PDA

View Full Version : is microwaved food high on the glycemic index (GI)?

iLUDEd
11-26-2002, 01:21 AM
for most grains (oats etc) the quicker they cook, the higher they are on the GI. Is this only the case for grains, or for all carbohydrates? thus leading to my enxt question.. does this mean all microwaved food is high on the glycemic index because it only takes a few minutes to microwave something?

WillKuenzel
11-26-2002, 05:10 AM
In saying microwaved food are you meaning those precooked dinners or what? Slow cooking oats aren't, sweet potatoes aren't either. You can cook both of those in the microwave.

Microwaving food is just heating it up. You can heat or cook almost anything in the microwave so I don't think all microwaved food is high on the GI.

iLUDEd
11-26-2002, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by HomeYield
In saying microwaved food are you meaning those precooked dinners or what?

yeah, the pre cooked frozen meals u can buy from the supermarket

Workhorse
11-26-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by iLUDEd
It's just me, but I wouldn't eat those.

bradley
11-26-2002, 02:41 PM

I don't know about all of them but most are higher on the GI index. Most of these types of products include some type of pasta or white rice as the carb source along with some type of vegetable.

Stray
11-26-2002, 03:14 PM

I wouldn't eat those things either if I had a choice in the matter :p

Silverback
11-26-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Stray

I wouldn't eat those things either if I had a choice in the matter :p

lol same here, they are usually packed with crap + **** loads of salt which aint very good for the aspiring bodybuilder.

Saint Patrick
11-26-2002, 06:00 PM
:withstupi

iLUDEd
11-28-2002, 11:33 AM
they dont taste that bad, i usually have the meal thats got pepper steak, with potatos n peas.. tastles pretty good actually :)

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-28-2002, 01:11 PM
for most grains (oats etc) the quicker they cook, the higher they are on the GI. Is this only the case for grains, or for all carbohydrates? thus leading to my enxt question.. does this mean all microwaved food is high on the glycemic index because it only takes a few minutes to microwave something?

As long as you're not eating the instant oats, don't worry about it.

GI shouldn't be taken too seriously anyway.