PDA

View Full Version : Bulking difficulty

Big & Tall
11-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Alright, I'm relatively new here, and I started a bulk a little over a week ago. Trouble is, since I started it, I've been losing weight. Now, this is the first time that I have kept a formal journal of caloric intake, but since starting, I have definitely increased my calorie count over what is was before I started the bulk.

Since starting, I have gone to a pretty much low-GI diet (except post-wo) but it seems that this would only make a difference in bf storage, not in weight gain/loss, since, it should just be an issue of calorie balance.

I guess some #'s would be helpfull as well. I'm 6'6", and before I started my bulk I was about 229. In a little over a week, I am now down to around 224 (with a slow, consistent drop daily). My diet has been averaging about 4500 kCals/day, w/ ~300 g Prot, ~450 C, & ~160 Fat. Probably a little high protein, low carb, but it is not like I am in ketosis or anything. WTF??!!

Any idea why this could be happening? Like I said, although I don't have a journal prior to starting, I'm confident my calorie intake has gone up. Where should I go from here? Weight gainers? The consensus around here seems to be that they just go to fat, but I'm having some difficulty hitting that 4500 as is, and if I need to go 1000 more to start gaining, it will be a struggle to eat that much solid food.

Journal & pics coming soon, but any advice before then would be greatly appreciated.

_-_v_-_
11-11-2002, 10:38 PM
Low carb? On bulking? Why?

WillKuenzel
11-11-2002, 11:00 PM
What were you doing before your started the bulk?

Have you been drinking as much water? I know that sometimes on days when I eat more I tend to not drink as much water and the scales show less because of water weight depletion.

It could be that you diet was a little off before and what you're doing now is actually healthier and your metabolism has kicked in to use what your giving your body. With this in mind, you could be burning quite a bit more fat now doing what you doing than before. Along with eating lower G-I carbs and the higher protein intake you might actually lose a little weight intially.

Give it another week or 2 and stick with exactly what you are doing. Because you are trying to go low GI carbs it might be a little bit cleaner bulk and might take a little longer to put on weight but it'll come if you can keep your calories at or around 4500.

Big & Tall
11-11-2002, 11:44 PM
Low carb? On bulking? Why?

It's not that I'm trying for low carb, I'm just saying I probably should have a little less protein (say 225ish g) and a some more carbs. I have definitely been trying to drink plenty of water--not sure on a specific amount, but definitely over 1 gal/day.

Prior to the bulk, I was trying to lose some bf, but not really rigorously--just trying to watch carb intake, and I was making visible gains for a while. I was still eating pretty well, but I didn't really consider GI.

Is there anything out there that is a good appetite stimulant and does not speed up metabolism? That might help me along some.

Thanks for the input so far, and, like I said, pics & journal are coming soon (I'm keeping them, but haven't put them online yet). I will stick with it and post how it goes.

WillKuenzel
11-11-2002, 11:52 PM
good appetite stimulant I wish there was. I'm looking for one too.

Shao-LiN
11-12-2002, 12:52 AM
Sex.

WillKuenzel
11-12-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
Sex. And weed too i guess. LOL, but some options are not exactly easily accessable.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-12-2002, 04:21 AM
I've done an effective low carb bulk.

I just carb-loaded after every workout.

I overate mainly on fat for the calories though, so i put on fat quite easily.

I think i worked it out (marginally theoretically though), that over a 15 week bulk i gained about 30lbs in total, with about 15-18lbs muscle.

WillKuenzel
11-12-2002, 05:11 AM
TCD, yours was a low low carb-diet? Why were you trying this?

The low GI I can see but low carbs period, now that's different.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-12-2002, 07:17 AM
I was cutting using low carbs and periodical carb loads and gaining strength, which was a bit strange. So i carried it over onto a bulk to see what would happen.

Getting a calorie surplus from predominantly fat sources ain't a great idea i don't think.

But then again, i was drinking regularly (2-3 times a week) throughout, so i doubt that helped the situation.

I gained:

A lot of strength regularly.
A lot of muscle considering the time frame.
A lot of fat.

Number three is the reason i doubt i'll try it again.

deputy3rdwatch
11-13-2002, 03:36 PM
try 1 testosterone either, also known as 1test. im on t100 from san and basically it will make you eat like a cow. its legal but expensive so shop around. im using 4 caps(400mg) a day at 186 lbs. good luck