PDA

View Full Version : My diet: I'm curious, any ideas?

_-_v_-_
11-22-2002, 08:53 PM
What the hell...just thought I'd post my diet and see if any of you can catch any problems (nutrient/mineral/fatty acid deficiencies, carb or health issues, etc...) that I've missed.

Me: male, 5'7'', 145 lbs, very lean. Check my journal for strength details.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=359101#post359101

I'm allergic to milk products and all nuts but almonds: thus no whey protein or natty pb.

Diet: (All weights raw)

Workout Days:

6:30: 10 oz sweet potato; 6 oz turkey/chicken; 1 oz almonds
75c/45p/14f

9:45: 1/2 cup oatmeal; 1/3 oz almonds; 3 oz chicken
27c/27p/7f

11:00 workout

12:00:
50g dextrose/ 25 g egg white protein

1:30: See meal one.

5:00-5:30: See meal one

9:00 1/3 cup oatmeal;2 tsp Udo's choice oil; 4 oz chicken
20c/30p/13f

I supplement daily with calcium, vit-c, and a multi. Daily cals = approx. 2700. On this diet I've been seeing slow but appreciable strength/size gains while keeping fat gains minimal. Any ideas? Suggestions? And rest assured I have no problem keeping to a diet; variety is not and will not be an issue...

bradley
11-23-2002, 06:02 AM
Are allergic to flax? If not might want to throw in a tablespoon or so instead of the almonds. Flax has a good omega 6 to omega 3 ratio. I am not real sure about the almonds other than I know they contain healthy fats. Look like a good diet to me.

Tryska
11-23-2002, 07:16 AM
looks good to me...what's the total macro breakdown, percentage wise? (i know i could figure it out myself, but i;m lazy like that ;) )

restless
11-23-2002, 07:23 AM
Personaly I think you're making the crucial mistake of not getting any veggies and thus setting yourself up for some mineral deficiency. In your place I would replace the 20 gr of carbs from oatmeal with the same amount from green veggies (Brussel sprouts, broculi and spinach or similar) or start taking some mineral suplemment. Magnesium comes to mind. Some beef would also be a nice addition.

Tryska
11-23-2002, 07:25 AM
mmm...the veggie thing did cross my mind....but most of the guys here when bulking won't eat them. (believe me i've tried coaxing).

i dunno about the cruciferous veggies tho. but that's just me personally. cruciferous veggies tend to be a bit hostile to thyroid hormone.

restless
11-23-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Tryska

i dunno about the cruciferous veggies tho. but that's just me personally. cruciferous veggies tend to be a bit hostile to thyroid hormone.

Really? What do they do? Didn't know that, can you elaborate a bit?

Tryska
11-23-2002, 08:38 AM
lectins (plant proteins) in vegetables fromt he brassica family (cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, and mustard greens) can inhibit htyroid hormone. (radishes too - i'm guessing soemthign to do with sulphur. not sure.) I used to have the research bookmarked, but i've lodt those bookmarks. I'll have to look it up again, when i get some time.

restless
11-23-2002, 09:24 AM
Interesting. I do take one tablespoon of coconut oil which is suposed to stimulate the thyroid so maybe it makes up for it. Have to check it out though. Thanks for the info.

_-_v_-_
11-23-2002, 09:30 AM
Sorry about the vegetables; I eat those with every meal (brocolli, mushrooms, asparagus, spinach, etc...) I was just too lazy to include them.

Macros are approximately 320c/210p/60f.

That's just a rough, off top-of-head estimate.

And occassionally I do swap out chicken/turkey for lean beef or salmon (in compensation I just reduce the amount of oil or almonds included in the meal).