PDA

View Full Version : Milk vs. Cottage Cheese

07-03-2001, 08:55 PM
People are always saying drinking milk is an easy way to put on mass.
Wouldn't cottage cheese be even better than milk?Cottage cheese has slightly more calories per serving, twice as much protein per serving, with nearly half as many carbs. Both their amino acid breakdown are similar - the only difference being cottage cheese having more.
And last but not least the taste. Even though both are tasty, I enjoy a cup of 1 or 2% cottage cheese over skim milk.

Any opinions?

Tryska
07-03-2001, 09:10 PM
eat cottage cheese....grow BIG.

Alex.V
07-03-2001, 09:11 PM
I think I've rubbed off on you. Quite nicely.

Tryska
07-03-2001, 09:18 PM
hey...stop rubbing that.;)

mesmall
07-03-2001, 09:28 PM
luv cottage cheese...eat 1 cup a day, only problem is that it has about 1000mg of sodium per cup :D

swedishviking
07-03-2001, 09:32 PM
cottage cheese mixed with fruit or yoghurt, good stuff!

Jane
07-03-2001, 09:33 PM
My grandma (and I know this sounds gross) makes a killer cottage cheese pie thingy. It is unbelievable. The recipe involves eggs, a little milk, cottage cheese, and raisins, and she bakes it and it makes for an amazing breakfast. Some sort of Russian recipe. My friends make fun of me though--"Jane loves her cottage cheese pie".

It does sound weird, though, doesn't it. :p

Alex.V
07-03-2001, 09:41 PM
Yes, it does. But post the recipie. NOW, girlie.

lol.

I've gotta find a way to make it more exciting.

Jane
07-03-2001, 09:51 PM
Recipe on its way. :)

Just gotta wait until my grandma wakes up tommorow morning, and get her to learn how to use measuring devices. You see, she considers measuring cups and spoons an insult. Especially the spoons. She's got a real something against those spoons. "Every-thing must be done using eye-sight now Jenia. None of this silly measuring things. I just look at what I've a-got and add a little bit of this and a liitle bit o'that and..."
You get the point.
This should be interesting...

Frankster
07-03-2001, 09:51 PM
eggs, milk and cottage cheese, made into a good tasting recipee??!
Don't make us go kill your grandma for that recipe!

Gyno Rhino
07-03-2001, 10:05 PM
For mass building? Remember that you need carbs for mass building. And that sugar in the milk will pump glycogen right into your muscles. Milk is the ultimate mass builder, baby.

Alex.V
07-03-2001, 10:07 PM
My momma's like that. I've tried for years to get her lasagna recipe.

"Add in the meat. No wait. Too much. Okay. Now some salt.....naw, that's too little, another pinch. Okay, some flour. About a cup. Actually more like 2 cups... wait...no..."

heathj
07-03-2001, 10:10 PM
Satan's Little Helper is going doooooooooooown! :mad:

;) Santa's Little Helper here to the rescue...ohhhhhhhh yeah.

SweatHawg
07-04-2001, 12:22 AM
I like both but for some reason, my chocolate whey just isn't the same with cottage cheese.....:D Drink about 2 liters of skim milk per day:p

c_8nOM
07-04-2001, 08:05 AM
ah... i can't stand the taste of cottage cheese.... maybe because it was low fat but .. still it taste aweful..

Givus the RECIPE~...~

IceRgrrl
07-04-2001, 08:06 AM
I'd rather eat cottage cheese than drink milk...milk is for baking in my book. Nonfat yogurt is a pretty good source too, esp if you mix a little vanilla protein powder in with it.

mesmall: I've recently been able to find "low sodium" 1% cottage cheese...tastes a little different w/o all that salt but still good.

Tuna mixed w/cottage cheese makes an awesome sandwich...

Jane
07-04-2001, 09:00 AM
Okay, the cottage cheese pie has a name. Its called "zapekanka." I'm going to learn how to make it today, but I don't know if I should use non-fat or low-fat or regular cottage cheese, cause my grandma insists that if you use low-fat, it will screw it up. Personally, I just think that she considers the fatness of her grandchildren a mark of her success, and if we are happily rolling around on the floor and can't fit through doorways, she can die happy. :)

Belial--LOL! Thats exactly what its like in my kitchen. Grandma is the arch enemy of Martha Stewart. No rules, no guides, just a big mess. Although in the end, these miraculous edible creations emerge, and no one knows how they came together.

IceRgrrl--Thanks for the sandwich idea. Lunch for today is taken care of!

Jane
07-04-2001, 09:20 AM
I found a recipe for the zapekanka online. I don't know if this is how grandma does it, because I don't know what semolina and candied peel are, so I don't think she uses them. I think she adds a teeeny bit of flour or something. Anyway, I'm learning how to make it today, but if you're impatient and a risk taker :D you could try this Olga person's version.

http://www.ruscuisine.com/sent/030700.html

Jane
07-04-2001, 09:23 AM
Now that I think about it, since sugar is obviously a no-no tuttut , whats a good way to replace it in recipes? Does anyone know what that Stevia (is that what it is called?) stuff is and how it affects your body? What about aspartame? Is it really dangerous?

Tryska
07-04-2001, 09:34 AM
jane...if you must replace sugar (as opposed to limit how much you eat it), i suppose you could use splenda.....it works for baking, and measures cup for cup the same as sugar...i belive they took regular sugar molecules and replaces the carbon molecules, or something? i trust it a bit more then aspartame, or saccharin......stevia i'm familiar with, it's an extremely sweet herb, but i'm not sure how it works with baking....

Alex.V
07-04-2001, 10:00 AM
Yah, there's Splenda spoonful which actually cooks well. If artificial sweeteners didn't exist....well...I'm fairly sure most of us here would be powerlifters instead..

haha.

Thanks for the link, Jane. I may make a batch of that stuff and try it out.

the doc
07-04-2001, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
For mass building? Remember that you need carbs for mass building. And that sugar in the milk will pump glycogen right into your muscles. Milk is the ultimate mass builder, baby.

Actually the sugar in milk (lactose and galactose)apparently is not very good for replenishing muscle glycogen :(

Yaz
07-04-2001, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Belial
I think I've rubbed off on you. Quite nicely.

That sure ain't milk or cottage cheese, man... :eek:

Jane
07-05-2001, 08:45 PM
Today, I tried mixing some lowfat cottage cheese with blueberries and nearly threw up. I've discovered that I don't like cottage cheese. That's really a shame, since its good for ya, with calcium and everything! Although, the tuna/cottage cheese sandwich thing was ok, I need help figuring out how to like this stuff! There's got to be SOMETHING you can do to the pure stuff (no baking pies) that is yummy! Help!

by the way, I didnt learn the secrets of zapekanka yet, my grandma is sick, I must be patient. <sigh>

IceRgrrl
07-06-2001, 03:41 PM
Jane, if you're not sick of my cooking advice already... :)

My mom always made lasagna w/cottage cheese instead of ricotta. It's actually really good and much less fat. You could make a nice lasagna by going heavy on the cottage cheese and lean meat (maybe ground turkey or turkey sausage?) and pasta sauce and lighter on the noodles (i.e., make every layer of cottage cheese, meat, sauce really thick between noodles.

Cottag cheese and vinegar go well together, believe it or not...sounds weird, but it's good.

I just eat it out of the container w/ a spoon most of the time.

Taras
07-06-2001, 07:46 PM
Jane,

Before you give up on cottage cheese, try another brand. I usually eat Giant Eagle lowfat, and I could easily eat 2 or 3 cups at a sitting. A couple of weeks ago the store was out of that brand so I bought Light and Lively, and I could barely gag it down. Also, try mixing together cottage cheese and fruit flavored yogurt.

I'm still wating for your babushka's recipe!

gary
07-06-2001, 08:19 PM
If you are bothered about sodium content of cottage cheese, dip it into cold water and filter out the salty water using a filter.

Same can be applied to canned tuna/salmon.

Jane
07-06-2001, 09:36 PM
Thats funny, Light and Lively is exactly the kind I tried. Maybe I will try another brand. My mom gets this weird stuff at the Russian deli that she says is "canadian" cottage cheese or something, and it is all chunky and not liquidy at all but it tastes much better. However, I suspect that it is very high in fat and is not pure cottage cheese either.

Does anyone know what "dry flake" cottage cheese is?

And Sunday, by the way, is the big day when I am going to learn the darned recipe.

Jane
07-08-2001, 06:46 PM
*drumroll please*....Today I attempted to create a nutritious version of my babushka's cottage cheese pie. aka "zapekanka." It turns out her recipe uses a weird type of cottage cheese that we get at the Russian deli, butter, flour, and other stuff I had to tweak. My creation was by no means as good as hers (probably because I used american cottage cheese), but it, in my opinion, is a whole lot better than trying to eat pure cottage cheese. This is what I did:

1.5 cup low fat dry flake cottage cheese
1 egg
salt to taste
4 heaping teaspoonfulls of sugar
2 large heaping tablespoons flour
raisins to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Mix everything but the raisins (it shouldnt be too runny, if it is, add flour). Put raisins in cup, pour boiling water over them, and drain after a couple minutes. Mix raisins into mixture. Spray round pan with cooking spray. Pour mixture into pan and Bake at 375 until the top is all golden in color, and the edges are brown. Tastes good right out of the oven. Keep leftovers in fridge. You can eat it warm or cold, I prefer warm, so I reheat in a tabletop oven.

Id like to play around with this some more though, and maybe try stevia for the sugar or maybe even get some protein powder in there...it has potential.

If you really want a treat, try adding enough flour to make patties out of the mixture, and pan-fry them. This is called "syrniki" and they are best eaten with sour cream (yes cold sour cream, it works) or with condensed milk (yummm).