youthful members, though, now that I think of it. Oh well.

Second workout. 1 cup OJ with one scoop of that nasty soy upon getting up at 5:30 (ouch). 5 minute warm up on the Nordic Track.

WBB #1 - Day Two Split - Legs.

Smith squats - 135X8 warm up 155X8 165X8 start at 165 next time
Hack squats - 135X6 on smith 100X8 with BB these feel funny, never did them before-stay light until you have the form down and are confident in your back
Leg curls- single leg 30X8 30X8 stay at 30, last rep, first set, and last 2 reps second set, had to assist with other leg, then did negative single leg
Romanian deadlift 82X8 82X8 can raise this next time
Standing calf raises w/30# DB and 200# bodywt = 230X8 230X8 can go to 35 DB next time

stretched for a few minutes, had shake,
1 cup milk, one fresh squeezed juice orange, 3 tblsp soy protein, one banana, 6 cashews.

Well, I would have slept in this morning for sure if I didn't have to fill this in. It's working! All of two days. Let's see how long it lasts!

JPC

Pup
11-11-2002, 06:12 AM
Bout time you started a journal assface ;)

...i don't know wtf a pox is, but stop eating that goddamn hydrogenated sh!t...and if you are going to put some fat in the post shake; do it with flaxseed oil. Another thing, dietary fat consumed won't necessarily be stored as fat as long as you don't create a huge insulin spike, but if that's what you are trying to accomplish in that post workout shake, then i'd agree with teh budiak and keep it to protein and simple carbs.

oh yea...almost forgot...:spam:

IceRgrrl
11-11-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by JohnCollins

Am I glad I did! Much to my surprise, strength training is FUN! Yes, itís work, but it is thoroughly enjoyable. Itís a great stress reliever, relaxes me afterwards, is a wonderful time to ďget your head togetherĒ while listening to good tunes. I find I simply canít stay uptight in my basement gym or think about work or anything else, for that matter. My gym time has become my little refuge of sanity in all the craziness that life brings.

Well said...that's exactly how I feel about my gym time...and why I've stuck with it for so long. :)

Glad you started a journal...it will be a fun read, I can tell already. I think your goals and your routine show a great balance between what you want to do and practicality. Keep up the good work!

JohnCollins
11-11-2002, 11:31 AM
Ah, the "Food Nazi" has arrived! The difference between me and the food nazis is that I don't think hydrogenated oils and red meat are necessarily poisonous. We just eat too damn much of it in this country. Sooooo. I eat mostly lean chicken or turkey or tuna most of the time and I get the grilled chicken and skip the fries if I have to eat at McDonalds because I'm on the run. I replaced most of my butter with olive oil and there are NO hydrogenated oils in the house, I even cook eggs in olive oil now. Or half olive oil and half butter if I'm feeling particularly reckless. I get low-fat cheeses when I use cheese most of the time. I'm eating more apples and pears and pineapple and stuff and less breads and pasta, and I try to eat whole grains instead of highly processed stuff.

On the other hand, since I'm doing this (and I'm NOT bodybuilding, remember?), I don't feel like I have to go to confession when I have a NY Strip steak like I did last night. And I've tried natural peanut butter and I prefer Jiff! For the amount of peanut butter I eat, it's just not worth worrying about. I eat dry-roasted nuts more than peanut butter, anyway.

The difference between me and the food nazis is I understand life is a degenerative process, and I'm OK with that. As you get older you begin to come to terms with your own mortality. So, Rob, you are entirely welcome here, and I'd like you to keep coming and offering exercise advice. . . but I will not eat plywood and water so keep your food nazi comments to yourself!! :swear:

There, I feel better, now, thank you. I'm going to continue to commit food sins, but the way I eat today as opposed to a year ago is 500% better. I'm gonna die someday. What the hell.

That said, I do have questions about this whole protein thing and a "recovery shake". Budiak was schooling me on different protein formulations last night on AIM and I am given to understand that I will grow moobs if I keep eating that 95% soy protein. Good enough, it tastes like crap anyway. Rob probably likes it!

If I'm not bulking or cutting, I just don't want to get fatter, and I want my muscle to grow reasonably, do I need an immediate post-workout shake? Budiak suggested the proteinfactory post training formula (25% CFM Whey isolate, 25% hydrolyzed whey 520 and 50% maltodextrin). Since I'm not a bodybuilder maybe I don't need any of this crap? How about I come back upstairs from a workout in my basement and slam a cup of low-fat (not NO fat, Rob, back off *shakes fist*) cottage cheese and a cup of orange juice? Maybe I'm overcomplexifying my life. Or should I buy the proteinfactory stuff?? I'm SOOOOOO confused! :cry:

I feel like I worked out, my muscles know it, but I feel great. I am going to be able to do well in karate class tonight, I can tell that, too. I gotta get to where that hack squat feels "right" and kick the weights up, but I think I'm gonna be much better on this WBB#1 routine than all the flipping around stuff I used to do.

Thanks, all! What a great board! I'm getting all this help, I'm tempted to send you all one of Eric's famous hugs. But I won't. ;)

JPC

galileo
11-11-2002, 11:49 AM
I added you to my AIM buddy list. Expect gratuitous harassment in the days to come.

:D

JohnCollins
11-11-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by galileo
I added you to my AIM buddy list. Expect gratuitous harassment in the days to come.

:D

Uh oh! :hide:

Pup
11-11-2002, 04:13 PM
John my friend...i only mention the hydrogenated PB because i'm worried about your heart...and i never expect anyone to eat as i do, i'm a sick freak, something that you would keep away from small children and farm animals :)

xraygirl
11-11-2002, 05:09 PM
Ah, the "Food Nazi" has arrived! The difference between me and the food nazis is that I don't think hydrogenated oils and red meat are necessarily poisonous. We just eat too damn much of it in this country.
:withstupi
Okay, I take that back. Just say "NO!" to margarine.

That said, I do have questions about this whole protein thing and a "recovery shake". Budiak was schooling me on different protein formulations last night on AIM and I am given to understand that I will grow moobs if I keep eating that 95% soy protein. Good enough, it tastes like crap anyway. Rob probably likes it!
Yep, Budiak is right! Oh, and stop picking on Pup! tuttut

Thanks, all! What a great board! I'm getting all this help, I'm tempted to send you all one of Eric's famous hugs. But I won't. ;)

uh...good ;)

ectx
11-11-2002, 05:16 PM
Hey JC...cool journal. I love your "sage" posts. And by sage I mean totally wise...not totally old. *insert big grin here* And yeah...Ben Affleck sucks Chode, but Morgan Freeman...well, he's the man.

JohnCollins
11-11-2002, 08:22 PM
xraygirl! Congratulations on Master Sergeant! :clap: I spent ten years on active duty in the AF. MSgt is a BIG honor! I salute you!

There's been entirely too much encouragement here for two days of absolutely wimp lifting. I feel like I'm being set up for the abuse coming later Galileo has only hinted at.

And I love pup! I just need to bust his stones once in a while. Pup, you ever get to Philly I'll absolutely kill ya with the local eats! Cheese steaks, Italian hoagies, funnel cake, tomato pie. . .you'll never be the same again!

Not to mention YUENGLING LAGER! Then we'll go workout. Of course.

Off to DC tomorrow, no posts until I workout Wednesday.

P.S. Forgot my wife's homemade Tiramisu. :D

xraygirl
11-11-2002, 08:32 PM
I haven't made MSgt yet. I will next year though. Trying to get into that positive mind-set. Have fun in DC

WillKuenzel
11-11-2002, 10:50 PM
Great to see you've started a journal. Nothing against those that don't but it seems to add a level to the determination, to get back here and post results.

About the post workout shake. Budiak's got it on the mark, but the real idea is just to quickly replenish the nutrients that you just used, so that your body doesn't release cortisol. Besides that by quickly giving your body what it needs, you won't feel quite the side effects of having a strenous workout; i.e. the tiredness and fatigue.

Tryska
11-12-2002, 06:13 AM
wow...either i'm really strong or you really are a wimp, mr collins. your weights and mine are almost on par, altho, you are kicking my ass on bench, but that's to be expected.

i have a feeling working in the lower rep range, you will see your weights jump remarkably tho. tis what happened to me.

as for soy protein and men, i'm reneging on my past paranoia on the subject. from what i've read as of late, the phytoestrogens in soy block aromatase, therefore keeping men from converting test to estrogen so easily. soy also contains phyto-androgens, and is the source of natural test supplements.

of course with all these wonderful phyto-hormones in it, it can't be good for anyone in large amounts, but i think your fine taking the amount that you are taking now.
good luck man! :thumbup:

Budiak
11-12-2002, 09:38 AM
Dont listen to what Tryska said, in the light of the fact that soy protein tastes like complete ****. Like crap on a crap cracker. Like hydrolyzed zombie cum.

Its yuckie.

ElPietro
11-12-2002, 09:47 AM
Jeez...just get some fookin whey, and some fookin malto and mix it with water. No rocket science, or secret formula required. Try not to ingest fat post workout, it slows digestion down and isn't really what your body is looking for at that time anyway.

Glad to see you finally made a journal old man. ;) Pay no attention to Tryska, you'll be whipping her sorry as$ in no time. Just watch out for your hands. *holds up stumps* :(

Tryska
11-12-2002, 09:51 AM
very hard to do deadlifts with stumps isn't it lp?

Relentless
11-12-2002, 09:55 AM
He uses straps.

And welcome to the wonderful world of Journalkeeping, JC.

ElPietro
11-12-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Callahan
He uses straps.

Pfft! Don't you dare put me in the same category as some other heathens in this site...you...you..scurvy knave! :swear:

Question for John: Have you been training all along, and just started a journal? Or is making this journal symbolic of you training more regularly, or starting to train regularly?

Tryska
11-12-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Callahan
He uses straps.

pfft. i never should have let him keep the opposable thumbs.

Paul Stagg
11-12-2002, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure if i should post here as an old fella or a whippersnapper.

I mean, I'm 14 years youger than JC, and 15 years older than Jane.

What to do, what to do...

JC - I think you've got it right. There is no need for the average dude to make HUGE lifestyle changes to make changes in body composition, health, and fitness. Moderation is a good thing.

Budiak
11-12-2002, 03:39 PM
PAULIE IS OLD!

You're what...11 years older than me then?

Fogie.

JohnCollins
11-12-2002, 06:12 PM
Yikes! This is a busy place. Let's see. Thank you, HomeYield, I'll get that stuff B recommended and suck it down.

T, I have NFC what you were talking about, but if there's even the remotest chance soy wil make me grow bitch tits, it's outa there! I'm tossing it unless you want me to mail it to you? And my first wimp comment. I told you that! I'm being overly cautious because I've screwed up before and gotten so much DOMS I couldn't train in karate class and that's not what I'm after. Plus, I know the weights will go up when I go from 3 sets of 10-12 to 2 sets of 6-8, I just don't know how much. Being basically chicken, I'm creeping up on it slowly. And since you chopped off ElP's limbs, I hear he's learned to use, ermm, another part of his anatomy to lift with. His dating life has picked up considerably since he started working that body part, too, I hear. :D

ElPietro, howdy, bud! I've been training since January, but being a very analy guy, I've read every magazine, perused every website, and read several books on it and bought a basement full of toys I wanted to play with (I'm like Tim the ToolMan Taylor, gotta use all the attachments) and I was all over the place on workouts, regularity, etcetera. It's in that admittedly way too long first post, but I'd work myself to death and not be able to move, or work too many times a week, or worse, go 8-9 days without working out.

I just decided to settle down with WBB#1 for 8 weeks and do it 3 days a week, come hell or high water, and I know several folks *looks at Budiak* will give me tons of sh|t if I don't stick with it. And I saw how much fun you all have with your journals.

The nice thing it's attracted many of my favorite folks! Who's new? Hi Callahan! Uncle Paulie! You'll be dissappointed to know I still use that stinking smith machine, but I was lusting after a rack today.

In fact, you'll all be happy to know I stopped by the "Weightlifting Hall of Fame" at the York Barbell factory and museum today! I happened to be driving by between appointments and saw the sign and flipped around and stopped in. It's a neat museum with lots of photos and article from old strongmen from the turn of the century, and old training equipment and trophies and such. Had some sweet equipment in the factory store, too. There was even a nice hall-of-famer there, and I've already forgotten his name. Very nice fellow.

Well, T, I'll do split 3 tomorrow and see if I can't beat your weight ;). I'd rather move them up slowly rather than make a big jump and risk getting hurt. Good thing I don't suffer from ego problems, eh?

Wish me luck. I'm about to install Windows XP. If you don't hear from me for a week, it means I threw the computer out the window!

JC

ElPietro
11-12-2002, 09:22 PM
And since you chopped off ElP's limbs, I hear he's learned to use, ermm, another part of his anatomy to lift with. His dating life has picked up considerably since he started working that body part, too, I hear. :D

LOL! Oh man...somebody find me that thread I made long ago with the guy doing a curl with his unit! :cool:

John sorry if I missed it, but do you have specific goals from your routine? Is physique the priority? Or strength? Just curious as that will definitely impact what rep range you should be in.

JohnCollins
11-13-2002, 05:37 AM
Hi ElP! I'm glad you're here because you're a martial artist. I guess my goals are 1) general health and fitness, 2) improve my martial arts performance, and 3) then physique, or looks considerations. Even though I haven't been very regular in my efforts, I've noticed strength, flexibility, and balance improvements and I've lost 20 lbs this year and my chest is now bigger than my waist instead of the other way around. I will start to watch what I eat more becuase I just am gradually getting more conscious of it, but I'm a "moderation" guy, not a "weigh everything and eat like a saint" kind of guy. I had one beer last night, for example. I can't ever imagine me worrying about having one beer because of my physique--ever. I'm glad I'm not having 3-4 on a weeknight anymore, however.

Physique-wise, I'd just like to continue to look "better", but I'm not laying out size goals or anything. Staying healthy and keeping up (as much as I can that is) with my kids in karate are my main goals. I started WBB#1 because a) it's probably a damn smart routine and b) it's regular. Anything with structure to it is probably better than the fiddling around I was doing. I want to make decent, gradual gains (I'm extremely patient) while not getting more than just a touch of DOMS, so I'm not sore in the dojang. I've decided to really run WBB#1 for a couple months regardless and see how it works for me. After that I might go to #2 or put together something else, but my main goal with the journal is to get 3 regular, structured workouts a week.

The XP install failed. Luckily I got back to ME. I'll have to buy our network engineer a case of beer to come over and fiddle with it. I no longer have the patience for these damn things. Believe it or not, I used to be a "geek" back in DOS days. I hate these things.

I'm taking today off, not because I'm slacking, but because I'm shifting my schedule one day. Workouts will now be Su, Tu, Th and karate is M, W, Sa. Friday nights I sit on the couch and eat pizza and drink beer.

Tryska
11-13-2002, 05:41 AM
C:\>Format C:\

JohnCollins
11-13-2002, 05:49 AM
How about chk-chk, BOOM as in shotgun?

Just got a Clavinova, though, don't have a new computer in the budget. Wifey would kill me. That's such a fun thought, though, when I eventuallyl do get a new machine, I think I'll "put this one out of it's misery" that way.

JohnCollins
11-14-2002, 06:02 AM
OK. Got my workout in this morning. Continuing with my wimpy lifts, Tryska, get ready to diss them! ;)

This is WBB #1, third split, first time at this so still checking my weight limits.

Standing military BB press 62# 2X8 can bump wt next time
Seated mil DB press 25DB X8 27 1/2 DB X8 can bump wt next time
Standing lateral raise 10# 2X10 stay here one more time
Close grip smith press 85$ 2X8 can bump wt next time but watch right elbow
Lyig french press 45# EZ bar 2X8 superset with
EZ Bar curl 45# 2X8 stay here once more for right elbow
Hammer curls 20# DB 1X8 can bump wt next time

I feel good, I'm easing into this and not getting DOMS to speak of, and karate class was a breeze last night, although it wasn't a really intense class.

Eating yesterday wasn't good. Mama made fried lumpia for breakfast-yummy, but that got my fried jones going. Had grilled chicken for lunch, but succumbed to the fries too (damnit!). Felt guilty, so assuaged my guilt with a donut back at the office. My assistant brings in donuts every Wednesday even though I threaten him with bodily harm for it.

Well, skipped the beer last night in penance. "Say three Hail Marys and NO BEER FOR YOU, you unrepentant sinner!"

Notes on first time through routine--gotta work on my lower back and hip flexibility so I can do deadlifts and hack squats better. Bye all!

P.S. I'm trying to catch up in your journals, but I gotta read like 15 pages for all of you so it will take me a week or so. I'll say hi in them sooner or later.

Tryska
11-14-2002, 06:49 AM
you can raise the weight on that lateral raise. you did 10 freakin reps.

or stay at the weight, and superset with one of your OHPs. (why 2 shoulder presses, btw?)

and why first thing in your workout? get the bench out of the way first as it's your compounds, and then swing into your isos.

galileo
11-14-2002, 07:23 AM
Raise all of your weights now. The end.

JohnCollins
11-14-2002, 04:28 PM
Hmmmmmmm. Want to expand on that, Galileo? I'm a little unclear as to what you're getting at ;).

Tryska, I copied the WBB #1 routine. I don't know why they set it up that way. I'm just doing it, figuring there must be a reason. *salutes smartly* 10 was the published target for the lateral raises. I just printed it out and started doing it, I'm not going to fiddle with it. I copied it below. Maybe I misunderstand what the 3rd day exercises are?? Please help if I did. Thx.

I will up the weights. When going from the 3 sets of 10-12, I knew I could raise them, for 2X6-8, but I just didn't no how much. Next week will be huge. I'll bump them all.

I told you I was a wimp in the first post, didn't I? Thanks, all. Keep doggin me. I hope to not be a wimp anymore in a couple months.

Below is the routine I copied from the routines section

WBB Routine #1 Split and Exercise Selection

Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Day 2 : OFF

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 4 : OFF

Day 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps

Triceps :

Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Biceps :

Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps

Day 6 : OFF

Day 7 : OFF

Abs to be done on any training day of personal choice.

Crunches : 4 x 8-10 reps

Tryska
11-15-2002, 12:21 PM
ahh..didn't realize you were following the wbb routine....carry on then.

ElPietro
11-15-2002, 12:23 PM
Don't worry about Tina...she's all bark with no bite. You'll be able to take her in no time. :)

JohnCollins
11-15-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
Don't worry about Tina...she's all bark with no bite. You'll be able to take her in no time. :)

He says, confidently, with stumps where his arms used to be! ;)

Tryska
11-15-2002, 08:32 PM
*lol* that's right john.

and don't you forget it lp.

Maki Riddington
11-15-2002, 08:37 PM
So this is where everyone hangs out.

From Meet The Parents........ * I'm watching you, ya you...*

JohnCollins
11-17-2002, 06:56 PM

Last week this workout

Flat DB presses 42.5 lbs. 2X8 -- move wt. up next time
Decline smith machine presses 100X8 110X8 -- move wt. up next time
Chin ups 2X6 with some assist from resting toes on bench (told you I was a wimp!)
Deadlift 135X8 twice -- move wt. up next time
Bent over BB rows 82X8 92X8 -- move wt. up next time
DB shrugs 45 lbs. 2X8 -- move wt. up next time
Close grip smith machine press 85X8 and 90X8 -- move wt. up next time

Let's see, second time around on this one. Still wimpy, but most moved up. I tried the deadlifts on the smith machine last week because it raises the bar for me a little. It felt awkward, though, so I did regular deads today. But my hip and back flexibility aren't what they should be and I nearly fell over, and scared myself so I lowered the weight on that one. I can handle more weight, I'm sure, when I'm confident I can handle the movement itself properly. Oh well.

Today

Flat DB presses 47.5lbs. 2X8 can go higher next time again
Incline DB presses 47.5 lbs. 2X8 can go higher next time again
Close grip smith press 100 2X8 presses were OK, but right elbow is stressed with these, stick here next week
Chinups 2X6 assisted (feet on bench)
Deadlift 112 lbs. 2X8 got to get to feeling comfortable with the movement-makes me nervous
Bent over BB rows 112 lbs. 2X8 felt fine once I got the bar up
DB Shrugs 50 lb. DBs 2X8 felt fine

after workout shake - 1 cup milk, half cup OJ, one banana, 3 scoops soy protein, 1 tsp glutamine.

Till next time!

JPC

Budiak
11-17-2002, 09:06 PM
John, on the deadlift, it makes everyone a little nervous at first. Make sur eyou've got form down pat before you start hitting heavy weights. Once you've got a very strong lower back, you'll be able to rperform rediculous- once idiotic stunts in the house, like moving furniture, etc, like you'd never imagined, because you have the confidence of knowing that you can lift the ****ing couch or fridge with just your lower back.

I used to lift with my back at work when I'd unload photographic paper from shipments. Big rolls of paper, 100 yards of 6-inch wide resin covered paper as thick as card stock, weighed a little over 25lbs a roll. Came two in a box, so a little over 50lbs. I'd lift two at a time bending over, people would be so shocked...but I was like 'But my lower back is the strongest part of my body! FAG!

And anyways, make sure you keep the bar close to or touching your legs at all time, nice wide footing, plant the heels into the ground and never lift with your toes, it can tip you over and really cause some damage to your feet, especially when doing higher weights. My deadlift has been stagnating because of my ill progress in legs due to poor form during squats. Now that I've got that taken care of, my DL is going up again. So dont forget the rest of the body, white man.

And EAT!

JohnCollins
11-18-2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Budiak
John, on the deadlift, it makes everyone a little nervous at first. Make sur eyou've got form down pat before you start hitting heavy weights. . .

And anyways, make sure you keep the bar close to or touching your legs at all time, nice wide footing, plant the heels into the ground and never lift with your toes, it can tip you over and really cause some damage to your feet, especially when doing higher weights.

And EAT!

Zactly what happened. I can't quite squat down straight enough, so I was leaning forward a bit and up on the balls of my feet. Almost took a header and scared the crap out of myself. I really don't want to overuse the smith machine--I like it for squats and things like close grip presses, but that's about it. I use DB or BB for everything else and it seems like a stupid thing to use for deadlifts, although it does bring the bar up a little bit.

I'm gonna keep working on my form and trying to limber up. I also replaced the 25 lb. plates I had loaded up with 50's because they are bigger diameter and raise the bar a bit. If I don't get comfortable with it eventually, I'll likely have a power rack and can pull it off the outside of the rack or I can make little stands to raise the bar, but I think with a little practice I'll get the exercise right.

Anyone found any videos on the Internet besides ExRx (too small and grainy) which shows good DL form?

JPC

Franjipani
11-18-2002, 02:32 PM
Heya John,

Just wanted to say I'm glad your family are safe & well. It takes experiences like this for us to appreciate & be grateful for what we do have rather than focusing on what we don't have... :).

Take care..

ElPietro
11-18-2002, 02:37 PM
If you deadlift in a smith again, I may fly down there just to give you a good swift kick in the ass! tuttut

JohnCollins
11-18-2002, 08:22 PM
:eek: OK, I won't! I promise!

I thought it was stupid when I was doing it, but I knew I'd have trouble getting down to the floor, and I did. I'll keep at it. I need to limber up anyway, it's hurting my karate big time.

ElPietro
11-18-2002, 08:25 PM
You could just use dumbells for starters until you get the hang of things. The smith is bad because deads are sorta a multiplane movement...it is not strictly a vertical motion, so the smith will only teach you bad form on this exercise. You can't really lean back into the lift if you need to, hence when you probably should be leaning back, you can't so your balance feels like it is falling forward...or something.

Budiak
11-19-2002, 03:32 AM
The whole point of the lift is making it purposefully hard on the back, so as to force its involvement.

Like the bench. I'm sure we could lift that weight with a pully system...

galileo
11-22-2002, 05:29 PM
Smith evil! Smith evil!

JohnCollins
11-24-2002, 09:17 PM
LORDY! What a foocockta week this has been! And I'm a whining wimp again. I worked out today (Sunday) for the first time since last Sunday. I'm pissed.

Well, actually I feel pretty good right now, but I was pissed. I'm feeling pretty good now because I worked out like heck this weekend and I'm on my third Tawny port right now. First the whining lament, then the workout.

Whining Lament Skip if not interested-I won't mind

Why no workouts this week? Well, Tuesday morning should have been my first. But I was behind the wheel, moving, at 5:30 am. Screw the rest of you disciplined bastards who would have worked out anyway, but I wasnt' getting up at 3:30 to get a workout in, I'm too old for that sh|t! Figured I'd get it in Wednesday. So, after a meeting in Washington DC, I go to get my car out of the garage -- at 8:10 pm mind you -- and the garage is locked up tighter than a snare drum! Gates down, no lights, my car inside. Arrrrgh! I find a Marriott around the corner and settle in at the bar for a long (too long) night of single malt scotch sampling. Mmmm. Balvenie, Talisker, MacCallan, Glen Rothes. . .one or two others. Get up, have breakfast in the clothes from the day before (I must have looked like a homeless guy who just got a suit out of a dumpster and came in for breakfast!), get my car and head home.

Now I have to hang this chandelier in our two-story foyer because painters are there with a scaffolding and it's leaving that afternoon. Get that bastard hung, shower, shave and get to the office. Then off to Red Bank, NJ for a wine and cigar tasting one of our clients is throwing to drum up business. (I have a tough job, folks--involves a lot of forced drinking, eating in nice restaurants, going to girlie bars, smoking cigars. . .it's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it, as they say!) Get home at 1:30 am.

Don't even remember what I did Thursday, but I wasn't working out in the morning, that's for sure. My head hurt. Actually, my head hurt the previous morning, too.

Friday, full day at work, I was too wiped out to work out at 5:30 as is my norm, and that night took my eighth-grade daughter to a HS dance, at the invite of a nice young sophomore. Catholic boys school and he's in our karate association, so I'm kinda conflicted. Want to let her grow up, you know, but a HS dance when she's in 8th grade? Well, what the heck. I took her, we got home around 11:30.

Saturday, 9 am to 4 pm karate clinic with my daughter. Warmup calisthenics and cardio with a certified fitness instructor with his own dojang. Smoked us for half an hour. Then one of my former instructors takes over drill. When we went up and down the gym five time just doing low blocks, I knew we were f****d. Just f*****d. "You know, we can just keep doing these techniques until you give me your best! Give it to me early so we can get out of here, people!" Sadist. Actually, I love the guy, dearly, and his workouts are good, but I need this on a Saturday morning after the week I've had?

Go to a couple of breakout session, some really good ones on hand techniques and one on Filipino stick fighting, where I get my index finger knuckle rapped with the stick, but good. FU(K that hurt! Couldn't bend my index finger until today, after the second port, as a matter of fact. It's either OK now, or I'm anesthetized, because I'm typing OK.

Anyway, my buddy instructor gets closing drill at 3:30 in the afternoon. Great. Now he goes into one of his drill routines where we do a couple techniques, then drop for 1 pushup. Then do the techniques, and 2 pushups. Then technique and 3, and 4 and 5 up to ten pushups. Doesn't sound like much, but I've been taking abuse all day. Then forms. Lots of them.

Get home, think about working out, then laugh and head for the soaking tub with a glass of wine. Went to bed at 8:00 am. Asked Lisa if she wasn't tired from the day's events, and she replies, all bubbly, "No, dad, I feel great! Why? Are you tired?" Shut up, kid, you're annoying. I'll remember this when you're my age, I promise!

Today, I almost talked myself into skipping the workout, but I did it. WBB workout 1, split 2, second time around. Still lifting wimpy weights but, but bumping them a little. I hope next week goes better.

The Workout

Smith Squats -- 135 X 8 warmup, 175 X 8, 175X 8
felt good. last time was 155, then 165. can bump wt. again next time
Smith Hack Squats -- 135 X 8, 135 X 8
I've given up doing these BB from the floor until my hip flex gets better or until I build little stands to raise the bar a little
Single-Leg curls -- 30 X 8, 30 X 8
felt good, raise the weight next time
Romanian Deadlifts -- 112 X 8, 112 X 8
Great! last time was 82. Can raise the wt. again next time
Single-leg standing calf raises -- 35 lb. DB, 3 sets of 10
looked at the routine, it calls for 4 sets of this one. stick with the 35 DB next time and do 4 sets. Body weight is 200, so am doing 235 lb. raises each leg

I'm gonna relax tomorrow. Next workout is split 2 on Tuesday.

Bed. Mmmmmmm, that will feel good. I'm not even gonna pester momma for any nookie tonight! Mmmmm. Nice cold sheets. Bed.

Bye!

PowerManDL
11-24-2002, 09:21 PM
Since you've had a busy week I won't flame you for using the Smitch machine.

Till tomorrow.

JohnCollins
11-24-2002, 09:28 PM
Well, at least you're giving me a day off and putting me on notice. Thanks, I appreciate that! ;)

JohnCollins
11-26-2002, 06:31 AM
Back on Schedule!

Well, after missing a week last week, I got my second workout in right on schedule. Kinda sucky lifts, though, my left shoulder was sore and week. I don't know if it's because I didn't properly warm up or because I'm still blasted from Saturday's all-day karate clinic. Oh, well. I feel pretty good and I'm ready to take on the day!

The Workout

Standing overhead press -- 62 lbs, 2 X 8
Bump to maybe 65 next time. Last reps were still pretty tough
Seated DB Presses -- 25 lbs., 2 X 8
down a little from last time, but left side was weak
Standing lateral raise -- 10 lbs X 8, 8 lbs X 10
Weak!
Close grip smith press -- 85 lbs., X 8, 90 lbs. X 8
Right elbow still a little twingy but start at 90 next time
EZ-bar Skull crusher -- 45 lb., 2 X 8
Could lift more, but stay here one more time for right elbow - maybe go 47.5 supersetted with
EZ-bar curls -- 45 lbs., 2 X 8
could do more, but stick with same wt. as skull crushers
Hammer curls -- 20 lb. DB, 1 X 8

Goal for before year ends - beat Tryska's lifts! Yeah, BAYBEE!

Bye!

McBain
11-26-2002, 06:40 AM
bah, they arent kinda sucky, youre putting in the damn effort and i salute you.

i also hate busy outof control days.

later dude :D

JohnCollins
12-02-2002, 06:13 AM
Damn! I loved having mom and dad in from Chicago, but the holiday was hectic. Had to shop for momma's new car (totalled the other one, as you may recall), got a Christmas tree, visited with the 'rents, cooked most of the Thanksgiving meal. I'm off schedule. Again! Arrrgggh! Well, you know what they say. . .life is what happens to you while you're making other plans.

This workout was actually last Saturday, November 30, not today. I hope to do another one tonight, but don't know yet.

Week 3 - split 1 (It's not actually week 3, it's week 4, but I want to do this routine at least 8 times)

The Workout

Flat DB Press - 50 lb DBs (yay) 2 X 8
was 47.5 last time - can bump 2.5 lbs. next time
Incline DB Press - 50 lb DBx - 2 X 8
was 47.5 last time - can bump 2.5 lbs. next time
Close Grip Smith Press - 100 lbs - 2 X 8
Elbow felt OK this time, can bump next workout
Chinups, assisted - 2 X 6 with 50 lb assist
Wimp! I figured out how to help myself up by putting a straight cable bar under my legs from the high pulley. On my machine I chin right at the high pulley station. I weight 200 lbs. Using good form, but I can't chin my bw yet. :(
Deadlift - still 112 lbs. - 2 X 8
felt good, and my form is better, but until I feel I'm straight enough at the start, I'm gonna keep the weight here. I want perfect form on these.
T-bar rows - 112 lbs. - 2 X 8
made T-bar out of barbell with end in corner and straight handle chained to top. might help with lower back
Shrugs - 100 lbs. - 1 X 10
Did these with smith with bar [b]behind]/b] me. I read this creates much better form. Pull shoulders together in back, stand straight, grip with palms away grip and shrug straight up. I do like them better than DB shrugs. Don't know if it makes any difference on form.

Still looking for a car for momma. She can't decide between a Volvo V-70 wagon (FWD) and a Toyota Highlander (AWD). She keeps asking what I think, but I can only lose here. If she doesn't like it later it will be my fault! Hopefully she can decide later today.

JPC

Budiak
12-02-2002, 06:32 AM
Get the Volvo. **** Toyotas, everyone has a Japanese car.

Plus you'll be buying a Ford product- which is a decidedly uncool act. FIGHT CONFORMITY!

McBain
12-02-2002, 06:40 AM
get her a mitsubishi colt, i hear only the best people own those.

JohnCollins
12-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Well, I did it again. Haven't worked out since last Saturday. A full week. Well, a karate night, but no lifting. Dragging kids around to HS entrance exams, getting Rose's new car, company Christmas party, annual sales meeting (2 days). And the one morning I actually got up early intending to lift- - - I GOT SUCKED INTO THE WBB!! I gotta learn to go to the basement before turning on the computer. You people are EVIL! Resistance is futile. I have been assimilated.

Oh well. Pick yourself up and move on, tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life, and all that happy horse sh|t.

WBB Routine #1 Split 2 - third time around

The Workout

Smith Squats -- 135 X 8 warmup, 180 X 8, two sets
felt good. last time was 175, can bump wt. again next time
Smith Hack Squats -- 140 X 8, two sets
I've given up doing these BB from the floor until my hip flex gets better or until I build little stands to raise the bar a little. Felt good, legs burning
Single-Leg curls -- 35 X 8, two sets
felt good, up from 30 last time-go 37.5 next time
Romanian Deadlifts -- 117 X 8, tow sets
Can raise the wt. again next time
Single-leg standing calf raises -- 35 lb. DB, 3 sets of 10
Body weight is 200. can use more wt. next time

Rose loves the new car. Me too! Volvo V-70 A. Very nice ride for wife and kids. Not as much fun as the 300M, but it is very solid and handles nicely. Love that new car smell.

Gotta go clean up, we're hosting our gourmet club tonight. If I don't get too schnockered, I'm gonna do another workout tomorrow to try to catch up.

JPC

later edit Oh for cryin' out loud, who am I kidding? Of course I'm going to get schnockered tonight. Workout will be Monday morning.

Pup
12-07-2002, 05:58 PM
You pussy!

Budiak
12-07-2002, 07:30 PM
Gourmet club? What kind of faggy **** is this?

Oh, I take it thats slang for 'invite a bunch of old people over and get wasted on expensive booze'.

Carry on.

JohnCollins
12-08-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Budiak
Gourmet club? What kind of faggy **** is this?

Oh, I take it thats slang for 'invite a bunch of old people over and get wasted on expensive booze'.

Well, almost. We use cheap booze because we can't afford to drink the good stuff in the quantities we consume. And food. It's a gourmet club, not an "old people get boozed up" club, so food is involved.

And I guess we're mostly "old" from your perspective--the group ranges from 40-50+. I tried to involve more young people by suggesting we hire local Hooters girls to serve our parties, but some of the guys saved me before I got the wives involved in that discussion and got promptly beaten to death. However, this was our annual Christmas party, so we got dressed up and after a couple bot... er glasses of wine, some of the wives were looking pretty fine! Momma still makes a short skirt look mighty good. *gets down on knees and thanks God* I was very lucky, Rose was perfectly "dosed" at the end of the party (refer to earlier threads on problematic alcohol dosing schedules for very petite women), so the end of the party was quite rousing, if ya know what I mean ;). All in all, a very satisfying evening. I especially liked the ground lamb, feta cheese and currants in phylo dough appetizer and the Cavit Pinot Noir (see? cheap).

And, Mr. Budiak, If you ever have an opportunity to try my miso soup or my beef wellington, or my greek rack of lamb, you would not be complaining about "faggy ****", you misanthropic prick!

And, Mr. Pup, dammmmit!:mad:. . . . . .you're right :cry:

I am gonna work out today, in penance for my lack of discipline last couple of weeks.

He says, confidently. Hmmm, looks like there's some leftover wine from last night. . .

Budiak
12-08-2002, 12:36 PM
I'd eat miso soup but the Japs shot my grandfather. Beef Wellington- I dont support the queen. I'd try the rack of lamb but the Illiad is too long.

Got anything that aint so ethnic?

Tryska
12-09-2002, 08:31 AM
*lol* @ perfectly dosed.

perfectly dosed is always good. i was perfectly dosed saturday night.

friday night was another matter all together. that was a crash and burn night.

ElPietro
12-09-2002, 09:11 AM
I am gonna work out today, in penance for my lack of discipline last couple of weeks.

Good job with the workout! tuttut

JohnCollins
12-09-2002, 07:33 PM
Um. . .Uh. . .Er. . .About the workout. I kinda got sucked into taking the fambly to the big mall for Christmas shopping, and I sat in a cigar bar smoking a Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur double corona watching the Iggles while they shopped (not a bad gig, being a chauffeur!). After the big cigar I saw the open wine from the party, and, well, you know how it is.

Pup, I'm going to have to have Pussy on the front of my pink smith machine workout jumpsuit, I guess. Damn!

Did karate workout tonight. With the leg maniac again. Ouch.

But thanks for being my slack monitor, ElP! I need it, obviously. :rolleyes:

Pup
12-09-2002, 08:27 PM
You're still a Pussy!

PowerManDL
12-09-2002, 08:33 PM
Get it monogrammed by Richard Simmons to add that final faggy touch.

ElPietro
12-09-2002, 09:39 PM
And don't forget tassles too you homo!

JohnCollins
12-10-2002, 05:22 AM
You'll have to settle for fringe. Don't have any tassels, but wifey has some fringe lying around from a curtain project.

JohnCollins
12-13-2002, 05:35 AM
This was WBB #1, third time around on split 3 (prolly 5th week, though, dammit!)

Standing overhead press 65 lbs. X8 ; X6
that's up a little from 62.5 lbs. last time-stay with this weight next time, left side is weak
Seated military DB press 25 lb. DB X8 ; X7
stay with this one next time, again left side catching up
Standing lateral raises 10 lb. DB X8 ; X2
Just plain failed. I'm doing these to all the way overhead, not stopping with arms parallel to ground as per normal
Close Grip Smith Press 85 lbs. X7 ; 77.5 lbs. X7
Stay with 85 next time.
Skulls w/ EZ-curl bar 45 X 10 ; 45 X 8
go with 47.5 next time, these felt good (finally something felt good)
EZ-Curl 45 X 10 ; 45 X 10
Also felt good, bump these and skulls to 50 next time.
Rope lo pulley hammer curls 65 X 10
Rope hi pulley triceps press downs 65 X 10
nice pump in the arms.

I think I thrashed my shoulders early on which made everything through the CG press feel weak. I gotta bring the shoulders up to speed. Arms felt good.

I gotta stop reading Budiak's journal and concentrate on Tryska's. His numbers are depressing me. I'm more comptetitive with adorable badass. Oh well, onward and upward, as they say. I'm in this for life, so what's the hurry? Gotta get three times a week in every time, though. This sporadic stuff kills my progress, such as it is.

JPC

galileo
12-13-2002, 11:04 AM
My journal should make you feel like teh best evar!!!!!1

JohnCollins
12-14-2002, 10:13 AM
WBB #1 -- 4th time around - split 1

The Workout

Flat DB Press - 52.5 lb DBs (yay) 2 X 8
Felt awfully weak today for some reason
Incline DB Press - 50 lb DBs - 2 X 6
dropped the Plate mates for these, still felt weak
Close Grip Smith Press - 100 lbs X 8; X 7
Right elbow a little twingy, but prolly could go 105 next time
Chinups, assisted - 60 lb assist X 6; 75 lb assist X7
These sucked! :( I weigh 200 lbs.
Deadlift - 117 lbs. - 2 X 8
Hmmm. Tried (I think they're called) Sumo deadlifts with 5 lbs. more than last time. felt more secure
Bent over BB rows - 117 lbs. - 2 X 8
Behind the back smith shrugs - 105 lbs. - 2 X 10

Lordy, I feel so weak! I don't know if it's the sugary crap around the office coming in for Christmas, or not enough sleep or the road miles I'm doing, but I feel like sh|t today!

Maybe I'm getting too much sex??

Oh well, Saturday, Wed, Sat, isn't really 3X a week workouts, it's cheating, but it's better than I've been doing.

My daughter passed her Cho Dan Bo test (apprentice black belt) last night. What a workout for a 13 YO. 100 jumping jack, 100 pushups, 100 crunches, 100 punches. About 20 mins. of hand and foot drill. About 30 mins of kata. About 20 mins. of self defense (got a little breather during these). About 15 mins of sparring 1-on-1 and 2-on-1. Then breaking. She couldn't break for love nor money, but she was just about exhausted and couldn't pull her form together. None of her double board breaks worked, so they let her do a couple of single boards.

I'm gonna die when I go through that drill. I hope they have a defibrilator handy! :p

JohnCollins
12-17-2002, 06:27 AM
WBB #1 -- 4th time around - split 2

The Workout

Smith Squat - 135 X 6 warm up ; 185 2 X 8
Felt OK, can keep bumping 5 lbs. each time
Smith Hack Squat - 150 2 X 8
Same
1-legged lying curls - 37.5 lbs 2 X 8
Stay with this wt. last 2 reps on right and last 6 on left were neg only- just gave out
Romanian Deadlift - 117.5 lb 2 X 8
Felt fine
1-legged calf raises - 35 DB 3 X 10
Stay with this wt. next time. BW = 200 lbs.

Sat-Tue. I'm off to Richmond, VA today, if I workout there on Thurs, I'll actually get my 3 this week, no cheating! What a concept.

Found out my daughter actually did not pass her apprentice black belt test the other day. The instructors are holding her until March. :( She gave 110% physically, but her techniques have gotten a little sloppy, not precise. And she's neglected forms she doesn't like in favor of those she does. She took it well and admitted she's borderline. Good kid. No complaining. I'm proud of her.

JPC

McBain
12-17-2002, 06:35 AM
holy cow man that test for your daughter is insane :eek:

when do you have the pleasure of taking the test?

do you do much endurancetype stuff other than your karate?

galileo
12-17-2002, 07:08 AM
Ugh, I remember my first black belt test. Floor techniques for an hour non-stop, 30 minutes of jump techniques, every kata, 1 on 1, 2 on 1, and 3 on 1 sparring with all black belts, and cement breaks. It was between 3-4 hours of hell. When it was over I slept for like 2 days. :D

She'll get it next time! She has a lot of life ahead of her and patience is an excellent thing to possess!

JohnCollins
12-19-2002, 06:25 PM
McBain, I'll probably do that next summer sometime. I gotta increase the cardio. And Galileo, I just hope they have a doctor in the house when I get to it!

PowerManDL
12-19-2002, 06:44 PM
Hey Smith boy!

Did you get your Richard Simmons suit yet?

JohnCollins
12-19-2002, 07:29 PM
Nice! And after all the nice gun and crowbar pix I sent you, too!

;)

Budiak
12-19-2002, 07:56 PM
I hear a lot of talking...and not a lot of weights being lifted.

galileo
12-19-2002, 08:00 PM
LIFT TEH WEIGHTS. o-(''Q)

Pup
12-19-2002, 08:55 PM
Hey pussy boy...make sure you get the pink tights to go with that.

JohnCollins
12-20-2002, 06:22 AM
This was WBB #1, fourth time around, split 3

Well, I finally got three workouts in a week, Sat to Friday! Thanks for busting my stones, guys, there was no way I was going to work this morning without lifting.

Standing overhead press 65 lbs. X8 ; X6
stay with this weight again
Seated military DB press 22.5 lb. DB X8 ; X8
stay with this one next time, again--left shoulder is still a lettle behind
Standing lateral raises 8 lb. DB X10 ; X8
Got the girlie DBs out. I did the first set to all the way overhead, not stopping with arms parallel to ground as per normal, second set was normal style. left shoulder a little sore after these
Close Grip Smith Press 90 lbs. 2 X 8
These felt just great. bump wt next time
Skulls w/ EZ-curl bar 50 2 X 8
can go 52.5 next time
EZ-Curl 50 - 2 X 8
Also felt good, bump these to 52.5 next time, too.
1-arm hi pulley tricep pressdown 17.5 X 8
Seated DB hammer curls 25 DB X 8

Here's a picture of my buddy he sent me for Christmas. I asked Santa for his "Working to the Oldies" tape for Christmas.

WillKuenzel
12-20-2002, 07:05 AM
Maybe I'm getting too much sex??I wish I had that problem.

That black belt test sounds insane.

Nice pic of your friend btw. Does he workout with you too? lol

ElPietro
12-20-2002, 07:41 AM
Found out my daughter actually did not pass her apprentice black belt test the other day. The instructors are holding her until March. :( She gave 110% physically, but her techniques have gotten a little sloppy, not precise. And she's neglected forms she doesn't like in favor of those she does. She took it well and admitted she's borderline. Good kid. No complaining. I'm proud of her.

JPC

I think it is good that she failed. With all the bad dojos around, and how easily the pass people, I think failing the first time first of all, validates the school, and definitely will give your daughter a great sense of accomplishment when she nails it the second time. Sometimes things come a bit too easily these days, and it's a good thing to fail now and then and have to strive for your goals.

Tryska
12-20-2002, 08:30 AM
looks like we are toe-to-toe bud, cept you've got several pounds on me, and prolly a couple inches too. either way, strengthwise you are a worthy adversary.

this is my rest week, but watch out...i'm always stronger after a week off. :evillaugh:

JohnCollins
12-21-2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro

I think it is good that she failed. With all the bad dojos around, and how easily the pass people, I think failing the first time first of all, validates the school, and definitely will give your daughter a great sense of accomplishment when she nails it the second time. Sometimes things come a bit too easily these days, and it's a good thing to fail now and then and have to strive for your goals.

You're exactly right, ElP. I keep liking my school more and more the longer I'm there. They award belts there on the effort and skill one can reasonably be expected to do. For instance, we have a 73 YO retired dentist training there. He'll get his black belt, but you know he'll never have the skills I'll have, and I'll never have the skills some of the kids who start at 9-10 years old will have. But they really look for everyone to put out 110% relative to what they are capable of.

After breaking it to Lisa, the instructors talked to me about it. They said the things like the forms she's won with in tournaments recently were stunning, better than many of the black belts, but that's because she's focused on them. She's let some of the forms she learned in past years slip, however. Some techniques would be OK for another student, but they know what she can do, and indicated she should be better at them. Finally, they asked what her grades were like, and I said A's across the board. They said she "passed" the written test, but got a 74, so they asked her to take it again a week later, and she got a 76.

Our head instructor admitted that she was "borderline" and a lot of other kids would have passed, but they recognize she has great natural talent and they said it wouldn't be fair to either Lisa, or to less-naturally skilled students who gave more to it to promote her. They both said she gave more physically than they've seen from any of the girls in several years, however. *puffs out daddy chest* They were very impressed with that. The tough stuff, the jumping work and holding really low stances for instance, she did exceptionally well.

When I talked to Lisa later, to see how she was taking it, she said she's fine with it. Last night (a week later) in the car, she said she was actually glad they did it, because a) she would have felt guilty wearing the belt because she realized during the test that her performance could have been better, and b) because she learned they think so much of her they expect better is motivating her to really grind it out. This out of the mouth of a 13 YO! She's looking forward to doing it again in March.

There is a God in heaven when you have kids like that. And you're exactly right, ElPietro. This is a great school for that reason. We're paying an average of $85 per month each for the three of us to go there to train. I'd bet many parents today would have pulled their kid after something like this. They weren't taking much of a risk with us, though, because they know both me and Lisa pretty well. But I really appreciate that it's not a belt mill.

I believe you're still single (if not, I apologize), but when you have kids, one of your greatest joys will be getting them involved in the martial arts with you. It's been a terrific thing for me. Wish I had started a lot earlier.

ElPietro
12-29-2002, 10:48 PM
Yep I'm single. :( Don't know about kids in the long run. I'm good with kids but can see my life with and without them.

It's good that you have a good school, with instructors that actually take a great interest in your daughters effort, progress and potential.

And yes, you should be proud. :)

JohnCollins
12-30-2002, 05:36 AM
Well, I certainly understand folks who don't want or aren't sure they want kids. However, IMHO, you'd be a GREAT parent. With the number of idiots raising monsters these days, it seems a shame to waste a potentially good parent ;). Just a thought. Well-raised kids are a pleasure to other parents who raise kids we just want to strangle.

Either way, thanks for your comments!

ElPietro
12-30-2002, 07:44 AM
Thanks JC. It's funny you say that, because my last girlfriend of 3 years, wasn't really into a relationship with me, until she saw me with some kids. She just said it put me in a different light. I dunno, kids are great, generally as long as they are someone else's. :D

If I were to have kids one day, I wouldn't become one of those "baby farm" families and have 5 or 6. 1 or 2 max. I think this day and age, with both parents on the go so often, you shouldn't have too many children, as you can't really focus on any one of them too much, which I think is a bad thing. It really pisses me off when people just have kids without a thought in their head about how much time they will have to devote to each of them, or the variety of other plans that should be made beforehand. Err, I am starting to rant now, I shall go. ;)

the doc
12-30-2002, 07:49 AM
i would never trust my kids to a decepticon!
:p

Delphi
01-06-2003, 06:42 AM
Nice avatar, Johnny.

LP, ditto the low number of kids deal. Problem is, the people who don't raise their kids conscientiously end up having the most rug rats. We're be outnumbered an diluted.

Weird how that smiley showed up in that.

JohnCollins
01-18-2003, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I wonder what Johnny Bravo's stats are? He looks like he's built like Chris Mason! LOL.

Well, I'm :mad: . I was a bad boy and slacked off over the holidays and did like 4 workouts from Christmas Eve to last weekend. Now, I've developed bursitis in my left shoulder and can't lift my damn arm! :swear:

I got it in my right shoulder last summer and thought I had torn something. Hurts like unholy hell, it does. I had it in a sling today. And the kids and I were competing in a karate tournament tomorrow, too! Double :swear: :swear:

Oh, well, the kids will compete, I'll be scorekeeper for one of the competition rings and hopefully get to see them compete.

Anyhoo, I am seriously depressed because I've come to like lifting a bunch. However, I'm getting off the WBB #1. Although it has worked well for me, it is apparent that given my karate classes, work, travel out of town, family crap, and blah, blah, blah, I'm never going to stick with a 3 day week plan. I could, mind you, I'm not making excuses, I'm just not that disciplined. I guess I'm not motivated enough. But I'm going to recognize that fact and go back to a full body routine which I will do, 1-2 or 3 times per week as the spirit moves me.

I think I'll stick with the WBB two sets and 6-8 rep deal, though. I'll do a full body each time, but I'll run through a cycle where I focus on one body part and do extra exercise for that. Chest, Back, Shoulders, legs and arms, I guess. So I'd have 5 different full body workouts planned out with 3-4 exercises for the focus part and one each for everything else.

What do you folks think about this plan?

JPC

Delphi
01-18-2003, 07:19 PM
Didn't I see you at one of those anti-war rallies on the evening news? Maybe you hurt your shoulder holding up one of those peace signs. :p

JohnCollins
01-19-2003, 04:49 AM
You caught me! You know what a peacenik I am, Delphi! ;)

JohnCollins
01-27-2003, 04:33 AM
Well, I'm back at it, finally. Pitiful. Lazy during the holidays, screwed up shoulder right when I was getting up the gumption to hit the weights again, nearly a month with like, three workouts.

The shoulder is NOT bursitis, btw, it's tendonitis. At least that's what this orthopaedic surgeon I had dinner with last week suggested. Once in each shoulder this year. Sh|t!

Not much of a workout here. Trying to get used to it again, lowered the weights and upped the reps from last time. Two sets each exercise. Got tired of watching the Superbowl at 33-3 and went to the basement. Missed much of the second half.

Smith Squats 165 X 12 X12
Single-leg Curls 30 X12 X12
DB bench - flat 45 X10 X 10
Seated DB mil presses 20 X12 X10
Lat pulldowns 100 X 12 X 8
EZ curl bar curls 42.5 X 12 X 12
EZ curl bar skullz 42.5 X12 X12

Stinks. Feel good this morning, though. Hopefully I'll get back on track with no more shoulder problems.

Franjipani
01-27-2003, 05:12 AM
:hello:

Great to have you back in action.... just take it easy with the shoulder though.... the long term damage just won't cut it !!!

EdgarMex
01-27-2003, 11:44 AM
Got tired of watching the Superbowl at 33-3 and went to the basement. Missed much of the second half.

Talk about a disappointing game, huh?

It's good that you're working out again, just take it easy on the shoulder and you'll back on track very soon.

JohnCollins
01-27-2003, 08:24 PM
I just read that benching is one of the harder things on shoulders. I thought it was fairly inocuous. I think I'm going to concentrate on shoulders more--rotator exercises, lateral and rear raises. Try to build up the whole shoulder complex in general. If it's more balanced, evidently, it's less prone to injury.

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate it!

Delphi
01-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Did the ortho venture a guess as to which tendon is inflamed? The supraspinatus tendon is involved in the first part of abducting the shoulder (lateral raise). You're going to need to figure out what your injured tendon is and which lifts aggravate it. Took me about 4 months.

I had a problem with impingement syndrome in 2001. My shoulder hurt whenever I held my arm forward and internally rotated at the shoulder. My problem was caused by reaching behind me to grab the handles on my Bowflex (which I have since abandoned except for warmups). It got to the point that I couldn't adjust my rearview mirror or move my gearshift with my right arm. Thankfully I've got an auto trans.

What worked for me was quitting OH press, bench press, and flyes on the Bowflex. I had already cut out upright row and lateral raise. I got lucky and recovered fully after resting the injury and converting to free weights. I replaced bench press with parallel bar dips and cut out the other lifts for a long time. I can now do OH press, bench press, and flyes. I'm too chicken to try upright rows. My delts get enough of a workout with dips and OH press that I don't need to do lateral raises.

Your mileage may vary.

PowerManDL
01-27-2003, 08:57 PM
Don't feel too bad. Both my rotators were Made in Taiwan.

Fortunately I do so much external rotation work (all the pulling movements) that it doesn't affect me except in rare cases-- they both pop, and with my left arm out to the side, I *cannot* internally rotate it.

Strangely enough, they don't impact OH presses, and only occasionally act up from benching. Upright rows however are completely out of the question.

Strengthening the shoulder girdle will only help, IMO. I'd recommend overhead squats, but I'd hate to make you squat outside your Smitch machine :D

:spam:

JohnCollins
01-28-2003, 04:32 AM
Thanks, Delphi! I didn't want to talk about my shoulder too much, because I'm self-conscious about doing that to a doctor at a non-medical appt, because I'm sure it happens all too much. I don't mind pestering you, though!

This is unscientific as heck, but it might help you because I have no idea what you're talking about, Delphi. In both cases the pain has been in the same place, but on the opposite shoulder. If you were to reach across and grab your shoulder with the opposite hand, palm vertical to the ground and fingers pointing to the rear, and you extended your thumb on the front of the shoulder pointing it back toward your middle, your thumb pad would be right on where it hurt like &@#%. It's in the very front of the shoulder, but kind of toward the inside of the joint. And I couldn't do a lateral raise to save my life. Kept my arm still as possible with my hand by my belt buckle, but I couldn't raise my upper arm away from my side more than a couple inches when it was at its worst. Don't know if this helps you determine what the heck it was.

PowerMan, good tips. I neglect the internal and external rotations because, like most folks, I suppose, I don't like to sweat the details (I don't stretch enough either, interestingly because I'm a martial artists, too--just sort of undisciplined, I guess). I will now, though. You betcha! Crikey those damn shoulders hurt! I do the external rotation lying on my side and the internal lying on my back, with light dumbbells. I'm gonna design a full body routine with a lot of shoulder concentration for a while. Build those suckers up a little bit.

I might try a lightweight overhead squat-press. I'm actually looking for a used squat cage on eBay (don't tell anybody, though, OK? I enjoy joking about Richard Simmons and my pink tights. And Tryska still lifts more than me ;) ).

JPC