PDA

View Full Version : question regarding calories......

starks713
11-20-2002, 06:22 PM
How do you figure out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight and how many calories more should you consume when bulking/cutting.
Thanks in advance.

Tiare
11-20-2002, 06:59 PM
Record how many calories you eat on a daily basis when you aren't gaining or losing weight. That's how many you need to eat to maintain weight (dang, I'm in a smart mouth mood again tonight...)

Seriously though, try doing a search for "daily calorie requirement" on google or something like that. Lots of sites have the formula or a calculator on them. It's all guesswork though.

bradley
11-21-2002, 04:00 AM
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=19&pageid=2

This article should help.

ryan1117
11-21-2002, 09:47 AM
I'd figure I'd just give a warning about some of the calorie calculators online. I have had a few tell me that my maintenance level is 1800 calories. I have found by counting my calories that my maintenance level is more so around 2800! Those bad calculators were nothing on WBB by the way. The articles on this site are very good.

raniali
11-21-2002, 11:46 AM
a general rule of thumb for maintenance calories is somewhere between 10-15 x your bodyweight ....or approximately 12xbodyweight.

I do monitor what I eat and I fall about 12-13x.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-21-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by raniali
a general rule of thumb for maintenance calories is somewhere between 10-15 x your bodyweight ....or approximately 12xbodyweight.

I do monitor what I eat and I fall about 12-13x.

Well there's no set figure that accounts for all due to body type differences and various other issues, but the theory is usually 12 to lose, 15 to maintain. :)

Doesn't really matter that much though, cause it's just a starting gauge - real world results are what you need to pay attention to after the first few weeks.

However, one point of note here, is that Raniali consumes what is theoretically a cut calorie level. However, most people realise (if they actually pay much attention) that once they've been at a certain weight for so long (dunno how long exactly) it actually takes less calories to maintain than you'd expect. So, for a guy who's been 210lbs for X amount of time (read that as a decent length of time BTW), you'd expect his maintainence calories to (theoretically) be 3150kcals, but in actual fact he may maintain this size with 2500-3000kcals without losing weight. I dunno why it happens though. Just an observation i've made from people in my gym and some over the Internet.

I'm not saying that this is the case with Rani - she may be slightly hypo-thyroid, or just have a slower metabolism than most, but reading what she wrote reminded me of the above.

eclips1
11-21-2002, 01:57 PM
http://www.active.com/calculators/

A few fitness calculators.

Pace calculator
Target heart rate calculator
Caloric needs calculator
Nutritional needs calculator
Ideal weight calculator
Body fat calculator