PDA

View Full Version : the road to 12%

the doc
07-02-2001, 10:18 AM
I have kept a journal in the past and have been unable to keep up with it lately. However, after reading some of the other journals and thinking it will help others help me if they can read what i'm doing, i am now rededicated to the effort.
During the last month, i seem to have added some fat due to poor dieting (damn traveling-eating crap for almost 25 days) and have gone from 17% to 19%-clearly the wrong direction.
My main absolute goal in the next few months is to achieve 12% bf. Lower (10%) would be great, but i would be happy there. That is the lower limit of a typical male and this should be a point of optimum bf for good health.
I will achieve this through a rigorous diet and weight training. I will use the regular NHE plan, eating only the best sources of protein, fat, and carbs. Saturated fat will be kept to a minimum, while liberal amounts of unsats such as olive oil, flax oil, soybean oil, will be utilized. During down cycle days i will take carbs such as black beans, yougurt, and fresh veggies. During carb-ups i will eat at least 100g of low gi food such as whole wheat pasta, brown rice, oats, etc.. I will avoid sugar (sucrose) at all costs.
And so begins the journey. I will weigh myself twice/day. Once in the morning after a dump, and then in the early evening (before dinner).
I spent the last week in depleting to achieve ketosis. Ketosis was reached after 4 days. Today, day 8 i am leaving it. This morning i actually had some carbs (15 g) in the form of some eggs with black beans and 1/2 cup yougurt. Looking foward to 30-60 g carb on down days, 100 + g on up days.

Let the games begin. I have no doubts as to my future success.
Current stats 182 (19% bf) 8am

dropping 9 (16 lbs) % would leave me at ~ 166-170 lbs (10% bf)
Then it is time for serious lean muscle gain this fall. I'll Need it to drag those big dead deer out of the woods this season.

the doc
07-02-2001, 07:29 PM
diet-right on target thus far. still ketogenic, but should be coming out here soon. Steak coming up mmmm... with black beans and broccoli

back work out

deads 45 x 12,135x10,185x6
255x6, x6, x5

chins x6, x4,x3 +5 assisted(40) booo:(

biangular back row
255 x6,x6, x4

db row 75 x6, 65x7
shrug, 235x6,x6

volume was high this time but i needed to try something different. Feeling the workout already.

water, little light but picking it up

the doc
07-05-2001, 10:34 AM
Moved up my shoulder workout because i though wilson might be closed on the 4th. Turned out i was wrong but whatever...
weights stayed the same here but the cool thing was i focused really hard on getting one more rep out until i couldn't even move my arm (on overhead DB press)
I could really feel the mind-muscle connection!

Diet has been good, Sticking to 40-60 g carbs (starchy)/day! left ketosis, Yea!

water good.

the doc
07-05-2001, 10:39 AM
Taking 2 days off as i moved up shoulder day. As mason says, recovery is so important! Still sore from back and shoulders! ouch

Diet good, carbing tomorrow. Eating 5 meals/day about every 3 hours, ~40 g protein, 20g fat, 6-10 g carbs
I Did eat a steak that was .5 lbs so that was prob more like 60 g protein but hey its the 4th! snacking on walnuts

will weight myself tomorrow before carbs

the doc
07-05-2001, 08:00 PM
weight today 183.5(17):cool:
We'll see if that trend continues. Rest and recuperation day. Diet ok but only could only chug a protein/flax shake for breakfast. ate wholewheat pasta (112 g), 1 can crushed tomatos (39 g), 1 cup yougurt+1 scoop dextrose (50g), 1 small pce of cake (25) and 4 small light brownies (40g) for a grand total of ~270 g. yummy! Should have a nice robust squat day.
will have a protein shake before bed
I should trim these down a bit but i am not to worried as i am glycogen depleted.

the doc
07-07-2001, 03:40 PM
diet ok today. Worked out legs this time using higher reps. Was doing 3 sets at 5-8 reps and now shooting for 10-12. Of course i had to drop weight somewhat.
Also, cut out sldl since i did dead this week. I know chris said that you dont need to do them necessarily, i think they will help out well for fat loss (growth hormone). Also dropped 1 set of leg press since i am doing more squats.
legs now look like

squat 3x 10-12
leg press 1x 8-12
superset ** leg extensions 2 x 6-8
leg curls 2 x 6-8
calves 2 x 8-10

also, i played volleyball for 4 hours today after my workout. Did have a protein shake and .5 cup nuts in between though

ate protein shake and then steak immedietely upon finishing... feel ok
]

the doc
07-07-2001, 03:44 PM
woorked out chest today cause damn gymn was closing tomorrow and closed today at 5 pm. I fuking got to the gym at 430
did get in a good chest workout today, didn't progress at all, but do feel pretty trashed. diet good today, not many meals yet though, got up late :(
weight today 185 (18)

the doc
07-08-2001, 08:24 PM
resting today, carbup-120 g pasta, 50g dextrose in my dessert Plenty of water and took 10 g creatine pre eating. Protein shake post eating.
Resting again tomorrow but will do some form of cardio tomorrow. Going to incorperate cardio on non-legs work/rest days

the doc
07-16-2001, 08:13 PM
missed several days but i will update cahnges and signifcant days.
I believe diet is working but i am going to weight myself less frequent and use mirror more.
worked leqs tonight was a good workout

squats185 x10
195x8,
195x7 (up 10 lbs)
legpress mach
235 x8
x6 (up 10)
sup set
leg curl leg ext
150 x8 250 x8
x6 x6
calve x12
10 plates x8
x6

good workout tasty post workout shake made with 1 cup soy milk, 1 cup water, 1 cup blackberries, 1 scoop unflavored whey blended

carbing tonight 100 g whole wheat pasta and 100 g rice
3 pc zuccini bread