PDA

View Full Version : bf calc/definition

Berserker
11-22-2002, 10:07 AM
I was wondering what you thought about this site for body fat calcs. It uses three points for men abs, thighs, and chest. Only using fancier words. The formulas from another site but gets the same results.
My other question is what levels do you start to see varying levels of definition. According that website I was 9% now 11%. I have been trying to gain weight lately, not using it as an escuse to get fat though. I've seen pics of guys at 10% with abs showing. I am nowhere near that. So are my calcs that far off?
My current plans are to cut 3/18/03. Rhetorical question here, whats the % of bulkers to cutters? It seems like everyones bulking. Its alot easier.
I am using a cheap accumenasre caliper, jsut for details.
Thanks

How to take measurements
http://omega.cc.umb.edu/~umexcsci/indexcomp.html
Enter numbers here
http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/~food-lab/ai/bfc.html

chest + abdomen + thigh = sum of three skinfolds
Body Density = 1.10938 - 0.0008267 (sum of three skinfolds) + 0.0000016 ( sum of three skinfolds)2 - 0.0002574 (age)
% Body Fat = (457 / body density) - 414.2

Shao-LiN
11-22-2002, 11:30 AM
You're better off buying a caliper.

Berserker
11-22-2002, 11:38 AM
I did buy a caliper. Those formulas require the use of a caliper. I bought a cheap one though, accumeasure for $17.

Shao-LiN
11-22-2002, 12:47 PM
I see, well I don't think you really need an equation for it.

I'd say if you want your abs showing at 10%, you should work them. The abs are a muscle, they can atrophy, hypertrophy or be maintained.

Berserker
11-22-2002, 01:17 PM
I guess my question is "I am I really 10%?" Are those formulas good? The reason I mentioned abs was I was just wondering at ball park levels do you start seeing them, so I would now if calculations for bf were close.

Without an equation how do you know what your bf% is? My calipers give a number in mm.

NateDogg
11-22-2002, 01:33 PM
Most people see abs around 12% if I remember right.

TxRebel
11-22-2002, 01:46 PM
Those are both very good website......my question is did you take the skinfold yourself? because if that is the case it is very hard to get an accurate reading. on other thing is you can not squeze the caliper for more than 2 seconds on at a given time, the fat will then start to compress and give you a false reading

Berserker
11-22-2002, 01:54 PM
Yes I did it myself. I agree it is not the easiest. My things and chest are leneaner, but my gut it harder. I'd like to get it down professionally but don't see that happening anytime soon.