PDA

View Full Version : 45% P, 43% C & 12% F

Jgirl
11-18-2002, 10:54 AM
The following is a breakdown of my calorie intake percents: 45% from protein, 40% carbs and 15% from fat-on average. Total calorie intake, on average, is 1700. My goal is to lose body fat and tone up. I am female, 5'4" and weight 120 lbs. I'm not sure what my body fat is, however, I am guessing around 21%. I'm actually going this coming Saturday to get it tested. I am working out 6 times a week first thing in the morning- 3 days cardio and 3 days weights (1. Bi & Tri 2. Back, shoulder and chest 3. legs) What should my breakdown be for calories? Is 45-40-15 ok?

Thanks.

PowerManDL
11-18-2002, 10:58 AM
If you're trying to cut.......I think Chigs will back me up here.....the ratios aren't so important. As long as you're eating less than your body requires, you'll lose weight. That said, I do think what you've got going is not that bad-- though some people might want to see more fats and less carbs.

I'd make the weights a more important part of your training than the cardio-- and I'd use sprinting and other forms of interval training instead of running on the treadmill for 45 minutes (which does nearly nothing for BF levels).

Tiare
11-18-2002, 11:49 AM
I like the 40/40/20 split routine for cutting myself. I used it to drop a lot of weight (I consider what you posted to be roughly 40/40/20 split).

The only things I would say about it are:
1- Calories are king. All the rest of it is just fine tuning
2- Sugar is a carbohydrate. Read past the "carbs" line and pay attention to "empty" vs "full" carbs. I have come to believe that empty carbs will encourage muscle loss and fat gain vs muscle preservation.
3- Take rule 2 with a grain of salt...see rule 1.

I could post a bunch more of my lousy opinions on this topic, but I won't.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-18-2002, 12:43 PM
Yeah, ratios are just a guideline to get you started.

More fat, I say.

Reinier
11-18-2002, 01:29 PM
:withstupi

restless
11-18-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

More fat, I say.

Yeah. 30% is a nice number.

eclips1
11-18-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL

I'd make the weights a more important part of your training than the cardio-- and I'd use sprinting and other forms of interval training instead of running on the treadmill for 45 minutes (which does nearly nothing for BF levels).

I half to disagree with you PowerMan.

The best thing you can do for loosing BF is diet & cardio. Low impact cardio such as running on the treadmill for 45min draws energy from stored fat, where as lifting demands immediate energy drawing from carbs and muscle.

Stray
11-18-2002, 02:31 PM
The more muscle ya have the more calories you burn.
Burn more calories & eat less calories = weight loss.

:D

eclips1
11-18-2002, 02:45 PM
True, More muscle raises your metabolism, but it is extreemly hard to loose fat and put on muscle at the same time. I would say pick one or the other. If you choose to put on muscle chances are you will gain some BF along with it. If you choose to focus on loosing fat then cardio is the best excersise.

Jgirl
11-18-2002, 02:54 PM
I should have mentioned that I started an eating plan 7 weeks ago and my weight has remained the same, however I have lost 1.5 inches from my waist (was 26 now 24.5) and 1.5 inches from my hips (was 37 now 35.5). I don't think I am losing muscle since I am losing inches and my weight remains the same. I have six weeks left on my plan and I just want to make sure I am maximizing my results. Thanks so much for replying!

body
11-18-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by eclips1

I half to disagree with you PowerMan.

The best thing you can do for loosing BF is diet & cardio. Low impact cardio such as running on the treadmill for 45min draws energy from stored fat, where as lifting demands immediate energy drawing from carbs and muscle.

high impact will burn more kcal than low impact.

the msot improtant part is kcal in versus kcal required.

you burn up fat at rest, actually if your in kcal deficiet you will be using up fat reserve sitting here reading what i just wrote.

eclips1
11-18-2002, 03:13 PM
You should definatley chk your BF%. That way you can monitor your losses. Sounds to me like your BF decreased. Your doing what I said is extreemly hard to do. Never the less it is do-able! Nice work!!

eclips1
11-18-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by body

high impact will burn more kcal than low impact.

the msot improtant part is kcal in versus kcal required.

you burn up fat at rest, actually if your in kcal deficiet you will be using up fat reserve sitting here reading what i just wrote.

there are 2 aspects to consider regarding cardio.
1-cals burned.
With this is the total amt and also what type of energy your burning. You will burn more energy with high impact, but not neccessarily more fat. Depends on the intensity level. I am a firm believer in the "fat burning zone". Low impact. minimum of 45 minutes.

2-The best benifit of cardio work is the fact that you are boosting your metabolism for the next 24-48 hours. Which is key because when you start running a calorie deficit your bodies natural reaction is to preserve itself and slow your metabolism down. thus helping you burn more fat during rest.

body
11-18-2002, 03:32 PM

1-cals burned.
With this is the total amt and also what type of energy your burning. You will burn more energy with high impact, but not neccessarily more fat. Depends on the intensity level. I am a firm believer in the "fat burning zone". Low impact. minimum of 45 minutes.

2-The best benifit of cardio work is the fact that you are boosting your metabolism for the next 24-48 hours. Which is key because when you start running a calorie deficit your bodies natural reaction is to preserve itself and slow your metabolism down. thus helping you burn more fat during rest.

1) if you burn more kcals, you will loose more weight. it is that simple. the more kcals you burn, the more fat you loose as long as you do not go to catabolic.

2) well the benefit of weight training is that you increase your metabolism for the whole week. plus I do not think after 48 hours the increase in metabolism is going to be that significant. basically after the 1st hour it will be nealry normally again.

there are some far more lenght and in depth threads on here regarding this subject.

Yanick
11-18-2002, 03:40 PM

1-cals burned.

Over a 24 hour period your body will equalize everything out, and in the end all you need to have is a cal deficit. Doing low intensity cardio will use calories from fat stores, however your body will compensate for this by burning more cals from glycogen throughout the day and vice versa if your doing high intensity cardio.

Basically, it doesn't matter how you burn those cals you just need to burn them*

Correction: low intensity cardio results in almost no EPOC. Where as HIIT or some other form of High intensity cardio will result in EPOC (how much and how long i'm not too sure on).

*Factor in the EPOC issue before making your decision of which cardio to do.

eclips1
11-18-2002, 03:50 PM
EPOC?? I'm not farmiliar w/ this abreviation? Low impact cardio does increase your metabolism for the next day or 2.

eclips1
11-18-2002, 03:52 PM
And without proper fuel in your body(like while running a deficit of cals) your body will turn to its stores for the fuel. High intensity will eat more muscle than fat.

Yanick
11-18-2002, 03:58 PM
Okay before i continue, by low impact you mean low intensity correct? As in jogging for 30 min or something similar?

EPOC = Excess Post exercise Oxygen Consumption.

It refers to the fact that post exercise your metabolism is still high and depending on the exercises you have more/less for a longer/shorter period of time.

With low intensity cardio you will burn about 3 cal post w/o.

With high intensity it is much greater and in fact, the EPOC is the reason why high intensity is so successful at fat loss.

Would you rather do:

30 min cardio and burn 300 cals + 3 or so due to EPOC

or

20 min cardio and burn 200 cals + another 200 or so due to EPOC throughout the day

eclips1
11-18-2002, 04:08 PM
Can we gauge intensity by Heart Rate? My best results are from 1.5 hours of low impact cardio w/ a HR of 140-150 bpm. I put my max HR around 200bpm(I think). I've hit 190 on squats before. So about 70% of my max HR is what works for me. I'll ussually only do an hour though.

Jgirl
11-18-2002, 04:29 PM
I workout first thing in the morning at approx. 5:30 AM and run/walk for 45-60 minutes on cardio days. I immediately eat an after workout drink in my car, which consists of 8 oz cranberry juice, 1 scoop strawberry soy protein (25 p, 1 c and 1 f) and glutamine (1 teaspoon). I take creatine before my workout with water. Should I be eating something before the workout?

eclips1
11-18-2002, 04:42 PM
Yes. I would take in something before workout. I like energy drinks like a red bull or something(about 30 carbs and some caffiene). I don't take anything before cardio though. I try my best to do it on an empty stomach.

Yanick, I'll start another thread later and we can discuss this more. i don't want to do it here in Jgirls thread.

bradley
11-18-2002, 05:15 PM
Following moderate intensity evercise (65% max HR) for approx 60 min.= approx 35 kcals

high intensity (85% of max HR)=180 kcals

I have to agree with Yanick on this one. Basically like he said it boils down to cals in vs. cals out. The EPOC is not that big of a factor when dealing with low/moderate intensity exercise. You end up burning close to the same amount of cals so it seems, but it takes different amounts of time depending on the method.

_-_v_-_
11-18-2002, 06:26 PM
I can't wait till Powerman hits this.

PowerManDL
11-18-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by _-_v_-_
I can't wait till Powerman hits this.

Heh......well, instead of retyping everything, I'll just point everyone to this thread (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=20073&perpage=25&highlight=HIIT%20powerman&pagenumber=1). It explains my stance quite nicely. :)

_-_v_-_
11-18-2002, 06:55 PM
:)

I was going to point them there, but I couldn't quite remember which specific thread it was.

That, and I'm too damn tired to search.

Yanick
11-19-2002, 01:22 PM
Yep, that thread pretty much sums up my whole standpoint on High intensity vs. med/low.