PDA

View Full Version : diet question

lugg
11-25-2002, 01:02 PM
hi, i have a question about diets and calories. i was told that your metabolism will slow down if you eat the same amount of calories for a long period of time, because your body gets adapted. is this true?

with your metabolism slowing down it would possibly make gaining fat easier correct?

thanks in advance for any replies

Tiare
11-25-2002, 01:16 PM
Depends on what you mean. You will slow down in general and burn less calories if you are hungry all the time. It's possible that your body will compensate for a caloric deficit by burning unused muscle tissue (thus reducing your total daily caloric needs) and even by lowering your normal body temperature (you can keep your eyes on that by tracking your body temp every morning).

If you were in a situation like this, you wouldn't be gaining fat because you would be in a net caloric deficit. People who don't eat enough don't gain much fat as a rule of thumb. Your total % of body fat might increase though if you are burning up more muscle than fat...

In reality, it's pretty much a case by case basis and generalities don't work very well though.

lugg
11-25-2002, 01:44 PM
i'm actually trying to gain some muscle so i'm not in a defecit of calories, but i've been eating the same amounts for several weeks now. so then does your metabolism just slow down only if you are in defecit?

bradley
11-25-2002, 02:19 PM
If you are in a caloric surplus you shouldn't have to worry about your metabolism slowing down.

NateDogg
11-25-2002, 02:33 PM
:withstupi

lugg
11-25-2002, 07:13 PM
that clears it up. thanks