PDA

View Full Version : cutting, tkd, ckd lots of questions

Joe Black
07-06-2001, 06:01 AM
OK After speaking to TKD guru (Paul:D), this is kinda what I have decided on for a 12 week cutting cycle starting on Aug 7th...

6 weeks : Keto Diet
1 week off dieting (This should result in high glycogen stores and minimal fat storage)
5 weeks on isocaloric...

How does this look ?

OK my q's...

KETO

1)OK I hear people talking about carbing up Sat and Sundays, some saturdays and half sundays, some just saturdays and some a weekend every two and some none at all lol.. Which is the best?

Also by carb up how many carbs should you be taking. SHould you eat how you like or eat more isocaloric? OR eat the same with say more carbs..

2)I am considering 25-75 grams of carbs pre workout.. Would this not effect the state of ketosis ?

3)How might my training change ? Or should it stay the same?

4)How many meals per day is optimal for keto?

hmm thats it for now :)

Thanks for your advice :)

Wizard
07-06-2001, 02:57 PM
Ckd
1)What has been recommended by the authors of the CKD is 10-12 grams of carbs per kilogram of lean mass. For example,if you have 160 pounds of lean mass, divide that by 2.2, and you get roughly 73 kg and 730 grams of carbs.You should decide whether your carb up lasts about one day or any longer.Each individual reacts differently.The lowest your fat intake is,the fewest are the possibilities to store any fat.Keep grams of fat intake below your lean body weight in kilograms. Your protein intake has to be about 1gram/pound of lean body mass.
Personally i prefer 6days of keto/1 day of carb up to ensure that I don't gain any fat at all.

2)Depending on the GI score of the carbohydrate,it will affect ketosis faster or slower.I don't recommend it you.But if your fist goal isn't to lose bodyfat as fast as you can,go with it.(TDK)

3)You must keep training volume lower than your usual routine. Overtraining is probably the number one killer in motivation, it deprives sleep, and hinders fat loss. After doing the carb up work out your strongest/largest bodyparts (chest or legs usually) to take the advantage of working out with full glycogen stores.You may improve a lot.Then do another workout two days later working out your weaker bodyparts.The day of carbup you can do another workout,a full body workout or some sprints to get all your muscle groups ready to absorb every mol of glycogen you are going to synthesise later.After that workout have about 100grams of hi Gi,liquid carbs with some protein(whey isolated is the best) and supplement it with 300mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid and 200mcg of chromium.The day of carb up you can take some additional potassium to prevent high water retention(aka bloating).

4)Personally I continue having 5-6 meals per day but it isn't so important.Some people have only 3 meals but again,it doesn't affect the speed of fat loss at all.

gary
07-06-2001, 08:48 PM
Just a note: chest is smaller than glutes, quads, lats and traps.

Originally posted by Blackalpha
After doing the carb up work out your strongest/largest bodyparts (chest or legs usually)

Wizard
07-07-2001, 04:24 AM
That's why I wrote the word OR.His largest muscle group has not to be his strongest muscle group.

Paul Stagg
07-07-2001, 12:00 PM
OK After speaking to TKD guru (Paul), this is kinda what I have decided on for a 12 week cutting cycle starting on Aug 7th...

** I am not a guru.

6 weeks : Keto Diet
1 week off dieting (This should result in high glycogen stores and minimal fat storage)
5 weeks on isocaloric...

How does this look ?

** Vaguely familiar... :)

OK my q's...

KETO

1)OK I hear people talking about carbing up Sat and Sundays, some saturdays and half sundays, some just saturdays and some a weekend every two and some none at all lol.. Which is the best?

** Depends. I wold start at 36 hours, and adjust from there. (You do know that you'll need to change your workout schedule and include a depletion workout for a CKD to be most effective, right?)

Also by carb up how many carbs should you be taking. SHould you eat how you like or eat more isocaloric? OR eat the same with say more carbs..

** Lots 'o carbs, same protein, limited fat.

2)I am considering 25-75 grams of carbs pre workout.. Would this not effect the state of ketosis ?

** Are you going to do a CKD or TKD? CKD, the weekend carb up is your pre-workout carbs. To answer the Q, maybe, depends. I would get back in ketosis within a couple of hours of my workout, if I came out at all.

3)How might my training change ? Or should it stay the same?

** Depends. On a CKD, you'll need to change your training - 2 heavy weight training days after you carb up (Mon and tues), and one light depletion workout before you carb up (fri). Mcdonald's book lays it out nicely.

4)How many meals per day is optimal for keto?

** 4-6. I've seen Lyle mention that less meals may lead to more fat loss.

Joe Black
07-08-2001, 02:30 AM
he he you know what I am damn tempted to go isocaloric all the way..

What do you think?

I am typically someone that carrys bf, but if I dieted strictly isocaloric you think I would be fine?

Bam Bam
07-08-2001, 08:16 AM
i hear a 70% fat and 30% protein diet for keto how can you eat this much fat? it almost seems that youd have to try to hard tho get that much fat

Paul Stagg
07-09-2001, 03:26 PM
Isocaloric all the way is fine.

Yes, it is difficult to get 70% of your cals from fat. Lots of cheese and mayo. And Bacon. mmmmm.....

Joe Black
07-10-2001, 03:07 AM
I was gonna go isocaloric then you go and mention bacon lol.... hmm

I still think I have more chance of being consistent no a isocaloric and I think cinsistency is going to be the most important factor for me..:)

Thanks for everybodys help

ericg
07-10-2001, 06:44 AM
Let us know what you choose.

Either way, like you said, consistency is the major factor.

Good luck man