PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal!

Bryan
11-20-2002, 09:22 AM
Does anybody have some good recipes for oatmeal? Maybe some weight gainer cookies or something! hehe =)

the doc
11-20-2002, 11:26 AM
oatmeal MRP

1 cup of oats
2 scoops favourite chocolate protein powder
1-5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil or flax oil
2-3 cups milk

mix in a blender, or shake vigorously

galileo
11-20-2002, 11:51 AM
Chew quick and swallow quicker

2oz rolled oatmeal
2 seconds under the faucet
1 minute in the microwave

IceRgrrl
11-20-2002, 12:11 PM
Wow...that sounds really good, doc...I'd skip the oil and throw in some toasted walnuts or something like that though :)

ericg
11-20-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
Wow...that sounds really good, doc...I'd skip the oil and throw in some toasted walnuts or something like that though :)

Or use walnut oil ;)

Pup
11-20-2002, 04:02 PM
I eat them dry!

the doc
11-21-2002, 10:16 AM
yeah you can vary the oil (or fat content) to change it from an MRP to a weight gainer.
I have this every morning for breakfast. Sometimes with a side of walnuts or cashews
I am using 1 tbsp or no oil depending on if i have time to sit and eat some nuts :)

MemphisRAGe
11-21-2002, 07:28 PM
oatmeal
peanut butter
milk
brownsugar
flaxseed oil

this tastes pretty good...

Pup
11-21-2002, 08:31 PM
that does sound good

rookiebldr
11-22-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by the doc
oatmeal MRP

1 cup of oats
2 scoops favourite chocolate protein powder
1-5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil or flax oil
2-3 cups milk

mix in a blender, or shake vigorously

Doc, what kind of oats are you using? Do you not need to cook them first or does mixing this way make them soft. I don't remember ever having oats that haven't been cooked.

Same question to some of the other recipes here in this thread such as MemphisRAGe's.

the doc
11-24-2002, 10:06 PM
i use just regular raw oats.

They are softened somewhat and you can add milk and blend longer if you dont like the consistancy

Maki Riddington
11-25-2002, 08:43 PM
1-2 cups of oats
1-2 scoops of whey protein (any flavour)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
splash of nutmeg
some cinnamon
3 egg whites

Pour the ingredients into a blender, blend till it's a liquid. And pour the batter onto a pan. Then cook them as pancakes and enjoy them with some light maple syrup or eat them as snacks later on.

Trunks
11-26-2002, 11:34 AM
oats
raisins
milk + sugar

Basically tastes like muesli (did i spell that correctly?)

Oats are usually fine on their own. Mix them with whey protein and water and microwave for a couple of minutes.

If you make up a basic flap jack mixture you can throw in whatever you want - raisins, nuts, whey protein, tuna, fibre glass etc

Legal disclaimer - those last two are a joke! I will not be held responsible for any fibre-glass induced injuries.

Pup
11-26-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
1-2 cups of oats
1-2 scoops of whey protein (any flavour)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
splash of nutmeg
some cinnamon
3 egg whites

Pour the ingredients into a blender, blend till it's a liquid. And pour the batter onto a pan. Then cook them as pancakes and enjoy them with some light maple syrup or eat them as snacks later on.

that is truly brilliant *writes down*

ElPietro
11-26-2002, 02:00 PM
So is there really a difference between raw oats and instant oatmeal? I mean both are raw right? All that is different is instant has sugar and flavouring? So you can just pour boiling water over regular oats and add sugar and it's the same yes?

Maki Riddington
11-26-2002, 05:48 PM
Thanks just_a_pup.:)

ElPietro
11-27-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro
So is there really a difference between raw oats and instant oatmeal? I mean both are raw right? All that is different is instant has sugar and flavouring? So you can just pour boiling water over regular oats and add sugar and it's the same yes?

Good group of questions LP. I wonder what the answer is... :confused:

the doc
11-27-2002, 08:48 AM
instant oats are treated in some process to make them soft very rapidly

whole oats take some time to cook (up to 20+ min)

rookiebldr
11-27-2002, 07:48 PM
instant oats are treated in some process to make them soft very rapidly

whole oats take some time to cook (up to 20+ min)

Instant can also be found without all that sugar stuff mixed in. Although I buy the instant in the little packages, it has no added sugar or flavourings. I've yet to find instant in large bags. :(

Originally posted by the ElPietro
Good group of questions LP. I wonder what the answer is... :confused:

So LP, I take it you don't like putting questions out there and not getting any answers. I like your approach, I'll have to try that the next time my questions go unanswered. I guess it's better then deleting the question.

ElPietro
11-27-2002, 08:25 PM
Hmmm...what manufacturer makes little packs of instant sugar free rookie? I'd just buy another tub of protein for work to add in with the packs. I used to use Oatein from Interactive but it's impossible to find the fookin stuff anymore. It was cheap so that was good too.

the doc
11-27-2002, 09:11 PM
you can buy quaker instant oats in the little pack without additives

i believe the instant oats are rolled much more flat than regular oats

rookiebldr
11-27-2002, 09:23 PM
Hmmm...what manufacturer makes little packs of instant sugar free rookie? I'd just buy another tub of protein for work to add in with the packs. I used to use Oatein from Interactive but it's impossible to find the fookin stuff anymore. It was cheap so that was good too.

I use Master Choice (Dominion, Miracle Mart, A&P, etc.) brand Instant Oatmeal original. Quaker Oats makes a simular product.

The ingredients are: rolled oats, guar gum, salt, vitamins. Nutritional information as follows:

Per 37.5g pouch
Calories: 145
Protein: 5.8g
Fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsat: 1.1g
- Monounsat: 1.0g
- Sats: .6g
- Cholestrol 0mg
Carbohydrate: 24g
- Dietary Fibre 4.6g
Sodium 195mg
Potassium 93mg.

According to my calorie counter, the Quaker instant has pretty close to the same break down with no sugar. I use the MC since is cheaper then the Quaker. If I could get the same stuff in bulk, then I'd likely try that instead. If I remember right, I think it's about $1.99 for 12 packages.

rookiebldr
11-27-2002, 09:24 PM
you can buy quaker instant oats in the little pack without additives

i believe the instant oats are rolled much more flat than regular oats

Doc, I think your right there. The instant are smaller and thinner, even more so than the minute oats.

Vido
11-27-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by rookiebldr

I use Master Choice (Dominion, Miracle Mart, A&P, etc.) brand Instant Oatmeal original. Quaker Oats makes a simular product.

The ingredients are: rolled oats, guar gum, salt, vitamins. Nutritional information as follows:

Per 37.5g pouch
Calories: 145
Protein: 5.8g
Fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsat: 1.1g
- Monounsat: 1.0g
- Sats: .6g
- Cholestrol 0mg
Carbohydrate: 24g
- Dietary Fibre 4.6g
Sodium 195mg
Potassium 93mg.

According to my calorie counter, the Quaker instant has pretty close to the same break down with no sugar. I use the MC since is cheaper then the Quaker. If I could get the same stuff in bulk, then I'd likely try that instead. If I remember right, I think it's about $1.99 for 12 packages.

That's a lot of sodium for oats. If you're cutting, go with the Quaker (1mg sodium per 1/3 cup dry oats).

ElPietro
11-28-2002, 07:57 AM
195mg isn't very much.

rookiebldr
11-28-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Vido
That's a lot of sodium for oats. If you're cutting, go with the Quaker (1mg sodium per 1/3 cup dry oats).

Interesting comment Vido. I really haven't look into my sodium intake and it's effects while cutting. I don't cook or add salt to my foods, so except for the processed items and natural salt in some foods, I believe that I keep it fairly low.

195mg isn't very much.

Thanks LP.

docrocko
07-03-2009, 06:37 AM
This dish was invented by me and I eat it every day with a white egg omelet for breakfast or a quick snack to fill my tummy when I have the grumbles. Great for loosing weight and keeping away the munchies since it is high in fiber.

Four servings, store what you don't use for work or afternoon snack, easily microwavable.

2 cups boiling water, stove top
3/4 cup frozen small vegetables (peas, chopped peppers, green beans or mixture)
2 cubes chicken bullion cube (or use chicken stock and substitute 1 can of chicken stock for 1 cup of water above.)
1 table spoon of ground cumin
1/ tablespoon of ground turmeric

Boil water and add chicken bullion cubes and frozen vegetables. Let boil for 30 seconds.
Add one cup of oatmeal and reduce heat to simmer.
Add ground cumin and ground turmeric, mix thoroughly.

Can be used to eaten as a side dish at any meal and great for stuffing chicken or omeletes.
Enjoy !