PDA

View Full Version : Diet Debate

Steelheart
07-05-2001, 07:47 PM
Mike Metzer once said, "A calorie is a calorie" Or something lilke that. Now as long as you get your recommended protein thes rest of your calories can be anything right? As long as your eating your recommended calories. Now most of us are not going to go eat pizza and protein shakes 6 times per day but you get the picture. As long as we are all training we can eat that pizza for dinner or bacon eggs hasbrown for breakfast as long as our total calories is low. Anyone agree???

Cackerot69
07-05-2001, 07:51 PM
Overall - Yup.

Of course you could get better results by maniplulating macro ratio's, carb sources, fat sources, etc.

But, in the end it comes down to Calories in VS calories out in weight gain or loss.

Alex.V
07-05-2001, 07:56 PM
I'd say sure, as long as you're getting enough carbs for energy, enough essential fatty acids, and sufficient amounts of protein, you can eat whatever the hell else you want.

I dunno how much pizza will fit after you've got all the other macros you need, but you're welcome to it.

Steelheart
07-05-2001, 08:03 PM
Its just that I made my best gains by having 3-4 MRP per day with 2 "easy meals" I went down to 206lbs 6% fat from 235lbs and I had stopped steroids for that diet phase. This was 5 years ago.

Jane
07-05-2001, 09:27 PM
I was thinking about the same stuff myself, actually. I am still not sure about this: if you eat dinner late at night, will more of it get stored as fat? or do meal times not matter? :confused:

Frankster
07-05-2001, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Steelheart
Its just that I made my best gains by having 3-4 MRP per day with 2 "easy meals" I went down to 206lbs 6% fat from 235lbs and I had stopped steroids for that diet phase. This was 5 years ago.

Ummm.. why did you stop :confused: tuttut

flake
07-05-2001, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Jane
if you eat dinner late at night, will more of it get stored as fat? or do meal times not matter? :confused:

can of worms, opening, arrrrr.

um a lot of people disagree on this, in fact there was a debate on it a while ago I'll see if I can hunt it out.

hemants
07-06-2001, 07:02 AM
I disagree.

True, protein requirements are the most important thing to meet and overall caloric intake will reflect whether you gain or lose weight, but....

The timing of meals, what they consist of, etc. etc. will affect what type of weight you gain or lose. (ie. muscle vs fat)

Not to mention long term health benefits of eating properly vs stuffing yourself with bacon and butter all the time.

Jane
07-06-2001, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by hemants

The timing of meals, what they consist of, etc. etc. will affect what type of weight you gain or lose. (ie. muscle vs fat)

So if you're going for muscle gain, you should eat about 5 times a day, small, high protein meals? What exactly should the ratio be of protein-carbs-fat? Isn't it something like 40-30-30 or 40-50-10?

Wizard
07-06-2001, 04:04 PM
I agree with Hemants.Ex.:Our goal is not to reduce our weight but our bodyfat levels.So,calories do count in weight maintenance but not in body composition.

IceRgrrl
07-06-2001, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure what the scientific answer to this question is, but for myself I've noticed that eating crap=feel like crap. I'll eat pizza or eggs/bacon on my cheat day, but I just do better on more basic foods--unprocessed, mainly protein and veggies with some pasta, bread, and fruit thrown in there.

Wizard
07-06-2001, 04:20 PM
Me too.I feel guilty when I even think of eating crap.Cheating makes me feel like crap so I avoid it. :)