PDA

View Full Version : That lovely "having to vomit" feeling

Stray
11-21-2002, 05:07 PM
Come post workout time to time I have that sick feeling like I have to yack.....I did some searching around but have yet to find a definitive reason why I get this sometimes and not others.

Pushed too hard? Didn't eat enough or too much before?

I like knowing I've pushed myself to the point that I'm ill but it really isn't that fun too many nights in a row.:help:

Marcel
11-22-2002, 02:25 AM
4 sets of squats heavy ATF with 1 minute rest in between sets.

Merry X-mas.

Might be what you are eating before.

Tryska
11-22-2002, 05:44 AM
no one really knows why that happens.

for some people it's cuz they lfit on an en empty stomach. for others it's because they lift on a full stomach. another theory is lactic acid buildup.

the only thing anyone knows for sure is it happens, and you feel a lot better after you puke. :thumbup:

Tryska
11-22-2002, 05:49 AM
From Stumptuous.com. (Krista really needs ot get rid of the frames)

blaaaargh!
Experienced trainers know the feeling. You finish a set of heavy squats, or all-out sprints, and suddenly your stomach tries to make a break for it. Blowing chunks, technicolour yawn, talking to Ralph on the great white phone, whatever you want to call it, nausea and vomiting during a workout are no fun.

what causes this?

Explanations vary. In a recent discussion on the sportscience list, the following reasons were proposed:

Gastrophageal reflux brought on by the valsalva maneuver (holding breath through heavy exertion)

Compromised esophageal sphincter tone (in other words, a looseness of the little ring of muscle that separates your stomach from the esophagus) or esophageal or peptic ulceration

Intense activation of central nervous system due to stress or the neurological demands of exertion

Change in blood pH produced by the anaerobic metabolism of pyruvic acid. Low levels of lactic acid are normally produced from glucose via normal glycolytic pathways; however, if increased lactate production or decreased use occurs, lactate can accumulate.

Shunting of blood away from gastrointestinal tract to working muscles; stomach responds by trying to expel contents involuntarily

Psychological nausea brought on by the stress of executing a difficult movement

how can I avoid it?

Barring trauma to your GI tract (as, for example, in the case of a trainee who has gastric reflux, in which the esophageal sphincter doesn't close off effectively enough and allows stomach contents to make a run for the border), the best way to avoid nausea is through prevention. Some tricks:

Pop a couple of antacids before your workout

Have 1000 mg of powdered ginger capsules. Ginger is a potent antinauseant without the side effects of other anti-nausea drugs like Gravol

Figure out which is more likely to make you feel nauseous: food in your stomach or an empty stomach. I have to eat something before I work out. Others need to have an empty tummy.

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html under "doh! and ouch!"

Stray
11-22-2002, 05:26 PM
Tryska you rock.

Thanks. :D

steveo
11-22-2002, 08:02 PM
I love that feeling, it feels like I did something

mixta
11-23-2002, 12:49 AM
Excellent post Tryska :)

Tryska
11-23-2002, 07:05 AM
stray and mixta...thanks guys..i can't take credit tho, as all i did was cut and paste.

anyways....on the ginger capsules.....you can also chew on candied ginger, or sip ginger ale or ginger beer through your workout. if that has too much sugar, you can make some ginger tea, and just sip on that..then you get water, and ginger, and it keeps ya from puking.

Ti1301
11-26-2002, 05:12 AM
In some studies creatine has been the culprit for the stomach problems as some creatine newbies her on the board can atest to.

Berserker
11-26-2002, 08:49 AM
I most be a puss, I've never vomitted. I guess I have a new goal. I get the shakes. I am anywhere near close?

NateDogg
11-26-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Berserker
I most be a puss, I've never vomitted. I guess I have a new goal. I get the shakes. I am anywhere near close?

Not at all. Unlike what most people say, it's not a good sign to puke after any workout.

freztek
11-27-2002, 12:54 AM
LoL, I haven't ever puked, but I've gotten in my car in rush hour traffic just as that "lightheaded sick feeling like your gonna ralph" stuff hits.....oh man, and for me it always seems to hit when I can't even hold my arms up to the steering wheel without making a huge effort and overlooking the :::SSSHHHAAAKKKEEESS::: Gotta love'm... I second the motion that I know sometimes its the creatine...for me I have to eat and take my creatine right after or I sometimes will get that sick feeling during and after workouts.

Stray
11-27-2002, 10:02 AM
I've added ginger to my pre workout shake and it helps alot.

I still have that dizzy having to puke feel but it never gets to the point where I'm leaning over a toilet, mouth weatering ready to splurge.

geeky
11-27-2002, 01:20 PM
There's nothing like blowing a good fart as you are lifting heavy:)