PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce

rookiebldr
11-20-2002, 11:52 AM
Although, I haven't specifically tried this recipe, I have tried many of the recipes in the book and feel that I can vouch for this one. Personally, I would replace the smooth peanut butter with crunchy (natty of course).

Chicken Satay with Peanut Butter Sauce

Preparation Time: 30 min
Marinating Time: overnight
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 6
Calories per serving: 280
(with sauce)
6 chicken breasts, skinned and boned
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons soya sauce
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon greated fresh ginger root
2 cloves garlic, crushed

Peanut Butter Sauce
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons soya sauce
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried chili peppers, crushed.

Slice chicken into 1-inch square cubes. Combine remaining ingredients in a medium-size bowl and mix well. Add chicken and marinate several hours overnight.

To make sauce, cook peanut butter and water over low heat until smooth, about 5 minutes. Add soya sauce, lime juice, onion and peppers; mix well. Cool to room temperature. Makes about 1 cup.

Prepare babecue coals. Thread chicken on 12 skewers (wooden ones). Grill 10-15 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Serve with peanut butter sauce.

Source: Dickman, Thelma (ed.) (1986), The Homemaker's Magazine Cookbook,

Jilla82
11-20-2002, 12:19 PM
what book is this?

rookiebldr
11-20-2002, 01:02 PM
I'll have to check when I get home, but I believe it was Canadian Homemakers. And yes, I've just violated all copyright rules so, I will amend the above and put in some appropriate references to the book.

If there are objects to the violation, I will remove the entry or mods, feel fee to delete my post.

Tryska
11-20-2002, 01:04 PM
yum. i may have to try this for one of my meals next week.

rookiebldr
11-20-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
yum. i may have to try this for one of my meals next week.

Let me know how it works out if I don't cook it myself before you do.

I have checked in with Hulk concerning the copyright infringements. And although it is not a concern, I have elected to post the a reference to the source anyway.

Tryska
11-20-2002, 06:24 PM
i don't have a grill....think it would work in the broiler just as well?

rookiebldr
11-20-2002, 06:47 PM
i don't have a grill....think it would work in the broiler just as well?

tuttut, what no BBQ?

Yep it should work. You could also do them in the oven under the broiler setting as long as you keep the chicken raised on a rack with a pan under it. Try a few to make sure that you get the heat setting correct and the timing right. A lot depends on how hot you can get the broiler. You might also be able to just fry them in a non-stick pan without any oil or just PAM to cut down on the fat.

Saint Patrick
11-22-2002, 12:38 AM
what's soya sauce? Is that like soy sauce?

Tryska
11-22-2002, 05:32 AM
yes, but it's the real name for it.

well actually technically it's shoyu sauce.

JohnCollins
11-22-2002, 06:02 AM
Tryska, you ever think of trying out for Jeopardy? You'd seriously kick a$$! ;)

Tryska
11-22-2002, 06:08 AM
hell yeah....i love jeopardy. ( i would always screw up the american histroy questions tho)

rookiebldr
11-22-2002, 09:13 PM
yes, but it's the real name for it.

well actually technically it's shoyu sauce.

So many spelling for the same stuff. This really got me thinking that the spelling here in Canada may be different here then elsewhere. My bottle in the cupboard spells it as soya (even the ingredients list soya protein), however those little packets form the chinese takeout place spells it soy. And, I don't think I've ever seen it here as shoyu, but I'll check it out the next time I'm in the grocery store.

Btw Tryska, I was also thinking that if and when I do this recipe, I probably wouldn't cut the chicken up or place them on sticks. I just couldn't be bother to do that for home and I don't think it would take away that much from the flavour. Just a thought to make it easier.

Now you and John can continue the degeneration of the thread. :)

Tryska
11-23-2002, 06:55 AM
yeah i was thinking about that too. are you saying you would just make it with the whole chicken breast?

Tryska
11-23-2002, 06:56 AM
and shoyu is the japanese word, i belive.

rookiebldr
11-23-2002, 08:22 AM
yeah i was thinking about that too. are you saying you would just make it with the whole chicken breast?

Yep. The chicken might not be as tender this way because the marinade won't get in as much due to the larger pieces, but you are marinating it overnight so it should sink in fairly well. Just watch the cooking times since you don't want to dry the chicken out. When cooking in the oven at 400 I use 20 mins as a guideline (I'm assuming boneless, skinless breasts). Don't know how long in the broiler, likely the same. If you are flipping it over, then 10 mins per side.

I tend to try these things out a bit and usually I do better the second time around.