PDA

View Full Version : protein before bed ??

gettinjackT
11-10-2002, 03:20 PM
What do you guys think would be a better choice before bed.....

A. 25g whey with 1 cup cottage cheese or
B. 2 cups cottage cheese

In other words, would it be more beneficial to consume a blend of whey and casinate or just strictly casinate?

Thanx guys:D

Shao-LiN
11-10-2002, 03:58 PM
Up to you. cottage cheese has whey in it though. That liquid stuff in there is the whey protein.

jiacstrap
11-10-2002, 04:58 PM
isn't whey the fastest dissolving protein, why would you take that before you go to sleep? Don't you want a slow dissolving protein that will last throughout the night? I don't know what one is better, that is why im asking......... Im about to go on a cut and im not sure to have eggs at night, or whey or both for my last meal.

MemphisRAGe
11-10-2002, 06:25 PM
well.the best choice would be to get a time release protein shake...but..if not...just use both a and b...i usually eat cottage cheese befor bed...or if im not feeling that hungry ill have a shake..and its been working well for me...

Saint Patrick
11-10-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by jiacstrap
isn't whey the fastest dissolving protein, why would you take that before you go to sleep? Don't you want a slow dissolving protein that will last throughout the night?

That is 100% correct. I'd say 3 or more cups of cottage cheese. Save the whey for post w/o.

Shankerr
11-10-2002, 09:41 PM
I agree, fire up the cottage cheese for sure! Whey post workout, and cottage cheese before bed

Shao-LiN
11-10-2002, 09:44 PM
1/2 cup is fine.

bradley
11-11-2002, 09:23 AM
Maybe a little natty peanut butter along with a glass of milk.

Shao-LiN
11-11-2002, 09:56 AM
I dunno if I'd go as far as saying time release protein shake is best. Remember, you want most of your protein coming from whole foods...but more importantly, most time release shakes are overpriced. Cottage cheese does the same thing for like $5.

cyclone
11-11-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
I dunno if I'd go as far as saying time release protein shake is best. Remember, you want most of your protein coming from whole foods...but more importantly, most time release shakes are overpriced. Cottage cheese does the same thing for like $5.

You left out the fact that cottage cheese also tastes nasty.

gettinjackT
11-11-2002, 11:18 AM
Yeh, time released protein shakes are mostly whey anyway. They just add some egg protein and small amounts of casinate to slow down digestibility. If I was going to have a shake before bed, I would just get some pure casinate from PF or something, but I don't feel like buying more supplements. So cottage cheese it is! Thanx guys........

Shao-LiN
11-11-2002, 11:53 AM
Cottage cheese tastes great to me.

GonePostal
11-11-2002, 12:04 PM
LIES! it tastes like it came out of my own @ss...
hehe I'm glad you enjoy the taste of cottage cheese Shao-lin. I hate it but eat it anyways

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-11-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by GonePostal
LIES! it tastes like it came out of my own @ss...

*Insert witty comment here*

I like cottage cheese. But then again, even if i didn't I'd eat it.

Majestic
11-11-2002, 02:25 PM
I find that buying the 6-packs of the little tubs of Breakstone's, the full-on 4% milkfat kind, tastes best.

It's considerably thicker, and has less watery goo. I can't explain why, but that's my experience.

gettinjackT
11-11-2002, 04:34 PM
yeh i always eat the full milk fat. Friendship Cali Style is ace!

MemphisRAGe
11-11-2002, 04:50 PM
mix cottage cheese with somethin if u dont like the taste.i find cottage cheese and salsa tastes really good...or with french dressing....

NateDogg
11-12-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
I like cottage cheese. But then again, even if i didn't I'd eat it.

:withstupi

I never liked it, ate it anyway, now I like it. You really have to get a good quality brand though, IMO. There is a large difference in taste between the store brands and name brands (again, IMO).

IceRgrrl
11-12-2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by NateDogg

:withstupi

I never liked it, ate it anyway, now I like it. You really have to get a good quality brand though, IMO. There is a large difference in taste between the store brands and name brands (again, IMO).

I like it, but I do agree that the taste varies dramatically from brand to brand. Experiment a little and find out what you like or can tolerate best!

willey
11-12-2002, 10:03 AM
cottage cheese is a great choice.