PDA

View Full Version : Question re: sugar

entrrt
11-24-2002, 02:32 AM
got a curious question for ya...

you look on the side of a can of food to read it's nutritional values(cals, protein, etc.) and it says it contains(per serv.) 22 g carbs. AND has 10 g sugar. what's the difference between the two? aren't carbs basically sugar? why is there a carb content AND a sugar content w/ different amounts? :scratch: enlighten me!:)

Silverback
11-24-2002, 03:28 AM
No,carbs are made up of Sugars and Starches for example 22g of carbs and 10g sugar, would probably have 12g starch.

Starchy foods include, potatoes, bread, flour etc...

There is other items that make up carbs put these come under the label of sugars e.g. fructose, glucose, dextrose etc... all slightly different especially on the G.I index.

B-R

restless
11-24-2002, 04:13 AM
I think glucose and dextrose are the same thing.

Silverback
11-24-2002, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by restless
I think glucose and dextrose are the same thing.

you know i think your right, my apology.

body
11-24-2002, 06:10 AM
At the lab they will test for total carbs- this includes fibre etc

then you get available carbs - this is made up of starch and sugars. this is the value you see on the pack as in 22 grams of carbs
then this can be broken down into 10 gram sugar.

from this you can deduce that the product has 12 gram of starches in it.

LAM
11-24-2002, 05:06 PM
food items where the majority of carb count are from simple sugars should be avoided

eclips1
11-24-2002, 06:10 PM
Why is that LAM? I was just about to ask what the benaficial differences are between sugars and starches?

For me sugars seem to give me immediate energy when I neeed it but its not long lasting.

bradley
11-24-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by eclips1
Why is that LAM? I was just about to ask what the benaficial differences are between sugars and starches?

For me sugars seem to give me immediate energy when I neeed it but its not long lasting.

It's true that sugars will give you a quick burst of energy but after that quick energy rush is gone they can leave you feeling more lethargic than you were to begin with. A carb source that is low GI will give a more even longer lasting energy source.

Shao-LiN
11-24-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by entrrt
got a curious question for ya...

you look on the side of a can of food to read it's nutritional values(cals, protein, etc.) and it says it contains(per serv.) 22 g carbs. AND has 10 g sugar. what's the difference between the two? aren't carbs basically sugar? why is there a carb content AND a sugar content w/ different amounts? :scratch: enlighten me!:)

Sugar are carbs.

If you think about it, it lists the total carbohydrate amount per serving. Then, indented, it will list the amount of sugar in there.

If you look up, it should say Total Fat. Indented, it will say Saturated fat amount. It's the same thing.

They're just telling you how many of the carbs are sugar/simple.

entrrt
11-24-2002, 07:06 PM
thanks ! i understand now. :)

Sayiajin Prince
11-24-2002, 10:26 PM
hey what is the best most suggest source of carbs to consume that will give u the most energy?
(rice?)

entrrt
11-25-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Sayiajin Prince
hey what is the best most suggest source of carbs to consume that will give u the most energy?
(rice?)

i'm guessing any low GI carb(i.e., brown rice) would give you the longest duration of energy.

VENOM
11-25-2002, 02:08 AM
if i wanted that sort of energy during my workout, how long before my workout should i eat brown rice??

entrrt
11-25-2002, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by VENOM
if i wanted that sort of energy during my workout, how long before my workout should i eat brown rice??

one or two hours?

btw...do you own a viper or do ya just wish you had one like me!

bradley
11-25-2002, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Sayiajin Prince
(rice?)

Brown rice is good but oats or sweet potato also come to mind.

VENOM
11-25-2002, 03:55 AM
I am studying very hard at school and doing bodybuilding in persuit of some dreams that i have and one of them is to get a viper, i dont just wish i had one, im trying my heart out to get one, btw im only 18 so i definately dont have one.
I like that saying "you can either stay in bed and dream your dreams or you can wake up and chase them".
By the way, i like the new GTS/R :)