PDA

View Full Version : Correlation between caffeine and growth?

Wu36
11-11-2002, 09:35 AM
I was sittin around and decided to do a search on caffeine, but i still couldnt find anything on caffeine stunting growth. I used to always hear this and was wondering if it had any actual merit or if it was just a myth.

PowerManDL
11-11-2002, 10:27 AM
Caffeine can stimulate release of calcium ions in muscle cells, thus aiding in contractile strength.

I'm not familiar with it causing any negative effects in that respect.

grim
11-11-2002, 07:08 PM
I drank coffee since I was a little pup (maybe 7 or 8). I just had a taste for the stuff. Sure, I wasn't gulping down a 48oz a day, but I drank it nonetheless. Combined with the iced tea and sodas, and you probably had a sizable amount.

I'm currently 6'2. If caffeine stunts your growth, I'm glad I started early. :)

jb

Tiare
11-11-2002, 09:14 PM
If caffeine actually stunted growth I imagine the average american would get shorter each generation for the past 100 years when in actuallity we've gotten taller (from what I recall).

TurboStu
11-11-2002, 10:15 PM
Caffine does stunt your growth. I am not sure if there is a direct connection (like caffine = less growth), but if you have to much caffine in your diet (at young ages when you are growning, mainly before puberty) it will keep you up more, and also keep you from reaching the state of deep sleep. The maximum growth time is from like 8:00pm-12midnight. If you want I can probably even get you articles, or tell you wehre to look, if you want more information.

BCC
11-11-2002, 10:18 PM
I'd be a wee little guy if it did.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-12-2002, 04:19 AM
I've drank a lot of Guinness and a lot of milk from a very early age.

I'm 6'3" and can kick Yatesy's ass.