PDA

View Full Version : is diet coke bad for you while your on a cut? why?

iLUDEd
11-16-2002, 12:23 PM
i got a 600ml bottle od diet lemon coke next to me, and per 100mL its got .05g protein, and less than .1g of carbs and fats.. if it hasnt even got 1g of sugar per 600mL, why is coke still seen as bein bad for you during a cut?

Spawn_X
11-16-2002, 12:27 PM
empty calories.

iLUDEd
11-16-2002, 12:27 PM
also says on da nutriton info, per 100ml theres only 1.1 calories..

_-_v_-_
11-16-2002, 12:29 PM
Diet coke is fine.

iLUDEd
11-16-2002, 12:30 PM
is it fine to drink a 600ml bottle of diet coke everyday? or after a while will it have an effect on you?

Shao-LiN
11-16-2002, 12:35 PM
When it comes down to it, water is better, of course. I probably wouldn't suggest downing soda every single day, but that's just me.

iLUDEd
11-16-2002, 12:36 PM
i agree, just sometimes you get a craving to drink something sweet

restless
11-16-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by iLUDEd
is it fine to drink a 600ml bottle of diet coke everyday? or after a while will it have an effect on you?

In the long run it will weaken your bones but this has nothing to do with being on a cutting fase or not.

_-_v_-_
11-16-2002, 12:56 PM
Assuming your calcium intake is adequate, I have a hard time seeing much impact on bone density from 20 oz of diet coke daily.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-16-2002, 12:57 PM
There's something called the cephalic insulin response (or some**** like that anyway) which is where your body releases insulin in preparation cause it thinks you're about to eat (a bit like mouth watering - the saliva getting ready to start the digestive process going when you're about to eat). Drinking soda, even diet can cause this to occur. The insulin response can be enough to shut off lipolysis, but providing a calorie deficit it doesn't matter that much.

If you're just drinking it to curb a sugar craving then fine. If i had the choice of taking in ~5kcals from a can of diet soda or breakking diet and consuming ~5000kcals of junk, you know which i'd go for.

restless
11-16-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by _-_v_-_
Assuming your calcium intake is adequate, I have a hard time seeing much impact on bone density from 20 oz of diet coke daily.

Maybe, maybe not. Actually I should have said it MIGHTweaken your bones...

jiacstrap
11-16-2002, 02:33 PM
diet soda has aspartame in it which has tons of bad side affects and overtime can put holes in your brain. I don't know if every side affect is true, or if it even does but holes in your brain, but thats your choice..... All these fake sugars and crap can't be good for you.

_-_v_-_
11-16-2002, 02:33 PM
That is a statement with which I would agree.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

restless
11-16-2002, 02:42 PM

My bad. No sweat.

jiacstrap
11-16-2002, 02:42 PM

which statement?

_-_v_-_
11-16-2002, 02:43 PM
Restless's.

jiacstrap
11-16-2002, 02:45 PM
Restless's.

o, ok

seanilles
11-16-2002, 04:46 PM
I don't buy into the bull**** that diet coke puts holes in my dome and causes my bones to look like swiss cheese. I think it's downright bull****.

Majestic
11-16-2002, 05:31 PM
When they do those tests on rats, they use an amount that would be the human equivalent of like ten 2 litre bottles a day.

I would expect that someone would probably have health issues if they consumed 20 litres of Diet soda per day. Forget about the aspartame, shoot, the caffeine would probably make your heart palpitate like crazy.

On a separate, but somewhat related note: A few months ago I spotted a newstory reporting that a young girl had been hospitalized, and had to be fed intravenously, or else she'd throw up bile, etc. This had been going on for 10 days straight. Now I've felt like that for ONE day before (food poisoning), but not 10 days.

Why was her stomach so upset? She had eaten....hold onto your dumbbells now.....2 whole bags of Fiery Hot Cheetos every single day, for 2 months straight!:eek:

The sh*t of it was, the mom wanted to sue Frito Lay because the warnings on the packaging were inadequate! Gee, there's only a cartoon graphic of a fireball making an evil face on it! tuttut

Better yet, would you let your daughter eat 2 bags.....daily....of REGULAR Cheetos???:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jiacstrap
11-16-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Majestic
When they do those tests on rats, they use an amount that would be the human equivalent of like ten 2 litre bottles a day.

I would expect that someone would probably have health issues if they consumed 20 litres of Diet soda per day. Forget about the aspartame, shoot, the caffeine would probably make your heart palpitate like crazy.

On a separate, but somewhat related note: A few months ago I spotted a newstory reporting that a young girl had been hospitalized, and had to be fed intravenously, or else she'd throw up bile, etc. This had been going on for 10 days straight. Now I've felt like that for ONE day before (food poisoning), but not 10 days.

Why was her stomach so upset? She had eaten....hold onto your dumbbells now.....2 whole bags of Fiery Hot Cheetos every single day, for 2 months straight!:eek:

The sh*t of it was, the mom wanted to sue Frito Lay because the warnings on the packaging were inadequate! Gee, there's only a cartoon graphic of a fireball making an evil face on it! tuttut

Better yet, would you let your daughter eat 2 bags.....daily....of REGULAR Cheetos???:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Is that true that they test the rats with extremely high amounts of it? 20 liters of regular soda a day will kill you lol

Broken Arrow
11-16-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Majestic

This just shows you how dumb people can be, it's unreal man...

body
11-17-2002, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
There's something called the cephalic insulin response (or some**** like that anyway) which is where your body releases insulin in preparation cause it thinks you're about to eat (a bit like mouth watering - the saliva getting ready to start the digestive process going when you're about to eat). Drinking soda, even diet can cause this to occur. The insulin response can be enough to shut off lipolysis, but providing a calorie deficit it doesn't matter that much.

would drinking plain water have the same effect?
My brain knows both diet soda and plain water have the same amount of kcals, but does my insulin or other metabolic systems know to?

go into the depths. Eg for the fasting muslim in a another thread on this forum. is there anyway they can constantly trick there body into doing this, so you can stay in a anabolic mode for longer?
or for people like me, where you know you can't get any food for the next couple of hours.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-17-2002, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by body

would drinking plain water have the same effect?
My brain knows both diet soda and plain water have the same amount of kcals, but does my insulin or other metabolic systems know to?

go into the depths. Eg for the fasting muslim in a another thread on this forum. is there anyway they can constantly trick there body into doing this, so you can stay in a anabolic mode for longer?
or for people like me, where you know you can't get any food for the next couple of hours.

Nah, no comparison to water, since water doesn't have the sweet taste that soda does.

And the insulin wouldn't mean much even if you could manipulate it like that, since the calories wouldn't be there to fuel the anabolic process.

body
11-17-2002, 07:39 AM

Nah, no comparison to water, since water doesn't have the sweet taste that soda does.

And the insulin wouldn't mean much even if you could manipulate it like that, since the calories wouldn't be there to fuel the anabolic process.

is this is response to flavour or odour then? rather then thinking you are going to have food like in repsects to pavolv dogs.

or the flavour increases your appetite(not hunger) so your body wants food.

the supermarkets used to make the place smell of bacon so it would make people more hungry. but the veggie lot objected to it.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-17-2002, 07:43 AM
Yeah, well smell and taste are quite inter-correlated.

body
11-17-2002, 07:50 AM
Yeah, well smell and taste are quite inter-correlated.

some foods that you think you are tasting you actuall smell them.

but tuna and chicken are still bland what ever you do about it.

Sebi
11-17-2002, 11:40 AM
coke ok

still water is better and cheaper

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-17-2002, 06:08 PM
Body, chewing gum can have the same effect.

Not that much to worry about though, since the calories waren't there.

And you burn a few extra calories from chewing anyway.

Shao-LiN
11-17-2002, 07:38 PM
Plug your nose and drink some beer...tastes quite different.

exhortae
11-18-2002, 05:11 AM
high end level athletes (Henry, zidane, armonstrong, green.....) only drink water, there's a reason.

Pup
11-18-2002, 09:05 AM
Arnold drank beer.

body
11-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by just_a_pup
Arnold drank beer.

ronnie drink dianabol.

body
11-18-2002, 03:16 PM
Body, chewing gum can have the same effect.

Not that much to worry about though, since the calories waren't there.

And you burn a few extra calories from chewing anyway.

I do not worry about it.
I do not snack anymore.
I just have like 8 meals instead. :D

Yanick
11-18-2002, 03:54 PM
I just want to re-iterate something that has been said before. Majestic (although i got this originally from Lyle) stated that the amount of aspartame they use in studies to induce these insulin spikes is rediculous. I'm sure you'll get a tiny rise in insulin when drinking a diet coke, but it will probably be so small that its pretty much invalid.

Also just like Rob said, as long as your in cal deficit insulin can't do anything, what is it going to store? Chronically high levels can halt lypolysis throughout the day, but you will not achieve chronically high levels of insulin by drinking a 20 oz diet coke/day.