PDA

View Full Version : Brown rice recommendations?

Stray
11-14-2002, 03:52 PM
Tried a few kinds of instant (like Uncle Bens) and wasn't too impressed..anyone have any kinds they eat and enjoy?

Yanick
11-14-2002, 04:04 PM
brown rice mixed with tuna isn't bad, but i don't know what brand i use.

Quick warning: Don't eat raw brown rice. Just because raw oatmeal is fine doesn't mean brown rice is. Extreme acid reflux all day.

Sharkman_75
11-14-2002, 04:19 PM
I use Niko Niko brown rice (comes in a brown bag so it's easy to find). I like it better than white rice!

restless
11-14-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Yanick
Quick warning: Don't eat raw brown rice. Just because raw oatmeal is fine doesn't mean brown rice is. Extreme acid reflux all day.

You ate raw brown rice?:eek:

Silverback
11-14-2002, 04:58 PM
How the fcuk do you eat raw brown rice? it sounds impossible. My favourite rice is basmatti especially for the carbs as they are lower gi and there are less cals per 100g (well this is the case for Sainsbury's rice range)

NateDogg
11-14-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Yanick

ROTFLMAO that you actually tried this :D

bradley
11-14-2002, 05:03 PM
I use mahatma(sp?) brand rice, or if I am in a hurry I will use the boil in bag rice.

Stray
11-14-2002, 06:20 PM
All of these cooked on a stove? I have a rice steamer I can use if need be...

Gonna try some of that Basmatti..I assume it can be found in the ethnis isle at your local supa' market?

Shao-LiN
11-14-2002, 08:26 PM
I use Basmati or some Trader Joe's brand. Steamer type is better...read something about why you shouldn't use instant. I forget why though.

devo
11-14-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
I use Basmati or some Trader Joe's brand. Steamer type is better...read something about why you shouldn't use instant. I forget why though.

Uncle Ben's regular brown rice is really good... but it takes like 25-30 mins to cook on the stove... instant rice isn't the best because its so processed... its pretty much stipped of its nutritional value.. you might as well eat chunks of styrofoam :)

WilliamX
11-15-2002, 12:49 AM
Brown rice takes too damn long to cook.

That why I don't eat it. IS there any way to cook it faster than 30 minutes?

devo
11-15-2002, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by WilliamX
Brown rice takes too damn long to cook.

That why I don't eat it. IS there any way to cook it faster than 30 minutes?

unfortunately, I don't think so.. but what I usually do is cook up a whole bunch at once and reheat it when i want some... it can last 2-3 days in the fridge no problem... maybe even longer.

IceRgrrl
11-15-2002, 08:28 AM
I have a microwave rice cooker that does brown rice in about 10 min, but I do the same thing as far as cooking up a whole bunch and then reheating it over a few days.

Sharkman_75
11-15-2002, 11:19 AM
I love basmati rice! Especially with some curried shrimp and cilantro!! But I cook all my rice in a steamer. That is the appliance I use the most! I steam my vegetables, rice, everything! For rice, it has a plastic tray you put the rice and some water in, then I just set the timer for like 40 minutes or so (right when I get home from work) and by the time I've changed clothes and started cooking my the rest of my food, it all gets done about the same time. Cooking ahead is a great idea though I may start doing that too! :D

Silverback
11-15-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN

you should rarely use instant rice, becasue of its processed form, this means that the husk has been totally removed and the majority of nutrients have been lost, instant is also high in the glycimic index, which can cause a steep rise in blood sugars promoting a favourable fat storage due to the release of insulin.

Although post work out it would be ideal imo and its cheaper than dextrose, glucose, but as to whether it is better than those is another matter completely.

B-R

bradley
11-15-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Big-Ron

you should rarely use instant rice, becasue of its processed form, this means that the husk has been totally removed and the majority of nutrients have been lost, instant is also high in the glycimic index, which can cause a steep rise in blood sugars promoting a favourable fat storage due to the release of insulin.

Although post work out it would be ideal imo and its cheaper than dextrose, glucose, but as to whether it is better than those is another matter completely.

B-R

What about the instant type of brown rice? I sometimes use boil in bag brown rice when I am short on time. Is it any better or worse than the regular brown rice?

Silverback
11-15-2002, 02:41 PM
Bradly the brown version ought to have more fibre, check the nutritional label if so then this should be alright as it will slow down the absorbtion rate somewhat.

so imo go with the brown version

bradley
11-15-2002, 02:51 PM
Sorry, I should have specified further. I can buy brown rice that is instant (10 minutes) or buy the kind that you have to cook for 45 minutes. Although they are both brown rice would there be any difference in the fast cooking compared to the slow cooking?

Silverback
11-15-2002, 03:47 PM
it comes down to the nutrient matter once again, that quick cooking will have had nutrients removed in order to create a faster cooking time, that being said though 'uncle bens' claims to have created a 10min cook brown rice that maintains all the nutrients, though its carb count is 71g per 100g, whereas basmatti is around 55-60. I suppose it would be personal preference.

personally i would go for the longer cooking time, but if time is tight then i would revert, then again i could cook up twice as much then i would be sorted.

up to you though mate :)

Saint Patrick
11-15-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by devo

unfortunately, I don't think so.. but what I usually do is cook up a whole bunch at once and reheat it when i want some...

:withstupi

Reinier
11-16-2002, 03:23 AM
i like rice, but ive stopped using it in my diet cuz its such a bitch to prepare and you cant eat it fast (My during the day packed meals must be faster than a Lamborghini, I need to be able to eat them in between lessons, thats 5 minutes, minus the times that I need to walk to the next class.)