PDA

View Full Version : Can Milk cause Kidney stones

d221
11-25-2002, 07:54 AM
I have recently added two pints of milk a day to my diet. Someone told me the other day that drinking to much milk can cause kidney stones.

Is this true, from my understanding its too much Vitamin C that causes Kidney Stones.

Thanks,

D221

Paul Stagg
11-25-2002, 09:10 AM
Milk does not cause kidney stones.

Saint Patrick
11-29-2002, 12:31 AM
I think it's a really high calcium intake that can possibly cause kidney stones. But like teh moderator said, milk doesn't cause it.

BUFF STUFF
11-29-2002, 04:17 PM
Ok but how about too much vitamin C?

Stray
11-29-2002, 04:21 PM
Vitamin C is water soluable ...any excess Vitamin C that your body doesn't use gets excreted though your ding-a-ling.

(when you go tinkles)

Saint Patrick
11-29-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Stray
any excess Vitamin C that your body doesn't use gets excreted though your ding-a-ling.

(when you go tinkles)

Stray, you certainly have a way with words.

Stray
11-29-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by stpatrick44

Stray, you certainly have a way with words.

:thumbup:

Lizzie
11-29-2002, 09:13 PM
My understanding is that kidney stones are made up of uric acid crystals......same type of thing you'd find in gout. People who develp stones on a regular basis can try diet changes.....you are supposed to cut down on protein intake etc....plus drink lots of water to flush the system

entrrt
12-02-2002, 01:28 PM
speaking of kidney stones....

i passed one 5 yrs. ago and feel lucky that i haven't had anymore(cuz it hurt like hell!!) my dad and his dad had them too:(

raniali
12-02-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by BUFF STUFF
Ok but how about too much vitamin C?

Too little:
Scurvy -- Capillary fragility resulting in bruising and hemorrhaging, inflammation of the gums, loosening of the teeth, anemia and general debility that can lead to death
Loss of hair

Too much:
A toxic release of inorganic iron which can be potentially fatal in some people
Formation of oxalate kidney stones
Rebound scurvy if the vitamin is abruptly stopped
Damage to the outer layer of the teeth (enamel) if the tablets are chewed
Nausea, vomiting, heartburn, abdominal cramps, headache, diarrhea, and abnormal heart rhythms

.....however, Linus Pauling spent the last decade of his life on VitC research and fervently argued that mega-doses (10-12g/day) added years to the lives of ailing cancer patients.

raniali
12-02-2002, 02:42 PM
you never know what might be found detrimental next ...