PDA

View Full Version : Zero carb breakfast, what will your body use for energy?

Y2A
11-22-2002, 12:36 PM
If I were to eat eggs for breakfast, with nothing else, Id get little or no carbs. I dont work out in the morning, but my body will need energy. What would it use for fuel, the protein from the egg tuttut or will it eat my muscle away tuttut or will it use the fat from the egg :nod: ? Thanks.

AJ_11
11-22-2002, 12:46 PM
I used to have a protein shake for breakfast with a good diet overall about a year ago. I lost some muscle mass, I wouldn't do that ever again

Silverback
11-22-2002, 12:48 PM
The primary source for fuel is carbs but when these are not present your body will turn to other systems, more than likely you will burn a mixture of proteins and fats. Although if on keto you adapt the the body to use fat as the primary fuel well ketones.

So in short you will use both depends on your intenisty, time + other factors. Hope this helps you.

B-R

Y2A
11-22-2002, 02:15 PM
Thanks. I wouldnt be working out, just doing office stuff at work. Usint the fat would be fine, but using the protein wouldnt be so great. Sounds like its a good idea to have some carbs at least.

LAM
11-22-2002, 02:19 PM
remember when you wake up in the am your body has negative protein balance so weight training on a empty stomach in the am is very catabolic. at the minimum drinks some whey with water before training. some of the aminos will be converted to glucose while some may be metabolized directly by muscle tissue.

the body always burns a combination of substrates from glycogen, fatty acids and stored proteins (namely BCAA's) regardless if the activity is anerobic or aerobic. if glycogen is not available then the ratios of the others substates will increase to provide suffcicient energy.

matrosa
11-24-2002, 12:19 AM
Unless you've been on a low-carb diet for a while, your muscles will most likely have plenty of glycogen to supply energy. One low carb breakfast isn't gonna make a difference. Your body certainly isn't going to go devouring muscle protein so you can do "office" work. It'll use fats mostly and some carbs to help keep the fats burning.

Y2A
11-25-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by matrosa
Unless you've been on a low-carb diet for a while, your muscles will most likely have plenty of glycogen to supply energy. One low carb breakfast isn't gonna make a difference. Your body certainly isn't going to go devouring muscle protein so you can do "office" work. It'll use fats mostly and some carbs to help keep the fats burning.

Sweet, thanks!

raniali
11-25-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by matrosa

I have been eating nothing but egg whites cooked in olive oil and almonds for breakfast for awhile.... I am not losing my muscle mass. Additionally, I am not lacking for energy at all nor get too hungry before my next meal.