PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Robber= bad

steveo
11-17-2002, 05:49 PM
I was at work when they spotted this guys trying to steal. Well the managers were following him around and saw him stuff some stuff in his jacket. They followed him around untill he tried to walk out. Then one of the managers(woman) tried to stop him and he elbowed her in the face and she grabbed him and wouldn't let go and they guy and fighting to get free. She was swing on him like a fish on a line, she paniced and wouldn't let go. The other managers were standing around doing nothing, but yelling at him to stop and for her to let go.
When I saw that I ran out there and pushed the guy so hard he fell on his asss down on his face. When he tried to get up to run I I kneed him on his back and knocke dhim back down and then I pulled his arm back twisted with my knee on his back so he couldn't move or fight me with out hurtin himself. That's when The other managers jumped and took him.
Well today when I went into work I got a dissapline notice for fighting against a robbery. Shiat! the only reason I jumped in was because he was hurting my manager. That was a bunch of bull. I asked them what about the manager she was fighting back, they told me that they talked to her about it. Last time I do something for the company or anyone there.

PowerManDL
11-17-2002, 05:52 PM
LOL

That is so ****ing retarded that the company should be collectively punched in the nuts.

Neil
11-17-2002, 05:55 PM
I had a similar situation with one of my employees helping me with a violent customer. I gave him a raise.

That sounds stupid to me. Your management sounds like a bunch of pansies.

Accipiter
11-17-2002, 06:30 PM
I agree. They should be combined into one giant testes sack, and then you should get a free kick

Titan
11-17-2002, 07:02 PM
That is ridiculous. You helped that person out, and helped the company out. If mor employees were like you then they would be better off. Thats so stupid that they disciplined you for it. BS!

Jilla82
11-17-2002, 07:18 PM
lol. At my store they would have let the person walk out stealing the stuff. They never do anything but watch the person steal. I dont care, I dont own the place.

kimpy225
11-17-2002, 07:32 PM
wtf? they dont care about being stolen from? and they dont care about that poor lady who was trying to do GOOD
you two should get some kind of freakin employee of the month or something

DoubleGulp
11-17-2002, 07:37 PM
I'd give you a damn nice bonus. I worked for Ralphs and was warned not to confront shoplifters as well. I was told that if someone throws punches at me I should run away. Screw that crap.

JohnCollins
11-17-2002, 09:03 PM
Proper Kalifornia response to a shoplifter.

Store manager: "Uh, excuse me sir, but we couldn't help noticing you have some merchandise in your jacket you haven't paid for. Would you mind paying for it, please? :)"

Scumbucket: "F*** you, *******! Get outa my way before I kick your pansy ass!:swear:"

Store manager: "Uh, OK. I'm sure you are homeless or unemployed or otherwise disadvantaged or perhaps you had a troubled childhood. Thanks for shopping, er, shoplifting in our store. Have a nice day! Tell all your friends about us! Bye :hello:"

They must have forgotten this part of your training lesson.

My suggestion? Move to a real state. How do you people put up with, with, well CALIFORNIA? I couldn't do it.

Gyno Rhino
11-17-2002, 09:12 PM
Hehehe, too bad you didn't pull a gun on him. THEN your management would be really happy.

goobermor
11-17-2002, 09:21 PM
i would have told em that I wasn't accepting the citation (im assuming thats what they gave you...some sort of formal warning). then i would have went to the HR dept and told them about the lack of parity in the disciplines handed down.

oh well...if its not that important of a job, id quit...cause thats BS. i wouldnt want to work for a bunch of clueless a'holes....instead id try and get a job with Neil. :)

Manveet
11-17-2002, 10:27 PM
lol. At my store they would have let the person walk out stealing the stuff. They never do anything but watch the person steal. I dont care, I dont own the place.

Same at my work, we can't do jack ****. All we can do is watch the dude walk out the store and maybe try and get his licence plate number. But other than that, nothing else.

DoubleGulp
11-17-2002, 11:08 PM
Collins, I wonder why I'm still in California 92% of my day. I have the money to move somewhere else, but I'm just so damn lazy. I love history, so I'll probably move to the East Coast one of these days.

BCC
11-17-2002, 11:11 PM
At our gym, we're not allowed to do anything until they walk out the door with what they've taken. Although they encourage thorough ass beatings when available.

AdamGberg
11-17-2002, 11:19 PM
osteve, what time of store do you work in? was the dude stealing candy or was it like expensive electronics?

keep on giving out ass beating though...http://www.imperialmotorsports.com/otpics/Go%20You.gif

Sayiajin Prince
11-17-2002, 11:30 PM
so thats how californians save money, they just shoplift all the time cuz no one gives a fvck...

GIS
11-18-2002, 12:44 AM
There are HUGE legality issues with physically confronting somebody suspected of shoplifting. When I worked retail, even if we saw them stuffing items in a bag we couldn't do anything but call security. There have been so many lawsuites for false acusitions that companies don't do anything anymore.

Personally, if I were a low-order retail employee and was having a bad day, I'd do exactly what you did osteve. The law tends to protect criminals more than vicitms, so the only thing I would have done differently would have been to 'accidently' given him an elbow or two to the jaw.

K-Daddy
11-18-2002, 12:59 AM
It doesn't surprise me that a lot of places wouldn't let you touch them until they walked out with the stuff. That IS illegal because until they leave, they haven't stolen anything yet. When they leave...whoop some ass.

Your store's policy is total bullshyt though. Like someone else pointed out, you protected the lady and the store...and you get written up. The laws protecting criminals are so stupid. That's like the one where if a guy robs your house and slips on ice on your porch, he can sue you. I think that might have actually happened, or something similar.

If you can afford to lose the job, lose it. If not, that's fine...just see if there's something you can do or someone you can talk to to get that changed...for your and your co-workers' health and for the store itself.

-Justin

Budiak
11-18-2002, 02:27 AM
At the camera store where I used to work, one of the big stories among the district was where this one salesman(piss poor salesman, mind you) was selling this guy a camera and the guy ran out the door with it. This guy goes dashing out the door after him, running across the parking lot screaming 'Thief! Thief!'. Of course, nobody tried ****, probably because it was San Francisco and people felt sorry for the man who stole the camera, so the saesman tackled the guy as he went down the stairs to the parking garage. Got the camera back in perfect working condition(minus a few...battle scars...). The guy got away, but was bleeding from the head as he was running.

I dont think they reported it to the District manager, who wouldnt have cared anyways. **** the stuffed shirts, let them worry about when their I30 is getting out of the shop. The workin man will beat the **** out of thieves.

OverDose
11-18-2002, 03:24 AM
i wouldnt regret it, you did a good deed and are getting mildly ****ed from it... such is life

WestyHeadbanger
11-18-2002, 03:52 AM
Ignore all the BS that's come your way, look at the facts, you stood up for a lady. That's commendable.

kimpy225
11-18-2002, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by DoubleGulp
I love history, so I'll probably move to the East Coast one of these days.

:p

and yea its damned true about the criminals having lots of laws protecting them
my aunts friend had some one break into their house but like they fell in the kitchen and their hand slipped on a knife- and they SUED her! and he WON!

tuttut :mad: :swear:

JohnCollins
11-18-2002, 05:54 AM
:withstupi Hear, hear!

What I can't believe is that you didn't stop the guy--the lady did. And she was getting knocked around by this guy and you simply protected her while the other wimps looked on. If they don't like stopping shoplifters, they should write her up for stopping him. At the point you intervened, you were defending her. What a company!

Course in Kalifornia, he could probably charge her with assault. That's probably next. Good on ya!

JohnCollins
11-18-2002, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by kimpy225

:p

and yea its damned true about the criminals having lots of laws protecting them
my aunts friend had some one break into their house but like they fell in the kitchen and their hand slipped on a knife- and they SUED her! and he WON!

tuttut :mad: :swear:

Oh no. Kim, please tell me that's not true. In Pennsylvania? Their insurance company is appealing this, I hope???

This is simply too depressing. It doesn't surprise anyone when it's in California.

PowerManDL
11-18-2002, 09:48 AM
I think anyone that is in the process of breaking a law involving trespass, theft, or imminent threat of bodily harm should immediately have their constitutional rights suspended, so that anything they get from another person would be null and void in any criminal or civil proceeding.

cyclone
11-18-2002, 10:13 AM
This thread makes me glad to be in Texas, alot of criminals here don't live long enough to be arrested.

Relentless
11-18-2002, 10:22 AM
ROFL

JohnCollins
11-18-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by cyclone
This thread makes me glad to be in Texas, alot of criminals here don't live long enough to be arrested.

My kind of state! Of course, plugging a perp does seem kinda heavy handed for a shoplifter. Then again, he did hit a lady. PowerMan - the crowbar, please! :D

PowerManDL
11-18-2002, 10:51 AM
*passes JC the Golden Crowbar of Justice*

Neil
11-18-2002, 11:05 AM
lol@ golden crowbar of justice

steveo
11-18-2002, 01:09 PM
I work for a wholesale store and the guy was trying to steal a Disc man and some DVD movies. We usually let them walk out then call the cops and I usually don't care, but the only reason I jumped in was because the guy was hurting my manager, she's about 5'4" 100lbs soaking wet(pretty hot, too). She came up to me yesterday and thanked me and she told me it was stupid that I got a write up. She invited me and my girlfriend to have dinner with her family.
So that means that next time there is promotion opening up she gets to decied who gets it and I'm feeling pretty lucky.

nejar462
11-18-2002, 01:59 PM
Most likely the other men were trying to make an excuse for their own cowardice, and punished you.

Tiare
11-18-2002, 02:15 PM
- I think that each state is different on these misdemeanors but in Colorado if you conceal something you are guilty of shoplifting wether you walk out or not. Makes it much easier because once someone leaves the store, the store's security cannot legally touch that person but while they are in the store the store security has rights.

- The reason (IMO) that they wrote you up is to discourage that type of behaviour in the future. I know it sounds stupid, but from a legal perspective if they had given you a bonus and then an employee tried the same thing in the future and got hurt, that employee would have more standing in a lawsuit.

- If the store has insurance (even if they didn't), then they would much rather have the merchandise stolen than to have you injured trying to prevent the theft. $50 worth of merchandise that will be paid off by insurance vs. a $2/month bump per employee in the cost of workers compensation insurance. If the store has 30 employees, then the bump would be pretty big and it makes the merchandise seem pretty cheap.

Just to be the devils advocate...Nice work on smacking the guy though!