PDA

View Full Version : gaining weight

tool
11-21-2002, 03:20 PM
i posted this in the other forum and they told me to come here. they said just to eat a lot, ive been hearing that my whole life and i still cant gain weight
----
im 14 and i only weigh 105lbs. ive always been skinny and ive had trouble gaining weight. im looking to gain around 10lbs a month. what should me diet be? (how much protein, carbs, etc a day)

Yanick
11-21-2002, 04:04 PM
Even if you're a newbie i think 10lbs a month may be a bit much. Maybe the first month or so, but each subsequent month you'll probably gain less and less.

That aside, you need to start counting your calories and evaluating your progress on a week to week basis.

Start at 20 x bw. If you don't gain weight in one week increase to 21 x bw and so on and so forth.

tool
11-21-2002, 04:08 PM
20 x bw?

Yanick
11-21-2002, 04:11 PM
20 calories x bodyweight (in pounds)

EDIT: I should've been clear on that from the beginning, sorry.

Stray
11-21-2002, 04:33 PM
Go to www.fitday.com and start counting your calories....it may not seem important but it is. I was surprised at few calories I was consuming until I started counting them.:cool:

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-21-2002, 04:48 PM
How tall are you?

I think you weigh the same as my right leg.

Stray
11-21-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
How tall are you?

ROFL

Broken Arrow
11-21-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
How tall are you?

LOL :D

For someone your weight, start at 2100-2200 calories a day, and like Yanick said, if you gain nothing the first week, anti up the next on your calorie intake. :thumbup:

good luck

tool
11-21-2002, 05:21 PM
im 5'6"
i work out about 4 times a week. should i have more calories on the days i work out?

Broken Arrow
11-21-2002, 05:25 PM
yeah, depending on how intense your workouts are, I would add another 300-400 calories to your diet. And if your into a lot of cardiovascular activities, than I would definately anti-up on the calories, the amount all depends on how activate you are.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-21-2002, 05:47 PM
What's your workout routine and split looking like, tool? Inlcuding how many sets you do.

And yes, eat similar calorie levels on off and on days.

tool
11-21-2002, 06:38 PM
i just got my cast off my wrist 2 weeks ago and im starting to work out again.

chest
flies. 5 sets. 50lbs
inclined bench. 5 sets. 30-50lbs. (i dont do it that much cos my wrist hurts sometimes)
declined bench. same^

shoulders
shoulder/military press. 5 sets. 40lbs (wrist again)
some dumbell thing. 5 sets. 20 lbs

back
front and back pulldowns. 5 sets. 40lbs
deadlifts. 5 sets. 15lbs (am i too young?)

biceps
curls, etc. i dont feel like typing all of it

and some ab ****
all my sets are in reps of 12
i work out on monday, tuesday, thursday, and friday

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-21-2002, 06:47 PM
You do that routine every time you go into the gym?

tool
11-21-2002, 07:32 PM
no. i dont go to the gym, my dad has a machine in his basement. i do 2 a day. (ie: biceps and triceps on monday)

tool
11-21-2002, 09:52 PM
does it matter that most of my calories come from supplements and pop?

_-_v_-_
11-21-2002, 10:03 PM
Soda=empty calories. Bad.

tool
11-21-2002, 10:09 PM
ok. thats where most of my calories came from. today i had 1936 calories. its more than i usually have

Broken Arrow
11-21-2002, 10:19 PM
Like I said toolpick, anti-up on the calories man, you might of heard this somewhere else, but to get big, you eat big. Always keep that in mind.

What kind of supplements you talking about.

restless
11-22-2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by tool
does it matter that most of my calories come from supplements and pop?

It does. Beef, eggs, olive and fish oils, enough carbs should make the bulk of your calories. Your routine is also inappropriate for someone who has a dificulty in gaining weight. I'd cut the volume to 3 times a week around 10-12 sets per day and do mainly compound exercises.

WillKuenzel
11-22-2002, 03:13 AM
Don't even count calories you drink. It more important what you eat.

bradley
11-22-2002, 03:51 AM
I would do some reading on the WBB main page. There is a lot of good information there and this will help you get the basic nutrtition questions answered and also provide insight into some different training routines.

Ironman15
11-22-2002, 07:14 AM
Let me suggest that you try drinking milk in place of soda. Milk has more and better calories that soda. You get things like protein and fat in milk that you don't get in soda. Also I agree with the 3 day a week split. You might want to try the push/pull/leg split. It seems to work for most people.

tool
11-22-2002, 08:16 PM
i drink ensure now. im goin to gnc tomorrow tho. whats a good supplement for my age?

WillKuenzel
11-22-2002, 09:54 PM
I would recommend just protein and weight gainer. At your age you probably don't want to worrying about anything else.

Also do you work your legs? Might be a good idea to add some leg work too.

Lucian
11-22-2002, 10:05 PM
metrex is what I'm going to try using, weight gainer is just pure calories with no nutrients or quality protien

bradley
11-23-2002, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Lucian
metrex is what I'm going to try using, weight gainer is just pure calories with no nutrients or quality protien

Weight gainer post workout is an easy way to get in simple carbs and protien, which in my opinion would work much better than met-rx alone.

tool
11-28-2002, 09:49 AM
ok. im goin to gnc tomorrow so ill see if they have it
if my diet is like this, how many pounds should i gain a month if i follow it every day (estimate)
calories: 2200
protein: 100g

Ritzol
11-28-2002, 12:54 PM
eat more protein

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-28-2002, 01:16 PM
ok. im goin to gnc tomorrow so ill see if they have it
if my diet is like this, how many pounds should i gain a month if i follow it every day (estimate)
calories: 2200
protein: 100g

wow, it is scary that you're eating 1g per lb and that's all you eat lol.

if you got 400kcals coming from protein, what's the breakdown of the remaining 1700?

You may wanna take out some of whatever that is, and add in another 50g protein. It's not essential, but regardless of your weight, 100g protein just sounds like too little.

It depends how your metabolism is. You're at 20kcals per lb with that amount. Train like a mofo and lets hope you add a sheet-load of musckles and minimal fat. At 14 years and a new lifter i doubt you'll gain much, if any fat, unless you got the metabolism pace of a slug. Which, at 14, is doubtful. Possible, but doubtful.

tool
11-28-2002, 01:50 PM
my metabolism is like a cheetah. ive been skinny my whole life even tho i eat a lot

bradley
11-28-2002, 05:08 PM
Sounds like fat gain is the least of your worries. Start packing in those kcals and let us know how it goes, and maybe we can offer some more help.

i agree with TCD about the protien. Get that extra 50g because it definetly will not hurt anything. Good luck with the new diet.

Shankerr
11-28-2002, 05:47 PM
I'd say get a good weight gainer and pound it into you! Eat alot more protein, and don't be afraid to add in some extra fats too, as long as they are good fats (steak, salmon, other oily fish, nuts etc..). If you have a mad metabolism, then just bumping your calroies overall is a good place to start, maybe try for 3000??

cut down on the pop too, instead, try drinking crystal light or something, anything that is better for ya!

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-28-2002, 07:20 PM
He may be a new lifter and he may be very young, but either way, you can't force feed muscle growth.

At his weight and metabolic rate, regardless of how fast it is, jumping straight into 3000kcals would be an unsensible idea, unless fat accumulation is his objective.

I say stick with 2100 for now (that is 20kcals per lb remember), and if you don't gain, up the calories by a further 200 per week until you do.

tool
11-29-2002, 03:54 PM
ok i got that weight gainer stuff
it says to combine four scoops (148g) with two cups of low fat milk in a blender or shaker.

it didnt come with a cup/scoop thing. so how much do i put in? 2 table spoons?

GonePostal
11-29-2002, 04:22 PM
what weight gainner did you buy? They always come with a scoop. You just got to dig deep sometimes :). Oh btw you don't really need to put it in a blender. I'm lazy so I find its ok to put it in a container and shake it real hard and fast. If it does not come with a scoop (highly doubt it) your going to need alot more then 2 tbl spoons

tool
11-29-2002, 06:12 PM
i found it. it would help if it was on top of everything
i dunno which one i got. it looks like some kmart brand (the label does) but it says "challenge" then weight gainer

tool
11-29-2002, 11:06 PM
the thing says to drink 4 servings. 2 glasses with 2 scoops in each glass. should i drink that much?

Reinier
11-30-2002, 02:08 AM
you are only wasting your money with the supplements. You dont need supplements when your 105 lbs and dont know how to gain weight yet.

first you learn how to bodybuild, just training and diet, and then you see what supps can do extra for you.

also, you should train your legs

bradley
11-30-2002, 05:50 AM
the thing says to drink 4 servings. 2 glasses with 2 scoops in each glass. should i drink that much?

Use the weight gainer to supplement your diet with the extra calories that you need to grow. Post workout would be a good time and if you need the cals take it some other time of the day. You might think about mixing it with milk if you are using it as a meal replacement.

tool
11-30-2002, 11:19 AM
last night i tried to make it with milk after i worked out. that was bad. i put 1 scoop in the cup then i put milk in it. i was stirring for half an hour and i still couldnt get the brown **** out of the top

bradley
11-30-2002, 02:23 PM
last night i tried to make it with milk after i worked out. that was bad. i put 1 scoop in the cup then i put milk in it. i was stirring for half an hour and i still couldnt get the brown **** out of the top

Whenever I am mixing protien shakes with milk I put the milk into a shaker bottle first and then the powder and shake it for all its worth. I know what you mean about the clumps, which are a pain in the a**.

tool
11-30-2002, 03:00 PM
my parents are going crazy over this. they say that its gonna 'ruin my insides' - is there somewhere where i can show them that its perfectly fine for me to use it?

tool
11-30-2002, 03:03 PM
ooh. and this is how it looked after i stirred it and shaked it

bradley
11-30-2002, 05:04 PM
Maybe you could print off some nutrition articles for them to read. There are plenty on the WBB main page and also some good ones on www.thinkmuscle.com. As far as the shake just use a blender or a shaker bottle next time.

tool
12-02-2002, 09:44 PM
ok ive been taking 1 scoop a day at night after i worked out since friday. how much should i expect to gain (if any) by this friday?

bradley
12-03-2002, 03:53 AM
What is your daily cal intake? Just because you are taking weight gainer does not mean that you will gain weight. You must be in a caloric surplus to gain weight. Just keep monitoring your progress week by week until you are adding approx 1 pound per week. If this is not occurring then continue to up your cal intake.

tool
12-31-2002, 05:05 PM
should i only take one scoop of it a day?

bradley
12-31-2002, 05:27 PM
should i only take one scoop of it a day?

Take the weight gainer post workout with water and try to get the rest of your cals from whole food. If you are unable to eat that much then supplement your diet with the weight gainer to reach your daily calorie goals.

tool
01-22-2003, 07:42 PM
ok. weight gainer isnt helping. i gained 2 pounds in the last week, but its not the way i should. i ate junk food right before i went to bed, about 600 calories. my dad has diabetes and i dont want to eat too much junk food becuase i dont want to get it. im looking for some healthy, high calorie food to eat. remember, i cant have a chicken sandwhich or anything for lunch, or a big breakfast, i still have school.
right now i have:
ensure in the morning
2 lunches of whatever they have at school
dinner
600 calories of junk food before i go to bed

bradley
01-23-2003, 02:31 AM
You have to try and get your diet in order if you expect to make gains. I agree that junk food is not the best way to gain weight. What about trying to eat some peanut butter sandwiches along with a couple of glasses of milk for breakfast? Milk provides some quality calories and should be served in your school cafeteria as well. Have you thought about packing some snacks to take to school? Proper planning will go a long way when trying to get your diet in order.

ericg
01-23-2003, 02:28 PM
ooh. and this is how it looked after i stirred it and shaked it

Looks fine to me - drink it up.

Personaly you dont really need any supps, just get some multi vitamins and eat eat eat and eat again.

chicken, eggs, fish, steaks, nuts, milk - eat and eat - try to stick to some good carb choices - complex carbs, and healthy fats.

Like Chicken said

"At 14 years and a new lifter i doubt you'll gain much, if any fat, unless you got the metabolism pace of a slug. Which, at 14, is doubtful. Possible, but doubtful."

They to get something in your body every 3 hours, make sure you are getting enough protein. Listen to Chicken and start off with about 20 x BW in cals at about 150g of protein. Track your progress each week and adjust the cals if necessary.

Oh yeah, check out the articles on the main page. good luck

gettinjackT
01-25-2003, 08:34 PM
Eat a bigger breakfast. And get a blender for that protein shake bro. Drink a gallon of milk before bed.