PDA

View Full Version : self improvement is masturbation

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

fuzz
11-27-2002, 12:14 PM
So, this is my entry into training journal stardom. My lifting exploits. On the web. For all to see.

Aren't you excited? I know I am.

Okay, enough of that talk. Some background on me...

I'm 23, a computer programmer, married with a beautiful 10 week old son. I started lifting in my junior year at college, which I guess was only a couple years ago. Man, it feels like a long time. I really only started lifting seriously within this last year, though. Meaning I started squatting, deadlifting, working the whole body and training smart. In college I did mostly upper body, on an unreliable schedule, with way too much drinking and irresponsibility to make any good gains.

Now I've been using the great Hypertrophy Specific Training (http://www.hsnhst.com), so my workouts have structure and science behind them now. I've completed two cycles, both of which were bulking cycles. Unfortunately, I was probably a little fat to begin with (14%ish body fat), so when I finished my most recent cycle a couple weeks ago I looked at my gut and realized I need to start cutting. So my third cycle starts Monday, and I can't wait. Right now I'm in "strategic deconditioning", which is actually just a 9-14 day break between cycles. There is a reason for it besides just getting a break, read the article (http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_artcls_stratdecon.html) for that. In the mean time, I've been working on diet, doing some cardio, and just trying to get over a cold that has plagued me for too long now.

Did you know the human head weights eight pounds?

My diet can be seen at FitDay (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=rsanheim), which I update pretty religiously. I will probably include links to the current day when I start posting workouts. For instance, yesterday's diet is Here (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=rsanheim&Year=2002&Month=10&Day=26).

I use no support gear except chalk, converse all-stars, and my nuts. No belts or straps, thats for pussies.

My current best lifts, which are weak as hell but have been improving steadily:
bench 185 x 1 - I want to bench 225 as soon as possible...this is so weak. Bench seems to be the hardest thing for me to improve on.
incline bench 150 x 1 - Lame.
squat 235 x 1 - A guess, based on 215 x 1. I squat pretty low, medium stance, below parallel.
deadlift 250 x 1 - This is a guess, as I can do 225 x 5 but haven't tested max. Grip needs work before I can really move up.

Goals - trying to keep this somewhat realistic yet still difficult enough that I have to push myself...
12/31/2002 Sub 12% body fat
02/01/2003 Sub 10% body fat, see at least a 4 pack
03/01/2003 bench 205x1, deadlift 275x1, squat 250x1
06/01/2003 bench 225x1, deadlift 300x1, squat 275x1
01/01/2004 bench 245x1, deadlift 315x1, squat 295x1
01/01/2005 bench 315x1, deadlift 405x1, squat 365x1
01/01/2006 CONQUER THE WORLD

My current measurements (bodybuilders just love numbers, don't they? Gives the impression of control I guess).
Height 6'2"
Weight 210 ish - this varies so much day to day I dunno for sure. I've lost at least 3-4 pounds in the last few weeks of cutting, though
I have the rest of my measurements in a notebook somewhere, I'll edit this later and add them. I'll also post some pics hopefully by monday. Last time I had my body fat measured was July 10th, I was 13.8 % according to calipers. Tested by a trainer at the club I go to, which seems consistent with the 12.5% I got a month before that from the same guy, since I was bulking at the time. I'll probably get that measured again today to see whats up - I also got some slimguide calipers coming in the mail, so I can start measuring myself.

Supplements:
Centrum Performance Multi Vitamin
Iron-Tek Essential Whey Powder
Creatine 5 mg - been using for maybe 2 months, gained about 7 or 8 pounds when I went on it
Vitamin C 1000 mg
Omega 3 1000 mg caps x 6 a day
Echinachea 400 mg x 1 or 2 - I hate winters here
Thermal Blast 4 EC stack x 3 while I cut and until I lose my mind
Dianabol 500 mg x 2 (just kidding)
A steady diet of hardcore and screamo, plus some indie rawk here and tekno..

This is seriously getting too long, especially considering this is just an intro and I haven't even started my cycle. Who cares, its my journal, right?!

Last night I couldn't stand it and had to lift...which is a no-no during SD, but oh well...I just went in and messed around a bit:

squats (low and good form) 95 x 10, 135 x 10, 135 x 13, 185 x 5
bench 115 x 10, 135 x 8, 135 x 8
seated military press 85 x 6, 65 x 6 (shoulders burning like hell...I am really feeling the results of my SD)

Ran for about 35 minutes, did 3.5 miles with some intervals for good measure. Stretched awhile, tried to keep my thigh from cramping, went home and fed the baby. Overall, was a good workout. Post work out shake was kinda weird, haven't used the carbo-powder yet. Seven hours of sleep, which is what I'm shooting for now.

Its almost time for haircut, which is badly needed.

millertime
11-27-2002, 12:17 PM
Good luck!

ericg
11-27-2002, 12:27 PM
nice intro man!!

hope you keep posting, seems like it will be a very interesting journal. :thumbup:

fuzz
11-27-2002, 04:17 PM
got body fat measured today at lunch:

four site caliper method:
tricep: 12 mm
abdomen: 32 mm
ilium: 11.5 mm
thigh 14 mm

total skinfold: 69.5
= 15.8% +- 3.5 % margin of error

weight: 210
BF (bodyfat): 33.2
FFBM (fat-free body mass): 176.8

A little bit higher I expected. Oh well.

Lots of cottage cheese today. MMMMmmmmm!!

mooooooooooooooooo.

Mik
11-27-2002, 04:29 PM
Nice start to the journal man! Good luck.

rookiebldr
11-27-2002, 05:18 PM
Welcome to the journal section. Looks like you'll fit in here quite well.

tuttut on the workout during SD. :D :D I do hope you do well on the cutting cycle, so good luck.

bradley
11-27-2002, 05:21 PM
Good luck with the journal. Look forward to seeing your progress.

Franjipani
11-27-2002, 09:01 PM
Congrats on your new journal:thumbup:

btw...interesting journal title ;)

WillKuenzel
11-27-2002, 09:13 PM
I just had to come in and comment. Nice start to a journal.
I like the quote too. I just had a philosophy class and we talked about that same thing. Interesting. Good luck with it.

...now self-destruction...

Maki Riddington
11-27-2002, 09:29 PM
Cool, get those pics up asap!:)

Just some girl
11-27-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by fuzz
mooooooooooooooooo.

You moo'ed!! :eek:

:D:D:D nice.

Good luck with everything! :)

fuzz
11-28-2002, 12:36 AM
Thanks for all the kind words, guys. Hope to get this up rather regularily. It should be fun and should be a nice way to stay accountable for my diet and training.

So I played some basketball tonight. Full court, 5 on 5, about four games. Must have played for at least an hour and half, and I haven't played serious ball since September. And I was still sore from last night's lifting.

In other words, I'm sore as hell.

My buddy came over and made some pasta with sausage and beef in the sauce, so at least we at good after meal.

Lots of skim milk, too. Where would I be without skim milk? Probably exactly where I am right now.

He is now tearing it up on the decks....mmm teknos.

Tomorrow is a default cheat day, cause I'm taking a freind out for his 21st birthday. In other words, probably at least 1000 calories in alcohol and carbs. White russians. Long Islands. You know whats up baby.

I think I just get to bed soon. Its getting progressively harder to walk.

powerhalf
11-28-2002, 11:47 AM
>Self improvement is masturbation.
But self destruction...?

First, you've got to give up. Know, not fear, but know, that some day you're gonna die.

fuzz
11-29-2002, 06:58 PM
11/29/02

My Thanksgiving was ...okay. Ate a lot, not too healthy either but it was a schedule cheat day so thats okay:

Fitday link: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=rsanheim&Year=2002&Month=10&Day=28

Sleep: about 5 hours on Wednesday night, 13 hours last night. Yeah, thats 13 hours. I haven't slept in like that for a real long time, and it was great. Not to mention I was kind of down because of some stuff from Thanksgiving...

Got into a nasty fight with my wife during the T-day, which is not cool. She is still pretty pissed with me. Think I might get her some Godiva tonight and maybe a rose. Try and make things up.

I'm so sore its rediculous. Lifting on Tuesday for the first time in 9 days or so, Basketball on Wed. for the first time in months, and then an hour or two of pick up football. I guess I'm not really "strategically deconditioning" here, huh? Oh well, I'll take it easy the rest of the weekend and try and be in good shape for Monday.

I just took a mega supplement stack with dinner - multivitamin, echinachea, vitamin c, and Omega 3. Plus about 6 g creatine. I wonder if taking all that crap at once is just kind of counter productive. I'm sure the meal would help, though.

Work 10 pm to close tonight at my second job. Delivering pizzas. Have to resist the temptation to eat that junk tonight. I think I should mix up a protein shake to sip on.

Saw World's Strongest Man on ESPN today. It was pretty sweet. The best deadlift was 765 lbs, not too shabby considering they were all lifting either raw or just with chalk and a belt. No straps, no pussy suits. The Atlas Stones is badass, too. Lifting 300 lb stones above your head and placing them on a platform. Just insane. The underdog was nicknamed "stumpy", and was 5'3" and had to literally lift the stone up to his chest and then push it over his head to get it on the platform. All the guys were massive - 60' chest, 20" biceps (at least), and over 300 lbs.

Converge (http://www.convergecult.com/) is the soundtrack of tonight's post. Have a pleasant day.

fuzz
11-29-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by powerhalf
>Self improvement is masturbation.
But self destruction...?

First, you've got to give up. Know, not fear, but know, that some day you're gonna die.

Yes.

You have to learn to let go.

This is your life, and its ending one minute at a time.

fuzz
11-30-2002, 07:44 AM
So, im still awake from work. I got home around 5:30, cleaned up around the house, messed on the internet, ate some scrambies, and here I am. Wonder how long I will sleep. Ate okay last night, only one slice of pizza and kept protein high.

11-29 Fitday (diet link): http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=rsanheim&Year=2002&Month=10&Day=29

I want to get my HST plan in order when I wake up today, see what kind of weights I will be throwing around.

The damn cat keeps jumping on the keyboard. I'm about to toss her all the way across the room if she does it again. Not really, but Siamese cats can be so needy sometimes its just rediculous.

Time for bed. I'm outtie 5000.

Franjipani
11-30-2002, 05:08 PM
The damn cat keeps jumping on the keyboard.

*lol*..... so does mine:D:D

fuzz
12-01-2002, 09:50 PM
Wow, its December already. Worked again today, just a short shift. Start HST cycle 3 tomorrow. WOOOO!! Its about time, I've missed lifting these past couple weeks. I think I'm losing weight, so my diet must be working - hopefully its mostly fat. Calipers should arrive in a week or so so I can start measuring bodyfat.

Yesterday's Fitday: Here (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=rsanheim&Year=2002&Month=10&Day=30)

Sleep: 10 - 11 hours? Slept in quite a bit.

Got quite a bit of stuff to do tonight. Gotta figure out my weights for this HST cycle. I'll probably post that later.

ericg
12-02-2002, 08:01 AM
Things cool on the homefront now?

So where are you at? I mean where are you currently living?

fuzz
12-02-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by ericg
Things cool on the homefront now?

So where are you at? I mean where are you currently living?

Yeah things are better. I bought her a rose and we've talked about things a little. I have a feeling there will be more talking about it, though.

I live in Wisconsin. We got our first real snowfall today. I really don't like winter much. I'm ready for California...

Where do you live?

fuzz
12-02-2002, 08:54 PM
Here's the plan for the next two weeks, for the 15 rep cycle:

Day 1 2 3 4 5 6
Squat 115 X 130 X 145 X
DL X 120 X 140 X 160
Leg Curl 63 63 75 75 88 88
Dips 100 110 110 120 120 130
Incline Bench 85 85 90 95 100 105
Pull Ups 60 60 70 70 80 80
Mil Press 55 55 55 60 60 65
Skullcrushers 45 50 50 55 55 60
EZ Curls 40 45 45 50 50 55
Calf Raise 100 110 110 120 120 130

I'm alternating squats and deadlifts because doing them every other day together was just way too much for me the first two cycles. Weights for pull ups and dips is the true weight I'll be doing, I'm not up to doing bodyweight yet, especially for 15 reps.

The 15s are always tough. Doing low weights, but they are hard because you've been away for a couple weeks. Ugh.

fuzz
12-02-2002, 09:00 PM
First real workout for HST! Finally get this shiz underway. Tonight's workout was decent. Not too tough, felt invigorated more then anything after I was done, which is how today should go.

Fitday: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=rsanheim&Year=2002&Month=11&Day=2

Sleep: about 4 hours? bad bad bad. BAD FUZZ.

Workout:

Squat
10 x 95, 15 x 115, 13 x 115

Could've done 15 for the second set, but it wasn't worth it. No need to kill myself the first day out.

Leg Curls
15 x 63

blah. Burned pretty decent.

Dips
15 x 100

This was harder then I expected. Still getting used to this exercise.

Incline Bench
15 x 85, 10 x 85

Again, trying to show some restraint...

Pull Ups
15 x 50, 12 x 90

My shoulders were really fried by this point. Not sure about the order of my exercises. And I really don't have the weight down for this yet...so I was kinda playing it by ear.

Military Press
15 x 55

Skullcrushers
15 x 45
9 x 45

Curls
15 x 40
10 x 40

Quite a pump in my arms. Just like AHHHNOLD.

Calf Raises
15 x 100
15 x 100

my calves are actually a strong point. Weird.

Need to sleep some more tonight. Still need to eat more. Not. Enough. Time. In. Day.

rookiebldr
12-02-2002, 10:27 PM
My shoulders were really fried by this point. Not sure about the order of my exercises. And I really don't have the weight down for this yet...so I was kinda playing it by ear.

Have you changed the order much from your earlier two cycles? This is fairly close to the order I've been doing and it seems a pretty standard for HST.

Skull crushers + curls = pump for arms. Yes! AHHHNOLD.

fuzz
12-03-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by rookiebldr

Have you changed the order much from your earlier two cycles? This is fairly close to the order I've been doing and it seems a pretty standard for HST.

Skull crushers + curls = pump for arms. Yes! AHHHNOLD.

Well I'm doing dips and chins, which I wasn't doing in the last two cycles. So I'm still kind of working out the kinks. The order as far as muscle groups is still pretty much the same.

fuzz
12-03-2002, 11:50 PM
Good day today. Lotsa stuff done. No WO of course.

Diet was pretty much spot on.

Fitday: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=rsanheim&Year=2002&Month=11&Day=3

Sleep: about 7 and a half hours

Was still pretty tired this morning, not sure why. Think I woke up in the middle of the night. Lame.

Wife tried to tempt me with freshly baked cookies. Does she not know my willpower? I only accepted one, and would not take another despite her pleading. I laugh in the face of temptation.

Gotta get up in 6 hours. Dammit.

rookiebldr
12-04-2002, 06:03 AM

Wife tried to tempt me with freshly baked cookies. Does she not know my willpower? I only accepted one, and would not take another despite her pleading. I laugh in the face of temptation.

lol. I have the worst time resisting these when my daughter has just cooked a batch and she is so proud of this recently acquired skill. :)

fuzz
12-04-2002, 11:25 AM
I've been thinking of refining my diet a bit. Please give me any feedback or criticism on it before I go do some massive shopping and cooking.

BTW - my maintenence calories is around 3000, 3500 or so on MWF with workouts. I'm cutting right now, taking an EC stack 3 times a day.

6:30 am
- 12 oz skim milk
- 1 harvest powerbar
( This meal really can't change - I get up to feed my son every day, so my meal has to be fast, easy and very easy to eat with a baby in your arms. Plus I get powerbars real cheap. )

8:15 am
- 3 whole hard boiled eggs ( Eggs are my friend. )
- 2 caps omega 3
- yogurt
- take supplements:
- multivitamin,
- vitamin c 1000 mg
- maybe some vitamin e? I've heard you should have some to help the fish oil...

10 am
- 1 cup fat free cottage cheese

1 pm
- 3 oz turkey
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 slize provolone cheese
- 2 oz trail mix
- 2 caps omega 3
( nice basic sandwich, easy to make in the morning, plus trail mix for snacking )

2:30 pm
- 8 oz protein drink
- 2 caps omega 3

6 pm
- 4 oz chicken breast
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables
- 12 oz skim milk
- 2 caps omega 3

10 pm
- 1 cup cottage cheese
( for overnight protein )

Breakdown: 2400 cals 67 g fat/208 g carbs/214 g protein

On workout days I would just add a post workout shake, which would be about 370 cals - 60 g carb/27 g protein.

All comments appreciated.

NateDogg
12-04-2002, 11:30 AM
Hey fuzz,

Sweet journal so far. Just checkin' in. My bench press is my weakest link too (IMO) although I am starting to progress with it. Good luck with HST!!

ND

BennettBoy
12-04-2002, 11:55 AM
I've been thinking of refining my diet a bit. Please give me any feedback or criticism on it before I go do some massive shopping and cooking.

BTW - my maintenence calories is around 3000, 3500 or so when on MWF with workouts. I'm cutting right now, taking an EC stack 3 times a day.

6:30 am
- 12 oz skim milk
- 1 harvest powerbar
( This meal really can't change - I get up to feed my son every day, so my meal has to be fast, easy and very easy to eat with a baby in your arms. Plus I get powerbars real cheap. )

8:15 am
- 3 whole hard boiled eggs ( Eggs are my friend. )
- 2 caps omega 3
- yogurt
- take multivitamin, vitamin c 1000 mg, maybe some vitamin e? I've heard you should have some to help the fish oil...

10 am
- 1 cup fat free cottage cheese

1 pm
- 3 oz turkey
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 slize provolone cheese
- 2 oz trail mix
- 2 caps omega 3
( nice basic sandwich, easy to make in the morning, plus trail mix for snacking )

2:30 pm
- 8 oz protein drink
- 2 caps omega 3

6 pm
- 4 oz chicken breast
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables
- 12 oz skim milk
- 2 caps omega 3

10 pm
- 1 cup cottage cheese
( for overnight protein )

Breakdown: 2400 cals 67 g fat/208 g carbs/214 g protein

On workout days I would just add a post workout shake, which would be about 370 cals - 60 g carp/27 g protein.

All comments appreciated.

To quote The Chicken Daddy....don't drop calories too fast. If you have been taking in 3000 daily, don't drop 600 right off the bat. Drop about 200 a day for the first week, then 200 more...and so on until you feel you are at a level where you are dropping 1 pound a week or so. Too much muscle loss could be compromised by dropping too quickly.

fuzz
12-04-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by BennettBoy

To quote The Chicken Daddy....don't drop calories too fast. If you have been taking in 3000 daily, don't drop 600 right off the bat. Drop about 200 a day for the first week, then 200 more...and so on until you feel you are at a level where you are dropping 1 pound a week or so. Too much muscle loss could be compromised by dropping too quickly.

Hey, actually I did drop down gradually a few weeks ago...I just know from fitday and prior experience that 3000 cals is about maint.

thanks though!

powerhalf
12-04-2002, 09:12 PM
>"There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts to answering the fundamental question of philosophy." - Camus

Fuzz, you seem to bring out the geek in me. First my dorky knowledge of Fight Club quotes, and the name Camus reminds me of Camus and Miklotov, characters in Suikoden 2 :cool:

fuzz
12-05-2002, 08:13 PM
Yesterday's report:

Fitday: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=rsanheim&Year=2002&Month=11&Day=4

Diet was pretty good

Sleep: 7 hours or so?

General: Energy pretty low, not sure why. Still not feeling like I'm getting enough sleep. Got some supplements today, fish oil and multi vitamins. Plus a thing of whey. I'm set for awhile now.

Workout:

Deadlift
15 x 120, 12 x 120
pretty easy, could done more.

Leg Curl
15 x 63
nice burn on these

Dips
15 x 110, 12 x 110
these are still felt in my tris too much and not enough pecs. I do them leaning forward on the assisted chin/dip machine, which means its hard to lean forward enough. still trying to find a way to hit my chest...

Incline bench
15 x 85

Pullups (on pullup assist machine)
15 x 60, 15 x 60
yea i'm weak in this. its cause i'm tall. really.

Mil press
15 x 55

Skulls
15 x 50

Curls
15 x 45

Calf Raise
15 x 110, 15 x 110

Leg Press
10 x 235
Just threw this in to see what I could do. Not bad, maybe my 15 RM is around 200?

fuzz
12-05-2002, 08:18 PM
HI.

TODAY WAS FUN.

NO WORKOUT.

DIET BAD (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=rsanheim&Year=2002&Month=11&Day=5)
ATE PIZZA HUT.

GOT BODY FAT CALIPERS. MEASURE MY FLAB. KNOW MY PROGRESS.

NEED MORE SLEEP. TIRED MAN. TIRED BODY. MUSCLE. SORE.

BYE.

fuzz
12-06-2002, 01:44 PM
Slept in today. That was pretty bad. I was sooo tired though cuz baby woke me up at 5:00 am. Damn baby. If he wasn't so cute...

Fitday: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=rsanheim&Year=2002&Month=11&Day=6
diet's going pretty good today

Sleep: 7 hrs, though some of it was interupted and really doesn't count

Workout tonight. I need to take some pictures, too, before I get too far along in this cycle.

kAiXuan
12-06-2002, 01:55 PM
good journal, your really not cycling are you?

fuzz
12-06-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by kAiXuan
good journal, your really not cycling are you?

Oh, if I said "cycle" I was probably referring to my cycles with HST.

That and my cycle of test, anadrol, deca, and winstrol.

I mean, thats the only way to get big, right?

kAiXuan
12-06-2002, 02:07 PM
lol, i hope your not serious

fuzz
12-09-2002, 10:45 AM
Sooo, i lifted friday night, and then this weekend all hell broke lose. I mean, I planned on Saturday being a cheat day but it was a fcuking cheat day. Drank way too much. Drinking like that just isn't that fun anymore.

I don't have my workout log with me, so I'll just keep it real with the other stuff.

Saturday fitday (warning, massive alcohol consumption): http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=rsanheim&Year=2002&Month=11&Day=7

4500 calories, with a third of it from alcohol. Thats anabolic, right?

Besides that, though, I was fairly active. Worked 6 hours or something at my second job (delivering pizzas).

Sunday fitday: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=rsanheim&Year=2002&Month=11&Day=8

This was pretty bad. Not nearly enough protein. I gotta get off my ass and make some protein shakes.

Does anyone care about these fitday links?

Does anyone read this?

I took a bunch of pictures on Friday and I got some caliper measurements. Looks like I have lost some fat since the last reading, which is pretty sweet. I need to do some better readings and get more practice at it, though. They aren't that easy to use.

Aphex Twin makes me feel weird while I'm at work.

fuzz
12-09-2002, 10:25 PM
Worked out at the east side gym. Good workout.

Squat
15 x 135
- these went well

Leg Curl
15 x 70

Dips
15 x 90 assist
- finally felt these in the pecs primarily...leaned forward on the platform and kept my knees back

Incline bench
13 x 90
- pretty tough after the dips

Pull ups
15 x 70 assist, 11 x 70

Military Press
15 x 60
- these were pretty tough, my shoulders were frizied from the dips/bench/etc

Skulls
13 x 50
- stopped as form fell apart

Curls
8 x 45, 8 x 45, 8 x 45
- pretty burnt out here, did the 1st set with just the olympic bar to try it

Calf Raise
15 x 120, 13.5 x 120
- these left some nice bruises on my shoulders, this machine sucks

fuzz
12-09-2002, 10:31 PM
Deadlift
10 x 135, 15 x 135, 8 x 135
- started to feel some pain in lower back on the last set, so I stopped at 8...I do not like feeling that at all. Usually deads are pretty much pain free for me, as far as back pain. I may have rushed the first set...plus 10 x 135 is a lot for warmup.

Leg Press
15 x 180, 15 x 180
- I'm probably gonna add these from now on when I don't squat so that my quads get hit. Problem is I don't know what my weight should be like - I usually never do the leg press. This seemed pretty easy, I'm guessing my 15 RM is around 225, maybe more.

Leg Curl
15 x 75

Dips
8 x 120 assist, 15 x 80 assist, 9.5 x 80 assist
- these were alright

Pull Ups
15 x 130 assist, 10 x 130
- Concentrating on actually pulling with my back, and not using my arms or shoulders as much.

Mil Press
14 x 65, 8 x 65
- These went a lot better since I didn't bench, my shoulders were fresher.

diaper change intermission - - - diaper change intermission (15 min break)

Skulls
15 x 55
- Pretty good, got the twinge in my left elbow which seems to always happen

Curls
15 x 50
- Hard.

Calf Raise
15 x 130, 10 x 130
Good burn to finish things off.

rookiebldr
12-09-2002, 10:39 PM

4500 calories, with a third of it from alcohol. Thats anabolic, right?

nope, but you knew that, right? :D

Does anyone care about these fitday links?

Does anyone read this?

*raises hand* I read your journal, just not your fitday links.

I took a bunch of pictures on Friday and I got some caliper measurements. Looks like I have lost some fat since the last reading, which is pretty sweet. I need to do some better readings and get more practice at it, though. They aren't that easy to use.

Well done on the fat loss.

And what was diaper intermission - 15 mins for a dump?

fuzz
12-09-2002, 10:54 PM

nope, but you knew that, right? :D

*raises hand* I read your journal, just not your fitday links.

Well done on the fat loss.

And what was diaper intermission - 15 mins for a dump?

Thanks...I think this diet is finally starting to show some results.
Also nice to see that you're reading...

Well, Leif just peed more then his diaper could hold. So he needed to be changed completely before I could finish things up.

fuzz
12-10-2002, 08:46 AM
Feeling pretty good today. Actually had some energy this morning before coffee and everything. Very little sniffles or anything, so I am relatively virus free.

Sleep: 6.5 hours
- Not bad, with all the stuff I got done last night considered.

I'm probably getting an mp3 player for christmas. No longer will I be forced to workout while listening to horrible muzak and idle conversation. After december 25th, it will be all hardcore lifting, all the time.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

(ahem)

(cough)

(readjust boxers)

whoa

fuzz
12-10-2002, 04:03 PM
Diet pretty good today, pretty much isocaloris split spot on. Kinda hungry right now, though...I'm only at about 1600 cals right now, though. Should be at 2600 or so by day's end.

Got some mild soreness in my back and chest, nothing too bad. I guess the pull ups and dips are working, though. I feel like such a pussy compared to the all the guys doing dips with like 100 lbs added, and I'm doing them with 80 lbs assistance or whatever. I just wish I had started seriously lifting a long time ago, instead of half a year ago. Where would I be now if I had really gotten into lifting at age 16, or even 20?

fuzz
12-11-2002, 03:07 PM
Geez its Wednesday already. This week is flying. Looking forward to working out tonight, this is the fifth day of 15's so things should be getting more difficult now. Gotta go to east side, so I might be playing some ball afterwards if I'm not too drained.

Diet: Pretty good, I'm pretty much in a great routine of getting about 2500 cals or so, w/ at least 200 grams protein. Grilled up about 20 chicken breasts last night on the ginormous foreman grill, so I should be set for that for awhile.

Sleep: Maybe 5.5 hours last night. This is still a struggle. There is just too much stuff to do in a day.

I had a dream that my pecs were huge and my abs were all ripped, only they looked really strange. Like rolls of muscle or something. It was bizarre. Maybe I spend too much time thinking about/writing about/working on lifting and fitness. Maybe I have muscle dysmorphia.

fuzz
12-11-2002, 10:17 PM
ohmygod...i'm so tired.

Full body work out + full court basketball + not enough sleep = pain. I was pretty much dead after the workout...and then I went and played a couple full court games. My back is not happy right now. I upped calories big time because I knew the workout would be a long one...around 3800 for the day. Of course I probably expended around 4500 or so.

I'll post the workout tomorrow morning. I need to get to bed.

fuzz
12-11-2002, 10:29 PM
Took my bodyfat measurements last night with my nifty new calipers. Used the 3 site method and taking quite a few skinfolds to try and get a good reading, so these are averages...also, I'm not going to place much weight on this since its my first attempt to get caliper readings. It takes a lot of practice to get accurate with them.

chest: 8 mm
thigh: 18 mm
abdominal: 27 mm

total of skinfolds: 53 mm

weight: 208
estimated bf: 15.2%
estimated ffbm: 176
estimated fat weight: 32

measurements on the 11/27/02:
weight: 210
BF (bodyfat): 33.2
FFBM (fat-free body mass): 176.8

So...assuming all this is accurate (which it probably isn't) I've lost about a pound of fat and almost maintained muscle. In about two weeks. Not bad...once I start getting more proficient with the calipers I'll trust the results more. For now this is just kind of a test. I'll probably measure again around Christmas time and see how things are going.

rookiebldr
12-11-2002, 11:32 PM
I'm probably getting an mp3 player for christmas. No longer will I be forced to workout while listening to horrible muzak and idle conversation. After december 25th, it will be all hardcore lifting, all the time.

:clap: amen to the muzak!

I sympathize with you on the sleep item. Need the sleep but just can't seem to get there.

And, yes! Oh to be 20 once again and have a "do over".

fuzz
12-12-2002, 10:10 AM

:clap: amen to the muzak!

I sympathize with you on the sleep item. Need the sleep but just can't seem to get there.

And, yes! Oh to be 20 once again and have a "do over".

Yea it seems like sleep is the main factor holding me back right now. I have training done pretty well, my diet is coming around, but just getting in bed at a decent hour is nearly impossible. Working 45 - 60 hrs a week, taking care of finances, the baby, the wife, cooking...I just don't know what I can do to start making more time for sleep - even though I know how important it is.

About the age thing, though...I'm only 23 so I guess I don't have too much to complain about. Days like today I feel quite a bit older, though! How old are you, rookie? Late 60s? ;)

GeneticallyGifted
12-12-2002, 10:21 AM
Fuzz,

Sorry about what happened in Eclips1s'Journal...We got off on the wrong foot. I believe that you possibly have some great stuff to say and I may miss is over bullshyt. I'm breaking bread with ya.

G'd Up!

fuzz
12-12-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by GeneticallyGifted
Fuzz,

Sorry about what happened in Eclips1s'Journal...We got off on the wrong foot. I believe that you possibly have some great stuff to say and I may miss is over bullshyt. I'm breaking bread with ya.

G'd Up!

Hey GG,

No problem. Sorry if I took the debate a little too far - I get stupid like that sometimes.

No worries man.

fuzz
12-14-2002, 01:34 PM
Ugh.

Got really sick on Thursday night. Threw up for about 5 hours straight, generally every half hour, from 9 until 2 am or something. It was absolute hell. I think it was the chicken I got in my salad at Noodles.

So obviously everything is way off in my life right now.

I need to start eating again...

fuzz
12-16-2002, 04:07 PM
Recovery from sickness nearly complete. That was pretty bad. I could barely eat anything all weekend...today I'm near a respectable calorie level. Starting 10's tonight, the 2nd minicycle of HST. I wonder where my strength will be now, after basically not eating for 3 days. Hmm...hope its not down too bad.

fuzz
12-17-2002, 12:47 AM
Suppose I should post this workout from last week. Never got around to it due to the sickness form hell that descended upon my body Thursday night.

This was day 5 of 15's, and also turned out to be my last. I was also pretty tired, just due to general sh!t going on.

Squat
(warmup) 5 x 115, 5 x 135
14 x 150, 5 x 150
- These felt pretty good. I'm at the point where I'm really comfortable with my squat form.

Leg Curl
11.5 x 80
- This weight might've been a bit much.

Dips
14 x 70 assist, 5.5 x 70
- These were kinda tough

PullUps
12.5 x 120 assist

Millie
12 x 65

Skulls
13 x 55

Curls
13 x 50
- Guess I'm hittin some maxes a bit early this cycle. Arms always seem to do that on me, though, cuz I'm usually pretty tired by the time I get to them.

Calf Raise
14.5 x 130

A decent workout. Played a couple games of full court ball afterwards, where both teams I was on got completely slaughtered. Eh. Whatever. Not to mention the ball aggravated my back further. Oh well, the flu gave me some forced rest, I guess.

rookiebldr
12-17-2002, 12:48 AM
At least with the start of the 10's the weights should be low enough to compensate for the sickness. Good luck on the workout.

fuzz
12-17-2002, 12:56 AM
General: Work sucked, I have a lot to do to prep for a class I'm going to teach in January. Lots of stuff to do before Christmas and I need to get off work for my 2nd job Saturday. I may just have to call in or something but I don't wanna be a bitch like that. Cuz bitches get stitches.

There are 3 premium St. Ides 40 oz's sitting in my fridge - I need to get some friends over here and drink them.

Sleep: 6 ish hours

Diet: A couple shakes, a sandwich, not much real food but I got plenty of calories.

Tonight was a good workout. Got in, did my shiz, got out, and didn't feel too badly worked but also felt like I kicked my body into gear again. Felt a little naseau here and there, just some side effects from my sickness that are leaving me.

Squat
10 x 145, 9 x 145
- good sets, all were slightly past parallel or better

Leg Curl
10 x 63, 10 x 63
- this felt really easy

Dips
10 x 100 x 2 assist
- a little burn towards the end, not much

Pull Ups
10 x 140 assist, 10 x 130 assist
- the first set was just too easy, upping weights for this

Millies
10 x 65, 10 x 65

Skulls
10 x 55

Curls
10 x 50

Calf Raise
10 x 130, 10 x 130
- decent burn, not crippling or anything though.

Nice workout. Looking forward to the rest of the tens - I need to watch myself and just avoid overtraining as weights go up.

fuzz
12-17-2002, 12:59 AM
At least with the start of the 10's the weights should be low enough to compensate for the sickness. Good luck on the workout.

Yeah I sure hope so. I'm feeling pretty good now and probably at nearly 90% or so. Though staying up this late (1 am here) probably won't help things.... :zipit: (what the hell is this little guy doing?)

fuzz
12-17-2002, 09:36 AM
Sleep: I've found the solution to my sleep deprivation problem - just sleep in and be late to work!! Works great!! Got about 6 hours or so, and I got a bunch of stuff done last night after my workout.

General: Feel pretty good. Gotto run...

now playing - U2 - B-Sides 1980 - 1990

fuzz
12-17-2002, 10:13 PM
12-17-02 bedttime

diet: Pretty good today, at 240 grams protein, and around 2200 cals. So maybe some cottage cheese before bed and I'm set.

The wife started giving me some problems with what I spend on supplements, which is somewhat worriesome. I buy cheap stuff and try to keep the amount of it down, and its not like I'm buying PH's or something which can cost 40 bucks a bottle. Hope this doesn't become some big thing.

fuzz
12-18-2002, 02:08 PM
Taken last night:
chest: 7
thigh: 18
ab: 27
weight: 207 ish?

One week ago:
chest: 8 mm
thigh: 18 mm
abdominal: 27 mm

The ab skinfold is the hardest to get. I got wild readings from 23 to 30, so I took the average of 4 measurements. Anyways, looks like my not eating over the weekend didn't effect things too much, which is good. I was worried not eating with the flu would burn up some muscle. Anyways, measuring every week is probably just a bit anal. Oh well, it won't hurt to track it and watch the trend in the skin folds. Plus I guess it will help me get practice with the calipers, so I can get more accurate.

fuzz
12-18-2002, 02:17 PM
Here's the 10 rep cycle...some of the maxes may be a bit off, I will adjust as I go:

10 reps 1 2 3 4 5 6
Squat 145 X 165 X 175 180
Deadlift X 145 X 165 X 190
Leg Curl 63 63 75 75 88 100
Dips 110 120 130 130 140 150
Mil Pres 65 65 70 70 75 75
Pull Ups 80 80 90 90 100 110
Triceps 55 55 60 65 65 70
Biceps 50 50 55 60 60 65
Calf 130 140 150 160 170 170

rookiebldr
12-18-2002, 02:39 PM
The ab skinfold is the hardest to get. I got wild readings from 23 to 30, so I took the average of 4 measurements. Anyways, looks like my not eating over the weekend didn't effect things too much, which is good. I was worried not eating with the flu would burn up some muscle. Anyways, measuring every week is probably just a bit anal. Oh well, it won't hurt to track it and watch the trend in the skin folds. Plus I guess it will help me get practice with the calipers, so I can get more accurate.

It can be somewhat helpful to get someone else to do the measurements. Any thoughts on convincing your wife to do the measurements? Then you could also get your back and sides done as well. I get a 7 point test done and I notice quite a bit of fluctuation between one site and another over time. Even though one site may go up, overall with all the sites being included, I may see total numbers go down. I'm using a spreadsheet to calculate the BF% based on various sites that another member here posted. See the following link if you interested: Fart Barker's Body Fat Spreadsheet (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9926&postid=146512)

fuzz
12-19-2002, 08:02 AM

It can be somewhat helpful to get someone else to do the measurements. Any thoughts on convincing your wife to do the measurements? Then you could also get your back and sides done as well. I get a 7 point test done and I notice quite a bit of fluctuation between one site and another over time. Even though one site may go up, overall with all the sites being included, I may see total numbers go down. I'm using a spreadsheet to calculate the BF% based on various sites that another member here posted. See the following link if you interested: Fart Barker's Body Fat Spreadsheet (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9926&postid=146512)

Rookie: Yeah I thought about having my wife help me do it. The thing is I want to be "self-sufficient" enough to be able to do it by myself. My wife works nights so our schedules are in a lot of conflict, and I want to make sure that I can keep a consistent measurement thing going.

Thanks for the spreadsheet link, I've seen that one before and I'm actually using a modified version of it now.

fuzz
12-19-2002, 08:10 AM
sleep: 6 hours - no comment

Going into this workout I felt pretty good. Energetic but not all speedy. Really wanted to stress form with deadlifts to avoid back pain that I've had before.

Deadlift
10 x 145, 8 x 145
- These went well. I tried a wider stance, maybe close to sumo, and focused on pulling "back" instead of just up. My back felt a little tired afterwards, and I was sweating like a fat man after a 40 yard dash, but I felt strong.

Leg Curl
10 x 75, 8 x 75
- Pretty good sets, some burning.

Dips
10 x 90 assist, 10 x 90 assist
- This weight felt easy. I think I'm adapting to this exercise now and can start using more weight.

Pull Ups
10 x 130 assist, 10 x 130 assist
- These got a little tough at the end, think I was using a little more shoulders/tris rather then back. Focus on pulling with the back...

Millies
10 x 65, 9 x 65

Skulls
10 x 60

Curls
10 x 55
- Arms went well, got a decent pump but didn't do a second set to keep from pushing things too much.

Calf Raises
10 x 140, 10 x 140
- Full ROM. Streeeeetch.

Then I went a ran a 7 and a half minute mile, which is a decent pace. Wanted to do cardio but I didn't want to be in the gym forever, so this worked out well. I think I'll either focus on lowering my mile time or doing HIIT for 10 minutes or so. I'm a little worried about the stress on mY CNS from this, so I'll have to watch it.

Overall a good workout, felt pretty worked but energetic afterwards. Finished my workout shake and had some tuna and cottage cheese afterwards. Diet was around 2500 cals or so with 250 grams of protein, so it was right around where I wanted.

fuzz
12-19-2002, 08:12 AM
sleep: 6.5 hours? Been getting to bed earlier but still not early enough, and Leif seems to be waking up earlier still.

sex: no. Dammit.

A little sore in the upper back, the typical deadlift soreness, not much else. I may have to move my Friday WO to Saturday because of my stupid second job. But that will let me see the Two Towers on Saturday, which I am sure will be sweet.

fuzz
12-20-2002, 11:09 AM
sleep: 8 hours...wow, a miracle!

diet: Ordered pizza last night, but I only had 2 slices and actually ended up pretty low on cals...under 200 g protein though, which I don't like.
Today i work my normal 9-5 or whatever at my day job, then have to work 6 - 3:30 am at my second job. I had to pick up a shift to get out of working tomorrow, because I gotta get all sorts of shiz done tomorrow. So today I work like 16 hours or something. No workout, of course, I'm going to try and fit that in tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the Two Towers (yay!), finish Christmas shopping, and hopefully workout somewhere.

My gut is getting smaller and pants are fitting better. Guess something is going right here. My bf might be mid 14's now...

fuzz
12-20-2002, 11:11 AM
Looking at my goals from when this journal started:

12/31/2002 Sub 12% body fat
02/01/2003 Sub 10% body fat, see at least a 4 pack

Guess I was a bit optimistic with that. Lets play mr. chango-matic and modify things a bit...

01/01/2003 14% bodyfat
02/01/2003 12% bodyfat
04/01/2003 10% bodyfat

I'm going to have do some big increases of cardio if I'm going to hit those 12 and 10 goals. Oh well. Word is bond.

fuzz
12-23-2002, 09:59 AM
sleep: 6.5 hrs

diet: for the weekend: bad

Okay. So the weekend sucked as far as diet went. Saturday I was running around all day and went to see Two Towers, and yesterday I worked and slept. No time for work outs in there and I was just generally tired from my 16 hr work day on Friday. Calories weren't too high, though, protein was low which is never good. I missed my friday workout so I'll just have to pick things up today.

Two Towers was fantastic.

Christmas shopping is done (!!!).

Finally feeling somewhat rested...

God I need a haircut. Badly.

I also need to lift things. Heavy things. Its been too long.

kAiXuan
12-24-2002, 05:13 AM
Dips
10 x 100 x 2 assist

you weigh more than 100 right?
these were with weights?
:confused:

fuzz
12-26-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by kAiXuan
Dips
10 x 100 x 2 assist

you weigh more than 100 right?
these were with weights?
:confused:

I use an assisted dip machine - so basically the machine provides 100 lbs of assistance - I weight a little over 200, so essentially I'm dipping with about 100 lbs for 10 or so.
And yeah, I'm pretty weak.

fuzz
12-27-2002, 12:00 AM
Guess I got some catching up to do here. This is Monday's workout. I am the Leader of the New World.

Squat
warmup: 5 x 115, 7 x 135
10 x 160, 5 x 160
- these went really well...I'm really pleased with my squats lately

Leg Curl
10 x 88, 6.5 x 88

Dips
10 x 80 assist, 8 x 80 assist, 5 x 80 assist
- i went and did three sets here, just cuz I want to hit my chest hard

Pull ups
10 x 120 assist, 10 x 120 assist
- these went well

Skulls
10 x 60, 6 x 60

Curls
10 x 60
- these were supposed to be 10 x 55 but I was too lazy to change the plates

Calf raises
10 x 150, 10 x 150
- pretty easy

fuzz
12-27-2002, 12:08 AM
This was a weird workout. I started at 10 pm, its a thursday instead of wednesday (god I hate spelling that word), and I hate all weird the last 2 days cuz of the holidays.

sleep: HAHAHAH maybe 13 hours? i took a vacation day and slept till I was sore

diet: Christmas made things weird, but I really didn't gorge myself or anything so I don't think my cut is too off track.

workout:

Deadlift
warmup 7 x115, 5 x 135 sumo, 5 x 135 convential
10 x 165, 7 x 165
- goddamit. my DL form is all fu!ked up...I dunno what went wrong. I read some articles by Tate on the deadlift form, and I don't deadlift every workout now, and I'm not sure how to pull. Its like I dunno if I should bring my shoulders back more and pull back, or just lift the way I have been, or lift sumo, or what. DL used to be one of my best exercises, now I'm not so sure...

Leg Curl
10 x 88

Dips
10 x 70 assist, 6.5 x 70 assist
- these were okay, I can't wait till my poundage moves up and I don't have to use this stupid machine anymore

Pull Ups
10 x 110 assist, 6.5 x 110 assist
- ditto here

Millies
10 x 75, 7 x 75

Skulls
9 x 65

Curls
7 x 60
- weak on this stuff, which is normal for me when I feel somewhat out of it in general

Calf
10 x 160, 10 x 160

Gym Moron of the Day: Today there were these two guys who were doing spastic leg lifts on the flat bench. The one guy was lifting his legs straight up as high and as fast as possible, with his lower back lifting off the bench. Then he would lower then down really fast, and let them bounce back up from the lowest they could go. It hurt my lower back just watching. He was "training" his buddy, who was complaining about how they hurt his back. Gee I wonder why??

fuzz
12-27-2002, 12:10 AM
god I am so spoiled.

I got so much stuff for Christmas its not even funny. The best part is I got a Rio Sport MP3 player, so now I can lift and rock at the same time. Saturday will be the first hardcore-fueled workout. I think I will listen to Everytime I Die, who are like the best hardcore band ever.

As far as my cut, pants are fitting looser and I just look slimmer. I'm starting to get somewhat of a V shape, too...I think by the time I'm done here I might just feel confident enough to post my before and after pics.

bradley
12-27-2002, 06:30 AM
Sounds like everything is going well. Keep up the good work, and I know the workouts will get more intense with some good music to lift to.

fuzz
12-27-2002, 08:28 AM
thanks for the support, bradley. yeah i'm pretty anxious to get back at it saturday with the mp3 player going...anyone have any recommendations for headphones? something small that will stay on while running/lifting?

fuzz
12-27-2002, 01:06 PM
sleep: about 4 hours, but I feel alright probably cuz I slept so much over the holidays

back report: ouch. my lower back hurts, and its not a good hurt. I'm gonna lay off the deadlifts for the rest of this HST cycle...and just do hyperextensions and maybe pull throughs to build up my back strength. I think I need to work on core strength or just start deadlifting once a week or something.

diet: good, so far...lots of protein today (at least 100 g) and its only 1 pm...could use some more fat...

I got headphones and a case for my Rio sport...so I'm all set with that. Maybe I'll just go in tonight and do some cardio to try it out.

fuzz
12-28-2002, 09:50 AM
ugh. I dunno if I'll be able to lift tonight, my lower back hurts quite a bit. I'll start popping ibuprofen and see what happens. It is better then yesterday, but not by a whole lot. Today is my last day of 10s, so I could probably set some PR's if I could get in the gym without killing my back.

sleep: 6.5 hrs...probably take a nap later today

diet: yesterday was pretty good, around 2600 cals and 240 g protein - maybe a little high in cals...I should get that down some.

fuzz
12-28-2002, 08:27 PM
Okay, a couple of caveats about this. I took this a few hours ago, I'm probably fairly dehydrated because I haven't been eating or drinking much today. And, of course, I'm still learning how to take my own skinfolds...

measurements on 12-28-02
Skinfold measurements:
chest: 7 mm
thigh: 16 mm
abdominal: 24 mm

total of skinfolds: 47 mm

weight: 205
estimated bf: 13.4%
estimated ffbm: 177
estimated fat weight: 27.5

measurements on 12/17/02
chest: 7
thigh: 18
ab: 27

total: 52 mm

weight: 207
estimated bf: 14.9%
estimated fat weight: 31

Wow, if my numbers today are at least close to correct, these last few weeks have been great. Lost over 3 pounds of fat and gained a pound of muscle. I'll probably take another reading in a couple days just to check it out...the timing of tonight's measurement isn't really consistent with the other times. But I have noticed a difference in the mirror and the pants-o-meter.

Huh.

No workout tonight. My back is still pretty tender. I've just been popping EC and running around the house, doing ****. Laundry, baby, dishes, laundry, checkbook, scratch crotch, laundry, WBB.

That is all

Franjipani
12-29-2002, 06:09 AM
I got headphones and a case for my Rio sport...so I'm all set with that. Maybe I'll just go in tonight and do some cardio to try it out.

Hehe, sounds like me when I get a new gym toy;). There is nothing like damn fine music to heighten all your senses and give you that extra workout boost :D.

Ohh and get more sleep !

fuzz
12-29-2002, 11:04 PM
Fran: Yea I was real excited to try the player out, and now its not working. I'm having problems getting it to connect to my pc. :( So I might just return it and get a nike player.

As far as sleep goes, thats a lot easier said then done!

fuzz
12-30-2002, 09:49 AM
sleep: about 7 hrs, pretty poor sleep tho

back: some pain, nothing too major, which is why I went to workout...

workout:

squats
warmup: 8 x 45, 5 x 95, 7 x 135
10 x 175
- took these slow cuz of my back...the 175 set went well though. depth was to below parallel for most.

leg curl
10 x 100

dips
10 x 60 assist

pull ups
10 x 100 assist

calf raises
10 x 170

okay that was the abbreviated HST, because I knew I had 5's comin up...but I decided to do some "recovery work" for my back:

oblique machine
- 10 x 70, 10 x 90 both sides

nautilus ab
10 x 100, 10 x 120

hyperextensions
12 x 45

good mornings
10 x 45
- i never do these...weird

front squat
10 x 65 awkward as hell...

I might have overdone it.

fuzz
12-30-2002, 03:01 PM
sleep: 7 hours
Man did I oversleep today. Not cool.

My workout yesterday hit me pretty hard. I haven't felt DOMS like this since before I started HST. You forget what DOMS is really like during HST because it just doesn't create the soreness you get with a standard split or high intesity program. My hamstrings are killing me today...must be because of the leg curls + hyperextensions. My lower back isn't too bad, better then yesterday.

I think I'll go and do an abbreviated 5 rep workout. Its only the 1st day of 5's so the weights will be low, and if I do 1 set all around I should be alright.

Diet has been pretty good, avoiding the Christmas candy leftovers as best I can.

rookiebldr
12-30-2002, 04:01 PM
Well done on the body fat loss, Fuzz. It's always great to see improvements especially over the holidays where bad food is waved before our eyes every moment of the day. I was hoping just to stay even.

Also, kudos on the DOMS. I don't think I managed really feeling any DOMS during my HST run. My legs would tingle alot from being hit first all the time. But not much in the way of DOMS.

bradley
12-30-2002, 05:14 PM
[BMy hamstrings are killing me today...must be because of the leg curls + hyperextensions. My lower back isn't too bad, better then yesterday.

[/B]

Not to mention the good mornings.

Congrats on the bf loss. ;)

fuzz
12-31-2002, 09:18 AM
Rookie: Thanks a lot! Yeah the holidays were tough, but seeing some improvement in the mirror really gave me incentive to stay disciplined and stick to it. Drinking has also become pretty unattractive to me of late, which eliminates one of my greatest temptations right there.

bradley:Thanks. Yeah the good mornings were interesting - I think its the 1st or 2nd time I've ever done them...not sure if I'll go with those or hyperextensions as my "deadlift assistor" for my cycle now...

bradley
12-31-2002, 05:23 PM
Yeah good morning and deadlifts might be too much when done together but it might be worth trying. Always get a few looks in the gym if I do good AM's.:eek:

fuzz
12-31-2002, 10:41 PM
Well, its about an hour and a half to 2003, and I'm sitting at home by myself writing here. I could be out getting wasted with some friends, or at least being the "sober guy" for friends at the bar...but I'm just here. My new years will probably be spent doing some dishes and picking up around the house. Quite a contrast to the nine hour party marathon I had last year. It was a good time but I don't want to go back to that life.

My life has changed so much in the past year its incredible. I've gotten married. Had a beautiful baby boy. Became a father. Came to realized the huge responsibility of being a father and a husband, and having to consider two other people in decisions and thoughts instead of only yourself. Now I'm starting to understand why my parents and all parents do some of the things they do. The trauma of divorce makes more sense now, and the importance of family is a lot more real to me as well.

Of course, I've grown as a person due to these changes, but what excites me and also scares me is the changes yet to come. More children will be coming, and probably soon...new conflicts, new jobs, new responsibilities. They say the first year of marriage is the hardest, and my one year anniversary is coming up, so I'm hoping everything only gets better from here.

The more I learn about the world the more I grow disillusioned with things. Theres ever growing poverty, the mess in the middle east, nuclear threats everywhere, the environment that everyone wants to save but noone seems to do much about, and the farce that is our government. Its hard to see any hope in any of these things, but then I look at my son and feel some hope in my love for him.

Anyways, I hope everyone has learned from this past year...and hopefully about more important things then what supplements to use or how often to hit the gym. Happy new years everyone.

Miss Rezza
01-01-2003, 05:20 AM
That was such a beautiful post Fuzz! :)

Sounds to me like your wife and son are both very lucky to have a man like you in their lives!

I wish you all the very best for the year ahead! :) :) :)

xray
01-01-2003, 08:53 AM
nice post fuzz! really...

im new to this board, but im following your posts and results with the hst program. you done a great job this far, keep it up :)

gŽluck Žn happy new year!

:cool:

fuzz
01-01-2003, 08:17 PM
Rezza, xray: thanks very much for the kind words. I'm not sure where that last post came from, I was in a weird mood. =).

fuzz
01-01-2003, 09:53 PM
Finally, starting the 5 rep cycle of HST. Its probably the most fun cause the weights get heavy...of course, its also the toughest on the joints and CNS.

sleep: 9 or 10 hours, slept in late for once...

diet: eh..so so...lots of shakes, not much real food

workout:
I felt a bit "off" for this workout...I got up around noon, didnt eat a whole lot and went to workout at 3 with the wife. So it wasn't normal timing or normal diet or anything...my back is feeling a lot better, though. No major pain in the lower part anymore, but still quite a bit of DOMS in my hamstrings.

Squats
warmup: 5 x 135, 3 x 155 rock bottom, nice and slow
5 x 175, 5 x 175, 10 x 135 (burn out set)
- all were very low, done well

Leg Curl
5 x 88, 5 x 88, 7 x 75 (burn)

Dips
5 x 60 assist, 5 x 60 assist, 5 x 60 assist
- trying to hit my chest more, felt like I needed to do 3 sets

Pull Ups
5 x 90 assist, 5 x 90 ast, 5 x 120 ast
- good burn on the light set

Hyperextensions
5 x 45, 5 x 60
- really light headeded after these sets...I think I should use good mornings instead

Millies
5 x 75, 5 x 75

Skulls
5 x 65, 4 x 65

Curls
5 x 60, 5 x 60
- easy

GM
10 x 45
- still working on form

Calf Raises
5 x 170, 5 x 170
- narrow stance

Got 5 pounds of ground beef tonight, I'm gonna make a ton of chili and have that for lunches for awhile. Mmmmm....spicy chili...

Oh yeah, I did some quick measurements tonight for fun...waist is down to 36.5 or 37, chest is up to 41 or 42. I just did em sloppy to see, so they weren't super accurate or anything.

fuzz
01-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Inspirational pic o' the day:

http://digilander.libero.it/mrolympia3/xmg73.jpg

fuzz
01-02-2003, 09:14 AM
sleep: around 5 hours

chili: cooked over 5 lbs of it last night. extra beef. mmmm....

world peace: not yet achieved

my back: little tight, not bad

Now I will eat 3 hard boiled eggs.

fuzz
01-02-2003, 03:11 PM
cardio: About 20 minutes of running today...did a mile in 7:13...which is pretty fast for me. Then did another mile that was a bit slower. About 400 calories or so.

diet: Pretty much spot on today.

I tried to use this oblique machine after my cardio, and my upper body was too sweaty to get a hold and actually use it. That was awesome.

Then I tried side bends and didn't know what the hell I was doing wrong - maybe the weight was too light or my form was off. Time to check exrx.net...

fuzz
01-02-2003, 03:20 PM
Inspirational pic o' the day:

Fred Hatfield squatting over 1000 pounds.

fuzz
01-03-2003, 08:21 PM
sleep: 6.5 hrs or so

diet: good

workout: none, I'm gonna go tomorrow. The wife convinced me to stay home tonight and hang out with her. She is persuasive like that. ;> So I'll go tomorrow when she is at work.

This goddam mp3 player is gonna drive me crazy. It now will connect to my PC and the software sees it, but no songs will transfer. Do NOT buy any Sonic Blue Rio MP3 Player!!@#@!

*kicks door in frustration*

*hurts foot*

*limps away, swearing rabidly*

fuzz
01-04-2003, 11:36 PM
sleep: 6 hrs + about 1 hr nap

diet: okaydokey, more bars then I wouldn've liked by I was busy...

I felt okay once I got going today, which took awhile since I stayed up so late last night while some freinds watched the extended cut of Fellowship of the Ring.

workout:

Squats
warmup: 8 x 135, 3 x 165
5 x 185, 4 x 185, 7 x 135
- I did these a little different...more olympic style - high bar and a more narrow stance. They went alright, but I think I will stick to my traditional stance to finish out the cycle. Don't wanna mess with form and risk any injury in the heavy sets.

There was a decent looking girl next to me squatting 135. She didn't go too low, though. Still, I love it when girls squat good weight. Especially hot ones.

Leg Curls
warmup: 7 x 63
5 x 100, 5 x 100, 4 x 75, 2 x 50
- Good burn at the end with the drops, not to failure.

Good Mornings
seated: 10 x broom, 8 x 45, 8 x 65
standing: 5 x 95, 6 x 95, 10 x 45
- Tried these seated on a bench, but then I realized I had no way to dump the bar if I needed to. Which would've been very bad. So I did the rest standing...think I'll do them that way from now on. I'm not doing these in traditional HST style yet, since I dunno my maxes at all and am not use to the form yet.

Dips
5 x 50 assist

DB Bench
8 x 45, 5 x 45, 7 x 35
- Another new exercise here. I think I'm gonna do this and dips to try and hit chest more. I have no idea what my maxes are, of course....

Pull Ups
5 x 80 assist, 5 x 80 assist, 6 x 110

Millies
5 x 80, 5 x 80, 6 x 65

Skulls
5 x 70, 4 x 70, 12 x 40

Curls
5 x 65, 5 x 65, 6 x 30 (dbs for burnout)

Calf Raise
5 x 180, 5 x 180, 15 x 130
- Ouch.

Decline crunches
15, 10 x 15

Crunch Machine thinger
8 x 100

Good workout overall.

fuzz
01-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Measured tonight...I think it was long enough after my workout that things shouldn't be too far off cause of that.

------------------------------
Skinfold measurements:
chest: 5 mm
thigh: 15 mm
abdominal: 23.5 mm

total: 43.5

weight: 202
estimated bf: 12.4%
estimated ffbm: 177 lbs
estimated fat weight: 25 lbs

measurements on 12-28-02
Skinfold measurements:
chest: 7 mm
thigh: 16 mm
abdominal: 24 mm

total of skinfolds: 47 mm

weight: 205
estimated bf: 13.4%
estimated fat weight: 27.5

Wow. I lost 2.5 lbs of fat in a week? That seems too good to be true. I weighed in at exactly 200 after my shower today, but I'm guessing my true weight is closer to 202 because thats what its been more consistently. I think the main thing is that my skin fold measurements are going down, and I look slimmer in the mirror. I'm really happy with my progress so far, though. HST seems to be perserving if not building strength and muscle as the fat is going...

fuzz
01-04-2003, 11:51 PM
Inspirational Pic Of the Day

The amazing Reg Park. Quite a physique. No GH gut here!

ectx
01-05-2003, 01:19 PM
I can't believe I hadn't read this journal. I'm really enjoying it Fuzz. congrats on your continued BF% loss...and running a 7 min mile at over 200 is nothing to laugh at. Very impressive. As far as MP3 players go, I recommend the iPod...but it's pricey. I use to own a Nike PSA, and aside from it's limited memory I loved it. The sucker got me through a half marathon. If you can still return yours I say give it a try.

fuzz
01-05-2003, 11:04 PM
100 replies to the journal! When is it going to 3 pages?

ectx: thanks for the kind words. I have the mp3 player working, kinda, now...it works on my wife's computer, but won't transfer files on mine. Which still sucks, since all my music is on my cpu and I don't wanna transfer it. There are still some things I want to try and see if it will work before I return it...

diet: Bad. I was on the road today, though, driving to the parents house and back...ate at mcdonalds twice, which is not good, but only one of the times did I eat poorly (choc shake and a quarter pounder). Probably not enough protein, either...oh well, I don't cheat too often and today wasn't too bad.

Saw "Catch Me If You Can", Spielburg's latest tonight. It was pretty good, quite an amazing story and I wonder how much of it is true and how much is fictionalized.

I need to sleep.

fuzz
01-08-2003, 03:48 PM
Jesus.

The boards go down for a day and I find myself checking every half hour to see if they are back up yet. I think I'm getting a bit addicted.

I got my training logs in my notebook at home. I'll update that tonight. Tonight is day 4 of the five rep workouts...I think....pretty soon I'll be into the area where I can start pushing weights up past my "maxes". Wheeeeeeee!@#

I need some coffee.

fuzz
01-09-2003, 08:57 AM
Never got a chance to post this...

Squats
warmup: 6 x 135, 5 x 165
5 x 195, 5 x 195, 12 x 135
- good sets

Leg Curl
5 x 100

Good mornings
5 x 100

Dips
5 x 40 assist

DB Bench
5 x 50

Pull Ups
5 x 70 assist, 8 x 120 assist
- getting tough here...need to work on back strength

Millies
5 x 85, 6 x 65

Skulls
5 x 70, 5 x 70

Then I ran real quick, because I was all fired up and wanted to do a quick mile. I did a mile in under 7 minutes, which is a PR for me. It was hell, though...if I had gone much longer I might've had some problems with puking/passing out afterwards. Had some light bulbs going off in my vision after the mile, and my tongue felt like 100 grit sandpaper. Good times.

First workout with the MP3 player. It gave me a little boost and it was fun to have some hardcore blasting in my ears while I struggled...I think I grunted more because I didn't feel so self conscious about it. Grunting is good. Downtime is bad.

fuzz
01-09-2003, 09:05 AM
sleep: not bad, maybe 7 hours

diet: too many cals (around 3400)...need to get this down

Squat
warmup: 8 x 135, 4 x 185
5 x 205, 4 x 205, 11 x 135
- these felt really good, a little slowdown on the heavy sets but I'm looking forward to two plates

Leg Curl
5 x 110, 3.5 x 110
- these were tough...might be my max...

GMs
wu: 8 x 45, 5 x 85
5 x 105, 12 x 45
- starting to feel more comfortable with these

Dips
5 x 40 assist, 3 x 40 assist

DB Bench
5 x 50, 5 x 50, 5 x 40
- Decent burn

Pull Ups
4 x 70 assist, 7 x 120 assist
- these were really hard...not sure why

Millies
5 x 85

Skulls
5 x 75, 4 x 75

Curls
5 x 70, 18 x 25 DB's (burnout)

Calf Raises
5 x 170, 5 x 170, 7 x 130
- This is the stupid machine at the other gym that is like way harder then the regular one I use...the angles feel all weird and stupid

Decline Crunches
12, 10 x 20 weighted

Side Bends
10 x 50 both sides

Stretch, shower, weighed in almost exactly 200, and gone. In bed by 11:30 (too late), and ate Culvers for dinner (fish sammich and chili...could be worse).

I'm starting to see a dim outline of abs. If I keep my diet good I bet I'll be seeing em in well in a month...

fuzz
01-09-2003, 09:09 AM
Today is a rest day, thank god. Pretty tired.

sleep: 6.5 hrs?

diet: so far so good...need more protein

soreness: not much...a little in back, a little general tightness

My right ear is all clogged up. I hate it. I can't hear anything out of it except ringing....I'm going to the doc at noon to get it unclogged. Its just wax, it seems to happen to me maybe every year at some point and there isn't much I can do about it.

I think I'll be doing a Mon/Wed/Sat schedule for workouts from now on...so that gives me two rest days before my next workout. I'll do some cardio before now and then, though.

Movie buffs - where is this quote from?? --
"If its safe for Benny the dog, its safe for me."

bradley
01-09-2003, 10:15 AM

Minority Report??, could be wrong though

fuzz
01-09-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Minority Report??, could be wrong though

Close...it has the same actor as the movie in question, but it isn't Minority Report.

fuzz
01-10-2003, 09:17 AM
sleep: 6 hrs maybe...

diet: yesterday was okay, too many cals though because we picked up Famous Dave's take out...the ribs and chicken got me

cardio: did 30 mins on an elliptical machine yesterday, supposedly burned 450 cals but it sure didn't feel like it.

Tonight we are supposed to be going out for a freind's birthday, and I don't feel up for it at all. The crowded, smoky bars, the overpriced drinks, all that crap...I'd almost rather stay home and just play scrabble or something.

God did I just say that? I must truly be getting old...I'll be 24 in 12 days, though.

Pretty tired today..I better catch up on sleep this weekend or I will really have some trouble next week.

bradley
01-10-2003, 10:39 AM

Close...it has the same actor as the movie in question, but it isn't Minority Report.

Vanilla Sky...got my wires crossed

bradley
01-10-2003, 10:41 AM
"Tonight we are supposed to be going out for a freind's birthday, and I don't feel up for it at all. The crowded, smoky bars, the overpriced drinks, all that crap...I'd almost rather stay home and just play scrabble or something."

I know exactly what you mean. It's almost too much of a hassle unless you are just in a partying kind of mood.

fuzz
01-10-2003, 12:18 PM

Vanilla Sky...got my wires crossed

DING DING DING DING
WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Bradley you get to pick your prize - one glorious red snapper:

*fitness model waltz out carrying large fish - numerous WBB members ask for pics*

or whats in the box:

*zoom in on box*

What will it be??

fuzz
01-14-2003, 02:21 PM
I'm alive.

I'm in Chicago at training for work.

Probably going to a Bally's tonight to lift (gag). But I got a 2 week thingy off their web site, so I figure its better then the crappy hotel fitness room.

Doing 225 x 5 for squats tonight. Wish me luck..I've never done this kinda weight for 5 reps befo.

fuzz
01-15-2003, 08:13 AM
workout: posting this late and stuff. Not showing warmups.

Squat:
5 x 215, 5 x 215 14 x 135, 275 walkout, 2 x 225
- Personal best. They were kinda hard cause I didn't feel totally warmed up. The extra sets were totally unneccesary, but I wanted to see 2 plates on the bar. Ego got a bit bigger then my brain.

Leg Curl
5 x 112, 5 x 112, 8 x 63

GM's
8 x 65, 4 x 115
- These hurt. So I stopped.

Dips
5 x 30 assist, 5 x 30 assist

DB Bench
5 x 55, 5 x 55, 8 x 35

Pull Ups
4.5 x 70 assist, 8 x 110
- Damn. These sucked. My pull ups are weak.

Millies
5 x 95, 6 x 65

Skulls
5 x 80

Curls
5 x 75, 20 x 25 DB

Calf Raises
5 x 190, 5 x 190, drop set of pain of suffering

Burn. Calves. Help. Me.

Decline Crunches
15 x bw, 10 x 25

Crunch machine
12 x 100, 8 x 120

Side Bends
20 x 60 (10 each side)

Decent ...kinda rushed.

fuzz
01-15-2003, 12:49 PM
This was yesterday's entry, posting today because I haven't had much time to update.

sleep: 6.5 hrs, okay, for a hotel room

diet: pretty good

workout:

Done at a Bally's here in Chicago - so they didn't have all the gear I'm used to. This club pretty much sucks comared to my club at home. Way to crammed together, not enough free weights, and a line for some of the cardio machines.

Squat
warmup: 10 x 135, 5 x 185
5 x 225 (PR) , 4 x 225, 14 x 135
- These went well...there was actually some other guy who looked my age who was squatting nice and deep as well. No belt, no quarter curtsies, just good squats. Actually using a power cage here instead of a squat rack like I have back home, which makes things a bit easier I think.

Leg Curl
5 x 120, 5 x 120, 7 x 70
- Easier then the machine back home, who knows why.

GMs
5 x 115, 8 x 95
- Felt good today, no weird pain in back like last workout

No assisted dip/chin machine, so I can't do those....

DB Bench
0 x 60, 5 x 55, 5 x 55, 7 x 40
- I tried to throw up the 60s and my left arm just kept going back and the weight went to the floor. That sucked. It tweaked my elbow a little, but nothing major. Guess I should've been more careful with that weight. I'll get 60s next time.

Dips
3 x bw, 3 x bw
- This is about all I got for bodyweight. I'm sure it will be coming up...

Not sure what to do for back at this point...

Pulldowns
8 x 90, 3 x 130, 2 x 120
- Not sure what weight to do at all

Seated Row Machine
8 x 60, 5 x 105, 7 x 75
- These were alright

Millies
5 x 100, 5 x 100

Skulls
4 x 90, 5 x 70
- Left elbow hurts, not good, stopping

Curls
5 x 80, 12 x 25 DB's

Calf Raises
5 x 200, 5 x 200, 8 x 120
- Burn.

Cardio: went a ran for about a half hour, burned 450 cals or something. Had a powerbar and a carb drink before that to keep my energy up.

Good workout, overall. Real happy with the 2 plates for squats. Now I'm just going to keep pushing the weight up until I feel the need to end this HST cycle and decondition. Also need to work on getting my calories down, because I think my fat loss has stalled.

fuzz
01-16-2003, 01:06 PM
Tonight I'm getting into the really fun workouts of HST. The "beyond 5 rep" workouts - where you can do negatives or just keep going beyond your projected maxes. I'm going beyond my maxes because there are a lot of exercises where I can't do negatives.

I miss home. I miss the fam. Looking forward to getting out of here tomorrow night.

diet: pretty good, cutting back on calories fairly well

yesterday: did 30 mins of cardio after my class, burned around 500 cals

Kinda sore today in my calves, a little bit in upper body. My calves have been sore pretty much consistently since I've started the burn out sets after my heavy sets.

fuzz
01-18-2003, 08:25 PM
Finally back home...so I can catch up on things now. Here's my last workout from Thursday in Chicago:

Squat
5 x 235, 3 x 225, 8 x 185, 10 x 135
- 235 went real slow, especially the last rep. So I bumped it back down to 225 and got 3 good reps, then just did some burnout sets.
Oh yeah, that 235 set is a PR.

Leg Curl
5 x 130, 5 x 130
eh

GM's
8 x 95, 5 x 120, 5 x 120, 12 x 95
- these hurt more where the bar is on my back then in my lower back...not sure why because squatting doesn't bother me there. I think its cuz of the bending over, which places more stress on the bar into my back.

DB Bench
5 x 60, 5 x 55, 10 x 40
- The 60s were troublesome. It feels like my stabilizers aren't strong enough yet to handle that weight safely. My left elbow and wrist are giving me problems, too, which will hopefully be better by the time SD and 15's are done with my next cycle.

Dips
4 x bw, 3.5 x bw
- It feels good to finally be doing bodyweight on these. It will be nice to be able to do these without my arms shaking the whole time.

Millies
4 x 105, 3.5 x 95
- Shoulders were pretty much done by this point

Supported Rows
5 x 70, 4 x 65, 7 x 45
- Never done these before, so I had to go light and figure out my form. I wish my home gym had a setup for this.

Close Grip Bench
5 x 115, 5 x 115, 8 x 95
- The two EZ curl bars were being monopolized by some curl jockey experts, so I got sick of waiting for those to do skulls and just did this.

Curls (dumbbells)
8 x 35, 10 x 30, 13.5 x 25
- Whatever....

Calf Raises
10 x 135, 5 x 215, 5 x 255, 5 x 220...drop set...
- Legs...hurt....good.

Decline Crunch
20 x bw, 10 x 25

Side Bends
10 x 70 right side, 8 x 70 left
- my left hand has some nasty calluses on it that were not pleased with this.

Okay workout. Not as good as tuesday's, but what can you do?

fuzz
01-18-2003, 11:08 PM
Today is a rest day. I think tomorrow I'll do cardio and Monday I'll get back on schedule.

Diet was decent today, I recovered from a 500 calorie malted milk drink this morning and kept cals decent. I think I'll have a protein drink before bed, though, to get that up to 200 grams.

Pretty sure my fat loss has stalled. I'll know more tomorrow and bust out the calipers, but I either need to increase cardio or decrease calories. Cutting sucks the llama's ass.

I think I might post pics when I'm done with this HST cycle. I know you, gentle reader, are waiting with bated breath.

xray
01-19-2003, 06:56 AM
NICE ..squatting! :D

It would be cool if you could do negatives on the squatting - with some help from a couple of big dudes.. that is :) Would prolly take the kg to the outler limites... !

btw Its sounds as you are ready for SD any minute... ;)

Lookin forward to the pics!!#€!"

xr

MonStar
01-19-2003, 07:08 AM
Good job on the squats fuzz! I am impressed. Keep up the hard work man and continue setting new PBs. Good work.

fuzz
01-19-2003, 01:36 PM
xray: thanks a lot! I would to do negatives but I would have to have two guys I trusted a whole lot - not to mention they would have to be pretty strong. Can't say I can think of any regulars at my gym that I know that well...

Monstar: Thanks man. I'm hoping to get 245 x 5 before I stop this cycle, but thats quite a jump so I dunno...

Today so far has been pretty good. Diet has been on target, and I think I'm gonna go do some cardio soon. Most of my soreness from last week's workouts is pretty much gone. Looking forward to lifting tomorrow...definitely not looking forward to going back to work. Training was a nice break.

fuzz
01-19-2003, 06:00 PM
Did some cardio - elliptical for 15 mins, did some ab stuff...then ran for about 20 mins. Burned maybe 500 or 600 cals? My weight came in at an even 200. Not sure if I'll get to check bodyfat tonight, I have freinds coming over soon and I have to get some stuff done before they get here.

We started feeding Leif (my son) solid food today! Well, not really solid - its rice mixed with milk to the point where its almost complete liquid. But its a start. He doesn't quite understand how to "eat" yet, as opposed to "suck" from the bottle.

Time to do things.

fuzz
01-20-2003, 10:08 AM
Feel pretty good today, despite only getting around 5 or 6 hours of sleep. I will have to make sure and get to bed earlier tonight to make up for it. Diet is going well. Gonna lift the big weights tonight - 245 x 5 for squats will be mine. Oh yes. It will be. HST is working so great for me - I'm setting PR's while cutting and keeping my muscle. I can't wait to start bulking, though.

fuzz
01-21-2003, 05:47 PM
Posted for yesterday...

Squats
warmup: 5 x 135, 4 x 135, 2 x 185
3 x 245 PR, 3 x 245, 8 x 135
- Tried light warmups to save my strength. 245 didn't go for 5, but I got two triples, and thats pretty good for a weight I've never done at all for squats. I'm surprising my self with my strength in this.

Leg Curl
5 x 125, 5 x 125, 8 x 75
- These went pretty well, not too difficult...

GMs
5 x 125 PR, 8 x 95
- 125 was tough, focused on keeping my back tight the entire time and went pretty slow.

Dips
4 x bw, 4 x bw
- Wow. Hard. Five next time? This hits everything in my upper body so hard... its amazing.

DB Bench
5 x 55, 5 x 55
- This is getting easier, which is good - no left elbow pain this time.

Pull Ups
4.5 x 70 assist, 4.5 x 80 assist, 4 x 100 assist
- These felt really hard, the chest work must have hit my arms hard enough to affect these.

Millies
5 x 100 + 6 x 70
- Yep, shoulders are done.

Skulls
3 x 90, 2 x 80
- Using a longer bar then I normally do, which totally threw off the feel of this.

Curls
4 x 80, 10 x 30 (db, 5 each side)

Calf Raises
5 x 210, 5 x 210, 7 x 150

And I got outta there. Not ready to decondition yet...but I know I'm close. Getting a little sniffly here and there, so I'm going to start taking more vitamin C and maybe start echinacea.

fuzz
01-21-2003, 07:02 PM
measured tonight....
----------
Skinfold measurements:
chest: 6 mm
thigh: 13.5 mm
abdominal: 21 mm

total: 40.5

weight: 199
estimated bf: 11.5%
estimated fat weight: 23 lbs

measurements on 1-8-03
chest: 5 mm
thigh: 15 mm
abdominal: 23.5 mm

total: 43.5

weight: 202
estimated bf: 12.4%
estimated ffbm: 177 lbs

Progress continues. Maybe a month more of cutting or so? I'm probably a little higher bodyfat percentage, I've read the slimguides are generally low in their measurements. Who knows. The skinfolds are going down, thats what matters...

fuzz
01-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Diet is on the spot:

2300 cals
41% protein
35 % carbs
24 % fat

Maybe need a bit more omega trees, a tiny bit more cals. Otherwise its been pretty good.

Think I'm gonna get to bed and actually get more then 6 hours.

MonStar
01-21-2003, 09:46 PM
Damn fuzz, impressive numbers! 202 lbs. @ 12% bodyfat. That sounds damn good if you ask me. Keep up the hard work man.

bradley
01-22-2003, 05:41 AM
Sounds like it is going your way. Congrats on the 245.

fuzz
01-27-2003, 02:38 PM
Monstar, bradley: thanks for the encouragement! Its good to get the support...

I do plan on getting some updates here tonight...my diet has been off but I did lift wed. and friday last week. I'm into strategic deconditioning right now, so its at least a week away from lifting. Might do some cardio tonight, though.

fuzz
01-28-2003, 10:57 AM
This was my birthday workout. I'm twenty fo years old.

Squat
wu: 5 x 135, 4 x 185, 2 x 225
4 x 245 PR , 3 x 225, 10 x 135
- Well 245 for 4 was a PR, but I almost don't want to count it. I just felt "off", form wasn't smooth and it wasn't a good set.

Leg Curl
5 x 132, 5 x 75

GMs
7 x 95
- Eh, keeping these light...lower back not good.

Dips
5 x bw PR
- Woot! It was ridiculous in how hard they were, the left side of my chest had a deep ache after these. The 5th rep was very slow and sloppy, but it was good enough.

Pull Ups
3.5 x 70 assist, 6 x 100 assist, 6 x 130 assist
- I don't even wanna talk about these

DB Press
4 x 60

DB Row
5 x 60 for both sides
- Trying to hit my back more

Millies
5 x 105, 3 x 95

Skulls
4 x 70, 7 x 70 press only
- Elbow hurts ALOT. Not good.

Curls
3 x 70, 12 x 27.5 DBs
- arms are fried.

Calf Raises
5 x 215

Decline crunches
20 x bw

Side Bends
10 x 45 for both sides
5 x 70 for both sides

Happy Birthday to me.

fuzz
01-28-2003, 11:00 AM
Squat
wu: 5 x 135, 5 x 185
3 x 225, 1 x 255 PR, 3 x 255, 10 x 135
- 255 took a lot out of me. Could've got more but I didn't want to risk it.

Leg Curl
4 x 138, 6 x 75

Dips
wu: 8 x 80 assist
5 x bw, 2.5 x bw, 10 x 80 assist

Pull Ups
5 x 80 assist, 7 x 120 assist

Millies
5 x 45 DB, 4 x 45 DB
- didn't want to wait for the seated bench, so I used DB's

TBar Row
8 x 75, 5 x 100
- Trying something new, used the 35s to get a good range of motion

DB Curls
10 x 25

EZ Curls
4 x 70

Calf Raises
5 x 220 PR, 5 x 220, 5 X 150
- Hard, but good sets.

And I got out of there. It really is time for SD, now.

fuzz
01-28-2003, 11:05 AM
Last night I went and did some cardio. 20 mins of running HIIT, a little bike, stretched out and left. Weighed in at 201. Late last week I went out to eat a lot and my diet got outta whack, so its time to reign things in and just hunker down with low cals for SD. I want to be able to end this cut soon, hopefully by the 10 rep cycle of my next HST, so I need to really shed some fat here and get to it. Diet yesterday was okay, around 2400 cals but not enough protein. I'm on track today, though. One day at a time...

Might try taking some "after" pics tonight with my camera, if the self-timer thing works well enough. I know I look a lot better then my "pre cycle" pics...just not sure how much.

Tonight I'm just going to hang out with my son and do some household type things. Probably do some cardio tomorrow. The temperature here is over 10 degrees today! Its a heat wave!

fuzz
01-28-2003, 06:54 PM
I got my shipment from netrition today! I was way too excited about that. Got a box of detour bars, a box of metrx food bars, 200 caps of metabolift EC stack, and a 5 lb thing of optimum whey. The detour bars really do taste too good to be true...I will be very interested in the results of the lab tests (see the supplement forum).

Diet real good today...so far I'm under 2000 cals and at about 40% protein.

Gotta get photshop installed so I can get some pictures edited and posted. Soon everyone will learn just how ugly I truly am...

bradley
01-29-2003, 02:49 AM
Man those Detour bars must be something else. I am awaiting the results from 1fast400's test before buying any. If they are up to par then sounds like they will be the best protein bar hands down. Congrats on the squats. Man you will have 3 plates on there in no time:)

fuzz
01-29-2003, 10:38 AM
Yea they taste almost completely like a candy bar. More like a nut roll then a snickers, though.

For squats, I hope to have it to 3 plates after a couple more HST cycle. And I want to get back to deadlifting too, but I just don't know how to work it into my routine without overtraining or hurting my back.

fuzz
01-29-2003, 10:42 AM
sleep: 7 hours

diet: yesterday was ace:
2250 cals | 65 grams fat | 191 grams carbs | 227 grams protein

Tonight I'm gonna do some cardio...though I might take it easy so I actually "decondition" during this break.

Things are actually getting busy for me at work. This sucks, I'm not used to it.

bradley
01-29-2003, 04:52 PM
I don't know if it would work with HST, but what about just alternating squats and deads, or maybe do deads one day a week?

fuzz
01-29-2003, 09:59 PM
At the beginning of my last cycle, I tried alternating squats with deads. That didn't work out - it seemed like I could never get my dead form down and I was still overtraining.

I might try once a week doing some deads, starting light to relearn my form.

I don't know if it would work with HST, but what about just alternating squats and deads, or maybe do deads one day a week?

fuzz
01-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Today I went to the dentist. An old crown I have on a molar is coming off, and thru xrays the dentist says he can see that my nerve is probably infected and abcessing. So I will most likely need either a root canal and restoration of the tooth, or total extraction of the tooth. Tomorrow I go to get the crown off completely and the nerve "excavated" (great word for it), which means he will drill thru my tooth and ****.

God. Dam. It.

Make sure to brush good tonight!! I've got some fun dental work ahead of me....

Franjipani
01-29-2003, 10:08 PM
So I will most likely need either a root canal and restoration of the tooth, or total extraction of the tooth. Tomorrow I go to get the crown off completely and the nerve "excavated"

:omg: Brush like a demon hon...... and good luck.....be strong;).

Ohh and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY for the 22nd Jan....I hope you had a lovely day !!! :angel:

fuzz
01-30-2003, 11:12 AM
sleep: 7 hrs

diet: Yesterday's was good, could've used a bit more protein and less carbs. Cals around 2400.

cardio: Didn't do any last night, I was too tired and unmotivated. If I'm not in too much pain tonight I'll go with the wife.

Today is my day of pain. The worst part is really the needle, when they move it all around inside your gum. After that its all frozen, anyways...of course, then there could be soreness when the novacaine wears off. (*checks drawer for bottle of ibuprofen*)

fran: thanks for the bday wishes. It was an okay day, I didn't do too much....I did go out for dinner at a very nice Italian place with my parents the next day, which was really nice. Especially cause they picked up the bill. =)

fuzz
01-30-2003, 04:32 PM
The dentist wasn't bad at all. Tomorrow I go and get the tooth pulled, then next week sometime I'll get the braces wired up again.

good times.

Need to do some cardio tonight.

galileo
01-30-2003, 04:34 PM
I thought I posted to this journal today. Am I going crazy?

fuzz
01-30-2003, 05:02 PM
yes

I have not seen you post to teh journal.

You are unknown to me.

Actually I read your journal pretty often, its usually interesting

Maybe you forgot to hit "submit"?

Originally posted by galileo
I thought I posted to this journal today. Am I going crazy?

fuzz
01-31-2003, 08:36 AM
sleep: 7 hrs

cardio: none, wife didn't want to go and I wasn't gonna leave her alone on like her only night off.

diet: good, little high in the cals but I felt like I had low blood sugar and so I needed to eat.

MonStar
01-31-2003, 10:10 AM
Happy belated birthday man! Keep up the journal, I dont know how you keep track of your diet like that...

fuzz
01-31-2003, 11:49 AM
Monstar: Thanks. What do you mean about the diet? To the accuracy that I do?

Its all about fitday.com, man.

MonStar
01-31-2003, 02:12 PM
Oh okay man, www.fitday.com is your secret. I used to keep track of my calories, protein, carbs, and fat to the exact # too.

fuzz
01-31-2003, 04:30 PM
Yea I've been using it for so long that it usually takes about 3 minutes a day to enter all my foods, then I'm set. Its nice to be able to watch trends and stuff over time...and just to make sure I'm getting enough protein and what not.

fuzz
01-31-2003, 04:33 PM
I got my tooth removed. Only had novacaine. Man, its crazy how they just go at it. The drill sounds like a power saw, and the pliers they use to pull the roots out make the craziest popping sounds. The whole thing was a bit surreal. So I have a bit thing of guaze in my gap right now till the bleeding stops...I think once that stops I'll go to the gym. Just hope it doesn't pop open during cardio - that would be a bit awkward.

I was able to wear a pair of jeans today that never fit me before. They are a waist size of 36...they are pretty snug but not uncomfortably so.

I think I'm going to take a week long break from my diet, soon, just eat at maintenance and get things back to their regular set points. Leptin and all that. I will probably start slowly increasing calories next week, once I can eat solid foods again. Then by the time I start my next HST cycle, I should be at maintenance or maybe a little over. Do that for a week or two then start cutting back down.

fuzz
02-01-2003, 02:21 PM
sleep: 8 hours or so

cardio: did some HIIT last night, which was hard as hell. Then hit the elliptical for 15 mins. Decent workout.

diet: Yesterday was real good, today is okay too. I can eat solid food now but have to be careful with hot foods. And I can only eat on the left side of my mouth, of course.

I think I'm just going to take it easy today. Go to the in-laws house and watch a movie or something, while they watch Leif. Thinking of starting my next cycle on Wednesday, because I really want to get back to lifting...its hard to stay away.

fuzz
02-01-2003, 09:07 PM
Took it easy today. Watched "the Good Girl" - definitely not the usual Jennifer Aniston fare. Pretty good, actually.

Leif freaked out like an hour ago. Must have a stomach ache. Screaming like crazy.

Calories will be a bit higher today. Drinking some vodka and diet 7up right now, so it won't be too clean. Nothing to bad, though.

bodyfat measurement from earlier today
============================
Skinfold measurements:
thigh: 11.67 mm
abdominal: 20.67 mm

estimated bf: 11%
estimated fat weight: 22 lbs

Lost a bit since last time, not much, which isn't surprising since I haven't had much activity and I'm sure my metabolism is dropping.

I'm guessing I'm gonna have to get to 8% or so to really see my abs. Right now I see a rough outline, and my love handles are finally starting to recede a bit.

Not sure if I should start lifting again Wednesday or Saturday, or just wait till next week Monday and make my SD 2 weeks long. See how I feel, I guess, and how stressful this upcoming week is.

Today's soundtrack:
Casket Lottery - new split EP
Dntel - Lift is Full of Possibilites (stunning album)
Low - Things We Lost in the Fire

bradley
02-02-2003, 04:14 AM
Yeah I watched that movie last weekend and it was not what I was expecting. That younger girl that works with her at the makeup counter after the older lady dies was kind of funny.

199@11% is out great. You have made some outstanding progress.

fuzz
02-02-2003, 01:46 PM
sleep: 6 hrs + 2 hrs

diet: Last night got bad, as I drank some fruity mixed drinks. Today is going good so far, 33/33/33 ratio at this point.

general: Feel pretty good today, despite the debauchery of last night. Probably gonna go do some easy cardio and read.

bradley: Thanks man. Yeah I'm pretty happy with my progress, so far. Looking forward to start putting on more muscle, soon.

fuzz
02-03-2003, 10:58 AM
sleep: 7 hours or so

diet: yesterday I had around 2900 cals, so I'm starting to get that up. Will probably drop it back down in a week or so. Its hard to eat more when I've gotten into the habig of actually eating under maintenance.

cardio: Did some low intensity stuff yesterday. Not going to do anything until I start lifting again, I think the time will be better spent resting.

fuzz
02-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Had a pretty bad case of the fish burps this morning. Ugh....took my fish oil with no food. That was a mistake. So I had a big chocolate chip cookie at Barnes & Noble during my lunch outing. And a huge diet coke. So now I'm really wired. Aaaaaccckkkk...

I wanna lit tonight but I have to wait longer. Must ...follow....HST...time reread the articles on the importance of SD.

The weather here is so dreary. I want it to be warm again. I miss being able to run outside. A nice long 4 mile run would be very good for me right now.

fuzz
02-03-2003, 10:59 PM
Today's macro breakdown:

Total: 3228
Fat: 992
Saturated: 350
Polyunsat: 146
Monounsat: 347
Carbohydrates: 1008
Protein: 922
Alcohol: 183

Had a nice New York strip steak tonight. It was damn good.

fuzz
02-04-2003, 12:24 PM
sleep: About 6 hrs ...ick.

diet: Today is good, so far. Need some more protein. Shooting for about 2900 cals or so.

Gotta figure out what I'm doing for my next cycle, as in exercise selection and stuff. I think I'm gonna start my cycle tomorrow.

Here's my preliminary plan:

Dips (using assist machine till I can do bw)
Pull Ups (ditto)
Seated Military Press
Squats (full, below parallel)
Good Mornings
Leg Curls
Calf Raise
Skullcrushers
Curls

Plus low rep deadlifts once a week, as lower back permits.

Comments? Suggestions? Pointless spam?

bradley
02-04-2003, 04:34 PM
Here is some pointless :spam:

Looks pretty good to me. Yeah I would imagine the lower back gets quite tired especially when you are working in the 5 rep range.

fuzz
02-04-2003, 10:19 PM
bradley: Actually its the 15 rep range that really kills with deads...I find my form slowly degrades to the point where I don't really notice it until my back is sore pretty much continuously. Not that 5's are easy, of course.

diet: Lots of protein today. Got some crazy gas. Guess I'm not used to 3000 cals...I'll probably shift back down to 2500 or so come this weekend.

general: Got some hardcore shopping done tonight. Sams club is the shiz...I love stocking up on things and then not having to worry about it for 3 months.

Gotta get some sleep so I can start the 15s tomorrow.

fuzz
02-05-2003, 10:11 AM
sleep: 6.75 hours

general: Feel alright today. Got an orthodontist appointment, so I have a short day at work. Looking forward to lifting tonight, hopefully I'll have enough time and not be rushed.

soundtrack: Sasha - Global Underground 9
...Trail of Dead - Source Codes and Structures

fuzz
02-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Your mom is here with me as I post this.

HST day 1 of 6 of 15 reps

Dip and pull up weights are actual - I use an assisted dip machine.

Dips
15 x 100

Pull Ups
15 x 60
- Felt a good burn in back.

T-Bar Row
15 x 35, 7 x 35 + 7 x 35 wide

Incline DB
15 x 25
- I have the chest strength of an oompaloompa.

Mil Press
15 x 55

Squat
15 x 125, 10 x 125
- Narrow stance on the first set. Good burn. These are always harder then I think they'll be.

Leg Curl
15 x 62.5

Skulls
15 x 45
- Used the parallel grip bar. I will not do this again.

Curls
15 x 40

Shrugs
15 x 115
- No idea what my maxes are here. This is a complete guess

Calf Raises
15 x 100

Then I ran a mile in 7:30. Decent pace. Was pretty fried after this.

Eating around 3000 cals a day, now. Word. I had a lot of shakes today. Blessed be the whey, for it is good.

I think I'll take half-naked pictures of myself, now.

fuzz
02-05-2003, 10:04 PM
Time to do some before and after pics.

The before's were taken December 6th, as I started HST cycle 3, which was a slow cut cycle. The after's were taken tonight, after the 1st workout of HST cycle 4 and also after about two weeks off. I should've taken pics at the end of my last cycle, but I'm lazy.

Btw, since Dec 6th, I've gone from 210 and 15% or so to 200 and 12% ish.

Here's a most muscular from Dec 6th.

fuzz
02-05-2003, 10:06 PM
Goddam I look goofy as hell in these.

And I needed a haircut.

Before - double bi.

fuzz
02-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Leg shot, before...not a good angle.

fuzz
02-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Before - back.

Its a weak point, I know.

fuzz
02-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Taken tonight. A most muscular pic.

I'm not this tan. I adjusted contrast in photoshop.

fuzz
02-05-2003, 10:11 PM
After - front double bi.

fuzz
02-05-2003, 10:12 PM
After - right bi.

fuzz
02-05-2003, 10:17 PM
After - whole body.

fuzz
02-05-2003, 10:19 PM
After - leg shot.

fuzz
02-05-2003, 10:28 PM
Okay, I've exposed myself to strangers enough for one night. I think I need to get some sleep.

bradley
02-06-2003, 06:33 AM
I can definetely tell that you have leaned out and looks as though you held on to your muscle quite well. Actually might have gained some LBM. I can tell the biggest difference in your legs. Keep up the good work.

Is that your son in the avatar? Like the expression.:)

fuzz
02-06-2003, 07:52 AM
bradley: Thanks for the compliments. Yeah thats my son...lookin cute as always.

Bam Bam
02-06-2003, 01:13 PM
if you uncover you junk youll get more responces from the ladies and mystic eric

fuzz
02-06-2003, 02:38 PM
bam bam: that may be true, but I want to keep something private. =)

sleep: 6.5 Hours - need to work on this.

diet: Good today, so far. Had some tuna, some chile, good stuff.

general: A little soreness overall. Nothing major, which is pretty much just how it should be after the 1st workout.

fuzz
02-07-2003, 09:27 AM
sleep: 6 or 7 hours - not nearly enough with how I'm feeling. The wife was keeping me up with various annoyances. God, if I wasn't so tired I would've have just gone off on her.

diet: Yesterday was fine. Cheated with some Ben & Jerry ice cream but still came in under 3000 cals.

general: I need a new layout for this thing. This one is plain and boring. I also need to get some more sleep. I also need to go lift tonight.

sounds: Tool - aenima

fuzz
02-07-2003, 03:55 PM
Friday, February 7th (update)

- State of being
Almost done with work. Looking forward to lifting tonight. I really need some new music for mp3 player, but I've been too lazy to download stuff to it.

- Diet
Good so far, today. Going to have a pre-workout shake of protein/milk/creatine.

- Soundtrack
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Various Tool albums

bradley
02-07-2003, 04:42 PM
New journal format looming good. Might I suggest some Taproot? I enjoy listening to that while working out or maybe Queens of the Stone Age.

fuzz
02-08-2003, 04:52 PM
I don't really like the way that last entry looked - so I'll have to keep trying to find a better looking format.

I didn't lift last night. Wife and I hung out, went to eat, then drank. Got pretty drunk. Haven't got wasted in a long time. The in-laws had the baby, so we could actually sleep in today. Slept in till 1, ate some lunch, and then got really lazy due to a hangover. Should't went to the gym, but I didn't, and now I can't cuz the in-laws are on the way with Leif.

Oh well...I can go tomorrow morning and get back to it. No big deal, and I really needed some rest anyways. Still have a minor headache, too...

JustinF
02-08-2003, 05:37 PM
Definately a noticable difference in the before and afters. Great progress. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

fuzz
02-08-2003, 11:03 PM
Justin: Thanks man. Hopefully I can keep things going with this next cycle and get to actually see some abs.

Diet: Good, a bit low in calories though. Only had around 2000 so far, I might have a shake before bed. Almost 200 grams of protein, though, so thats pretty much on target.

Planning on getting in a good workout tomorrow, then just going Monday again after work instead of skipping anything. Two days in a row shouldn't be too bad if I keep the volume down.

fuzz
02-09-2003, 10:38 PM
HST Day 2 of 6 of 15 Rep Cycle

Sleep: 5 hours + 3 hours

Diet: Pretty good. Had a couple beers but protein was high.

Went to the gym today around 1:30. Not a normal day or time for a workout, but since I haven't worked out since last Wednesday I knew I had to get in and workout. I'm still going tomorrow for day 3, so I don't get behind schedule.

Dips
15 x 110, 12 x 110
- Good sets, not too difficult.

Pull Ups
15 x 70, 13 x 70
- Felt this in my back alright, working on keeping my elbows stationary and using my back only.

TBar Row
15 x 40, 14 x 40 (wide grip)
- Good sets

Incline DB Press
15 x 30

Military Press
13 x 60
- By this point my shoulders were just done. Thinking of moving this later in the workout so my shoulders have a change to rest.

Squat
15 x 135, 10 x 135
- Good sets, done past parallel and narrow stance.

Leg Curl
15 x 68, 10 x 68

Close Grip Bench
15 x 60, 12 x 60
- Still had some elbow pain with this, but it was much better then skullcrushers. Think I'll stick with this exercise for this cycle. Of course, I have no idea what my maxes are, which isn't too good.

Curls
15 x 45

Calf Raises
15 x 110

Shrugs
15 x 125
- Easy weight.

Deadlifts
5 x 125, 2 x 145 (sumo), 2 x 145 (conv)
- Working on form only. Need to get my shoulders back in conventional, and work on pulling more instead of "squatting" the weight up. Sumo was okay, if a bit unfamiliar.

fuzz
02-10-2003, 09:08 AM
sleep: 6.5 hours or so. Should've got more but life intervened.

general: The wife read a scare report on ephedra in some woman's magazine at work. So now she is freaking out on me about it. I promised her I would bring her some research documenting its safety tonight, so she could see that I'm not going to suffer a heart attack or a stroke.

Frustrating... :(

fuzz
02-10-2003, 08:58 PM
HST Day 3 of 6
15 rep cycle

Notes
- Yes, this is a consecutive day workout. I missed friday last week and went yesterday instead, and just decided to go today instead of changing up my schedule. I tried to reduce the volume some so it wouldn't be too tough.

- Didn't take EC today for the first time in months. Strangely enough, I didn't feel a whole lot different. Of course, I probably made up for it with more coffee and diet soda at work. But no headaches or anything.

- Gonna start dieting again soon, and I'm not looking forward to it. I've enjoyed having some freedom in what I eat, but I do want to continue to cut before I go all out for a bulk.

- Some stiffness throughout everything today, but nothing too bad. I actually feel some soreness in my back, which isn't something I'm used to.

Dips
15 x 120, 7 x 120
- Good sets, I can tell my chest is starting to improve

Pull Ups
15 x 70
- Not bad, same weight as yesterday though.

T-Bar Row
15 x 45, 10 x 45
- Second set done wide grip.

Incline DB
15 x 30
- My delts get really tired towards the end of this. I definitely lack endurance in my shoulders.

Squat
15 x 135
- Nice set. Got really though near the end, where they basically became breathing squats.

Millies
13 x 60
- Delts, chest, everything fried by this point.

Leg Curl
14 x 75
- Good burn

CG Bench
15 x 65
- Still working out form here, not sure how to keep my elbows. Any pointers?

Shrugs
15 x 135
- Grip giving out before anything else.

Calf Raises
15 x 120

Decline Crunch
15 x bw, 8 x 15

Side Bends
8 x 60 both sides

And I was spent. Only took around an hour for this workout, including my 5 minute warmup and some stretching and what not. So I did shorten things up enough.

Grabbed a qdoba burrito on the way home and devoured it in about 2 minutes. My cals are probably still a bit low, if this is considered part of my "refeed" break.

Must sleep soon.

Sleep is teh friend.

fuzz
02-11-2003, 08:29 AM
Rest Day (thank god)

sleep: A little over 7 hours. All things considered, this is about the best I can do for Monday nights. The wife gets home right after 10:30, and I usually hang out with her a little before going to bed. She is always wide awake from work and I'm always dead tired, so it sucks cause she wants to talk and I just want to sleep. So I usually try and stay up a little bit for passing out.

soreness: Strangely, its not bad at all, considereing I did full body workouts two days in a row. Maybe that will get worse over teh day.

diet: Protein drink, met rx bar, some fish oil caps. Typical breakfast, I'll have my standard hard boiled eggs (3) soon.

ramble: Weather totally sucks right now. Cold, blowing snow, windy. I hate it. I can't wait to move out of this area of the country to somewhere warmer. Of course, that won't be for another 2 or 3 years at least, but its nice to dream.

soundtrack: crappy work muzak

fuzz
02-12-2003, 08:18 AM
HST Day 4 of 6
15 rep cycle

sleep: 8 hours!#@$! EIGHT hours! I haven't got that amount of sleep on a work night in ages. Wow. I actually feel...rested....like a normal person, almost.

diet: Little low on cals yesterday, 2400 or so. I'm too lazy to bring up fitday and check. I don't want to drop cals that fast. Oh well, I'll bump it up a bit today for my workout.

rant: My commute home from work is about a 15 minute drive under normal conditions, maybe 25 minutes if there is congestion on the highway. Last night, we had our first real snowstorm here. Now, this is Wisconsin, people should know how to drive in the snow. But my drive took me TWO HOURS last night. I could not believe it.

Guess I should go shopping for the wife for valentine's day, soon. She keeps talking about how I'm going to love what she is getting me, so I should get some nice stuff for her. Probably get some Godiva chocolates, some flowers, and maybe a couple sessions at a massage parlor around here.

xray
02-13-2003, 12:45 AM
hey man,

nice transformation on your cycle-pics, well done!

CG Bench, try keep elbows close to your side to awoid hitting chest

x

JustinF
02-13-2003, 03:36 AM

sleep: 8 hours!#@$! EIGHT hours! I haven't got that amount of sleep on a work night in ages. Wow. I actually feel...rested....like a normal person, almost.

I hear that bro! That's probably my biggest drawback is lack of sleep. Keep up the good work bro!

fuzz
02-15-2003, 05:51 PM
HST Day 4 of 6
15 rep cycle

notes: Energy level very low. Will discuss this more in depth later.

Dips
15 x 130, 10 x 130

Pull Ups
15 x 80, 9 x 80

TBar Rows
15 x 55, 12 x 55
- Still working out form here, keeping weights light.

DB Incline
15 x 35
- Ack. Shoulders fried.

Mil Press
10 x 65
- pfffft

Squat
15 x 145, 7 x 145
- Maybe a PR, too lazy to check

Leg Curl
14.5 x 88

CG Bench
15 x 70, 15 x 70
- Easy.

Curls
15 x 50
- Sloppy form at end.

Shrugs
15 x 145

Sumo Deads
2 x 145, 4 x 165
- Easy, but form still off somewhat.

Calf Raises
15 x 130, 11 x 130

fuzz
02-15-2003, 09:37 PM
HST Day 5 of 6
15 Rep Cycle

Sleep: ALOT...maybe 11 hours. It was nice.

Diet: Not too good.

Notes:
1. Energy a bit better today.

2. Abbreviating my routine to try and alleviate any overtraining I might be experiencing right now. Dropping direct arm work (no curls, no tris), and dropping shrugs. I don't think I'll miss either much, my arms get hit enough with all the upper body work I do and my traps grow easily when I deadlift, so I'm not too worried about them.

Dips
15 x 130, 10 x 130

Pull Ups
15 x 90, 7 x 90 + 4 x 90 parallel grip

TBar Row
15 x 60
- Tough set, near max for 15 reps possibly.

Incline DB
15 x 35
- a lot better then Wednesday's set.

Squat
13 x 155 PR, 10 x 155
- Decent PR, I coulda got 15 if I had really wanted to grind em out, but I figure I can wait till Monday for that.

Leg Curls
11 x 90, 9 x 90

Calf Raises
15 x 140, 12 x 140

Decline Crunches
15 x bw, 10 x 10

Side Bends
10 x 60 both sides

fuzz
02-15-2003, 09:41 PM
So...lately I've had some problems. It seemed like starting earlier this last week, I just had NO energy at all. As the week dragged on everything became much harder to do, just things going up and down stairs at work seemed very difficult. My diet has not been the best, and my routine doesn't seem like it would have too much volume, so I dunno what it is.

I did stop EC cold turkey just this last Monday, but I thought my normal high caffiene intake would help ride that out. Maybe this is just a normal drop in energy as my body adjusts to not having the ephedra in my system all the time. Today was better, I got a ton of sleep and my workout felt decent. Last Wednesday's workout was just hell, I had no energy whatsoever. Soooo...I'm hoping this is a combination of the lack of good sleep/diet, and the quitting of EC, and hopefully things will be better next week in the 10s.

If things don't improve, I might have to adjust my routine further to cut down volume...or just take a break for a few days. And I really don't want to have to do that.

fuzz
02-15-2003, 10:01 PM
Measured tonight, with teh fear. My diet has been bad and I stopped EC a week ago...
===========================
Skinfold measurements:
chest: 6.667 mm
thigh: 14.3333 mm
abdominal: 22.6667 mm

total: 43.6666

weight: 202 (?? not sure)
estimated bf: 12.5%

measurements on 2-1-03
thigh: 11.67 mm
abdominal: 20.67 mm

estimated bf: 11%
estimated fat weight: 22 lbs

So to sum up, I've gained 3 pounds of fat in two weeks? Huh. Well, I'm just tracking trends, and I expected things to trend badly during this period. I took a break from my diet, had SD, stopped EC, etc...

Now its just a matter of getting my diet back on track and eating smart again. The ten rep cycle is coming up, which means hell (ie 15's) are almost done and hopefully my energy will start coming up.

fuzz
02-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Diet: So far, so good....Cals are low and stuff. Gotta boil some eggs up for this week and maybe make some tuna salad for tomorrow, too.

Cardio: Did a quick run at the gym today, burned around 350 cals or something. Didn't have time for anything else.

General: Energy level at about a 7...so I feel alright. Gotta go do some laundry and try and be productive.

fuzz
02-16-2003, 10:33 PM
I just ate a cup of cottage cheese.

Sorting and folding socks is a horrible task. When I'm rich the first thing I'll do is hire a full-time sock folder/sorter person.

That is all.

Addendum: wife is shaving legs. Perhaps tonight will be a night of sex. Perhaps.

fuzz
02-17-2003, 09:53 PM
HST Day 6 of 6
15 Rep Cycle

Sleep: 6 hours of broke ass sleep. It sucked.

Diet: Pretty good. Maybe 2800 cals. Need more fat, though.

General: Need more sleep. Duh.

Notes:
1. Last day of 15s. Thank goodness.

2. Energy level decent pre-WO, despite sleep level.

3. Thinking of maybe trying to hit 7% bodyfat by summer. I gotta work out just how much fat I have to lose and just how long it will take.

4. Weighed in at 198.

Dips
15 x 140 PR, 6.5 x 140
- A PR, but its no big deal since I'm still a newbie to this exercise, really. Still, I'm hoping to get 6 or 7 BW dips by the time I get to that point in my cycle.

Pull Ups
13.5 x 90
- A hard exercise for me.

TBar Rows
13 x 65, 9 x 65

Incline DB
12 x 40

Mil Press
10 x 65, 7 x 65
- gah. I knew these would be hard.

Squat
15 x 155 PR, 5 x 155
- These were not easy. The last rep was near failure. I think my previous best for high reps is 14 x 150.

Leg Curl
13.5 x 100, 7.5 x 100

Calf Raises
15 x 150, 12.5 x 150
- Probably a PR, big deal though, I know I could do more for this.

Decline Crunches
15 x BW, 7 x 15

Hyperext
8 x 10, 6 x 35

Good workout. Got a shower and got out of there.

Coke
02-18-2003, 08:16 AM
Hi Fuzz, Good luck with your plans :)

fuzz
02-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Rest Day

Cocoa: Thanks. Stop in here anytime! Haven't had many visitors lately, its getting a bit quiet.

Sleep: 7.5 hours. Good deal.

Diet: Not bad, should have some vegetables today, though, I haven't had enough at all lately.

Soreness: A little stiffness in my back and legs, not too bad though.

General:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-orioles-bechlerdead&prov=ap&type=lgns

Its too bad about this (see the link, re: Oriole pitcher Bechler dying from heatstroke). I can imagine the uproar over ephedra if the media can put any guilt on it. Its going to be just another reason for the mindless FDA to ban it, even though the guy was overweight and out in hot weather and dehydrated. Anyone that is taking an EC stack and exercising outside should know to take precautions to stay hydrated. Pretty soon I think just about every useful supplement will be banned.

bradley
02-18-2003, 11:33 AM
How's it going Fuzz. Been lurking around your journal. Still reading though. Oh yeah, sleep more;)

fuzz
02-18-2003, 09:55 PM
Bradley: Not doing too bad. Pretty tired, what a surprise, eh? Think I'm going to head to bed right now, actually.

Been reading some posts at the hardgainer roundtable (http://www.hardgainer.com) lately - anyone follow that forum, at all? Interesting group...too dogmatic and old fashioned for me, but lots of good, practical knowledge.

fuzz
02-19-2003, 01:52 PM
HST Cycle Four - Day 15
Day 1 of 6 of 10 rep cycle

sleep: 7 solid hours or so.

diet: Today, pretty good. Yesterday was excellent - cals were at 2300, decent macro breakdown.

general: Feeling good. Lotsa energy, hopefully that isn't just from all the caffiene I've had today. I'm really glad to be starting the 10 rep cycle, 15s were getting really annoying.

Probably going to buy some Lipoderm to use for my cutting when I get a bit leaner. These love handles have got to go.

I need a haircut so I can get a decent picture for the WBB yearbook. Gotta be pretty for the internet.

fuzz
02-19-2003, 09:20 PM
HST Cycle Four - Day 15
Day 1 of 6 of 10 rep cycle

Notes:
1. Decided to do some deads today. Feeling pretty good, lots of energy, so decided tonight would be a good night.

Dips
10 x 120, 7 x 120
- Pretty easy.

Pull Ups
10 x 80

TBar Rows
10 x 50, 10 x 50 wide grip supinated
- Easy. Gonna jump up in weight here more...

Incline DB
10 x 30, 10 x 30

Military Press
10 x 55

Squat
10 x 140
- Easy set, foot placement slightly wider then shoulder width. Little bit of pain in my left knee which worries me.

Deadlifts
3 x 135, 3 x 185, 2 x 225, 1 x 250, 1 x 280, 1 x 290 PR, 0 x 300
- So, this might be the 3rd time I've tried doing deads with sumo stance. Felt a bit different. I'm pretty pleased with 290, considering how many sets I did here. I think my previous max was 235 convential, but I don't remember. On the 300 attempt, it didn't budge and I didn't feel like hurting myself trying to force it.

Calf Raise
10 x 130, 10 x 130

Decline Crunch
10 x BW, 9 x 15

Side Bends
10 x 65 both sides

Good times.

bradley
02-20-2003, 06:01 AM
Nice work on the deads fuzz:thumbup: Which way do you prefer, sumo or conventional?

fuzz
02-21-2003, 10:08 AM
Rest Day

bradley: Thanks man. I think I'm going to go with sumo from now on. It seems like my body is just much better suited for it. I'm 6'2" with long arms and it seems like I can't pull convential without lower back problems. I plan on getting 3 plates in a couple weeks.

sleep: 7 hours of poor sleep. Too much caffeine before bed since I was driving home late last night and had to stay awake.

diet: Yesterady wasn't too good. Over 3000 cals, ate out for lunch, etc....have to get back on track today.

soreness: Really sore in hammies and back of my legs - I really feel those heavy deads.

general: Coming down with a cold. Dammit. Time to start the echinachea/vitamin c/coldeez stack.

MonStar
02-21-2003, 10:10 AM
Nice job on 290 fuzz!! :thumbup::thumbup:

fuzz
02-24-2003, 08:46 AM
HST Cycle Four - Day 20
Day 2 of 6 of 10 rep cycle

Monstar: Thanks a lot. Not a whole lot of weight compared to a lot of people here, but it was a decent jump for me.

sleep: 7 Hours.

weekend: Man, weekend was bad. diet was off, felt sick with this cold, felt tired. Didn't go to the gym on Saturday, which is when I should've done day 2 for this cycle, but I was just too tired.

Need to get back on track this week.

fuzz
02-24-2003, 09:05 PM
HST Cycle Four - Day 20 cont...

Notes:
1. Finally back in the gym. Felt good going in, energy level around a 7.

2. My cold seems to be improving. Hopefully it will be gone by mid-week.

3. Overall, I felt pretty strong. I think the day off and the "refeed" over the weekend was pretty helpful.

Dips
10 x 130, 6 x 130
- Decent sets.

Pull Ups
10 x 90

TBar Row
10 x 60, 9 x 60

Incline DB
10 x 35

Millies
10 x 60
- Easy. Which is good. Maybe all my trouble with these in the last couple of weeks was just overuse.

Squat
10 x 150, 9 x 150
- Went wide stance, but not too wide. Need to work on keeping my core tight, it got a bit sloppy there in some of these sets.

Leg Curl
10 x 75, 9 x 75

Calf Raises
10 x 140, 10 x 140

Nautilus Ab machine
10 x 100, 8 x 120
- This machine sucks

Decline Crunch
5 x BW
- Back hurts a little, stopped set early.

fuzz
02-25-2003, 08:51 AM
HST Day 21
Rest/Cardio Day

sleep: 7 hours, woke up a couple times in the middle of the night.

yesterday's diet: Very good. 2400 cals, with 38% from protein, 37% from carbs, and the rest from fat. Even had some cod liver oil...which nearly made me sick during my workout.

soreness: Some lower back pain, shoulda kept my core tighter during squats yesterday. Not too bad. Light stiffness overall.

Its time to get down to business. I need to finish this cut so I can get back to bulking. So I'm going to be doing cardio at least two times a week in addition to the HST workouts. Also, I should be getting some Lipoderm with a shipment from 1fast400 which should help with the love handles. By the time my next HST cycle starts I want to get back on the road with bulking.

fuzz
02-25-2003, 09:50 PM
HST Day 21 (cont)

cardio: Did 30 minutes on the elliptical machine, burned 450 cals. Stretched out for awhile, showered, done.

diet: Very good. 2700 cals, almost completely 33/33/33 breakdown.

general: Got my supp order from 1fast400 today. Lipoderm is calling to me, but I think I'll wait a week or two before trying it. Want to get a bit leaner, first. Still got EC to throw in the mix, also, when I start to plateau.

Weighed in at 196 tonight before working out, which seemed unusually light. Might've been mostly water weight.

So far, so good...should be on my way to 8%. Still a ways off, but I know I'll do this. Should be on track for at least a pound a week if I keep up with the cardio.

carolinagirl
02-25-2003, 10:19 PM
Got my supp order from 1fast400 today. Lipoderm is calling to me, but I think I'll wait a week or two before trying it.

Now that's what I call willpower. I'm not ordering mine until I'm ready to start it b/c I know I won't be able to wait!

Is it the Ultra-lipo or the original? I think the Ultra is out or should be out anytime now...

bradley
02-26-2003, 03:06 AM
Keep up the hard work fuzz. I am with carolinagirl, once I get a supp in the mail I am ready to try it out. Sounds like the cut should be completed soon. Keep us updated on how the Lipoderm works.

fuzz
02-26-2003, 06:55 AM
Heh, yeah I just want to make sure I don't waste it. At $45 a bottle, I want to make sure I'm making the most out of it.

I ordered the original, the Lipoderm-Y. From what I've read on avant forums, Ultra should be out within a month or two.

Originally posted by carolinagirl

Now that's what I call willpower. I'm not ordering mine until I'm ready to start it b/c I know I won't be able to wait!

Is it the Ultra-lipo or the original? I think the Ultra is out or should be out anytime now...

fuzz
02-26-2003, 06:58 AM
HST Day 22
Day 3 of 6 - 10 rep cycle

bradley: Thanks for the encouragement. I'll make sure to keep ya updated once I start using the Lipo.

sleep: Six hours, needed to get up early today.

general: Feel okay today, though I'm still waking up here. More coffee must be consumed. My hands are in ultra-dry winter state, where my knuckles are cracked and bleeding from how dry they get. This happens every winter at some point, and it doesn't matter how much lotion I apply during the day.

California would be nice right now. I want to move.

fuzz
02-26-2003, 07:45 PM
HST Day 22 (con't.)

Notes:
1. Was a bit worried about squats comin in to this wo tonight. Lower back has been giving me trouble, and I don't want to make things worse. So I decided to proceed with caution, giving extra attention to keeping my core tight. In retrospect, I should've been more cautious...

2. Diet was fine, a bit tired today and starting to feel hungrier throughout the day.

3. Had some ghettoade during workout - water + maltodextrin + creatine + 1 tbsp whey + some gatorade for flavor. I should make this a regular thing.

Dips
10 x 130, 6 x 130
- Was supposed to use 140 for this, but I was lookin at the wrong thing in my notebook. Oops...oh well.

Pull Ups
10 x 100, 5 x 100

TBar Row
10 x 70, 8 x 70 (wide)
- I wish my gym had a supported row station. I'm sure this can't help my back problems.

DB Incline
10 x 35, 8 x 35
- Happy with this, can go up to 40s w/o problem now.

Mil Press
10 x 65, 8 x 65

Squats
10 x 160
- Focused on keeping core tight, went with a slightly wide stance. The set was good, form was tight. But it didn't matter, my lower back still ached after this and its apparent now that I should've just skipped squats and given my back a chance to rest. I'll have to play it by ear Saturday, see how things go. Might try and get in to see a chiro tomorrow or friday.

Leg Curl
10 x 87.5, 5.5 x 87.5

Calf Raise
10 x 155, 10 x 155

Decline Crunch
15 x bw, 10 x 10

Pretty tired after all this. I think I will cut the volume for Saturday...do less double sets.

fuzz
02-27-2003, 11:09 AM
HST Day 23
Rest Day

sleep: 6.5 hours. Hopefully tonight will be better, I don't have to get up early tomorrow for work so I'll "sleep in" till 7.

Yesterday's diet: Good, but a bit high in the calories. So I'm going to try and make up for it today and keep cals around 2200. I'm really downing the fish oil caps lately (14 yesterday) because I've been reading about how beneficial they are, effecting everything from repartitioning to heart health to fat use.

ramble: The wife and I are going out with our realtors today to start looking at houses. By May or so I think we will be in a house. At least that is the plan! I'm pretty excited, I've lived in apartments long enough.

So I probably won't have time for cardio, maybe later tonight but I doubt it.

Back is okay. May take some ibuprofen to try and decrease inflammation. I've felt a lot worse, though.

bradley
02-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Do you eat much salmon fuzz? It's a nice way to get your omega 3's in along with some good protein. Mighty tasty as well, at least IMO. Hope the back gets to feeling better.

fuzz
02-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Yeah I eat salmon as much as possible, I order a lot when I eat out. Unfortunately, I'm too busy and too lazy most of the time to cook it at home. Thats why I'm downing tons of fish oil caps - just more convienant.

Do you eat much salmon fuzz? It's a nice way to get your omega 3's in along with some good protein. Mighty tasty as well, at least IMO. Hope the back gets to feeling better.

bradley
02-28-2003, 05:05 PM
Yeah I know what you mean. If you have access to a Sam's Wholesale Club you can pick up individually frozen salmon dilets int the frozen food section. They come in like 6oz servings and are relatively cheap. Think like $8 or $9 for about 8 servings. Something like that.

SWOLE
02-28-2003, 10:06 PM
How is all of the HST stuff workin for ya???
Are those dips plus your bodyweight??? like adding 130 pounds??

fuzz
03-01-2003, 02:19 PM
HST Day 25
Day 4 of 6 - 10 rep cycle

REFEED DAY

Essentially, today is the day I get to eat as many carbs as I can to up my metabolism and leptin levels. So in my house right now we have four boxes of sugar cereals, Ben & Jerry's low fat Chocolate Chunk Brownie Frozen Yogurt, and various other goodies. Probably gonna have a big plate of spaghetti, which I haven't had in ages since normally carbs are evil. Just have to keep fat very low, and I'll be fine.

Diet: So far today, about 200 grams of carbs, 30 grams of protein, and maybe 5 grams of fat. Fun!

Swole: HST is working out great for me, so far. The dip weight is done with an assisted dip machine, so its the "true" weight I dip - ie 130 x 10 equals my bodyweight minus 70 lbs for 10 reps.

Bradley: Yeah I think I have some of the frozen fish from Sam's in my freezer...its just a matter of having time to cook it, ya know. :)

fuzz
03-03-2003, 08:59 AM
HST Day 27
Day 5 of 6 - 10 rep cycle

Rambles: Well, I did workout on Saturday, I just gotta get the workout posted up on here. It went alright, skipped squats and did deads instead.

Cold is slowly going away, I think...my lack of sleep and the shady diet this last weekend has not helped. My refeed turned into a longer cheat type thing, but it didn't get too out of control. Lots of Count Chocula, Jelly Beans, and Snackwells.

Sleep: Six and a half hours or so. Shooting for a solid eight tonight.

Diet: Today I need to get it back on track.

Goal for this week: Keep cals under 2500 (except Wednesday, when I'll have a carb refeed at night).

fuzz
03-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Posting this after the fact.

Dips
10 x 140, 7 x 140

Pull Ups
10 x 100, 7 x 100

TBar
10 x 80, 6 x 80

DB Incline
10 x 40, 6 x 40

Millies
10 x 70, 7 x 70

Sumo Deads
3 x 135, 2 x 185, 1 x 275, 1 x 295
- I threw on three plates, thought about it, and decided against trying it. My back was in rough shape and 295 was shaky enough as it was. Just wasn't worth the risk.

Leg Press
10 x 340, 8 x 340
- In place of squats

Leg Curl
10 x 100

Calf Raises
10 x 160

fuzz
03-03-2003, 11:00 PM
HST Day 27 (continued)
Notes
1. Energy level okay, maybe a 5 out of 10.

2. Diet was pretty good today, should be under 2500 cals.

3. Need more quality food, going shopping tonight.

4. Worked out at east side gym, different machines and what not.

Dips
10 x 150
- Good set, felt strong.

Pull Ups
10 x 110

TBar Row
10 x 90, 6 x 90 (wide)

DB Incline
10 x 45

Millies
10 x 75

Squats
4 x 135, 3 x 155, 9 x 170
- Good set, kept form tight.

Leg Curl
7.5 x 100, 5.5 x 100
- Weak due to the different machine.

Calf Raises
9 x 170, 10 x 135 (seated)
- Feh.

Decline Crunches
17 x bw, 7 x 12

Cardio
Did elliptical for 13 mins, then ran a mile. Burned maybe 300 cals or so. Totally done.

fuzz
03-04-2003, 08:50 AM
HST Day 28
Rest Day

Sleep: Six hours. I know. Bad.

Diet: Yesterday was good, 2500 cals but a little low on protein. Today will be spot on.

Soreness: Slight stiffness all over. Lower back hurting pretty good. Got a chiro appointment in about an hour, hopefully something good can come out of that.

Ramble: Leif had his first day in day care today. Its a little strange dropping off your child to a the care of a stranger. This will give the wife a much needed break, though, so I think it will be good in the long run.

I really planned on getting more sleep last night, but life intervened. I don't really have plans for tonight, just going to work on some bills and hang out with Leif. So I should be in bed at a good hour.

np: Radiohead - The Bends

fuzz
03-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Cutting Progress report
3-4-03
Skinfold measurements:
thigh: 14.67 mm
abdominal: 22.34 mm

total: 43

weight: 196
estimated bf: 12.35%
estimated ffbm: 172
estimated fat weight: 24 lbs

measurements on 2-15-03
chest: 6.667 mm
thigh: 14.3333 mm
abdominal: 22.6667 mm

total: 43.6666

weight: 202 (?? not sure)
estimated bf: 12.5%

Well, kinda disappointing. My refeed this last weekend was sort of a learning experience, so its not surprising that there would be some spillover. The lack of EC seems to have quite a major effect. Or it might be that I've just stalled for a bit, and I need to keep on.

np: Modest Mouse - Live at the Shoebox

MonStar
03-04-2003, 11:34 PM
HST seems to be working pretty well for you fuzz, keep it up. HST worked extremely well for me in terms of fat-loss. Haha, you gotta be careful with those damn refeeds. Its so easy to go overboard.

fuzz
03-05-2003, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the support Mike. Yeah, it seems to be working pretty well, I just want it to work faster. :) But thats what we all want, of course. Just need some patience I guess.

Originally posted by MonStar
HST seems to be working pretty well for you fuzz, keep it up. HST worked extremely well for me in terms of fat-loss. Haha, you gotta be careful with those damn refeeds. Its so easy to go overboard.

fuzz
03-05-2003, 09:35 AM
HST Day 29
Day 6 of 6 - Ten rep cycle

sleep: Eight hours, woken up around 2 am when the wife came home, though.

diet: Yesterday was good, 2200 cals or so...a little low in protein but I was too tired for the usual cotchee before bed. Tonight I'm going to do a minor refeed around my workout, probably just have a malto shake or something.

general: Feel pretty good today. Back isn't as bad. I think the chiro yesterday helped. I'm going back Friday for more adjustments.

Used Lipoderm-Y today for the first time. I applied about 5 squirts to my abs and love handles. It tingled for at least a couple hours after I applied it, so something was happening. I'm going to stick with just the Lipo for awhile, then possibly add EC depending on how things are going.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-05-2003, 10:09 AM
Yo.

Yours calories are definately in deficit, right?

I'm guessing you don't have the lower chest stubborn bodyfat that i have.

fuzz
03-05-2003, 10:12 AM
Yep. Generally 400 - 1000 cals in deficit, depending on stuff.

My stubborn fat is the typical male fat distribution - love handles, abs, and lower back. No problem with chest fat, though I've read a lot of positive feedback on guys with that at avant's page.

ectx
03-05-2003, 10:38 AM
What's lipoderm Y, Fuzz? I'm not familiar with it.

fuzz
03-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Its a topical fat loss product. The active ingredient is Yohimbe...check out
http://www.mindandmuscle.net/product_info.php?productID=10
and check teh Q&A and the feedback.

Also, for indepth background into the science:
http://magazine.mindandmuscle.net/page.php?pageID=15&issueID=3

It basically spot reduces. And, from the feedback I've read, it works. From my limited understanding, the Yohimbe is transported to the fat cells (but not beyond, as that would make it systematic and not topical) and downregulates alpha 2 receptors - which in turn increases release of norepinephrine, which increases fat loss in the area of application.

Originally posted by ectx
What's lipoderm Y, Fuzz? I'm not familiar with it.

fuzz
03-07-2003, 09:02 AM
HST Day 31
Rest Day

sleep: Seven Hours.

diet: Yesterday was okay, cals were on target but I didn't eat too healthy.

ramble: My workout Wed. night sucked. It was horrible. Tired, unmotivated, didn't squat cuz my backed hurt. I'll post it tonight, I guess...I hope my back is good enough tomorrow to squat.

The Lipoderm appears to be working already. Looking a bit leaner in the abs. I think tonight I should really go do some cardio, but we are looking at houses and I'm not sure how late that will go.

ectx
03-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the links fuzz.

fuzz
03-10-2003, 01:56 AM
I've been sick. Throwing up on Saturday, other stomach problems still persisting. My son is sick too, only he is taking longer to get better, of course.

I can't sleep now, its 3 am. Guess I'm calling in sick today.

This sucks.

ryan1117
03-10-2003, 11:42 AM
I've been sick. Throwing up on Saturday, other stomach problems still persisting. My son is sick too, only he is taking longer to get better, of course.

I can't sleep now, its 3 am. Guess I'm calling in sick today.

This sucks.
I hope everything gets better soon.

fuzz
03-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Recovery continues...

So, I'm continuing to recover from this damn virus. My stomach is almost back to normal, but so far I haven't had a normal, "ahem", movement....I also haven't been eating much. Weighed myself at 190 (!!!) yesterday, I hope that I didn't lose too much LBM. Its been hard as hell to eat much of anything lately. Tomorrow I'll go back to work and try and get back on track with eating.

Then I guess I'll hit the gym again Monday, although I'm not sure now if I should start the 5 rep cycle or just start over with a new cycle.

In other news, though, we probably found a house! We accepted a counter-offer today and if that goes through alright we can start packing this weekend. Its a nice place, maybe 5 mins from my work. I can't wait to move in....

ryan: Thanks for the support...

bradley
03-13-2003, 02:49 AM
Glad to hear that you are feeling a little better fuzz. Might want to think about starting a new cycle because lifting that heavy after being sick might not be such a good idea, and you will also be able to get back in the groove if you start with the 15's.

How's the youngin' doing? Hope he has gotten over the virus as well. Good luck with the house:)

fuzz
03-13-2003, 09:54 AM
Recovery almost done

sleep: Six hours, but I slept late yesterday and feel good today.

diet: Finally eating like normal today, again. Shooting for maintenence since I've been eating like 500 cals a day while sick.

ramble: Workout plans are up in the air. I think I'm going to start a new cycle, because I know my conditioning and strength and everything will be completely off if I try and continue my cycle.

bradley: Yeah I think thats a good idea. I've basically gotta start from scratch, now, and decide what kind of cycle I wanna do and if I should keep dieting. Maybe my body is telling me to start eating more with the sickness. My son is doing a lot better, too, thanks.

ectx
03-13-2003, 10:06 AM
Good to see you're feeling better. Viruses suck. At least with bacteria you can take an antibiotic and you're done.

Coke
03-14-2003, 09:56 AM
Fuzz, you will be alright. I just had the virus too and now I am like it never even existed :) You will be back better than ever now, stay cool man :cool:

fuzz
03-14-2003, 10:05 AM
Health = Almost 99%!

ramble: My stomach still aches a bit, but I feel nearly normal! Its nice to be able to eat food again...I actually had almost 3000 cals yesterday.

sleep: Six hours or so.

diet: Good.

plans: I'm thinking of doing HST 6 days a week. Short workouts everyday at lunch time, maybe 4 or 5 exercises max. Preliminary idea:

workout A
squat
leg curl
calf raises
millies
curls

workout B
dips
chins
DB row
DB press

These two workouts would be alternated everyday, Monday thru Saturday. Volume would have to be watched closely, of course.

EC & Cocoa: Thanks for the support. I was not doing well for awhile there. :)

MonStar
03-14-2003, 10:39 AM
HST 6 days a week huh fuzz? Damn thats a lotta volume. But if you keep the volume short I am sure you could handle it. I am prettty sure WBB member Blood&Iron had some good success with a 6-day per week split, if I am not mistaken.

fuzz
03-14-2003, 12:24 PM
monstar: Well the volume won't be anymore then a 3x day routine. I'll be doing 1 or 2 work set per exercise, and not many exercises a day, so I don't think it will be too bad. If it gets too tough I'll go back to a normal 3x week thing.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Ah crap dude, being sick sucks more than raniali on a weekend.

I take it the LipoDerm-Y experiement went to s hit then?

fuzz
03-15-2003, 09:51 AM
TCD: Yea well I've pretty much stopped Lipoderm until I decide if I'm going to bulk or cut. Right now I'm just trying to get my diet back on track and get conditioning back and what not. I have plenty of Lipo left once I resume the experiment.

diet: Yesterday was basically a cheat day. We had a party at work cuz we got our bonus checks, so I had some beers there (hey, they were free). Then I went out with the fam to Famous Daves, so I had to get ribs. Went a bit overboard there and had a full rack (maybe 14 ribs). Finished almost all that, then I had the brownie fudge sundae. It was a damn good meal, and I haven't eaten like that in a long time. When it was all said and done, it was around a 4500 cal day.

cardio: Went out for a quick jog here, since the weather is finally nice. I'm surprised by how quickly I got tired, but I suppose it makes since after the layoff and sickness. Maybe did two miles, if that.

ramble: I think I'm going out tonight in Chicago with some friends, there are some pretty big techno djs playing from Europe. They play good stuff, like the style I used to spin back when I had time for that. I plan on drinking but not getting trashed or anything.

Hmm....thinking of editing my workout plan ...

Mon/Wed/Fri - workout A
squat
lying leg curl
calf raises
millies
hammer curls

Tue/Thur/Sat - workout B
dips
wide chins
DB incline press
DB rows

fuzz
03-16-2003, 10:09 PM
SOoooo...lately I've basically been eating what I want, and not caring too much for limiting myself. I suppose that will stop tomorrow, since I'm beginning lifting again. Now I just have to decide if I'm going to bulk or cut.

This was a good weekend. Bought a dining room table, got some how-to books for finishing basements and remodeling bathrooms. Got plenty of stuff to read up on. Now I just need the time.

I think its time for another beer.

fuzz
03-17-2003, 07:12 AM
HST Day 1

sleep: 7 hours or so.

energy: Good. 7 out of 10.

diet: Getting back on track today.

wo: Will be at lunch time. Hope I can fit everything into under an hour and fifteen minutes. Can't take too long of a lunch here.

fuzz
03-18-2003, 02:22 PM
Yesterday's Workout

Squat
15 x 115
- Damn lower back.

Leg Curl
15 x 67.5

Calf Raises
15 x 100

Millies
15 x 55

Hammer curls
30 x 22.5 (15 each side)

Easy. Quick. Done.

fuzz
03-18-2003, 02:25 PM
HST Day 2

sleep: Eight hours, though a bit broken up.

diet: Too high in cals yesterday, so today I'm gonna cut back a bit.

energy: Decent. 7.

workout notes:
1. Did this in under 25 mins at lunch.
2. I think I like these quick workouts...though its hard to keep everything so light and quick.

Dips
15 x 100

Chins
15 x 130

DB Incline
15 x 25
8 x 25

DB Rows
15 x 25 both sides

Easy and light workout. Just how the first few days of 15s should be. I think I'm gonna do leg press tomorrow instead of squat, lay off the lower back.

bradley
03-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Will you still be cutting on this HST cycle? A six day a week routine sounds like fun. Will be interesting to follow your progress.