PDA

View Full Version : suggestions...kinda long

Jgirl
11-30-2002, 02:29 PM
I went to see a nutritionist and had my body fat tested today. I want to share what he told me and get suggestions from you guys. Overall, I felt pretty good since the guy was so impressed when I whipped out my food journal for the past nine weeks and admitted that there was little he could do for me except to offer minor suggestions. My goal is to lower body fat and not to add major size as most of you guys are here. My body fat is 22 % and I carry the majority of it on the lower half (weight =117). I didn't buy the plan the guy was trying to sell me because I only wanted to know my body fat. BTW, I am at my target weight so I don't want to lose any weight. So here are his suggestions:

- Add more fat (I've been trying) An example he said was to add almonds to my oatmeal and protein powder meal.

- Balance eat meal 40-30-30 (I usually tally it up at the end of the day instead of by individual meals) I'm workng on my meal plan right now.

- Eat something before morning workout (usually workout on empty stomach at 5:15 am) Suggestions...shake

- Eat right before I go to bed (last meal is usually on break at school, which is 8:30 PM and don't go to bed until 10 or 10:30)

- Eat majority of carbs from veg and fruit (use rice as a condiment, sprinkle on top of veg.) (But, I don't like veggies)

- Stretch meals to every three hours (usually eat 2 or 2 1/2 hours)
Not a problem.

- Make sure my cardio is in target heart rate. ( I like to run and I know it gets too high) Should I buy a monitor?

I'm going to be eating the same thing for the next two weeks until I finish finals so today I am planning every meal and figuring the percents. It doesn't bother me to eat the same thing. If you have any suggestions for meals, preworkout meals etc feel free to offer them. Also, he suggested to have my body fat tested every four weeks.

bradley
11-30-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Jgirl

- Add more fat (I've been trying) An example he said was to add almonds to my oatmeal and protein powder meal.

- Balance eat meal 40-30-30 (I usually tally it up at the end of the day instead of by individual meals) I'm workng on my meal plan right now.

- Eat something before morning workout (usually workout on empty stomach at 5:15 am) Suggestions...shake

- Eat right before I go to bed (last meal is usually on break at school, which is 8:30 PM and don't go to bed until 10 or 10:30)

- Eat majority of carbs from veg and fruit (use rice as a condiment, sprinkle on top of veg.) (But, I don't like veggies)

- Stretch meals to every three hours (usually eat 2 or 2 1/2 hours)
Not a problem.

- Make sure my cardio is in target heart rate. ( I like to run and I know it gets too high) Should I buy a monitor?

Natty PB is good when added to oatmeal IMO, which would give you some healthy fats.

Pre-workout you could have your protien shake and just dump some oats in with the shake, or have a couple of pieces of ww bread before working out.

Cottage cheese is good before bed. Will give you some slow digesting protien before going to sleep.

A post-workout shake with some protien and simple carbs.

Surely there is at least one vegetable that you like. Most everyone I know likes green beans which is a start. These are just a few ideas off the top of my head hope they can be of help. Good luck with the bf loss.

NateDogg
11-30-2002, 03:04 PM
Those are great suggestions. As for a monitor. If you can afford one, they are great. My parents swear by them and often wear them even when not training. If you can not afford one, a crude way to keep yourself in check is that if you can not talk normally, or close to it, while doing cardio, back off a little.

Paul Stagg
11-30-2002, 03:04 PM
His advice looks spot on to me.

the doc
12-03-2002, 05:51 PM
good advice from that guy

a couple of things you said are somewhat contradictory
"My goal is to lower body fat and not to add major size as most of you guys are here"
"BTW, I am at my target weight so I don't want to lose any weight"

so you will need to either drop some weight (ie fat) or train more intensely (to increase lean body mass)

I would myself be doing the latter, and since you're a woman then there is no worry about "getting to big" since women cant really get big without the help of androgens

Jgirl
12-03-2002, 06:03 PM
Let me try to explain.....I don't mind if I lose weight or gain a few, however weight lose/gain is not the focal point my goal. The nutrition guy is used to individuals coming in an wanting to lose 10-20 pounds. I have trouble losing weight anyways. I keep losing inches, but only lost 3 pounds in 9 weeks, which is a good thing so I am not complaining. I know that I really can't gain size, and I wanted to make it clear that I am not "bulking" or using the wannabe guides. I just thought the info he gave me was interesting and wanted to get others opinions. Hope you guys understand, sorry about that.