PDA

View Full Version : sleeping right after eating

I Need Help
11-13-2002, 06:42 PM
Hi,
I donīt remember where I heard that if you sleep or take a nap right after eating you would gain a few lbs of fat. Is this true???? Cause I always do this so it worries me a bit.

GonePostal
11-13-2002, 06:52 PM
From what I hear some say it does some say it doesn't... I would like to hear some FACTS about this topic also...

rythym
11-14-2002, 08:29 AM
I would guess if your bulking it would be ok, but not if your cutting.

Alex

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-14-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by I Need Help
Hi,
I donīt remember where I heard that if you sleep or take a nap right after eating you would gain a few lbs of fat. Is this true???? Cause I always do this so it worries me a bit.

So if i eat 1000kcals a day, but sleep after every meal i eat, i'd get fat?

I think not.

Shao-LiN
11-14-2002, 10:44 AM
Should always try and get protien in before you sleep.

MRJ
11-14-2002, 12:13 PM
I always eat a meal (protein/carb. lower-fat of about 600-700 calories) prior to my evening slumber of 6 hours.

I don't appear to be getting any fatter as a result. (I follow a relatively fixed diet, slightly over AMR)

EngineThatCould
11-14-2002, 01:56 PM
I usually eat something right before sleep also. I try to keep it light though.....cottage cheese or a low fat yogurt.

Stray
11-14-2002, 02:06 PM
Excessive calories make you fat...not eating before going to bed.

eclips1
11-14-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Stray
Excessive calories make you fat...not eating before going to bed.

Depends on your body type. If you have a slow metabolism and put on fat easily then eating before you sleep isn't the best idea.
Your metabolism slows down at night and if its not proccessed it will turn to fat. I do eat before sleep, but I make sure its high protien with low carbs and low to no fat(Atleast this is what I try to do).

Stray
11-14-2002, 02:57 PM
I don't eat anything throughout the day that I wouldn't avoid eating right before bed...so it's a moot point for me.

I could see how a 12' triple meat italian sub consumed 10 minutes before passing out would be bad...but than again it would be bad anytime.

Ritzol
11-14-2002, 03:39 PM
So if the theory is that it's bad to sleep after eating because of a decrease in metabolic rate, then one could also argue that 80% of calories should be consumed while metabolism is at it's peak which is what, early morning? I don't know, this whole scenario doesn't make sense to me. As long as you're eating less calories than you're burning I don't see why metabolic rate would be the ultimate factor in whether or not the food was stored as fat.

I've confused myself now, did that make sense? I'm not sure if I said what I was trying to, oh well.

11-14-2002, 03:51 PM
for the amount of sleep and naps I get, I'd be a blimp if that were the case. In fact I just ate a good sum of oatmeal and cottage cheese and I'm gonna go head for a 3 hour nap. Lata.

Yanick
11-14-2002, 04:02 PM
It doesn't matter what you eat when you eat it. If you are eating in a calorie deficit you will lose weight, if you are eating in a calorie surplus you will gain weight.

If my maint was 3000cals and i ate 2000 cals throughout the day then for my last meal i ate 500 Kcal and went to sleep i WOULD NOT GAIN FAT, why? You ask? BECAUSE I'M STILL IN CAL DEFICIT.

eclips1
11-14-2002, 04:03 PM
Like I said ya'll. It depends on your body type. Whats true for some isn't necessarily true for all.

If you are genetically pre-disposed to being overweight:

then eating before sleep can hinder you. Wether your trying to loose weight and eating a caloric deficet-eating before sleep will slow down your weight loss. Or whether your not trying to lose weight-eating before sleep might up your BF%.

If your naturally small, then this isn't necessarily so.

Silverback
11-14-2002, 04:06 PM
There have been some good points put across here, personally i believe whether cutting or bulking eating before bed doesn't really matter it just like any other time of the day, if it fits in your nutrition plan i.e. total calories then you will be alright.

I mean you burn around 400-700 cals while you sleep! so im going to continue to eat something before i go to bed, besides it helps me sleep:)

bradley
11-14-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Big-Ron
There have been some good points put across here, personally i believe whether cutting or bulking eating before bed doesn't really matter it just like any other time of the day, if it fits in your nutrition plan i.e. total calories then you will be alright.

I mean you burn around 400-700 cals while you sleep! so im going to continue to eat something before i go to bed, besides it helps me sleep:)

:withstupi , after training I eat then take a nap, and I also eat before bed and have been able to lose bf doing this

Saint Patrick
11-15-2002, 04:09 PM
Look at it this way, the body burns 60 cals/hour while sleeping, so if you eat 480 cals before sleeping for 8 hours, then you should theoretically burn it all off.

eclips1
11-15-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by stpatrick44
Look at it this way, the body burns 60 cals/hour while sleeping, so if you eat 480 cals before sleeping for 8 hours, then you should theoretically burn it all off.

Everybody's body doesn't burn 60 cals per hour. Some do, some burn less, some burn more.

Budiak
11-17-2002, 09:24 PM
I never go to bed whout eating something. If you eat three hours before bed, and you sleep for 6-10 hours, thats 9-13 hours you've gone without eating. You wake up extremely hungry, your daughter's been knocked up, you get in your car and it wont start, then the dead rise, all beacuse you think that eating before bed is bad.

I usually eat...800 cals before bed. I know of people who wake up in the middle of the night to drink a shake because they need the constant flow of calories.

nejar462
11-18-2002, 06:10 PM
you guys are a bunch of idiots, everyone knows that eating right before you sleep makes all that food magically turn into fat, if u do that, try to do a lot of curls the ultimate exercise

NateDogg
11-19-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by nejar462
you guys are a bunch of idiots, everyone knows that eating right before you sleep makes all that food magically turn into fat, if u do that, try to do a lot of curls the ultimate exercise

:withstupi

;)

Saint Patrick
11-19-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by eclips1

Everybody's body doesn't burn 60 cals per hour. Some do, some burn less, some burn more.

I know, I was just speaking in general, and using that number as an example.