PDA

View Full Version : Food before bed?

Scotty the Body
11-18-2002, 05:52 PM
What do you think about eating Fruit and drinking skimmed milk before bed?
Good for a bulking diet or just alot of sugar?

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-18-2002, 05:54 PM
I'm eating an apple now actually.

That one meal makes little difference on it's own. It depends more upon the rest of the day's eating.

Scotty the Body
11-18-2002, 05:58 PM
So you think its a "good idea" to drink Skimmed milk and eat fruit before going to bed?

I can't get a straight answer on this. I know eating fruit and milk are good for you.

Stray
11-18-2002, 05:59 PM
It's better than eating crap food yeah sure...but it makes very little difference.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-18-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Scotty the Body
So you think its a "good idea" to drink Skimmed milk and eat fruit before going to bed?

I can't get a straight answer on this. I know eating fruit and milk are good for you.

I told you, it depends on what you've already eaten.

You're not STB from IM are you? Your style of writing it totally different. If you've hacked his account then i suggest you say bu-bye pretty sharpish.

Maki Riddington
11-18-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Scotty the Body

*** If you "know" that it is good for you, why would it not be a good idea? Using your own logic you've answered your own question.

smalls
11-18-2002, 07:40 PM
What they are saying is, eating it before bed is not significantly different than any other time of the day. I would prob ad a small amount of fat, as that meal is fat free or pretty close to it.

chris mason
11-18-2002, 08:01 PM
Dude can't let this die.

Let me give you one good example Scotty. Doug Hepburn. Doug was the first man to bench press over 500 lbs, he did so naturally. Doug loved bananas and milk. Ate and drank tons. Doug was not the leanest guy, but he was incredibly big and strong, drug free.

If you are worried about bodyfat, 1 apple and banana, and a glass or 2 of skimmed milk before bed is not the issue. If that alone is going to add bodyfat, then you are consuming an excess of calories throughout the day. Sadly, you are a child of the times. Your are brainwashed by the supplement companies, diet gurus, and their respective agendas. Fruit and skim milk are not the enemy, carbs are not the enemy, excess is the enemy (if bodyfat is your concern). I can assure you Scotty, or Homer, you, or anyone else, can lose bodyfat while consuming those foods before bed assuming the rest of your diet, and your total caloric intake, is in line with that goal.

Maki Riddington
11-18-2002, 08:15 PM
And thus spoke Chris Mason.

Borgod Maxximus
11-18-2002, 10:03 PM
haha

GonePostal
11-18-2002, 10:06 PM
*bows down*

chris mason
11-19-2002, 07:06 AM
Har de har...

Paul Stagg
11-19-2002, 08:44 AM
Wait a second.

Are you trying to tell us that, when it comes down to it, this is simple?

That we dont need to pay someone to tell us when to eat what?

That unless you are a precontest bodybuilder in the last few weeks of preparation, what you eat when really doesn't matter all that much??

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-19-2002, 08:51 AM
I obsess about my bodyfat too much (ex-fat kid syndrome) so i personally pay more attention to such detail than others.

But i'm not scared of eating late at night or eating certain things past a certain hour - depending on my feedings for that day.

bradley
11-19-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
I obsess about my bodyfat too much (ex-fat kid syndrome) so i personally pay more attention to such detail than others.

But i'm not scared of eating late at night or eating certain things past a certain hour - depending on my feedings for that day.

I can relate to the ex-fat kid syndrome myself. Back on topic...

LAM
11-19-2002, 04:16 PM
you want to ingest a protein source that has high anti-catabolic propeties and low (or no sugar) sugar before bed...milk would be ok but cottage cheese would be much better due to the very low carb count

Maki Riddington
11-19-2002, 06:57 PM
Might I point out that Chris is primarily focused on strength, not looks. Sheesh, he's married and has kids.:p

Budiak
11-20-2002, 03:25 AM
Why did scotty change his name?

*chik! chik!

Paul Stagg
11-20-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by LAM
you want to ingest a protein source that has high anti-catabolic propeties and low (or no sugar) sugar before bed...milk would be ok but cottage cheese would be much better due to the very low carb count

this is true if:

You are trying to reduce bodyfat

AND

Your daily caloric count is such that the meal fits your caloric needs, and you are limiting carbohydrate intake.

You can eat whey and table sugar before bed if you want, even when dieting, assuming your caloric expenditure is higher than your caloric intake. Is it the 'best' way? No. Does it matter much? No.

If your goal is to put on muscle, a pre bed meal shoudl consist of the same things any other meal does. Milk and fruit is fine.

Scotty-the-Body
11-20-2002, 10:22 AM
Lets take Chris out of this whole thing, (Ok, I know I'm the one that started the whole thing and I'm sorry)

Lets just say its for myself, I'm wanting to bulk up but want to keep any extra body fat gained to a minimum.
Should I have the Milk and fruit or what LAM suggested.

You already answered Paul, so you loose your turn. :) J/K

Oh, and thanks for letting me stay this time Hulk. :)

Paul Stagg
11-20-2002, 10:48 AM
Damn. I hate burning a turn like that.

The answer is: It really doesn't matter much.

My suggestion: Eat some protein, some fat, and some carbs. It's just another meal. The fact that you are going to go to sleep after it doesn't change that.

Now, there are general guidelines for ALL of your meals, depending on yor individual preferences and your individual sensitivity (for lack of a better word) to items, specifically carbs.

Don't over think this. I know there are people out there telling us that what we eat when is crucial... and they want to sell you their services on just how to do it. Bottom line is, unless you are a competitive bodybuilder (and even then in the last few weeks prior to a show), it really doesn't matter all that much.

millertime
11-20-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Scotty-the-Body
Should I have the Milk and fruit or what LAM suggested.

Yes.

Tryska
11-20-2002, 10:59 AM
IMO, as some others ahve said, depends on your overall diet, your physiology, and what you've done that day.

would i choose milk and fruit as the last thing before bed? not necessarily. just excess sugar. i would rather do the cottage cheese, as you get more protein, and less sugar, and a little fat to build those hormones with.

Marcel
11-22-2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
IMO, as some others ahve said, depends on your overall diet, your physiology, and what you've done that day.

would i choose milk and fruit as the last thing before bed? not necessarily. just excess sugar. i would rather do the cottage cheese, as you get more protein, and less sugar, and a little fat to build those hormones with.

:)

AJ_11
11-22-2002, 02:35 AM
I always have some veggies and cottage cheese. I sometimes throw in a little PB or Flax. I am successfully cutting.