PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Made Simple

FrusWeighted
11-22-2002, 09:46 PM
What do you guys think of John Basedow's program? More like what do you think of his nutritional plan? I think it's 50%protein, 30%fat, and 20%carbs. Something like that. He is pretty damn ripped though.

_-_v_-_
11-22-2002, 10:00 PM
Do not ascribe merit to his theories solely because he happens to be "ripped."

bradley
11-23-2002, 05:54 AM
I tend to think that different nutritional strategies work well for some and not so well for others. Some people respond well to a low carb high fat approach while others think that a moderate fat moderate carb is the way to go. Try different strategies for yourself and see what works best for you.

FrusWeighted
11-23-2002, 11:07 AM
Thanks for responding. Yeah, I guess I shouldn't take advice from any "fitness star" who shaves his legs. That dude's probably on 'roids anyway. I just can't understand how you can train so hard with weights, while hardly eating any carbs and still get results like that. That's why I'm frustrated.

bradley
11-23-2002, 02:25 PM
I am not saying that it wouldn't work. Would probably be more along the lines of a cutting diet in my opinion. Are you trying to add muscle mass or just lose bf?

FrusWeighted
11-25-2002, 05:24 PM
Well... I'm more concerned with losing body fat, so I can show what muscle I do have. I don't want to lose any muscle, but if in the process of training, whatever coincidental muscle I gain wouldn't be unwelcome. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but thank you for your responses and your help. I appreciate that you all take this forum seriously (for the most part). Later...

Bullrider Billy
11-26-2002, 09:06 AM
I don't think he's got a big enough look to be on 'roids. Personally I think he looks emaciated, not ripped. His diet is probably no more magical than any other balanced, sensible diet.

bradley
11-26-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by FrusWeighted
Well... I'm more concerned with losing body fat, so I can show what muscle I do have. I don't want to lose any muscle, but if in the process of training, whatever coincidental muscle I gain wouldn't be unwelcome. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but thank you for your responses and your help. I appreciate that you all take this forum seriously (for the most part). Later...

If you are more concerned with losing weight then just make sure you are in a caloric deficit each day. A few general guidelines:

1) Multiply your bw x 12 which will give you an estimate for daily caloric intake (increase or decrease as needed, just makes sure you are losing about .5-1 lbs per week)

2) Get at least 1 gram of protien per lb of bw

3) Don't skip out on the fat. Make sure that you get EFA's in your diet. Most recommend about 30% of daily calories come from fat

4) Then you can fill in the gaps with carbs, preferably low GI (except post workout)

These are just a few things to keep in mind and if you have any more questions post them to the board. Let us know height/weight/bf (if you know). Hope this helps somewhat.

FrusWeighted
11-28-2002, 08:29 PM
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 212
BodyFat: Unknown

As far as my bodyfat goes, I'm built solid, but not "ripped". No visible abs, forearms show SOME vein...
If I dropped my BF%, I would really look good. I've got the muscle already.
So I guess I should worry about losing fat first, then when that's done if I want more muscle I can work on that? I just want to put together the right kind of training with the right diet technique. I don't want to end up training like I'm trying to get big, and eating like I'm trying to lose weight.... But I don't want to get weak or smaller either. I could use a little more willpower I guess because I do find myself slippin' when it comes to dieting strict. It's damn hard when you're doing it just for vanity's sake. Plus, having a girlfriend will ruin all that discipline.... I always end up going off my plan when I'm with her because she's not on a diet, and if she's cooking something, there's no way I'm gonna sit and eat a can of tuna while she eats bread and ice cream right in front of me. Maybe I should break up with her?

bradley
11-29-2002, 03:57 AM
Just get the diet in order first and the keep lifting the same way. One of the WBB routines would work well or if you like make up your own. Dieting is not as bad as people make it out to be. I guess the more variety that you have in your diet the easier it is to stick to. Have you thought about coming up with any meal plans yet? If so post them. I save Saturday night as my cheat meal night so that way I can go out with friends and not have to worry about my diet as much. This also gives me something to look forward to throughout the week. Make small changes as you go and it won't seem like that big of a transition. Don't go breaking up with the girlfriend yet.;)