PDA

View Full Version : Short Bulk/Cut Cycles

Y2A
11-13-2002, 08:43 AM
Is it ok to do short cycles, like 4 weeks of bulking and 4 weeks of cutting? I really dont want to gain too much weight at once and have to buy a new wardrobe ;)

Paul Stagg
11-13-2002, 09:52 AM
IMO, longer cycles are more effective, but to a certain extent, it depends on your methodology.

BennettBoy
11-13-2002, 10:00 AM
Why not just try to train smart, eat big...yet clean, get plenty of rest and try to put on LBM very slowly? I did that for 3 years and went from 155 to 185 and stayed under 10% bf. You don't have to bulk and cut to make gains.

Y2A
11-13-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by BennettBoy
Why not just try to train smart, eat big...yet clean, get plenty of rest and try to put on LBM very slowly? I did that for 3 years and went from 155 to 185 and stayed under 10% bf. You don't have to bulk and cut to make gains.

I didnt know that worked :D That sounds like a good plan, that way when I grow out of my clothes it will be muscle and not cause Im fat ;) Thanks for both opinions.

Stray
11-13-2002, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I've seen a few people put on some great LBM without going through bulk/cut cycles.

ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE~

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-13-2002, 11:19 AM
6 weeks gain, 4 weeks cut.

Y2A
11-13-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
6 weeks gain, 4 weeks cut.

Sounds reasonable. Thanks.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-13-2002, 12:17 PM
It's a bit theoretical.

Based on hovering around your maintenance calorie level.

6 weeks just over maintenance aiming to put on about 0.5lb of muscle a week, followed by 4 weeks just under maintenance to strip away about 2-4lbs of fat (depending on how fat you are).

The theory is that you should stay around about the same weight while getting leaner and more muscular.

It's a concept i'm playing around with right now but haven't been doing it long enough to tell you if it's worth it yet.

11-13-2002, 12:25 PM
It's a bit theoretical.

6 weeks just over maintenance aiming to put on about 0.5lb of muscle a week, followed by 4 weeks just under maintenance to strip away about 2-4lbs of fat (depending on how fat you are).

The theory is that you should stay around about the same weight while getting leaner and more muscular.

It's a concept i'm playing around with right now but haven't been doing it long enough to tell you if it's worth it yet.

I'm doing something like that too. More like 8 week bulk, 4-6 week cut. However my bulks I still put on too much weight. I gotta work on that.

Y2A
11-13-2002, 01:08 PM
It's a bit theoretical.

If it works how you draw it up, that would be IDEAL. :)

MRJ
11-14-2002, 12:45 PM
I'm not a big fan of designated bulking/cutting cycles, here's what I do:

Eat slightly past/below AMR (250-500 calories) dependent upon the desired effect.

Take measurements monthly to monitor progress, make adjustments & keep motivated. (lean mass +/- is the trigger)

When I get tired of one or the other, my lean mass gets to far away from where I like it or I just want to see something different in the mirror, I switch.