PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you say: "Ooh"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Isaac Wilkins
11-30-2002, 06:23 PM
Ok, here it is. I've finally broken down and decided to make a journal.

I've enjoyed reading the site for months now, though I've been somewhat lax in posting over the summer and now fall.

A little background about me, as if you were interested:

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 231 lbs (shoes, gym clothes).
Bodyfat: ~15-16%
Years Training: 3 (sort of)
Time Training Properly: ~6 months
Time Spent Being Pissy About Wasted Time: ~6 months
Time Spent Being Pissy About Other Things: 22 Years
Facial Features: Barely acceptable.

I've recently graduated from the University of Maine with a B.S. in Business Administration/Finance. I am contemplating returning to school this coming Spring in order to get a B.A. in Psych and an M.B.A.

I'm a corporate goth who enjoys hitting people on the football field (inside linebacker/defensive end).

This is as close as I've come to filling out a personals ad. Creepy.

Despite being reasonably athletic I've always been fat. My mother says something more polite, but at this point in my life I have developed an autotranslation mechanism. She says whatever it is that she says, and I hear "fat". As a result, I've always easily gained mass, but am constantly on the downward plunge in fatness/weight.

As other background, after a very productive summer (partially detailed in an earlier thread) I managed to partially tear my front delt. This was an accumulation of damage from dislocations (grappling/wrestling), an older gym injury, and wear and tear. As a result, I was basically unable to lift upper b until early November. I'm back, but taking it slow on certain exercises, mostly presses, and not doing a few exercises I'd like to do.

During that time I've been slowly cutting, mostly diet orientated. I've been eating pretty clean, but not super strict, my weight has dropped to what you see above from like 242ish in August, while maintaining most of my muscle mass (certainly lost some upper body).

Either way, here's the plan: Continue self rehab (modified WBB #1) and continue slow cut until mid December. Then begin a slow bulk until around March. At that point I'll cut again, with more focus. I'd like to be in the neighborhood of 230-235 pounds at a 12% bodyfat by June/July. Long term goal: 260+ pounds at 12-13% in my early 30's.

Next lifting day is Monday, so that's probably when I post again, unless I think of something exciting.

Diet was decent today, usually I'll provide more detail, but I'm in a teasing mood tonight.

Franjipani
11-30-2002, 08:42 PM
Great to see you have some clearly defined goals !!!

Congrats on starting your journal...Hope you find it as rewarding as I do mine:thumbup:

Ritzol
12-01-2002, 12:06 AM
haha, I love the name of your journal.

Isaac Wilkins
12-02-2002, 03:14 PM
Ah, time to post the first workout. Outstanding. I'm not going to do all that cool stuff with symbols and colors that ya'll like, yet. We'll see if I work up the gumption to do it later on.

For starters, thanks to two of the WBB hotties for stopping by already! Things like that make me say "ooh". :D

For explaination, with the shoulder injury I've sustained, I've altered my benching a little for rehab. I'm doing a 5x5 bench routine, added to the WBB #1 frame, simply to bring myself back. I've also switched over to a powerlifting style bench, as far as elbows in, this seems to reduce the stress on my shoulder. I don't think I'll ever be able to do a bodybuilding style bench again (I can feel the ripping and tearing with the rotation :( )

Anything with a partial is exactly that (ie 5.5 = 5 good reps, one partial).

Monday: Chest and Back, 12:50 pm.
Weight = 235.1 (clothed)

BB Bench: 200 lbsx5, 200x5, 200x5, 200x5, 200x4
-I think I might have been able to do the last rep, but things were feeling a little weak, and I had no spotter.

Incline DB Flyes (slow): 35x10, 35x8

Wide-grip Pulldowns: 180x8, 190x5.5
-Not feeling these. Good contraction, nice feel to the muscle, but strength is down from last week. :cry:

BB Bent-over Rows: 185x8, 205x9.5
-Opposite of the pulldowns, I felt hella strong on these. Form was great, strength was excellent.

One-armed Rows: 100x8.5
-I usually throw in a set of some back exercise, that changes. Today it was one-armed rows. Sometimes it's cables, sometimes a T-bar.

BB Shrugs: 225x11.5
-Slow. Nice contraction.

Overall a good workout. I didn't feel particularly strong at times, but started to come around later. My back was HIT!

Other items of interest: A top notch hottie (read :hump: ) who I've never seen before was doing squats on a bench (box squat style). Perfect powerlifting form, though she doesn't have the powerlifter's build. Color me impressed! As opposed to going over and saying something suave (or stupid), I concentrated on my workout. :rolleyes:

I'm so proud of myself. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well, back to work for me... :swear:

Isaac Wilkins
12-03-2002, 03:18 PM
Back again, baby.

Today was an off day for the gym (I'm on a three day split), so I decided to do a little cardio. Now, I hate cardio. I'm a fatty from the womb, and not much pisses me off more than cardio. However, since I'm only cutting for a little while longer, I'd best make a go of it, eh?

Normally, if forced into cardio, I prefer some sort of HIT method (sprinting, etc). However, I live in Maine, USA, and it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 degrees F today, with snow covering my favorite running areas. I'm a big fan of explosive training, so you'll see mostly that, if I get around to it.

ANYWAY. Today I hit the ol' NordicTrack for 20 moderate minutes, while watching Jason X on mute. I noticed that this movie has come up in a couple of threads lately, having just watched it myself. It's better on mute. Not good, but better.

While I'm here I'll give my supplementation schedule. If you hadn't noticed by the weights that I'm moving, I'm natural.

Broken up in various intervals throughout the day:

3 g Vitamin C
800 IU Vitamin E
3 Multivites (Centrum, at the moment)
3 B-Complex 50's
400 mg Chromium Picolinate
3 Osteo-BiFlex (Gluco/Chondrotin): I don't have the bottle in front of me (or a frontal lobotomy... I kill me). :D
5 g Creatine
10-20g Glutamine
4 g MSM
50 mg Zinc
500 mg Magnesium

While cutting: 3 caps GNC standardized Green Tea
4 caps Xenedrine (got it at a good price, I usually mix my own ECA)
650 mg Aspirin

So much excitement.

Song playing in the background: "Runnin' With Bubba" - Bubba Sparxxx.

Song on deck: "Jaw Gymnastics" - Del tha Funky Homosapian

Soreness: Some DOMS in chest and back, not as much as I expected after yesterday's workout, but there.

Other news: I heard some scuttlebutt that I might be all set with a campus assistantship come spring! I hope this comes through, then I can be back to school, get my advanced degrees, and be done with it. I do, of course, love school. However, it has reached the point where I would like to get some career plans solidified.

Ritzol
12-03-2002, 08:23 PM
Nice job on your workouts there chief. :thumbup: Keep it up!!

Just a note on the outdoor running....... it was like 10 degrees here today, and snowing as well. On my way home from college I saw some lady out running through the park, man I really had to admire her. I would never ever go outside in that kind of weather, and I totally respect those people that do. There is some true dedication. I'm such a pansy I haven't done cardio in awhile because the treadmill is in the basement and it's too "cold", lol.

Isaac Wilkins
12-03-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Ritzol
Nice job on your workouts there chief. :thumbup: Keep it up!!

Just a note on the outdoor running....... it was like 10 degrees here today, and snowing as well. On my way home from college I saw some lady out running through the park, man I really had to admire her. I would never ever go outside in that kind of weather, and I totally respect those people that do. There is some true dedication. I'm such a pansy I haven't done cardio in awhile because the treadmill is in the basement and it's too "cold", lol.

I hear that. In this case it wasn't so much the temp, but the snow blocking off my sprinting routes.

Don't get me wrong, I was in NO way looking for a good reason to go out. :D

Isaac Wilkins
12-04-2002, 04:14 PM
Leg day, leg day, leg day! :clap:

I have a strong love/hate relationship with leg day, which I'm sure many of you understand. I love the stress, pain, etc. I hate that things are not progressing nicely. I injured my lower back over the summer, and since then have had trouble with my squat form. Squatting was new to me anyway, but I was just getting it down, then BAM! lots of ripping and tearing (not while squatting, though). Ever since then, I don't feel pain, but I can't seem to nail down the technique. Needless to say, I've dropped my weights way down and am trying to regain something. It seems to be working....

Low hydration and calories today, low calories yesterday. :swear:

I'm an idiot.

Wednesday: Legs, 2:50pm
Weight: Gym scale broken. :swear:

Warmup squats: 135x8
-Went very slow, quite deep on these.

Squats: 225x8, 225x8
-I'm starting to feel good on squats again. There was some decent explosion coming out of the hole.

Hack Squats (sled): 3plates/sidex8, 3platesx8
-First set was like buttah! The second set was tougher, decent depth, though not ATF (my knees aren't going to handle that).

Stiff-Legged DL: 265x8, 285x9
-I do these with a very slight bend at the knees, maintaining the same angle. As for depth I'm pretty flexible here, so I go about an inch off of my instep (I'm on a platform). I do round a little bit, but I use these for a lower back exercise also, so as to strengthen my deadlift.

Seated Calf Raises: 100x15, 100x15.5
-Slow contraction.

Weighted Sit-up Machine Thingy: 100x20, 100x20
-Not to failure.

That's about all I have. In the future I need to stretch a little bit better. I was in a rush today. My quads felt quite fried after the hacks, so that was sweet. I was also somewhat queasy after the workout, always a stellar sign on leg day! :D

Other items of interest: I really don't have much. I watched a 130 pounder bang 155 pounds off his chest on the bench today. Well, actually "bang" is probably the wrong word, when combined with with "off". It didn't really come off. His partner (another idiot) gave him a lift off, let go, and WONK! The bar hit his chest and sort of stayed there. I was impressed. Especially with the little flutter that his feet made on impact. :eek:

Song playing in the background: Beatnuts - "Watch Out Now"

Song on deck: The Cars - "Drive"

Miss Rezza
12-04-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Borris
Other items of interest: I really don't have much. I watched a 130 pounder bang 155 pounds off his chest on the bench today. Well, actually "bang" is probably the wrong word, when combined with with "off". It didn't really come off. His partner (another idiot) gave him a lift off, let go, and WONK! The bar hit his chest and sort of stayed there. I was impressed. Especially with the little flutter that his feet made on impact. :eek:

Muahahahaha.............. bet you had to bite your lip to keep yourself from laughing out loud in the gym :p

Oh yeah and Leg day rox!......... nice workout!

Isaac Wilkins
12-04-2002, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I have a chewed up bottom lip for a couple of reasons. One of which is because of the things I see in the gym. ;)

Thanks for stopping by!

THREE WBB hotties! :D

Isaac Wilkins
12-06-2002, 03:31 PM
Another excellent training day.

Shoulder day is a little sketchy now, given the recent injury. I'm trying to be slow and light with the shoulder exercises. Of course, I tend to be a hard-charging trainer, so I have to avoid being a moron and hurting myself.

I did a bunch of lightweight warmup stuff for the shoulders. I'm not going to list them, as they were more instinctive and focused on warmup.

Friday: Shoulders and Arms, 1:00 pm
Weight = 234

Seated BB Militaries: 125x8, 145x8
-These weren't bad, but I was certainly approaching failure on rep eight. I'll stick with this weight for another week.

Bent-over Raises: 35x10, 35x12

Close-grip Bench Press: 165x8, 185x8
-Decent strength here.

Rope Pressdowns: 100x8, 100x8.5
-I'm definitely thinking of getting rid of these for another power movement, like skulls or something. I need to pack some more size/strength on my tris.

EZ-Curls: 95x8, 115x7 + 1 cheat rep.
-I couldn't seem to lock in well today. I felt it when I put the weights down, but I couldn't seem to wake up the bi's on these like I usually do. Very clean form until the cheat rep.

Hammer Curls: 40x9.5
-Very slow, too light.

Overhand Curls: 65x12.5
-I try for slightly higher reps on forearm exercises, but this was a joke. I need to bump weight bigtime.

Standing Alternate DB Curls: 30x8.5
-I don't usually do these, but I gave in to my inner curl jockey and just repped them out.

Overall it was a very good workout. I felt very strong, and I must admit, things were looking pumped.
;)
The whole workout took about 35 minutes, which was pretty sweet.

Excellent calorie/hydration intake today and lastnight.

Though I'm not a pump chaser, I must admit it was hellacious today. :evillaugh

Other items of interest: I registered for the NSCA-CPT exam today. I'm looking forward to it, of course. Now that I have a date set, I'll have to get my head out of my ass and do some more focused studying. Some of their policies and ideas I don't agree so much with, but I'll learn it for the sake of the exam.

I've also decided that instead of getting a BA in Psych, I'll get a BS in Kinesiology to go with my MBA starting this spring. As to my overall career plans... Obviously somewhere in the health/fitness industry, but that's about all I have at the moment. I'd like something loftier than being a trainer (MBA...) though I think I will enjoy doing that part-time.

Song playing in the background: Lesser Martyrs - "Say the Word"

Song on deck: Nine Inch Nails - "Terrible Lie"

beastin v6
12-06-2002, 07:20 PM
Hey bro, impressive lifts ! And you've only been lifting for 6 months properly! Keep it up!

Isaac Wilkins
12-06-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by beastin v6
Hey bro, impressive lifts ! And you've only been lifting for 6 months properly! Keep it up!

Thanks for the props, man! I appreciate it.

They're not that impressive, though. Remember my bodyweight!

Also, I trained for quite a while before that. While I didn't get the results I should have, I did build a pretty solid base.

This is a good opportunity to detail how bad my old program was:

Monday: Chest, Shoulders, and Tris
Tuesday: Back and Bis
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, and Tris
Friday: Back and Bis
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Off

So much badness. :rolleyes:

It was pretty high volume (20 sets per big bodypart, maybe 15 for smaller). Most everything was 3 sets, 10-8-6 pyramiding weight.

No legs! tuttut

Here's the rational for that screwup: I naturally have big, strong legs (true). I'd better not train them so that I can build my upper body up to match. :swear:

I also had a tendency towards not lifting for months at a time.

Needless to say, I'm better now. :D

Isaac Wilkins
12-08-2002, 02:21 PM
Ah, Sunday. I remember when Sunday was a day of rest or stress, depending upon the proximity to due dates, or the alcohol I consumed the night before. Now, I work on Sundays. :swear:

I've spent most of the morning running around, repairing my truck and whatnot, so diet has been blah.

Here's today's diet, with the rest of the planned meals plugged it. I'm not going to bother to calorie count it, it should be around 2700-3000.

10:00 am: 4% Cottage Cheese, 2% milk.
1:00 pm: Cottage cheese, milk, apple.
4:00 pm: Cottage cheese, sweet potato
7:00 pm: Apple, sunflower seeds, bagel w/natty pb
9:00 pm: Cottage cheese, sweet potato, apple, hot chocolate
12:00 am: Protein bar, sunflower seeds

Normally my diet isn't so frightfully bland, but today's food prep time was NIL.

I performed cardio again today. Blah. 20 minutes of moderate intensity on the NordicTrack. I broke a sweat, but I wasn't dying. I'm looking forward to chest/back day tomorrow! Mmmm... Deadlifts! Perhaps a throwback to my Finnish blood, but no exercise makes me happier than deads. Too bad I waited until about a year ago to start doing them haphazardly.

Other items of interest: Nothing much here. I'm kind of enjoying watching all of the stupid here at work, but it gets old, too. Look at all the stupid.

Song playing in the background: Corrosion of Conformity - "Clean My Wounds"

Song on deck: Dope - "Kimberly's Ghost"

beastin v6
12-08-2002, 05:05 PM
Keep your head high Borris.
Yeah every1 says " MY legs are already big" , and is just an excuse not to train legs.

Everyone at my says that to me all the freakin time. I just dont say anything to them.

peace

Isaac Wilkins
12-09-2002, 03:13 PM
Chest and Back day today. Yippee! Let's get straight to the fun!

Monday: Chest and Back, 12:45 pm
Weight = 236

The scale is a little messed up at the gym, so my weight will fluctuate. I don't really check it for weight, more for trends. I'm a mirror-based person, as far as judging my fatness.

Warmup BB Bench Press: 135x6
BB Bench Press: 205x5, 205x5, 205x5, 205x4, 205x5
-I didn't have a spotter for my fourth set, so I erred on the side of caution (injuries will do that to you) and racked it. I grabbed a decent spotter on set five, and didn't end up needing it. I think I'm going to switch to DB's for a little while (4 weeks) to complete my shoulder rehab.

Incline DB Flyes: 35x10, 35x10
-Yawn.

Deadlifts: 225x3, 335x3, 365x4
-I shoot for 5+ on my heavy set, but in this case my back tweaked a little. I had plenty of strength for five or six reps, but once it tweaked, I was all set.

One-Armed Rows: 100x8, 100x6.5
-Yep.

DB Pullovers: 60x8
-I rarely do these, but was looking for something to finish off my back and chest. I don't know how I feel about them, but I suppose I'd like them more if I were more comfortable with them.

In general it was a pretty good session. I'm a little annoyed about my back tweaking, but I think it'll be all right. I'll be more aware of it tomorrow morning, I'm sure. :D

It might impact my leg day on Wednesday, though. We'll see. :cry: It's a light squat day for me, anyway, so that might be just as well. The heavy SLDL's might be too much, though... we'll see.

Diet was good, hydration was alright, but could be better.

10:00 - Oatmeal, 2% milk
12:00 - Protein shake, apple
1:45 - Protein shake, dextrose
4:30 - Steak, sweet potato
7:30 - Bagel w/Natty PB, apple
9:30 - Steak, sweet potato
12:00 - Protein bar, peanuts (honey roasted .:evillaugh )

Other items of interest: I got the assistantship I applied for! Looks like I'll be a college student again in another month. Not that I really want to spend my next three years in school, but if I'm going to get the advanced degree, I'd better get it now.

Song playing in the background: Afroman - "Colt .45"

Song on deck: Dr. Dre - "Keep Their Heads Ringin'"

Isaac Wilkins
12-10-2002, 05:41 PM
Borris is back... back again... *sigh* I can't respect myself if I continue that line.

Anyway. Not much to report today, as it's a scheduled off day. Normally I'd be contemplating cardio, but with the lower back tweak incurred yesterday, I'm going to do... nothing.

My back certainly informed me that it was unimpressed this morning, so I'm not sure about tomorrow's leg workout. I may push it to Thursday, we'll see.

Soreness: DOMS in lats, tris, and pecs. Nothing major, but enough to let me know there's some damage done. :D

Diet:

10:00 - Oatmeal, 2% milk
1:00 - Protein shake
4:45 - Skim milk, peanuts
7:00 - Steak, sweet potato
9:00 - Peanuts, hot chocolate
10:30 - Steak, apple
12:00 - Protein shake

Other items of interest: Man, I'm boring. I'm at work. A student just pissed on one of his roommate's bed. He (the roommate) is quite upset. I'm supposed to mediate this situation. :rolleyes:
Of course, I can't give my opinion of what he should do, because that's not the way we do things here. tuttut :rolleyes:

Song playing in the background: ODB - "Shimmy Shimmy Ya"

Song on Deck - Wu Tang - "Pinkie Ring"

Isaac Wilkins
12-13-2002, 09:25 AM
Ok, I didn't get to log this yesterday, so I'm doing it today.

Thursday: Legs, 12:35 pm
Weight = 236

Squats: 135x3, 135x3, 135x3, 135x3, 135x3
-Between the recent back injury and the form issues I've been having, I went crazy light on these. I was going for great, deep form with nice explosion.

Hack Squats: 3 plates x8, 3 plates x9
-Not a bad couple of sets here. Of course, the quads weren't fatigued at all from squatting.

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: 135x6, 275x2 (stopped)
-Ok, the back wasn't feeling THAT bad, so I thought I'd try them. Oops. I didn't injure myself any more, but I knew that it was time to stop.

Leg Curls: 110x8, 120x6.5
-Yep.

Seated Calf Raises: 120x12, 120x13.5
-Decent burn here. Very slow contraction.

Weighted Sit-up Machine Thingy: 100x20, 100x25
-Not to failure, but a good burn was felt. Very slow contractions.

Basically this was a wasted workout. Until this back heals up (it feels pretty good today) I'm going to have a hard time with legs. Hopefully it'll be good to go by the next session. :swear:

Other items of interest: Nothing today. I'm tired from Christmas shopping yesterday. I haven't been run over by an old woman in one of those scooter things yet, which happens EVERY year at Christmas. However, the holiday is still young. So much to look forward to.

Song playing in the background: My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult - "A Martini Built for 2 - DaddyO Mix"

Song on deck: My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult - "Dimentia 66 - Cherry's Mix"

Isaac Wilkins
12-14-2002, 03:31 PM
:swear:

Hydration could have been better, and I forgot my ECA. Combine that with a general case of the blahs, and a crappy workout results.

Saturday: Shoulders and Arms, 1:05pm
Weight = 234.7

Seated Military Presses: 135x8, 145x8
-Nice contraction here. I felt good, which was soon to change.

Bent-Over DB Raises: 35x10, 35x10
-I need to just bump weight here. My shoulder is feeling pretty decent.

Close Grip Bench Press: 175x8, 195x4
-BLAH! No spotter, so suddenly I felt like I was in trouble. Honestly I think I could have done six pretty well, but I chickened out. I should have rested and done another set.

Skullcrushers: 75x8, 75x5
-Huh. I've never really done these, so I was trying to get the feel down. I think once I'm comfortable with them I'll like 'em, but until then. Blah!

EZ Curls: 95x8, 115x7+1 cheat
-No improvement here, though my control and form is good. I might have cheated a little less than before on the cheat rep, but it'll be another week at this weight.

Hammer Curls: 45x8.5
-Decent set. The bump in weight is pretty sweet. I think I'll bump again next week.

Overhand Curls: 75x11
-Need to bump again.

I just didn't feel the weights today. My strength failed on several lifts, unfortunately.

Diet:
10:00 - 2% Milk, oatmeal
11:30 - Oatmeal, whey shake with 2% milk
2:00 - Whey shake with dextrose
3:00 - Small cheese pizza :eek:
6:00 - 1% Cottage cheese, sweet potato
9:00 - Peanuts
10:30 - Fat free cottage cheese
12:00 - Peanuts

Other items of interest: I gave my notice to my current job yesterday. Yay! I'm on my way out. :D

Song playing in the background: Incubus Succubus - "Paint It, Black"

Song on deck: Xzhibit - "Spit Shine"

Isaac Wilkins
12-16-2002, 07:38 PM
Ah... After several not so good workouts, I finally had a decent one today! :D

Monday: Chest and Back, 1:00pm
Weight = 236.9

Flat DB Bench: 60x8, 80x9
-Man, I haven't done DB benching in... Wow. This was a test week, so I'll bump next week.

Incline DB Bench: 50x8, 70x9
-Same as above.

Bodyweight Dips: x8, x6.5
-I tried to focus on leaning forward here, today is chest day, after all.

V-Bar Pulldowns: 180x8, 200x6.5

Then some moron got in my way, doing curls on the frickin' platform! :mad: :mad: :mad:

So I had to "keep warm" with a few lifts:

Hyperextentions: Bodyweightx12, not to failure.
Curl-grip pulldowns: 140x12, not to failure.

"Back" to the workout (I kill me :D ):

BB Rows: 205x8, 225x5.5
-This was a big jump in weight, but form was excellent.

V-Grip Cable Rows: 160x8, 200x6.5
-Yep. Back was fried by this time.

BB Shrugs: 235x13
-Form was excellent. Slow, even contractions.

Weighted Sit-Up Machine Thingy: 110x20, 110x30
-Given the recent back injury, I'm trying to bring my abs up. I'll be hitting them 2-3 times per week for a while.

Overall, an excellent workout. I felt very good, etc.

Other items of interest: I might have found a new lifting partner. I was talking to this older guy (35ish) in the gym today, and he's serious about powerlifting. He has a way to go, but he comes to the gym with a focus, which is refreshing for a college gym. I might end up partnering up with him, which would be chill as hell.

Song playing in the background: Golden Earring - "Radar Love"

Song on deck: Stabbing Westward - "What Do I Have to Do?" :D

Isaac Wilkins
12-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Wednesday: Leg day, 3:50 pm.
Weight = 236.6

Warmup Squats: 135x8
-Slow and deep. At least that's what she said. ;)

-Duh, I mean the trainer at the gym. Perverts. :D

Squats: 235x8, 235x9
-I'm starting to feel like I can do squats again. This is a good thing. I really felt these hitting my hams and groin, as I'm more of a powerlifter with my technique.

Hack Squats: 3plates x 8, 3plates x 9.
-Good, deep burn here. Bumping next week.

Hyperextentions: Bodyweightx12
-Just a warmup. Not close to failure.

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: 275x8, 295x6.5
-I guess the constant progression had to stop sometime. :cry:
Oh well. I'll stay here for another week.

Leg Press Sled Calf Raises: 6plates x 12, 6platesx13.5
-I was figgity-done by this point.

Weighted Sit-Up Machine Thingy: 120x20, 120x17
-Finally! Abs are toasted!

Great workout today! My legs felt HIT!

Other items of interest: Ah... A day off. Nice. I'm a big fan of lifting on my day off. It's nice to go in to the gym without stressing on time, etc.

Song playing in the background: Bloodhound Gang - "Ballad of Chasey Lain" :eek: :hump: :D

Song on deck: (hed)PE - "Bartender"

Isaac Wilkins
12-20-2002, 03:07 PM
Good day today! I worked out with my old lifting partner, which was sweet. I've been going partner-less for the past four months, which has sucked. I'm pretty particular about my spotters, so it was nice to have one I trusted.

Wednesday: Shoulders + Arms, 12:00pm
Weight = 233.8

Seated BB Militaries: 135x8, 145x9
-Bizump. Nice work here.

Bent-over DB Raises: 45x10, 45x8.5
-Nice weight jump here. I felt these a little.

Close-grip Bench: 175x8, 195x9
-This was a good push.

Skullcrushers: 75x8, 75x10
-The groove felt good today. I went all the way to my forehead, and the exercise felt normal. I didn't think my neurological system would catch on this fast.

EZ Curls: 95x8, 115x8
-Definitely stronger on these, but I think I'm going to stick here for another week. They weren't as clean as I'd like on the last couple of reps.

Hammer Curls: 50x6.5
-Here we go! Finally bumped weight to the point where I'm feeling failure at the right rep range.

Overhand Curls: 85x6.5
-I tried a different grip here. Not zippy.

Alternate DB Curls, Standing: 35x10
-Ok, inner curl jockey took over again. :D

Other items of interest: *shrug* :cool:

Song playing in the background: Some Jill Scott joint. I'm at work.

Song on deck: Who knows what excitement awaites?

Isaac Wilkins
12-23-2002, 03:07 PM
Monday: Chest and Back, 12:15pm
Weight = 234.0

Flat DB Bench Press: 80x8, 85x9
-I really should have done some sort of warmup exercise for this. I warmed up fine, but I didn't feel connected on the first set. Maybe a light set would have gotten me in the groove. I need to keep bumping these. I just stopped at nine reps.

Incline DB Bench Press: 70x8, 75x8
-This felt a little sticky on the last set. It's been so long since I've done any DB pressing that I'm still getting used to balancing again.

Bodyweight Dips: x8, x6.5
-Yep. Dips.

Hyperextentions: Bodyweight x12, x8
-These are just for a warmup. They're not to failure or even to a burn.

Chinups: x3
-These were definitely not to failure. I was waiting for someone to get out of the deadlift area, so I did these for fun and stretching.

Deadlifts: 135x6, 225x4, 315x3
-I decided to stop at 315 as opposed to going for 365x5. My lower back felt like it wasn't totally healed yet, so I didn't want to tweak it again. I need to work on my technique again, too. I need to get my ass down a little bit and pop out of the bottom. I'm leaving it too high, and I know that's what hurt my back last time.

One-armed Rows: 100x8, 100x7.5
-Nice.

-Yep. These finished off my lats. I started feeling it in my rear and medial delts towards the end, so I know that things were starting to fail. :D

Weighted Sit-up Machine Thingy: 120x20, 120x24.75
-It's amazing how fast my abs are coming up. Both in stregnth and in feel. :D

Other items of interest: I'm sick of Christmas shopping. I've done almost none of it. :cry: I sometimes hate my life.

Song playing the background: Redman - "Let's Get Dirty"

Song on deck: Redman - "Smash Sumthin'"

Isaac Wilkins
12-26-2002, 04:32 PM
The day after Christmas Leg session! :eek:

Thursday: Legs, 1:05 pm
Weight = 236.4

Squats: 245x8, 245x8
-I ended up off center on my last set. Whoops. My form and weight seems to be coming back, which is a good thing. Excellent explosion from the half-squat point. I was a little slow coming out of the hole, but not bad.

Hack Squats: 3 plates x 8, 3 plates+5 x 9
-Yep. Nice burn here killed my quads.

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: 135x10 (warmup), 275x8, 295x8
-These were tough! My lower back was hit.

Seated Calf Raises: 125x10, 125x10.5
-I don't know what the deal was here. I had no strength and the weight felt heavy. Huh.

Weighted Sit-up Machine Thingy: 130x20, 130x20.5
-Excellent.

Overall, it was a pretty good workout. I didn't get rolling until the SLDL's, but after that I felt pumped. I was feeling the effects of bad food and hydration for the past couple of days, I'm sure. Sleep has been excellent, though.

Other items of interest: Where to party for New Year's? Hm...

Song playing in the background: Matthew Sweet - "Farther Down"

Song on deck: Bic Runga - "Sway"

Isaac Wilkins
12-27-2002, 04:08 PM
I roused myself from the couch, finally, to go lift. I was watching a few episodes of Sports Night, the greatest television show. Ever. "A show about sports, that's not really about sports at all".

Friday: Shoulders & Arms, 3:05 pm
Weight = 233.5

Seated BB Military Press: 145x8, 155x6
-I started to let my back arch on the heavy set, so I called it at six reps.

Bent-over DB Raises: 50x8, 50x7.5
-Excellent.

Close-grip Bench Press: 185x8, 205x6
-I could have probably hit one more with a good spot, but...

Skullcrushers: 85xblah.
-My perma-injured wrist didn't like something I was doing. I couldn't manage to reposition it in any way so that it didn't hurt. Blah.

EZ Curls: 105x8, 125x3
-I went super slow on the heavy set because of my wrist. I didn't get my normal reps, but the TUT was like 4-1-4.

Preacher Curls: 95x6
-Slow, narrow grip. I did these to get a little work in the bi's after the slow, low rep set.

Hammer Curls: 50x7.5
-After this I did a drop set to 35 for my left arm only. It seemed to be lagging behind the right, so I punished it.
:whip:

Overhand Curls: 85x9.5
-Yawn

Alternating DB Curls (Standing): 35x10.5
-Just a burn set.

Overall I felt good. My arms were burnt, despite not having a lot of tricep work. I realized that I did like 5-6 sets for bi's! :eek: Oh well. I'll try not to let it happen again.

Other items of interest: Still need to figure out where I'm partying for New Year's... The friends that I'm partying haven't gotten their fookin' act together. :mad: :swear: :mad:

Man... I need to get some scratch. :hump: I mean, I need to pursue a short yet meaningful relationship with a wonderful and caring person...... :hump: :p

"You're a pig"
"I can be a good pig... Babe... Charlotte's Web... Good pig..."
-Mad props to any of ya'll who can tell me what movie that's from. There might be beer or something in it for you.

Song playing in the background: The Cars - "Bye Bye Love"

Song on deck: The Cars - "Moving in Stereo"

-Yes, I am listening to The Cars - "Greatest Hits"

xraygirl
12-27-2002, 05:16 PM
Have you considered putting the New Year's Eve shindig together yourself? :idea: That way you know that it's done right. The only downside is that you'll have lushes stinking up your digs.
hmmm...a better idea :idea: Get together with a friend and help him/her/it organize their party. That way, you get your New Year's Eve festivities in, and they might invite a nice girl with whom you could pursue said "short yet meaningful relationship" with. Even better, you can beat a hasty retreat instead of throwing your friends out if you get sick of the noise, etc...

Isaac Wilkins
12-27-2002, 05:23 PM
Excellent ideas, those.

What the current plan is: Three of the boys and I are going to one of two cities. One is close, one is far but has other friends. We're going to tear up either one. I can't let the other friends know until I hear from one of the three. He hasn't gotten back to me yet. Blah!

xraygirl
12-27-2002, 05:48 PM
Why can't all the friends get together and make one good plan? That would make much more sense, yes?
Just remember to get a taxi or use a DD if you drink! And I know that you'll drink. Everyone does that on NYE...except me :rolleyes:

Isaac Wilkins
12-27-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by xraygirl
Why can't all the friends get together and make one good plan? That would make much more sense, yes?
Just remember to get a taxi or use a DD if you drink! And I know that you'll drink. Everyone does that on NYE...except me :rolleyes:

Because that would involve too much sense. Can you now see my pain?

Without doubt on the DD/Taxi (taxi in this case). That's required for my crew to go out.

xraygirl
12-27-2002, 06:05 PM
I would go with the far one. That way the short yet meaningful relationship will stay short because of the distance involved.

Isaac Wilkins
12-27-2002, 06:15 PM
I would go with the far one. That way the short yet meaningful relationship will stay short because of the distance involved.

Good call. Never underestimate the powers of crazy when I'm involved, though. I'm blessed with a certain kind of magnetism. I believe there was a thread on this topic a while back. :D

I'm a member of the "If you're crazy, hunt me down" club. I think it's genetic.

xraygirl
12-27-2002, 06:22 PM
Then you may want to give her a false name. Preferably something that starts with a B so that you'll recognise it when you hear it.
Have fun :D

Isaac Wilkins
12-27-2002, 10:06 PM
Ooh! Excellent idea. My first name actually starts with an "I", which there aren't a whole lot of. Making the "B" association might be difficult after who knows how many New Year salutes. I'd have to use another name, though. I think I know just the one. Next to zero chance of kickback, yet maximal effect. :evillaugh

At the pearly gates, I'll tell 'em "xraygirl said it was ok". :angel:

Isaac Wilkins
01-07-2003, 08:53 AM
All right, so I took a week off. Lots of drinking. Lots of bad food. Very little sleep. It was very refreshing, mentally. Physically, it was certainly a step backwards. You know what? I'm ok with that. I do this like twice a year. It helps to keep me sane.

New Year's was a good time, for any that were wondering. A good time indeed.

Yesterday's gym workout sucked, obviously. Strength was all right in the early reps, but I certainly ran out of gas.

Monday: Chest and Back, 3:15pm
Weight = 232.8

Flat DB Bench Press: 60x8 (warmup), 85x8, 90x9
-Good set, to start things off. Nice stretch at the bottom of the rep.

Incline DB Press: 70x8, 75x3
-Things started to go to hell here. My shoulder clicked a little bit, so I went with it.

Dips: x5, x6.5
-Yep.

-Decent set.

BB Rows: 205x8, 205x9
-I'm trying to get the feel for this exercise back. It was a good couple of sets. I felt stronger on the second set.

V-Grip Cable Rows: 160x8, 200x4.5
-Damn. All kinds of roached. My lats felt crushed by the end.

BB Shrugs: 245x12
-Yawn.

Hyperextentions: +45x10, +45x11
-Nice set. I'm trying to work on my lower back/core. These really burnt me up.

Weighted Situp Machine Thingy: 140x20, 140x17.5
-Great burn. The abs were toasted.

All in all, it was a great workout by feel. I was DONE. Numbers-wise, it wasn't so good, but those'll come back, I'm sure.

Other items of interest: I've moved back on to campus. This makes me reasonably happy. Not that I'm all that thrilled to be in a dorm room again, but at least I'm getting my school on again.

Song playing in the background: D12 - "Revelation"

Song on deck: Stone Sour - "Bother"

Isaac Wilkins
01-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Extra workout today. I went to spot a friend, and goofed off a little myself. A small amount of recovery work for my chest/back, and some other little things.

Tuesday: Extra workout. 1:45 pm
Weight = 233.1

BB Bench (speed): 135x3, 135x3, 135x5

Neutral Grip Chins: x6
-Not to failure

Curl Grip Chins: 8.5

Alt DB Curls: 40x8.
-Easy.

Arnold Presses: 35x8, 50x6
-Easy, but I didn't have my wrist wraps. With the wrist injuries I've had, I don't do any heavy pressing without wraps.

Alt DB Curls (again): 50x5, 50x6
-Not to failure.

Cable Curls Dropset: 150x8 (stack :D ), 110x8, 80x8
-I must admit, I had a hellacious pump.

Yada yada. Just a goof off workout.

Isaac Wilkins
01-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Wednesday: Legs, 2:20 pm
Weight = 235

I came in super hydrated. Excellent. I went to the bathroom three times during a one hour workout. Not so excellent.

Squats: 255x8, 255x5ish, 135x8
-My form was all kinds of bad today. I stopped on my second set because I didn't have the bar well racked. I bumped it way down and did slow, below parallel reps.

Hack Squats: 3plates x 8, 3pl+5 x 9
-Nice set here.

SLDL: 135x8, 275x8, 295x6
-This wasn't to failure. I probably had a couple more, but I'm trying to ease into my lower back here after the time off.

Seated Calf Raises: 125x12, 125x12, 125x12
-Yeah, I did an extra set. I think I'll keep doing three sets.

Weighted Sit-up Machine Thingy: 140x20, 140x21.5
-Good God! I thought I was going to puke.

Overall it was a decent workout. I lifted with a friend of mine who I haven't lifted with in a while, which was chill. He's a good lifter, and similar to me in size. It was a slow workout, though. I'm going to have to speed him up a little if we're going to keep lifting together.

I'm thinking of switching to a 5x5 squat routine so as to help with my form. We'll see.

Other items of interest: Eh. Nothing big going on.

Song playing in the background: Jay-Z f Freeway - "8 Miles and Runnin'"

Song on deck: ARP f Bounty Killah - "Evil of Your Mind"

Isaac Wilkins
01-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Friday: Shoulders and Arms, 12:30pm
Weight = 235.8

Seated BB Military Press: 145x8, 155x6
-I need to start getting a regular spotter for these.

Bent-over DB Laterals: 50x8, 50x9
-Excellent burn here.

Close-grip Bench Press: 185x8, 205x7
-Again, a spotter would be nice. Otherwise this was a pretty good set. There's no way I'd have made eight reps without a spot.

Skulls: 95x8, 75x10
-I'm still trying to get in to the comfort zone with these. The heavy set didn't feel particularly good, so I bumped it down to get clean reps.

EZ-Curls: 105x8, 125x3.5
-I went with the slow negative on the heavy set again. Eh. I'm not sure what I like.

Hammer Curls: 50x8, left arm 30xI don't remember dropset.

Overhead Curls: 85x9.5

Wrist Curls: 85x11.5

Not a bad workout. I didn't feel particularly strong, but not horrible, either. I'm looking forward to next week's workouts. I'm going to bump weight up and shoot for closer to six reps in almost all sets.

Other items of interest: I was able to hang out with a couple of my coworkers from the summer who I truly enjoy last night! One of them had driven from Kentucky for a visit. Outstanding.

On another note, I watched Ronnie Coleman's video - "The Unbelievable" on Thursday. Wow. I belive someone (Big Chasey Chase?) wrote something to the effect: "Don't watch it for training info, only watch it if you want to be awed". True. The man throws some amazing weight. The man also has some of the scariest technique I've ever seen. I hope there aren't many newbies watching the vid and trying to do exercises "like Ronnie does". Gawd. I could continue to poke fun at many aspects of the video, but I don't want to go in to it. "Yeeeeah, buddy! Light weight, light weight! Yeeep!" :D

Song playing in the background: Nine Inch Nails - "That's What I Get"

Song on deck: Dry Cell - "Body Crumbles"

Isaac Wilkins
01-13-2003, 04:13 PM

I generally felt crappy in the gym today. From the moment I started warming up to a couple of hours after I left, I felt like I was going to puke. Very uncool.

Monday: Chest and Back, 11:45am
Weight = 235.4

Flat DB Bench: 60x10, 90x6, 95x5
-I didn't really feel strong and in control on this exercise (or any of the other's, I found out). I've decided to go down to six reps as the target range for a few weeks, as opposed to being closer to eight.

Incline DB Bench: 70x6, 75x7
-Blah. This burnt up the pecs nicely.

Dips: x8, x6
-Eh. I'm going for 2x10 eventually. Then I'll add weight. My pecs are usually pretty well fried by the time I get here.

V-Bar Pulldowns: 190x6, 210x5.5
-This felt pretty good. Nice contraction of the lats.

BB Rows: 215x6, 215x7
-The first set tweaked my lower back a little. It went away right afterwards, but it felt funny. There's definitely something wrong there, I keep getting these little tweaks. I don't want to go get cut, though.

:mad:

V-Grip Cable Rows: 160x6, 200x7
-These were a nice finisher. I felt like I was going to puke all over the place by this point, so I called it a day. :eek:

Other items of interest: I got a little somewhere today with the Kinesiology department at school. Excellent. I might get a decent schedule worked out after all.

Song playing in the background: Cherry Poppin' Daddies - "Dirty Mutha Fuzz"

Song on deck: Cherry Poppin' Daddies - "You Better Move"

Isaac Wilkins
01-15-2003, 09:00 PM
*sigh* The gym closed early tonight. I've been in training all day, looking forward to my leg workout, then the gym closes! I was able to get in for like 10 minutes.

Wednesday: Legs, 6:45pm
Weight = 236.4

Squats: 185x5, 185x5, 185x5
-Not close to failure. I was just trying to get some technique going on here. Very deep and slow.

SLDL: 135x8, 275x8
-Again, not to failure. I wasn't feeling warmed up, though.

That's it.

Other items of interest: Training sucks.

Song playing in the background: D12 - "Fight Music"

Song on deck: Sting - "Desert Rose"

Isaac Wilkins
01-16-2003, 06:41 PM
Late day. RA training (alluded to in the previous post) sucks. Just plain sucks. :swear:

I hit up another gym on campus for a quick deadlift session. I basically goofed off, trying to get my form back.

Thursday: Deadlifts. 6:00pm
Weight = No scale.

Deadlifts: 135x6, 225x6, 315x2, 365x2
-Not to failure. Not close to failure. I really focused on my technique and just enjoyed myself. I could have done 10 reps on 315 easily (well, I probably would have run out of breath).

:D

Front Squats: 135x3, 135x3, 135x3, 45x5
-I really didn't feel these at all. I was just trying to get the motion down and develop a comfortable racking point. Once I feel comfortable balancing the weight, I think I'll like this exercise.

Lots of curls, pullovers, and such. I just pumped some stuff out here for several sets.

Other items of interest:

Song playing in the background: Stabbing Westward - "Happy"

Song on deck: Stabbing Westward - "The Only Thing"

xraygirl
01-16-2003, 07:45 PM
Stabbing Westward...good choice! :thumbup:

Isaac Wilkins
01-25-2003, 08:00 PM
Stabbing Westward...good choice! :thumbup:

Ah, finally someone with some class on this board. ;)

:thumbup:

Isaac Wilkins
01-25-2003, 08:12 PM
Ok, I have lifted this past week, I just haven't posted. I blame this on a combination of my laziness and the site being a little messed. Mostly me, though.

I'll do a quick jobbie on the past workouts, with my cute little format being reserved only for the latest.

I'm now using a 5x5 program based on something I picked up from another board. I'll post the whole thing in a bit. It'll be higher volume than I have done lately, but here's the reasoning: I'm back in school and taking a light semester. Basically I'm eating, sleeping, and lifting. I can handle the extra recovery time. I've also found a couple of young ladies that seem willing to massage me on occasion. :hump:

My mother is a LMT, so I give better massages than they do, but they're learning.

PS I'm also bulking.

1/20: Monday: Chest + Shoulders, 2:45pm

Warmup BB Bench: 135x10

Flat BB Bench: 205x5, 205x5, 205x5, 205x5, 205x5
-Not bad. I felt strong, though my bar speed was slow.

Incline DB Bench: 70x6, 75x8
-*shrug* A decent pair of sets.

Incline Flyes: 45x6, 45x7
-I was just going for a nice, slow stretch here. My pecs were pretty fried by this time.

BB Military Press: 135x8, 135x6.5
-I'm going lighter here now that I'm following chest as opposed to starting with these.

DB Lateral Raises: 25x8, 25x7.5
-Slow, perfect form. No Ronnie Coleman rock for me. ;)

Bent-over Lateral Raises: 50x8, 50x9
-Ho hum.

Weighted Sit-up Ab Machine Thingy: 150x20, 150x18.5
-Gawd. I thought I was going to die.

Overall a very intense workout. My left shoulder (the oft-injured one) was stinging a little bit. We'll see how this goes.

Isaac Wilkins
01-25-2003, 08:15 PM
01/21: Tuesday: Back, 4:15pm
Weight = 235.9

V-Grip Pulldowns: 190x6, 210x6.5

BB Bent-over Rows: 215x6, 215x8.75
-These felt really good. My lower back felt a little tweaky, as usual lately.

V-Bar Cable Rows: 180x6, 200x7.5
-Nice slow pull here.

BB Shrugs: 255x12
-Ho hum.

Hyperextentions: +45x11, +45x12
-My lower back was really burnt up here, in a good way.

Overall an excellent workout, but I may add another exercise... I don't know. Any thoughts?

Isaac Wilkins
01-25-2003, 08:18 PM
01/23: Thursday: Legs, 5:00pm
Weight = 236.8

Squats: 205x5, 205x5, 205x5, 205x5, 205x5
-As close to ATF as I get. Super deep, excellent squats. My form felt dead on today!

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: 245x5, 245x5, 245x5, 245x5, 245x5
-Good sets! I felt ready to leave after these. :D

Hack Squats: 2plx10, 2plx11
-I was done by the end of these. I was going for higher reps/slow contraction.

Seated Calf Raises: 150x10, 150x10, 150x12.5

Great leg workout! I ran out of time before my meeting for abs. :(

I ended up doing some abs in my room, but I didn't log them.

Isaac Wilkins
01-25-2003, 08:30 PM
01/24: Friday: Arms, 5:05pm
Weight = N/A

I was at a different gym, with very few choices of equipment.

Close-grip Bench Press: 185x6, 205x6

Dips: x8, x11.5

BB Curls: 105x5, 105x5, 105x5, 105x5, 105x5
-*yawn*

Wrist Curls: 95x12, 75x23 (I think? I kind of stopped counting).

I goofed off and did a few random sets of some other exercises, too, but that's about it.

Other items of interest: Well, the first week of classes is down. My E-Commerce class should be pretty cool. I get to work with a local small business as a consultant to get them web-ready. That should be a good learning experience, and overall just plain interesting.

*sigh* I'm so not impressed with being on duty tonight. Quite a few of you are either in college or have been college students. Were any of you RA's? If so, you feel my pain. While I enjoy my residents, they're mostly athletes (Football and Hockey). This is great, except for Saturday nights when I'm on duty. I will spend all night chasing them down, breaking up their parties, documenting their damage, etc. :mad:
At least I have the kind of relationship with them where "the look" does the job. Then the apologies start. :D

Sometimes being a big, dark goth that plays some football himself has its advantages.

Song playing in the background: Depeche Mode - "Enjoy the Silence"

Song on deck: Alicia Keys f Busta Rhymes and Rampage - "Falling (Remix)"

Isaac Wilkins
01-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Monday: Chest and Shoulders, 5:00pm
Weight = 235.7

Warmup BB Bench: 135x8

Flat BB Bench: 210x5, 210x5, 210x5, 210x5, 210x4
-My spotter was AWOL today, so I stopped at 4. I could have gotten it, I'm sure, so I'll bump next week.

Incline DB Bench: 75x6, 80x5.5
-Nice sets here. Again, with a spotter, I would have been able to snag a forced rep.

Incline Flyes: 45x6, 45x4.5
-Nada. Badness. Just plain not there.

BB Military Press: 140x6, 140x6
-My back was arching a little, I'll leave it here for a week.

Lateral Raises: 25x8, 25x6.75
-My shoulder was stinging like a bahstad by this time.

Bent-over Lateral Raises: 50x8, 50x9
-Ho hum.

Weighted Sit-up Ab Machine Thingy: 150x20, 150x20.5
-Damn! BURNT.

Overall it was a decent workout. My lack of lifting partner is pissing me off.

Other items of interest: Go Bucs. Unch unch unch. Nothing else interesting at the moment.

Song playing in the background: Pharoahe Monch and MOP - "No Mercy"

Song on deck: Alice in Chains - "We Die Young"

Isaac Wilkins
01-27-2003, 04:28 PM
Ok, I'm posting the new routine I'm on. I've upped the volume from my normal routine as I have more time now. I'm back in school with a light semester. All I'm really doing is eating, sleeping, and lifting. My shoulder is about 90%, as is my lower back. I'll start hammering until like March, then I'll cut. I think I'll keep basically the same routine while I cut after a month of a CKD.

Day 1: Chest + Shoulders

Flat BB Bench Press: 5x5
Incline DB Press: 2x6
Incline Flyes: 2x8

BB Military Press: 2x6
Lateral Raises: 2x8
Bent-over Raises: 2x8

Day 2: Back

V-Grip Pulldowns: 2x6
BB Rows: 2x6
V-Bar Cable Rows: 2x6
BB Shrugs: 1x10
Hyperextentions: 2x10

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Legs

Squats: 5x5
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: 5x5
Hack Squats: 2x10
Calves (either seated or standing): 3x10

Day 5: Arms

Close-grip Bench Press: 2x6
Skullcrushers: 2x6

BB Curls: 5x5
Hammer Curls: 1x8

Overhand Curls: 1x8
Wrist Curls: 1x8

Day 6: Rest

Day 7: Weekly alternate rest and:

Deadlifts: Pyramid weight for about five sets to heavy single or double.

Clean and Jerks: 3x3

Front Squats: 3x3

There it is. Let me know if any of you have some input.

Isaac Wilkins
01-28-2003, 05:37 PM
Tuesday: Back, 4:25pm
Weight = 238.0

V-Grip Pulldowns: 200x6, 220x6.5
-Nice sets here. I didn't feel too into the workout walking to the gym, but these felt great and set an awesome tone for the workout.

BB Rows: 225x6, 225x8.75
-Spectacular! Nice, strong sets. The last one was more of a full-body row, but otherwise form was great.

;)

V-Bar Cable Rows: 190x6, 210x6.5
-Again, the lats were feeling good by this time. I was feeling the stretch at the bottom.

BB Shrugs: 265x13.5
-*Yawn* Good, I suppose.

Hyperextentions: +50x10, +50x13
-These didn't feel as tight as last week. The last couple of reps were burners, though.

Strong, quick workout today. The gym was busy, but I didn't really have to wait around for much. My workout partner was reasonably focused, too, which was good. Less than 40 minutes from start to finish.

Song playing in the background: Scarface - "Look Me in My Eyes"

Song on deck: Sugarcult - "Pretty Girl"

ericg
01-29-2003, 10:27 AM
Nice strength man, just read all your journal - enjoyable!

Isaac Wilkins
01-30-2003, 04:04 PM
ericg: Thanks for stopping by! I don't know if I'd consider my strength to be all that great, but I'm getting there.

Shortened gym session today. I had to meet this girl to help her out, and my moron lifting partner was late. This kid is starting to piss me off. :mad:

Thursday: Legs, 5:00pm
Weight = 236.0

Squats: 210x5, 210x5, 210x5, 210x5, 210x5
-Squat form was excellent again today. Rock bottom, baby.

Stiff-legged Deadlifts: 250x5, 250x5, 250x5, 250x5, 250x5
-Have I mentioned that I do these on a platform? I go like three inches below floor level with this weight. Either way, these felt good. My lower back was pounded! I don't feel these in my hams when I'm doing them, but I certainly feel them the next day (and day after... and day after...) so I know they're getting hit.

Now that I've been bulking, I've been hitting like 3,500-4,000 cals every day, with more carbs than usual (around 270-300g of protein, maybe 350-400g carbs). I'm feeling good, I'm actually looking leaner, and I weighed less today. Hm... You know what that means... I'd managed to deplete myself without realizing it. :mad:

Other items of interest: In the pursuit of higher calories, I'm planning to go out and get my drink on a little tonight. :D Yeah, higher cals, that's the goal... :p

Song playing in the background: Mudvayne - "Not Falling"

Song on deck: Air French Club - "Sexy Boy"

ericg
01-31-2003, 08:33 AM
Do you round your back at all while doins the SLDLs?

Isaac Wilkins
01-31-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by ericg
Do you round your back at all while doins the SLDLs?

Just a touch towards the end. It's intentional. I do these as a lower back exercise as well. I have good hamstring flexablility anyway, I can go below floor level with a straight back.

Isaac Wilkins
01-31-2003, 04:02 PM
Friday: Arms, 3:30pm
Weight = N/A

Close-grip Bench Press: 185x6, 205x6
-Not to failure, though it was starting to burn a little.

JM Presses: 65x12, 85x8
-Also not to failure. I'm starting to get the hang of this exercise, though. I look forward to doing heavier weights!

Dips: x6, x8
-Bonked! Nada on dips today. :mad:

BB Curls: 110x5, 110x5, 110x5, 110x5, 110x5
-*Yawn* Decent sets, I guess, but I could have done more. Next week.

Wrist Curls: 95x9
-Very strict form. My forearms were a'hurtin'.

Reverse Wrist Curls: 45x12
-I haven't done these in years, but the gym I was at didn't have an EZ-Curl bar. Without that, I don't do overhand curls. They're too much on my wrists, and that makes me unhappy.

Overall, it was a decent workout, but intensity could have been better. We had a third lifter with us, and it just took longer. It was a fun time, though.

Other items of interest: My NSCA-CPT info came today! I am a happy boy! Much studying ahead.

Song playing in the background: Evanescence - "Haunted"

Song on deck: KRS-One - "Hot"

Isaac Wilkins
02-02-2003, 02:28 PM
Sunday: Deadlift day! :clap:

Weight = N/A

2:30pm

Deadlifts: 135x6, 225x6, 315x2, 365x1, 385x1, 405x1
-Yeeah, buddy! I haven't pulled four bills since I hurt my back. Nice. It felt pretty good, too. A little too much of a stiff-leg, but it went up pretty well.

Clean & Jerk: 135x3, 135x3, 135x3
-I'm trying these out. Gawd, they were fun. I'm looking forward to more explosive stuff.

Front Squats: 135x5, 135x5, 135x5, 135x5, 135x3
-Not hard at all weight-wise. The last set rolled a little off my shoulder, so I let that end it.

Decline crunches: x29
-Eh. Abs. Eh.

Awesome workout! Very fun indeed!

Other items of interest: WHOMP.

Song playing in the background: Full Devil Jacket - "Now You Know"

Song on deck: Pharoahe Monch - "Rape"

Isaac Wilkins
02-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Monday: Chest + Shoulders, 4:00pm
Weight = 237.5

Warmup BB Flat Bench: 135x8

Flat BB Bench: 215x5, 215x5, 215x5, 215x5, 215x5
-This went up pretty well. I felt strong.

Incline DB Bench: 75x6, 80x8
-Like buttah! I felt very strong on these today.

Incline Flyes: 45x6, 45x10
-Three for three! Chest day went right on by today. :D

BB Military Press: 140x6, 140x7.5
-These were good. I did a much better job keeping my back on the rest rather than bowing it out.

Lateral Raises: 25x8, 25x6.5
-Damn, these really sting up my shoulder.

Bent-over Lateral Raises: 50x8, 50x10
-The pump in my rear delts was obscene. Granted, most everything I do ends up being obscene, but this was different. :D

Generally a good workout. Good timing and excellent strength!

Other items of interest: Blah. Studying for the CPT exam.

Song playing in the background: Wu Tang Clan - "La Rumba"

Song on deck: Blackalicious f DJ Shadow - "Swan Lake"

ericg
02-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Sweet dead man! Nice work.

Seems like you use the 5x5 on the main compount movements - how do you like it?

Isaac Wilkins
02-04-2003, 08:09 AM
Sweet dead man! Nice work.

Seems like you use the 5x5 on the main compount movements - how do you like it?

Thanks!

I like it so far. We'll see where I start leveling off. If it happens soon, then I won't like it. ;)

I posted the entire routine a ways up there somewhere.

The only thing that I'm a little concerned about is lower back recovery. I hit it on back day, quite hard on leg day, then every other weekend I do heavy deads. It's a weak bodypart for me, so I'm trying to bring it up. We'll see if it holds up under the punishment here.

JustinF
02-04-2003, 08:45 AM
Damn, agreed. Hella good deadlift bro.

Isaac Wilkins
02-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks for stopping by, guys!

Tuesday: Back, 4:05pm
Weight = 239.9 :eek:

V-Grip Pulldowns: 210x6, 230x6.5
-Excellent. This woke up the lats nicely.

BB Rows: 235x6, 235x9.5
-I felt very strong here. The back was nicely roached, and I hit more reps then I was thinking of.

V-Bar Cable Rows: 200x6, 220x7.5
-Gasp. I thought I was gonna die here on the last rep.

DB Shrugs: 100x13, 100x11
-Some moron was curling on the platform today, so I hit the dumbbells. My gym also only goes up to 100's.

Hyperextentions: +55x10, +55x13
-Nice hyperextentions today. My lower back felt quite the pump, which is an interesting feeling. This lower back of mine is going to get stronger if it's the last thing I do.

Other items of interest: Hotties in the gym = Many. :thumbup: Times Big 'ol Borris hit on a hottie as opposed to getting on with his workout: 0. Hmm... I don't know how to rate that.

Song playing in the background: Alice in Chains - "Love, Hate, Love"

Song on deck: Alice in Chains - "It Ain't Like That"

ericg
02-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Sweet rowin' all around man!! Nice work. You dont find seated cable rows and BO BB rows to be about the same??

Isaac Wilkins
02-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Sweet rowin' all around man!! Nice work. You dont find seated cable rows and BO BB rows to be about the same??

Yeah, I just like the cables as a finisher. I find that I can get a slower, more controlled stretch. After ripping it up with a couple of sets of BB rows, the cables finish me off!

I also like one-armed DB rows for the same thing, because of the nice stretch at the bottom.

ericg
02-06-2003, 10:27 AM
Nice reasoning! I find it easier to keep form on the seated cable rows compared to the BO DB/BB rows - good way to really finish off the lats. :thumbup:

Isaac Wilkins
02-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Thursday: Legs, 4:30pm
Weight = 237.5

Squats: 215x5, 215x5, 215x5, 215x5, 215x5
-This very low squat thing is frickin sweet!

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: 255x5, 255x5, 255x5, 255x5, 255x5
-Yeeah, buddy! Like a joke.

Hack Squats: 2pl+5x10, 2pl+5x10
-Eh.

Seated Calf Raises: 155x10, 155x10, 155x12.5
-These were a b!tch! I ground these bad boys out.

Weighted Sit-up Machine Ab Thingy: 150x20, 150x21.5
-*gasp*

Man, I felt like crap starting the workout. It ended up being pretty good, though.

Other items of interest: Nada.

Song playing in the background: Alice in Chains - "Sea of Sorrow"

Song on deck: Alice in Chains - "Bleed the Freak"

Man, I just can't seem to get Alice in Chains - Facelift off my playlist.

xraygirl
02-06-2003, 09:27 PM
Times Big 'ol Borris hit on a hottie as opposed to getting on with his workout: 0. Hmm... I don't know how to rate that.
Good for you!

This very low squat thing is frickin sweet!
:withstupi

Man, I just can't seem to get Alice in Chains - Facelift off my playlist.
Yep, I've noticed.

Isaac Wilkins
02-06-2003, 09:31 PM

Good for you!

:withstupi

Yep, I've noticed.

I'm glad someone approves of my efforts. :D

Do you approve of the Facelift or not? Anyone who has commented twice on my music selection is coming dangerously close to entering a music discussion with me. ;)

WillKuenzel
02-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Nice squating man. Are you going full ATF or just below parallel?

Oh and I'm liking your taste in music. Do you like any of Jerry Cantrell's new stuff or do you just stick with Alice in Chains?

Isaac Wilkins
02-06-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by HomeYield
Nice squating man. Are you going full ATF or just below parallel?

Oh and I'm liking your taste in music. Do you like any of Jerry Cantrell's new stuff or do you just stick with Alice in Chains?

Pretty much ATF, for me anyway. I go as low as my flexibility will handle. A couple of inches below parallel. I used to squat much heavier weight, and ended up not even hitting parallel. :rolleyes: Now that I'm doing it this way I feel much stronger/explosive/more of a man.

I like both, actually. Cantrell does pretty well on his own, but I'm an AIC fan from way back. I haven't listened to Cantrell's brand new stuff as much, but his first solo tracks were good ("Cut You In", etc).

I listen to a lot of heavier stuff, too, it just doesn't seem to come out on the journal list. Honkeyball, 25 ta Life...

Of course, I also love Marvin Gaye, Sinatra, and Portishead. :D

xraygirl
02-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Yes I approve.
One of the yuck-foo things about being here is no good music stations!!! I have absolutely no idea what is new and cool in the states. Since I'm a music over TV person, this is really annoying. But...I go back stateside in Aug! Can't wait!

Isaac Wilkins
02-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Yes I approve.
One of the yuck-foo things about being here is no good music stations!!! I have absolutely no idea what is new and cool in the states. Since I'm a music over TV person, this is really annoying. But...I go back stateside in Aug! Can't wait!

That's rough! I have to have my music. :cry:

How's your connection speed? Perhaps an online radio station?

xraygirl
02-06-2003, 10:25 PM
That's fine when I'm at home, but they have issues with it at work. Frustrating. I bring CDs into work.
BTW, I love Marvin Gaye. Sinatra's all right. His older stuff. Sam Cooke rules! So does what I call the OD3. Joplin, Hendrix, and Morrison (the doors)

ericg
02-07-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by xraygirl ]That's fine when I'm at home, but they have issues with it at work. Frustrating. I bring CDs into work.
BTW, I love Marvin Gaye. Sinatra's all right. His older stuff. Sam Cooke rules! So does what I call the OD3. Joplin, Hendrix, and Morrison (the doors)

Im with ya on Gaye.

borris - Nice stiffy man! ATF squats is da shiznick.

JustinF
02-07-2003, 06:35 AM

Pretty much ATF, for me anyway. I go as low as my flexibility will handle. A couple of inches below parallel. I used to squat much heavier weight, and ended up not even hitting parallel. :rolleyes: Now that I'm doing it this way I feel much stronger/explosive/more of a man.

I'm with ya there bro. I just lowered the weight on my squat to go lower. I was probably not even getting to parallel with the heavy weights. I like it ALOT better, and feel it much more too. Keep up the good work.

Isaac Wilkins
02-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Friday: Arms, 3:30pm
Weight = N/A

Close-grip Bench: 135x8, 205x6, 205x6.5
-After a warmup set, we decided just to hit a couple of heavy sets. I kind of like that.

JM Presses: 85x8, 105x9
-Hm. Good stuff.

BB Curls: 115x5, 115x5, 115x5, 115x5, 115x6
-Inching up there, baby.

Chins: x6
Dips: x8
Chins: x4.5
Dips: x8.5
-Whoo! Not supersetted, but there wasn't a whole lot of rest. My arms were finished off!

Other items of interest: FRIDAY! I have too much studying to do this weekend, but I'll find some time to get in trouble, never fear!

Song playing in the background: TLC - "Girl Talk", :eek: :p

Song on deck: Kidney Thieves - "Before I'm Dead"

Isaac Wilkins
02-10-2003, 07:00 PM
Gawd, I don't know why I'm bothering to post this. I was absolutely useless in the gym today. This weekend was ROUGH. I drank late on Friday night, then Saturday night I literally drank until 5:00 Sunday morning. Then I worked at 3:00pm on Sunday. It is now the day after the day after and I have a level 2 hangover from that hangover rating system posted in another thread. I'm retaining water, feeling disconnected...

Monday: Chest, 4:00pm
Weight = 242.4 :eek: Water RETENTION!!!

Warmup BB Bench: 135x10, 185x6

Flat BB Bench Press: 220x5, 220x5, 220x5, 220x3.5, 220x3.5
-:mad: :mad: :mad: I just felt like CRAP.

Incline DB Press: 80x6, 85x5.5
-*Yawn*

Incline Flyes: 50x6, 45x6
-*Yawn* again.

Other items of interest: Nada

Song playing in the background: 50 Cent - "High All the Time"

Song on deck: 50 Cent - "Heat"

xraygirl
02-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Gads boy! What were you thinking??? I usually sit in a sauna and sweat it out, but one has to have a good masochism streak to do something like that. Sorry, no good recommendations for you other than take a shower, 800 mg of Motrin and hit the hay.

Isaac Wilkins
02-10-2003, 09:39 PM
I don't think there was a whole lot of thought going on, I'm afraid. What started out as a nice night at Margarita's ended up being a long string of "it seemed like a good idea at the time" moments. :(

It's all good, I guess. I'll feel better someday. :D

xraygirl
02-10-2003, 09:46 PM
I don't think there was a whole lot of thought going on, I'm afraid.
Naah...you think? j/k

What started out as a nice night at Margarita's ended up being a long string of "it seemed like a good idea at the time" moments. :(
I'm trying not to laugh, but I can't help it.

Have you heard the Zwan cd yet? It's fronted by the Corgan guy from the Smashing Pumpkins. Anyway, picked it up during my lunch hour. It's not that bad.

Isaac Wilkins
02-10-2003, 10:04 PM

Naah...you think? j/k

I'm trying not to laugh, but I can't help it.

Have you heard the Zwan cd yet? It's fronted by the Corgan guy from the Smashing Pumpkins. Anyway, picked it up during my lunch hour. It's not that bad.

Meanie. :cry: :D

I've heard a track released from it. I don't remember much about it, other than thinking "That's pretty good".

I've noticed that you and Powerman were discussing Evanescence. I've heard four or five tracks from them. Much like PMan, I'm intrigued by the vocals and power riffs. Not bad.

I'm a huge fan of ice queen-esque vocals with powerful music. Have you heard of Midnight Configuration? They're a goth/darkwave/industrial combo. It's hard to describe, but hardcore.

Edit: Not hardcore. Gothcore.

xraygirl
02-10-2003, 10:33 PM
Nope, I'll have to check it out though. My problem is that I like so many different types of music. Could easily go broke buying cd's. Maybe I should start doing the Kazaa thing.
Talking about things that make you go "huh?"...the base has a policy on playing music in vehicles. Somebody standing outside shouldn't be able to hear what you're playing if your windows are up and from 10 feet away if the windows are down. So 2 weeks ago, they had an security police officer checking cars leaving the base to make sure that their radios/cd players weren't too loud. Just in case they don't have enough to do.

Franjipani
02-10-2003, 10:41 PM
This weekend was ROUGH. I drank late on Friday night, then Saturday night I literally drank until 5:00 Sunday morning. Then I worked at 3:00pm on Sunday. It is now the day after the day after and I have a level 2 hangover from that hangover rating system posted in another thread. I'm retaining water, feeling disconnected..

*LMAO*

You funny !!

Hats off to ya for getting to the gym whilst you were feeling under the weather....now THATS dedication ;).

WillKuenzel
02-10-2003, 10:47 PM
Have you heard of the band Drain? They're a heavy girl band with some nice vocals. Not like Kittie where they scream but the girls from Drain sing. Not quite the same caliber as Evanescence but still good.

Isaac Wilkins
02-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by HomeYield
Have you heard of the band Drain? They're a heavy girl band with some nice vocals. Not like Kittie where they scream but the girls from Drain sing. Not quite the same caliber as Evanescence but still good.

Drain that was once Drain STH? Fantfrickentastic. True, not the amazing vocal ability as a the girl from Evanescence, but still amazing in a more old school metal fashion.

The disk "Horror Wrestling" by Drain STH is a classic.

Isaac Wilkins
02-10-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Franjipani

*LMAO*

You funny !!

Hats off to ya for getting to the gym whilst you were feeling under the weather....now THATS dedication ;).

See, someone's giving me some props! :)

"You funny" is literally how I was speaking during my staff meeting yesterday.

Except that it was more like: "You stupid", "Head bad", and "Smell baaaaad". ;)

Isaac Wilkins
02-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Nope, I'll have to check it out though. My problem is that I like so many different types of music. Could easily go broke buying cd's. Maybe I should start doing the Kazaa thing.
Talking about things that make you go "huh?"...the base has a policy on playing music in vehicles. Somebody standing outside shouldn't be able to hear what you're playing if your windows are up and from 10 feet away if the windows are down. So 2 weeks ago, they had an security police officer checking cars leaving the base to make sure that their radios/cd players weren't too loud. Just in case they don't have enough to do.

I see. So what did you do at work today, Carl? (since you're in the military: "Anderson") "I honestly don't know..."

;)

xraygirl
02-10-2003, 11:15 PM
Well they pulled one of my troops a couple of weeks ago to do one of those 60 day assistance things because...get this...they don't have enough people. Can't imagine why :confused:

Isaac Wilkins
02-10-2003, 11:24 PM
Well they pulled one of my troops a couple of weeks ago to do one of those 60 day assistance things because...get this...they don't have enough people. Can't imagine why :confused:

Awesome. ;)

They actually do the same thing in the business world (stealing employees for projects, etc). :rolleyes:

xraygirl
02-10-2003, 11:33 PM
Cool! The Air Force has gone corporate!

ericg
02-11-2003, 06:22 AM
Nothing like a good ole carb load day!! Nice job ;)

Isaac Wilkins
02-11-2003, 10:52 AM
Nothing like a good ole carb load day!! Nice job ;)

And you know this, man! ;)

Isaac Wilkins
02-11-2003, 10:55 PM
Tuesday: Back, 4:45pm
Weight = 241.2

Neutral-grip Chins: x6
-Warmup set here. I was bored waiting for the pulldown cables to open up. Not to failure.

V-Grip Pulldowns: 220x6, 240x5.5
-Nice set here. I'm going to be here for another week, but I'll be bumping soon.

BB Rows: 245x6, 245x8
-These felt pretty strong. I was able to exceed rep goals again.

V-Bar Cable Rows (Wide grip): 210x6, 230x5.5
-I couldn't use the usual grip I'd like, as that attachment was in use. This was about a foot wider, which changed the way the exercise felt. It still hit my lats pretty hard, though.

DB Shrugs: 100x14, 100x12
-Again, some little punk was CURLING on my platform using ten on a side with bad form. :mad: DB's it was.

Hyperextentions: +55x12, +55x13
-NICE sets. The lower back felt nicely burnt.

Overall a much better workout than yesterday. :D I'm still retaining some water, but I'm feeling better.

Other items of interest: I'm so annoyed sometimes.

In other news, some freshman girl has apparently taking quite the fancy to me. She's a friend of one of my friends. :rolleyes: I'm too young to be a dirty old man, but too old for that. If she acted even her age, maybe, but she's younger than that. tuttut

Song playing in the background: Foreigner - "I've been Waiting for a Girl Like You" :cool:

Song on deck: Pink - "Hell Wit' Ya"

Hm... I guess my random playlist must be working on my mood.

WillKuenzel
02-12-2003, 12:20 AM
Nice back session. You's a strong fella!

LOL @ your playlist and scenario combination. It must be trying to tell ya something, one way or another.

xraygirl
02-12-2003, 04:02 AM
Did the guy doing curls know that it was your platform? :D
LMAO @ the playlist. Mainly because the same thing was happening to me today.

ericg
02-12-2003, 06:38 AM
Nice rowing man. Great overall back day. :thumbup:

To bad that gals maturity level is on E.

Isaac Wilkins
02-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the kind words, folks.

HomeYield: Yeah, the playlist was working on me. I have like 900 songs on it, and the next three or four were along that vein.

xraygirl: I think he got the hint when I picked up my journal which I'd dropped next to the platform, grumbling. This is after I'd waited for him a while, then decided to go use the DB's. I don't want to profess to have enormous arms, but I think he was about as big as one of mine. :mad: I have no problem with a smaller person being in the gym. That's awesome. I DO have a problem with them a)wasting my time by using a squat rack or platform for curls or something else stupid, and b)Using bad, Ricky Martin-esque hip thrusting technique, then wandering around with their lower back pump going on like I should be impressed. For crying out loud, deez nutz! :swear:

Ericg: No doubt. While not unattractive, she's just obnoxious.

<rant>
I just realized that I'm turning in to an old man. I used to be all about the hookup, which was fun. I still enjoy the random hookup. However, I've also had a couple of relationships that lasted quite a long time (2 years and 1 year). I'm almost 23, so these are long relationships for me. You know what? I really loved both of these girls. One REALLY didn't work out, and in the other one, life just got in the way. I still love both of them, regardless of whether I want to see them again (one I don't).

One thing I can say about the long relationships: They were awesome. There's no feeling, at least for me, like being with someone that you love. I don't throw the "L" word around lightly, either. I think that I lucked out by finding two so early.

Now, it seems that I can't find anyone that has the right match of intelligence, interests, willingness to be themselves, and attractiveness to enter a relationship with. Very frustrating. I keep getting more and more hookup opportunities, but I'm generally not feeling that anymore. :mad:

Hrmph.

</rant>

ericg
02-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Ericg: No doubt. While not unattractive, she's just obnoxious. <rant>
I just realized that I'm turning in to an old man. I used to be all about the hookup, which was fun. I still enjoy the random hookup. However, I've also had a couple of relationships that lasted quite a long time (2 years and 1 year). I'm almost 23, so these are long relationships for me. You know what? I really loved both of these girls. One REALLY didn't work out, and in the other one, life just got in the way. Regardless, I still love both of them, regardless of whether I want to see them again (one I don't).

One thing I can say about the long relationships: They were awesome. There's no feeling, at least for me, like being with someone that you love. I don't throw the "L" word around lightly, either. I think that I lucked out by finding two so early.

Now, it seems that I can't find anyone that has the right match of intelligence, interests, willingness to be themselves, and attractiveness to enter a relationship with. Very frustrating. I keep getting more and more hookup opportunities, but I'm generally not feeling that anymore. :mad:

Hrmph.

</rant>

Man ive been through the same thing. Yes, life just goes that way sometimes. You never know though.

I can totally relate to not being able to find the "right one". In the same shoes as you. Im not much into the hookups either - just feel to guilty after, i dunno

Isaac Wilkins
02-12-2003, 09:21 AM
No doubt. I know I'm not describing anything new to a lot of people. I'm all about segregation of stupid people. Life would be easier for me and them. :D

I don't know about guilt on the hookups, but I do find it boring and unfulfilling. They're fun for a while, then I need something interesting.

MonStar
02-12-2003, 10:26 AM
Hey Borris, with your v-bar cable rows that youre talking about, are those the Nautilus ones? That have like a pulldown station and seated row station together? I am just curious because 215 and 230 are both weights I use regularly on it.

Isaac Wilkins
02-12-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by MonStar
Hey Borris, with your v-bar cable rows that youre talking about, are those the Nautilus ones? That have like a pulldown station and seated row station together? I am just curious because 215 and 230 are both weights I use regularly on it.

Hm... It's a machine. You're horizontal with your feet on plates, the cable runs between your feet, and you pull up a stack. It's attached to a Nautilus like machine, though I don't think that's the company.

The pulldown and seated row stations are on the same machine, but they're not the same station.

It's basically a free cable pull.

xraygirl
02-12-2003, 04:18 PM
Using bad, Ricky Martin-esque hip thrusting technique, then wandering around with their lower back pump going on like I should be impressed. For crying out loud, deez nutz! :swear:
Ugh!

<rant>
I just realized that I'm turning in to an old man. I used to be all about the hookup, which was fun. I still enjoy the random hookup. However, I've also had a couple of relationships that lasted quite a long time (2 years and 1 year). I'm almost 23, so these are long relationships for me. You know what? I really loved both of these girls. One REALLY didn't work out, and in the other one, life just got in the way. I still love both of them, regardless of whether I want to see them again (one I don't).

Hrmph.

</rant>
Borris, you're only 22! Take this time to get your life together. This way, you will be able to devote more energy to maintaining a relationship later. And if you look for someone to be with, you'll find the wrong one. It's guaranteed. Relax, enjoy life and it will come together.

Isaac Wilkins
02-12-2003, 05:48 PM
You speak the truth. I'm just tired of floating right now. I guess I'm just bored. ;)

You're certainly right on the "looking" part. I'm not really looking, as that's a sure way to end up in trouble. I'm just sifting the waters a little.

ericg
02-13-2003, 07:46 AM
Ya, I have been told the same thing about looking. Great advice xraygirl

xraygirl
02-13-2003, 03:32 PM
I guess the wisdom of old age has its benefits. ;) Just wish someone gave me the same advice when I was your age. :(

Isaac Wilkins
02-13-2003, 04:55 PM
Thursday: Legs, 5:00pm
Weight = 237.5

Squats: 220x5, 220x5, 220x5, 220x5, 220x5
-Easy.

Stiff-legged Deadlifts: 260x5, 260x5, 260x5, 260x5, 260x5
-Not too shabby. The first couple of sets were jokes, but it was a little more stressful after that. ;)

Hack Squats: 2pl+10x10, 2pl+10x10
-All right. My quads were pretty burnt up here.

Seated Calf Raises: 155x10, 155x10, 155x18
-BOOM! ;) I just pounded these out today.

Weighted Sit-up Ab Machine Thingy: 160x20, 160x20.5
*gasp*

A very good workout was had!

Other items of interest: Erm.

Song playing in the background: Adema - "Pain Inside"

Song on deck: Dope - "Kimberly's Ghost"

Isaac Wilkins
02-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Friday: Arms, 4:15pm
Weight = N/A

Close-grip Bench Press: 135x8, 210x6, 210x8
-Yeeeeah, buddy! Spanked the close-grips today!

JM Presses: 115x8, 125x9.5
-Hmmm.... JM Presses? Still fun.

BB Curls: 120x5, 120x5, 120x5, 120x5, 120x5
-Whooooo! Borris was figgity done.

Chins: x6.5
Dips: x10.5
Chins: x3.5
Dips: x8.5
-Again, not quite a superset, but little rest.

Overall quite a good workout.

Other items of interest: I had 27 pounds of whey protein delivered to my door yesterday. You have no idea how hard it was not to roll around in it naked. tuttut

Song playing in the background: Papa Roach - "She Loves Me Not"

Song on deck: The Pietasters - "Maggie Mae" :D

Isaac Wilkins
02-16-2003, 03:48 PM
Sunday: Extra Workout, 3:30pm
Weight = N/A

Deadlifts: 135x6, 225x6, 315x2, 365x1, 385x1, 415x1
-Unch. Deads were good today.

Clean & Jerks: 145x3, 145x3, 145x3
-Yeeah, buddy! These are fun!

DB Deads: 65x8, 65x8
-Not to failure, but deep.

Decline Crunches: x27
-A little steeper than last week. Blah.

Overall a good workout.

Other items of interest: Nada.

Song playing in the background: 7Mary3 - "Water's Edge"

Song on deck: Outkast - "So Fresh and So Clean"

Franjipani
02-16-2003, 07:48 PM
Song playing in the background: Papa Roach - "She Loves Me Not"

Wow....that is soooooooooooo my favourite song at the moment:D :D.

Ohh and I agree with what xray said as well !! Another thing you may want to consider is that you always take the "you" into every relationship so perhaps you may want to nut that one out a bit more;)

btw...good work on the Deads :thumbup:

Isaac Wilkins
02-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

Wow....that is soooooooooooo my favourite song at the moment:D :D.

Ohh and I agree with what xray said as well !! Another thing you may want to consider is that you always take the "you" into every relationship so perhaps you may want to nut that one out a bit more;)

btw...good work on the Deads :thumbup:

Thanks for stopping by, Franji! Papa Roach is fun!

Exactly what do you mean by "nut that one out a bit more"? Figure myself out a little bit? I'm pretty figured out, but I'm trouble with your Aussie mumbo-jumbo. tuttut ;)

Isaac Wilkins
02-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Monday: Chest and Shoulders, 3:00pm
Weight = 240.2

Warmup Bench: 135x8, 185x6

BB Bench Press: 220x5, 220x5, 220x5, 220x5, 220x5
-Good bench today. I felt hella strong. It was a little slow, but the strength was certainly there.

Incline DB Bench: 80x6, 85x6.5
-Again, good sets.

Incline Flyes: 45x6, 45x8.5
-Yep.

BB Military Press: 145x6, 155x7.5
-Still feeling strong!

Lateral Raises: 25x8, 25x7.5
-The shoulder wasn't stinging too badly, amazingly!

Bent-over Lateral Raises: 50x10, 50x11
-*Yawn*

Good workout today! I felt very strong through the whole thing.

Next cycle I'll do some speed work for the bench, 'cause it needs it.

Other items of interest: Blarg.

Song playing in the background: Caroline Spine - "You and Me"

Song on deck: U2 - "One"

ericg
02-18-2003, 06:57 AM
NICE DL man. Benching is very sweet as well! Nice job bro....progression is ace!

Coke
02-18-2003, 09:24 AM
Glad to see your progress :thumbup: Anyone who likes Marvin Gaye can't be all bad. He was(is) one of the best singers ever.

Isaac Wilkins
02-18-2003, 11:11 AM
ericg: Thanks, man. This 5x5 routine is working great for me!

CoCoa: Thanks for stopping by! It doesn't get much better then good soul.

Isaac Wilkins
02-19-2003, 02:40 PM
I skipped back day yesterday, as I was up all night before that puking.

I felt better today. :cool:

Wednesday: Back, 3:30pm
Weight = 237.9

V-Grip Pulldowns: 140x8, 220x6, 240x6.5
-I felt cold going in, so I did a warmup set. Otherwise, these hit me pretty solidly.

Chins: x7.5
-I was waiting for the platform to open up. :mad:

BB Rows: 250x6, 250x7.5
-Woooh! I didn't feel as explosive, but still felt strong. The .5 rep was kind of grannied. ;)

V-Bar Cable Rows: 210x6, 230x6.5
-Awesome set!

BB Shrugs: 275x13.5
*Yawn*

Overall, a good workout!

Other items of interest: Studying, studying, studying...

Song playing in the background: Blackalicious - "Swan Lake"

Song on deck: Saves the Day: "Shoulder to the Wheel"

xraygirl
02-19-2003, 03:28 PM
I feel your pain! I spent my weekend with the puke-bug. Came to work Tuesday looking like I needed to be thrown in a body-bag and buried...quick! But by that afternoon I was almost back to normal.
Fun Factoid: You've gained 6lbs since you started this journal.

That is all...

Isaac Wilkins
02-19-2003, 06:15 PM
I feel your pain! I spent my weekend with the puke-bug. Came to work Tuesday looking like I needed to be thrown in a body-bag and buried...quick! But by that afternoon I was almost back to normal.
Fun Factoid: You've gained 6lbs since you started this journal.

That is all...

Not cool. Borris and xraygirl going pukey-pukey as GIS would say = Bad.

My weight has fluctuated quite a bit with water retention and what not, but it has been creeping up. I'm actually a little leaner now than when I started the journal. I tagged in at 14.9% bf last week.

xraygirl
02-19-2003, 07:52 PM
Pukey-pukey was seriously not fun. By Monday evening, I was reduced to handing my daughter some yen and told her to take her brother to McD's for dinner. Cooking was out.
I figured you would be leaner, or I wouldn't have mentioned it. Don't want to incur the wrath of 'da Borris ya know. ;)

Isaac Wilkins
02-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Pukey-pukey was seriously not fun. By Monday evening, I was reduced to handing my daughter some yen and told her to take her brother to McD's for dinner. Cooking was out.
I figured you would be leaner, or I wouldn't have mentioned it. Don't want to incur the wrath of 'da Borris ya know. ;)

That's rough: "Here's money... go... somewhere."

PS And you know this! ;)

ericg
02-20-2003, 06:30 AM
Glad you are better man. Had on hell of a WO to make up for it though! Nice rowing man.

Big & Tall
02-21-2003, 03:19 PM
:spam:

I figured you were in here somewhere, and I think it is time for me to get my journal started back up.

Sorry to hear that you have been sick (I heard that your partner in crime has been too.)

Anyway, keep up the lifting, it's looking ace.

Isaac Wilkins
02-21-2003, 06:24 PM
Oh sh!t, I've been spammed! :eek: Expect repercussions, Big & Tall!

Thanks for stopping by, man. Yeah, the sickness was not zippy. The ol' training partner's still recovering, but he's doing better.

Friday: Legs, 4:00pm
Weight = 239.2

Squats: 225x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5
-Nice, deep squats. Not as explosive as I usually like, but very strong.

Stiff-legged Deadlifts: 265x5, 265x5, 265x5
-These were going well, but I called it there. I was just about out of time, my lower back and right trap were acting a little funny.

:cry:

A short but very intense workout. I was in and out in about 20 minutes.

Other items of interest: NSCA-CPT exam tomorrow! Tomorrow is also arm day. I can feel vindicated in my curl-jockeyness. :cool:

Song playing in the background: 2 Live Crew - "Face Down, Ass Up" :D

Song on deck: Nine Inch Nails - "Terrible Lie"

Isaac Wilkins
02-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Yeah, so arm day didn't happen. This weekend was rough.

Anyway. The time to think about cutting has begun. :cry:

Starting on March 3rd, I will begin a CKD. This will go for at least four weeks, as an experiment. I'm going to be taking very meticulous notes, so as to have good information to pass along to my clients, etc. A couple of my friends are doing it also, with varying degrees of supplementation and whatnot.

Since I do no cardio now, I'm going to ease in to the the cardio this week, while lifting with my current schedule and eating heavily. When I go on the diet, the cardio will probably be slightly reduced from this week's amount.

Today I walked for an hour at a brisk pace. *Yawn*

Other items of interest: :mad:

Song playing in the background: Poe - "Hello (acoustic)"

Song on deck: Vast - "Pretty When You Cry" Love this song.

Isaac Wilkins
02-24-2003, 03:41 PM
Monday: Chest and Shoulders, 4:05pm
Weight: 238.2

Warmup BB Flat Bench: 135x8, 185x6

BB Flat Bench Press: 225x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x4.5, 225x3.5
- :mad: I should have smoked this. Grrr... Oh well, I'll smoke it next week.

DB Incline Press: 85x6, 90x5
-I had to use a different bench, on the other side of the gym. There were too many little curl jockies on the side with the DB's. This means I Farmer's Walked them across. Not happy. :mad:

Incline Flyes: 45x8, 45x10.5
-*Yawn*

BB Military Press: 155x5.5, 145x5.5
-By the time I got here I was done. The earlier sets were intense!

Lateral Raises: 30x6, 30x5.5
-I want to continue using the 25's for my shoulder, but because there were so many little f*cktards in the gym, there were no 25's for several minutes. :mad:

Bent-over Lateral Raises: 55x10, 55x9.5
-I'm done.

Other items of interest: :mad:

Song playing in the background: Juno Reactor - "Conga Fury"

Song on deck: Counting Crows: "Colorblind" Beautiful song.

Big & Tall
02-24-2003, 07:52 PM
I had to contend with quite a crowd tonight, too. It makes me soooooo mad when people take up equipment and don't do anything with it. We only have 2 decline barbell benches, and both were occupied for the whole time I needed them by guys talking and doing way too many half-a$$ sets. :swear:

And for the last time, the deadlift platform/cage is not a "curl station" nor a "pullup rack" :bash:

Also, if you would like, you have my support for introducing a world-wide gym-f**ktard beatdown policy.

Isaac Wilkins
02-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Dude, when I own my own gym (and I will), there will be a beatdown policy on the door.

Words cannot describe...

ericg
02-25-2003, 06:53 AM
Where do you want to open a gym?

Isaac Wilkins
02-25-2003, 07:52 AM
Where do you want to open a gym?

I don't know. It's a retirement thing, after my time in corporate. I'd assume where ever I decide to do my semi-retirement (40ish). Right now the middle Atlantic states are looking nice, but I really haven't really looked at them.

One of my exes wants me to move out to Olympia, WA to be with her. I don't think I will, but I may visit, in which case I'll look around that area.

Isaac Wilkins
02-25-2003, 04:10 PM
Tuesday: Back, 4:35pm
Weight = 239.5

V-Grip Pulldowns: 130x8, 230x6, 250x6.5
-Yeeeah! Strength was awesome!

BB Rows: 255x6, 255x8.5
-My lower back didn't like the first set, but the second set felt good.

V-Bar Cable Rows: 220x6, 240x7.5
-Decent set here. I was burning out towards the end. It had been an intense workout.

BB Shrugs: 285x17.5
-I stopped caring for absolute perfect form around thirteen and just beat my traps into submission.

Hyperextentions: +60x12, +60x11.5
-Gah. I was finished. The lower back pump was immense.

Overall it was an awesome workout! I was pizumped and stuff.

Other items of interest: I met with one of the contacts from the research company I'm consulting for today. He was sort of helpful, but there were too many "I'll have to consult with so-and-so's". We've been waiting for two weeks already. :mad:

Song playing in the background: Garbage - "Kick My Ass"

Song on deck: The Peanuts Theme Song. :p

JustinF
02-26-2003, 04:28 AM
Great workout bro! You're a strong guy!! Nice strength. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Isaac Wilkins
02-26-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by JustinF
Great workout bro! You're a strong guy!! Nice strength. Keep it up! :thumbup:

JustinF: Thanks for stopping by, man. That avatar is cracking me up.

Yeah, the strength is coming up. I'm feeling good right now, I almost don't want to cut. :cry:

If I wasn't such a fatass, I wouldn't. ;)

Big & Tall
02-26-2003, 10:00 AM
Cutting sucks! Fatty pride!!

Really, though, how is your bf and when are you going to cut?

Isaac Wilkins
02-26-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Big &amp; Tall
Cutting sucks! Fatty pride!!

Really, though, how is your bf and when are you going to cut?

I came in at 14.9% last week, though I'd hazard closer to 15.5-16%. All I know is that I'm the leanest I've ever been right now (career fatass).

I'm going on the CKD cut as an experiment starting Monday, running that for at least four weeks, then reevaluating. If I want to further cut, I'll probably use a more traditional mild cut with sprint training. I'm in the neighborhood of 240 pounds right now. I'd like to see late June at 12% body fat and in the 230-240 range. If I end up nice and low bodyfat (~12%) I might very slowly bulk, in the range of around 250 cals over maintenence for the summer, then hit it hard again in the fall.

ericg
02-26-2003, 10:11 AM
you are a big boy man! 16% isnt fat man. lets see some fuken pics already.

Isaac Wilkins
02-26-2003, 10:20 AM
you are a big boy man! 16% isnt fat man. lets see some fuken pics already.

I'm trying to latch on to a camera for the experiment, so there may be pics. ;)

With the way I'm eating this week, it may be up to 18% by next Monday.

:evillaugh

carolinagirl
02-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Hey, I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures in CKD - I've been mulling over trying one myself. I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you.

And btw, you are a witty fellow - or at least your journal makes you sound like one! I've been following it for a while and I thought I would make my presence manifest by saying hi.

Hi! :hello:

:windup: (I'm not sure what this one represents, but I really really like it and I thought you might too. So there ya go - a journal-warming present. What a thoughtful guest I am.)

Isaac Wilkins
02-26-2003, 05:07 PM
My God! I'm in love! ;)

A lifting girlie comes in with my favorite Tombstone line under her avatar and does the pointy stick thing! *swoon* Little makes me happier than watching someone poked with a sharp stick.

Thanks for stopping by, carolinagirl. Some folks find these here parts to be a mite interesting at times.

My CKD will be quite well documented. I'll also be using three Excel spreadsheets to monitor body temp, weight, measurements, workouts, diets, and all kinds of other stuff.

I don't know about pics, my ugly mug might be too much for the po' internet to handle, otherwise there'll be lots of info.

carolinagirl
02-26-2003, 08:27 PM
*blush*

You sweet-talking devil, you.

Isaac Wilkins
02-26-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by carolinagirl
*blush*

You sweet-talking devil, you.

...and you know this! ;)

Pass the word. :cool:

Isaac Wilkins
02-27-2003, 06:13 PM
Monday: Legs, 4:40pm
Weight = 239.0

Squats: 230x5, 230x5, 230x5, 230x5, 230x5
-Depth, power, form, ooooh! If my legs didn't hurt so much, I'd do the Borris Happy Dance, TM (banned in 19 states).

Stiff-legged Deadlifts: 265x5, 265x5, 265x5, 265x5, 265x5
-I wasn't sure if there was weight on the bar until set three. :D By this time sweat was dripping off me.

Hack Squats: 2pl+20x10, 2pl+20x14
-Quote: Borris to training partner: "You can't bring that weak-ass stuff up in this humpy-bumpy, baby!" Some day, I hope to be Terry Tate, only whiter, quieter, and with more hair.

Seated Calf Raises: 160x10, 160x11, 160x16.5
-Wooooh!

Weighted-sit-up Ab Machine Thingy: 170x20, 170x13.5
-I was just plain figgity-done.

Great workout! Very intense. Possibly one of the most intense non-ECA fueled workouts of my career.

Other items of interest: One of my friends is contemplating hooking me up on a double date. :cry:

Song playing in the background: Evanescence - "My immortal"

Song on deck: Sticky Fingaz f Eminem - "What If I Was White"

xraygirl
02-27-2003, 06:20 PM
Other items of interest: One of my friends is contemplating hooking me up on a double date. :cry:
Sure you didn't mean to use this smiley? :help: Friends don't set up friends on double-dates. You need new friends hon...

Isaac Wilkins
02-27-2003, 06:30 PM

Sure you didn't mean to use this smiley? :help: Friends don't set up friends on double-dates. You need new friends hon...

Good call. I have no problem running wing-man for him (he'll reciprocate), but if he's going to try to hook me up... tuttut

:bash:

xraygirl
02-27-2003, 06:36 PM
Okay. So long as he's straight on this. ;)

Isaac Wilkins
02-27-2003, 06:41 PM
Okay. So long as he's straight on this. ;)

He should be.

He will be by showtime. ;)

xraygirl
02-27-2003, 06:43 PM
*LOL* Yep, I figure he will be. Have fun...:D

Lizzie
02-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Ok i have to do this cause of the title of the thread and i cant resist any longer. Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:thumbup:

Big & Tall
02-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Is this the meatheaded friend I know?

Nice workout. How'd the training partner deal with it? ;)

btw, I would definitely hire you as office linebacker (that is if I needed backup)

Isaac Wilkins
02-27-2003, 09:28 PM
Is this the meatheaded friend I know?

Nice workout. How'd the training partner deal with it? ;)

btw, I would definitely hire you as office linebacker (that is if I needed backup)

Actually, no. He might have a similar plan, as we were discussing my current lack of game. However, it's not him in this case.

He did well. He was all about the squats, but kind of b!tched out on the SLDL's. He's getting better, though.

Imagine the tagteams.

:bash:

And to Lizzie: Much thanks for visiting the journal. You're welcome always, especially if you're saying "ooh" a lot. :eek:

;)

carolinagirl
02-27-2003, 09:32 PM

You do know that means you get stuck with the hot girl's homely friend, right?

But everybody's got to take one for the team once in a while. You're a saint, fella. A freakin' saint. I hope your friend appreciates it.

NICE workout, btw. :nod:

Isaac Wilkins
02-27-2003, 09:34 PM

You do know that means you get stuck with the hot girl's homely friend, right?

But everybody's got to take one for the team once in a while. You're a saint, fella. A freakin' saint. I hope your friend appreciates it.

NICE workout, btw. :nod:

Oh, I know what that means, and that's why it's not going to work like that. ;)

There's a big difference between wingman at a club and a double date. Hrmph. :mad:

Although I've been running no game for a while. :cry:

Isaac Wilkins
02-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Friday: Arms, 4:30pm
Weight = N/A

Close-grip Bench Press: 135x8, 215x6, 215x5.5
-I didn't do as well as I'd have liked today, but it was still a good workout. This was the start.

JM Presses: 125x6, 135x8
-Nice.

BB Curls: 125x5, 125x5, 125x5, 125x5, 125x4.5
-Gawd. I thought I was going to die on the last two reps.

Chins: x5.5
Dips: x6.5
Chins: x4.5
Dips: x6
Standing French Press: 60x10
-All kinds of done. I was pooched.

Decent workout. Intensity was good, I just didn't feel as strong as I'd have liked to.

Other items of interest: I had a bunch of measurements taken to start my diet.

Bodyfat: 15.5%
L/R Arm: 16.75/17.25
L/R Forearm: 12.75/13.25 :cry:
L/R Quad: 24.5/24.25
L/R Calf: 17.5/17.75
Relaxed Chest: 44.75 (Freaking narrow rib cage/short clavicles :mad: )
Relaxed Waist: 39.5 (near navel, is this right?)
Neck: 16.5
Wrist: 7.25
Ankle: 10.5

I'm not sure about how to measure quads and waist. I went with about 6" above the knee on the quads and at the navel for the waist. I have hella love handles. :cry: I can just about fit in to a 34" waist pants (tight).

The wrist and ankle measurements were taken to give you an idea of my frame. I'm 6'1", by the way.

Song playing in the background: Marilyn Manson - "Like a Virgin" :evillaugh

Song on deck: Lesser Martyrs - "Peel"

carolinagirl
02-28-2003, 10:09 PM
L/R Forearm: 12.75/13.25 :cry:

Hmmm...
What could account for this disparity? :scratch:

Isaac Wilkins
02-28-2003, 10:20 PM

Hmmm...
What could account for this disparity? :scratch:

I already said I was lonely, you don't have to "rub" it in. :cry:

I actually have a badly ripped up/damaged left shoulder/wrist. It keeps the development down a little. I'm trying to grow it back, but it's not going all that well. All of my major pressing movements are miserable on it. That's the disparity between left and right. I had to tape that wrist for over six months just to lift at all, and my forearm suffered from it.

tuttut Dirty, dirty southerner! I know how you're evil mind works!

xraygirl
03-01-2003, 03:45 AM
Yep, and you picked up on that immediately. So, what does this say about you?

Isaac Wilkins
03-01-2003, 07:59 AM
Yep, and you picked up on that immediately. So, what does this say about you?

I dated a girl from South Carolina for a couple of years. I know how they think. ;)

Isaac Wilkins
03-01-2003, 10:08 AM
Ok. I'm going to outline my supplementation and whatnot for my CKD experiment.

Supplements:

Creatine - 5g/day
Multivitamin - 3xday
Green Tea Extract - 450mg/2xday
CLA - 2.1g/2xday
ECA - 3xday (5 days on/2 days off)
Chromium - 800mcg/day (4 doses, until ketosis is hit)
Vitamin C - 3 grams/day (3 doses)
Vitamin E - 1200 I.U./day (3 doses)
B-Complex - 3/day
Zinc - 50 mg/day
Magnesium - 400 mg/day
Fish Oil - 6-12g/day
During carb-up - 200 g/meal of ALA

My diet will be in the neighborhood of 2700-3000 cals, ~200g protein.

Carb ups will be higher, of course. Long live Pops cereal! Captain Crunch, baby! :D

I'll be drinking 1-2 gallons of water daily as well.

My workouts will be as follows:

Monday: Upper body

BB Bench Press: 5x5
Chins: 2 sets to failure
Close-grip Bench Press: 2x6
BB Rows: 2x6
DB Pullovers: 2x6
BB Curls: 2x6
Behind-Back Wrist Curls: 2x10

Tuesday: Lower Body

Squats: 5x5
Stiff-legged Deadlifts: 5x5
DB Calf Raises: 2 sets to failure
Abs

Friday: Depletion Workout

Squat: 1x15
Stiff-legged Deadlifts: 1x15
Yates Row: 1x15
BB Bench Press: 1x15
BB Curls: 1x15
Flyes: 1x15

Repeat cycle 2-4 times.

carolinagirl
03-01-2003, 04:27 PM
No fish or flax oil? And why CLA? (I'm not busting on it - I've heard some good feedback on it too. I'm just wondering what its purpose is in your diet scenario.)

You're right about those girls from South Carolina. Filthy-minded, every last one of 'em. But I'm from North Carolina. :angel:

xraygirl
03-01-2003, 05:15 PM
heh...
*the plot thickens...*

Isaac Wilkins
03-01-2003, 06:13 PM
No fish or flax oil? And why CLA? (I'm not busting on it - I've heard some good feedback on it too. I'm just wondering what its purpose is in your diet scenario.)

You're right about those girls from South Carolina. Filthy-minded, every last one of 'em. But I'm from North Carolina. :angel:

Ack. Spit. Yeah, fish oil as well. 6-12 grams/day.

I've been using CLA now for several months. I used it as last time I came off an ECA cycle to blunt the customary "run-down metabolism" fat gain. Not that CLA increases your metabolism per se, but it is reported to mobilize adipose tissue, etc. I feel that it helped me keep fat off/slowly lose fat while bulking. I'm now 240 pounds at the leanest I've ever been (give or take a percent). I think the CLA helped.

The way I look at CLA is this: Way back, when humans were mostly hunters and gatherers, they were quite lean. This is as a result of many factors. One of those is the high proportion of CLA in their diet (wild meats). The refined carb and grain fed meats (almost devoid of CLA) are two of the several main reasons why I feel that humans look less like predators now. In addition to eating wild meat whenever possible, I'm trying to add that back in to diet.

On a side note, I seem to respond very well to mid-low carbohydrate diets. This prompts me to believe that my insulin sensitivity is quite low. I'm looking forward to this diet to see what how it works for me.

Oh, I haven't tried a North Carolinan girl... yet. They're both from the 'South, though. Dirtyness like that respects no borders of man.

:clap:

Isaac Wilkins
03-01-2003, 06:16 PM
heh...
*the plot thickens...*

Great. I have a mean southern girl and a conflict voyeur in my journal!

Awesome. :zipit:

carolinagirl
03-01-2003, 06:33 PM
Great. I have a mean southern girl and a conflict voyeur in my journal!

I think that you just might be the luckiest man in the universe.

Isaac Wilkins
03-01-2003, 06:35 PM

I think that you just might be the luckiest man in the universe.

Not yet, but it could be fast approaching. :cool:

Big & Tall
03-01-2003, 07:37 PM
Any particular reason you are doing upper body right after your carb up? It seems that you would need more energy for a leg workout and you would put that first. Anyway, post how it works out, I'm thinking of going CKD myself.

Isaac Wilkins
03-01-2003, 08:00 PM
Any particular reason you are doing upper body right after your carb up? It seems that you would need more energy for a leg workout and you would put that first. Anyway, post how it works out, I'm thinking of going CKD myself.

Nope, that's just what I read with Duchaine's workouts. I just sort of did it that way without thinking.

If I find that I really run out of gas on squats, I'll switch up. I hadn't thought about it before now.

That's why I post. :D Thanks!

Isaac Wilkins
03-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Monday: CKD Upper Body, 5:45pm
Weight = 238.0

Warmup BB Bench Press: 135x10, 185x6

BB Bench Press: 225x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x4.5
-Blarg. I'm already feeling the effects of no carbs since 6:00pm last night.

Chins: x9.5, x8.5

Close-grip Bench Press: 185x6, 185x7

BB Rows: 260x6, 225x10
-I'm using a different gym, so the set up for most things is a little different. I didn't feel comfortable with my second set of rows, so I dipped weight and repped.

DB Pullovers: 60x8, 60x10
-*Yawn*

BB Curls: 115x6, 115x6
-Not zippy after the chins and rows.

Decline Crunches: x20, x21

Well, this was the first day of CKD workouts. Blah. I'm feeling all right, but I'm starting to fog up a little. I certainly wasn't primed for this workout, but it went well.

Diet so far today:

7:15 - CLA, fish oil
7:30 - 4 whole eggs
9:15 - 1 scoop whey, 4 tbsp heavy cream
12:15 - 1 can tuna, 2 tbsp mayo
2:45 - 0.5 can salmon, 2 tbsp mayo
7:10 - 2 scoops whey, 2 tbsp olive oil

Totals: 1995 cal, 145.5gf, 168.7gp, 6.9gc

I'll put in about another 750 cals or so today, mostly fat. That would make the diet just about spot on.

I've already nailed about a gallon of water. I'll probably swing another half gallon or so.

Other items of interest. Nada

Song playing in the background: Three Doors Down - "Loser"

Song on deck: Metallica - "The Four Horsemen"

ericg
03-04-2003, 06:29 AM
Gotta love that no carb feeling. Nice benching though!!

Good song selections as always.

Isaac Wilkins
03-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Gotta love that no carb feeling. Nice benching though!!

Good song selections as always.

Thanks! I'm feeling decent this morning. We'll see how it goes!

:dj:

Isaac Wilkins
03-04-2003, 06:09 PM
Tuesday: CKD Lower Body Workout, 4:30pm
Weight = 234

Warmup Squats: 135x8, 135x8

Squats: 235x5, 235x5, 235x5, 235x5, 235x5
-Good sets.

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: 245x5, 245x5, 245x5, 245x5, 245x5
-I was doing these from the floor (the gym I'm CKDing in doesn't have a platform) so I tried them lighter just to make sure that the break in the concentric-eccentric action didn't mess me up. It didn't. These were a joke.

Leg Press Calf Raises: 360x24, 360x22.5
-*Yawn*

Overall, it was a good workout. I didn't feel too bad. I'm still a little keto foggy, but mostly I've come out of that. I've noticed that my hunger has really dropped, so I'm forcing myself to eat. I believe this is a sign of entering ketosis. You'll notice that my weight is really down. I didn't expect to lose that much water so fast. I'm definitely looking and feeling flat, but generally pretty good.

Other items of interest: E-Commerce test today. It's filling out the police report and getting stitched up right now.

Song playing in the background: Rent Soundtrack - "I Should Tell You"

Song on deck: Rent Soundtrack - "One Song Glory"

carolinagirl
03-04-2003, 06:24 PM
Sounds like it's going well so far. Yes, water weight associated with glycogen is an amazing thing. You seem to be hitting keto pretty rapidly - isn't this only your second day?

This is dumb, but I didn't know that the workouts were different on CKD. I guess I should really read the book before I consider doing it. (Or I could just extrapolate from the incredibly detailed and precise journal that you promised you would keep and save the $50. Hmmmm.)

Well, everything seems to be under control around here.

Isaac Wilkins
03-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Sounds like it's going well so far. Yes, water weight associated with glycogen is an amazing thing. You seem to be hitting keto pretty rapidly - isn't this only your second day?

This is dumb, but I didn't know that the workouts were different on CKD. I guess I should really read the book before I consider doing it. (Or I could just extrapolate from the incredibly detailed and precise journal that you promised you would keep and save the $50. Hmmmm.)

Well, everything seems to be under control around here.

Well, I stopped carbing on Sunday afternoon, but yeah.

I am hitting it rapidly, but I haven't tested for it yet. I'm going by how I feel. I've had the downs, now I'm going back up, which implies that I'm getting in to ketosis. I know of a few people that can be in ketosis by Tuesday morning. I'll certainly be in by tomorrow, if I'm not there now.

Yeah, usually you minimize heavy workouts on keto, and you orientate them around your carb up days. That way you're strongest. Right before a carb up it is recommended to do a final depletion workout. I've heard it debated back and forth on whether or not this is necessary. I'll be doing it, just to see how it operates.

Oh yeah, I have three spreadsheets going as I type this. ;) I'll hook you up.

Big & Tall
03-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Workout looks good! Still going 5x5 on squats & sldl's while carb depleted is impressive. I would have figured your energy levels would drop off too much for that sort of thing. Keep it up!

Isaac Wilkins
03-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Workout looks good! Still going 5x5 on squats & sldl's while carb depleted is impressive. I would have figured your energy levels would drop off too much for that sort of thing. Keep it up!

Yeah, I was thinking that I'd be too weak, too. However, it isn't a whole lotta sets. I just burned it out, I'm feeling pretty good, actually. I'm keeping an eye out for hidden carbs, but I'm not finding any.

carolinagirl
03-04-2003, 10:07 PM
Ohhhhh, I see now. I did know the workouts were supposed to be targeted around refeed days; I was just thinking maybe the 5x5's were Lyle-prescribed in the program. I guess that was just the workout scheme you were already doing?

Gotcha.

Isaac Wilkins
03-04-2003, 10:15 PM
Ohhhhh, I see now. I did know the workouts were supposed to be targeted around refeed days; I was just thinking maybe the 5x5's were Lyle-prescribed in the program. I guess that was just the workout scheme you were already doing?

Gotcha.

Pretty much. I altered my routine, but I kept the 5x5's I was using.

ericg
03-05-2003, 06:28 AM
Nice stiffy man!!! Squats are looking good as well.

Isaac Wilkins
03-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the props on the stiffy, eric. ;)

I thought I'd post my macros for the past couple of days. If anyone has keto experience, let me know if I'm consuming too much protein.

Day 1:

2807cals, 213.5gfat, 214.3gprotein, 7.9gcarbs

Day 2:

2751cals, 208.5gfat, 201.9gprotein, 6.9gcarbs

Big & Tall
03-05-2003, 07:41 PM
No direct experience, but I have read that the calorie ratio (fat: prot) should be about 2:1. You are at 2.2:1, so really not too far off.

Just my $0.02 ;)

Edit: When you write fat: prot, make sure to put a space, or you will have a smiley in there (fat:prot) :D

Isaac Wilkins
03-06-2003, 08:07 PM
Word. Thanks for the input. I think I might up fat/drop protein on Monday of next week to try to hasten ketosis, though I think I hit it hella fast.

I finally picked up some ketosticks today. They were pretty dark.

I'm feeling very good. No ketobreath (that I can tell). Mild fog on Monday and Tuesday, but nothing major. I'm flat, and I know my strength isn't crazy, but it's not too bad.

I'm having no real cravings, no problems sticking to the diet. Life's pretty good right now.

Big & Tall
03-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Glad to hear the diet is going well. How is your day to day energy level? I think I'm gonna go CKD, but I want to make sure that I can keep on top stuff outside of the gym. Also (I have no idea here) does more fat really matter as far as getting into ketosis goes, as long as you are at a relatively high level, say around the 2:1 that you have been at?

Isaac Wilkins
03-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Glad to hear the diet is going well. How is your day to day energy level? I think I'm gonna go CKD, but I want to make sure that I can keep on top stuff outside of the gym. Also (I have no idea here) does more fat really matter as far as getting into ketosis goes, as long as you are at a relatively high level, say around the 2:1 that you have been at?

I've felt good. No issues.

I don't know. I've read conflicting reports. The logic is that protein is converted to glucose at a 50% rate (in theory) until ketosis is reached.

My base protein is like 200g/day. Many suggest like 75-100g on the first day, then up to 200 after that. We'll see.

carolinagirl
03-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Glad it's going so well for you thus far. When's your 1st carbup and what are you going to eat? Are you going the 'kiddie cereal' route, the 'whatever the hell I want (and you KNOW that's true!)' route, or the super-disciplined, slightly anal-retentive, fun-free route of liquid dex/malto solutions?

Isaac Wilkins
03-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Glad it's going so well for you thus far. When's your 1st carbup and what are you going to eat? Are you going the 'kiddie cereal' route, the 'whatever the hell I want (and you KNOW that's true!)' route, or the super-disciplined, slightly anal-retentive, fun-free route of liquid dex/malto solutions?

It'll be liquid dex for the first couple, but then there will be some excitement to be had. There may be a little drinkin', too. ;)

I have been thinking about POPS! cereal, though. I always loved it, but I haven't had any in years. Hm...

carolinagirl
03-06-2003, 09:07 PM
1-5. Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch (probably too much fat for a good refeed, but DAYUM it's good!! So good that none of the others comes within 5 placings!)

6. Cocoa Pebbles/Fruity Pebbles
7,8,9. Apple Jacks/Froot Loops/Frosted Flakes (all supremely tasty but they make little cuts on the roof of my mouth :cry: )
10. Cinnamon Life/Honey Nut Cheerios

There you go. The top 10 cereals, according to moi. (You craving sugar yet? :evillaugh )

Isaac Wilkins
03-06-2003, 09:11 PM
:cry:

Actually, I'm still good. ;)

*settles down to more tuna and mayo*

Isaac Wilkins
03-07-2003, 04:15 PM
Mmm.... CKD Carbup day, 4:30pm
Weight = 231

Squats: 175x15
Stiff-legged Deadlifts: 185x15
Yates Row: 155x15
BB Bench: 155x15
BB Curls: 65x15

I did two cycles, nothing to failure. Little rest, felt very burnt.

Let the carb up begin! 2 scoops whey, 75g dextrose, 2 tbsp chocolate syrup! :clap:

Realistically, I don't psychologically need a carb up. I can keep going like this. I don't seem to be feeling burnt out at all.

I'm going to carb pretty heavy for the next 24 hours, then I'll probably do some drinking tomorrow night. I'll probably shut off carbs before 6:00 on Sunday. I'm actually thinking I might just have one carb meal upon waking after the drinking, then nadda.

I tested with ketostix this morning, by the way. I thought it was going to turn black. ;) It just kept getting darker and darker. That and my urine was like some sort of syrup. Overshare, I know, but I did promise I'd be quite meticulous in my notes. :D

Yes, I'm drinking plenty of water.

Other items of interest: Spring break, baby! I'm just gonna be chillin', mindin' ma bidness. ;) Big & Tall, if you happen to make it up here, swing on through, there'll be a party for you.

Song playing in the background: Garbage - "Drive You Home"

Song on deck: Garbage - "Parade"

I'm a huge Garbage fan. Huh. Who'da thunk? By the way, how many of you are pissed off by the phrase "Who'da thunk"? When I hear that come out of someone's mouth, I'm about an inch from tearing their moronic tongue from their uselessly flapping jaws. :mad:

I have no idea why I have such deep-seated issues with that phrase.

xraygirl
03-07-2003, 06:59 PM
I tested with ketostix this morning, by the way. I thought it was going to turn black. ;) It just kept getting darker and darker. That and my urine was like some sort of syrup. Overshare, I know, but I did promise I'd be quite meticulous in my notes. :D
You're right, that was waaay too much info Borris. Thanks for sharing.

Song playing in the background: Garbage - "Drive You Home"

Song on deck: Garbage - "Parade"

I'm a huge Garbage fan. Huh. Who'da thunk?
:thumbup: Good taste in music. Garbage rules baybee!
BTW, Belial's a big Garbage fan too.

By the way, how many of you are pissed off by the phrase "Who'da thunk"? When I hear that come out of someone's mouth, I'm about an inch from tearing their moronic tongue from their uselessly flapping jaws. :mad:
I have no idea why I have such deep-seated issues with that phrase.
Probably because it sounds ignorant. That's why it bothers me. Right there with "di-ent" instead of "didn't"

Alex.V
03-07-2003, 07:09 PM

:thumbup: Good taste in music. Garbage rules baybee!
BTW, Belial's a big Garbage fan too.

Hell yeah!

(Good memory!)

Isaac Wilkins
03-07-2003, 08:25 PM
Excellent! Great fun, having people with taste in my journal.

Of course, xraygirl had to draw Belial into posting, but it's all good.

Oh, and overshare's are good for you, xraygirl. ;) You escaped PMan's adventures in NO.

xraygirl
03-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Hey! The great and powerful Oz...erm...Belial posted in your journal! Damn! I'm good :cool:
Did Matt post that? I haven't seen it yet. But the network was majorly on the fritz a couple of days ago so that's probably when he posted it.

Isaac Wilkins
03-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Did he post that? I haven't seen it yet. But the network was majorly on the fritz a couple of days ago so that's probably when he posted it.

Nope. That's what I was talking about. I know that you're looking for adventures. ;)

xraygirl
03-07-2003, 08:50 PM
Please, I'm a hop skip and leap from N Korea, my husband is deployed, one of my troops is getting thrown out of the AF because her favorite weight loss method involves shoving her fingers down her throat after every meal and another troops husband tried to kill himself last weekend. No adventure sounds good. Boring, normal uneventful. Dragging my sleep deprived puerto-rican half-breed ass to the gym sounds better :D Alas, Daredevil the movie awaits and my kids would raise merry hell if I didn't take them.

Isaac Wilkins
03-07-2003, 08:51 PM

I don't have a whole lot more to say than that.

xraygirl
03-07-2003, 08:58 PM
Heh...Would you believe the only thing here that's stressing me out is not making to the gym for 2 weeks running? Everything else, I can handle but lifting is like my drug fix or something *twitch*
LOL, my 7 y/o is listening a Japanese rap song. Something's definitely wrong with that boy...

Isaac Wilkins
03-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Heh...Would you believe the only thing here that's stressing me out is not making to the gym for 2 weeks running? Everything else, I can handle but lifting is like my drug fix or something *twitch*
LOL, my 7 y/o is listening a Japanese rap song. Something's definitely wrong with that boy...

Two weeks?! Damn! You'll get back in soon.

LOL about the Japanese rap. That's rough. It might be time for a little heart to heart:

"Now Johnnie, this is Grandmaster Flash, and this is Afrika Bambaataa..." :D

xraygirl
03-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Hmmm...
*runs off to do a little rap intervention...*

carolinagirl
03-07-2003, 09:28 PM
No, seriously, let's talk a little more about your pee. (You're probably keeping a spreadsheet on that too, aren't you? ;) )

So, 7 lbs down already? I'll be interested to see where you'll be after the carbup. I have discovered that I have very heavy glycogen. I think its atomic weight is heavier than...um, one of the really heavy ones. Anyway, a carb-up can bring me up 8-10 lbs in one good day. You're so much bigger than me, I bet you have a lot more space to store glycogen - but maybe yours is lighter than mine. :D

(Um, you know I'm just kidding, right? I mean, I'm pretty goofy, but I'm not dumb. At least not that dumb.)

Isaac Wilkins
03-07-2003, 09:34 PM
No, seriously, let's talk a little more about your pee. (You're probably keeping a spreadsheet on that too, aren't you? ;) )

So, 7 lbs down already? I'll be interested to see where you'll be after the carbup. I have discovered that I have very heavy glycogen. I think its atomic weight is heavier than...um, one of the really heavy ones. Anyway, a carb-up can bring me up 8-10 lbs in one good day. You're so much bigger than me, I bet you have a lot more space to store glycogen - but maybe yours is lighter than mine. :D

(Um, you know I'm just kidding, right? I mean, I'm pretty goofy, but I'm not dumb. At least not that dumb.)

Actually, those notes are done in text. ;)

Yeah, I'm sure I'll carb up to the 237-238 range. I'm creatining (look, a new verb!) quite heavily during the carb up, so I should be nice and full. *fondles rapidly filling chest*

Thar ain't nuttin 'bout me that's light, darlin'

carolinagirl
03-07-2003, 10:56 PM
*fondles rapidly filling chest*

Looks like somebody might need a little privacy.

*tiptoes out of journal*

*sticks head back in*

Make sure you use your LEFT hand - gotta work on that forearm symmetry!!

*runs like hell*

Isaac Wilkins
03-07-2003, 10:58 PM

Looks like somebody might need a little privacy.

*tiptoes out of journal*

*sticks head back in*

Make sure you use your LEFT hand - gotta work on that forearm symmetry!!

*runs like hell*

Nooooo! Wait! Come back!

:hump:

There's plenty of Big B to go around! :cool:

PowerManDL
03-07-2003, 10:58 PM
It seems like I'm making guest appearances in everyone's journals.

People must think I'm cool or something.

Isaac Wilkins
03-07-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
It seems like I'm making guest appearances in everyone's journals.

People must think I'm cool or something.

Your posting in here made me say "Ooh".

Not really, but I thought about it enough to write the above.

Isaac Wilkins
03-09-2003, 08:06 PM
The carb up went well, if erratic. The first 24 hours were quite good, after that it got a little sketchier. Either way, I feel good, not too puffy, and ready to go!

Weight at 236.

Bodyfat down to 14.73%, which is within range of error, but I look a touch leaner in my forearms.

carolinagirl
03-09-2003, 08:10 PM
You drank beer. I can tell.

tuttut

Isaac Wilkins
03-09-2003, 08:30 PM
You drank beer. I can tell.

tuttut

88 oz of Guinness last night. :D

Isaac Wilkins
03-10-2003, 05:53 PM
CKD Upper Body day, 4:30
Weight = N/A

Warmup BB Bench Press: 135x8, 185x6

BB Bench Press: 225x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5
-Smoked!

Chins: x10.5, x8.5
-Nice set of chins. Woke the lats up.

Close-grip Bench Press: 185x6, 185x7.5
-Decent close grips

BB Rows: 260x6, 260x8.5
-Much better. Very explosive, good form.

DB Pullovers: 60x8, 60x12
-I hate this exercise. I've decided it.

BB Curls: 115x6, 115x7
-All done at this point. Form was stellar, but weight was a joke. Borris was tired.

Overall a great workout today! I felt the carb up. :D

Other items of interest: Nothing too special.

Song playing in the background: Drain STH - "Simon Says"

Song on deck: Drain STH - "I Wish"

Mmmm... Drain STH - "Freaks of Nature"... Great album...

carolinagirl
03-10-2003, 08:02 PM
How much does your glycogen weigh? I want to know. (Is that why weight was n/a today - b/c you have heavy glycogen too? ;) )

Glad you had a good workout today. Yay beer. Are the depletion ones miserable?

Isaac Wilkins
03-10-2003, 08:18 PM
How much does your glycogen weigh? I want to know. (Is that why weight was n/a today - b/c you have heavy glycogen too? ;) )

Glad you had a good workout today. Yay beer. Are the depletion ones miserable?

I was 236 this morning, from 231 on Friday morning.

I was n/a because the gym that I'm going to for the diet workouts doesn't have a scale. ;)

The depletion workout wasn't fun. I did two cycles, and I was finished, I can tell you that much.

ericg
03-11-2003, 06:21 AM
Nice work benching man!!

Isaac Wilkins
03-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the bench props, eric! This 5x5 (or similar) is working for both of us!

CKD Lower body workout, 5:45pm
Weight = N/A

Warmup Squats: 135x8, 135x8

Squats: 240x5, 240x5, 240x5, 240x5, 240x5
-Good squats again. Yeeeup!

Stiff-legged Deadlifts: 265x5, 265x5, 265x5, 265x5, 265x5
-*Yawn* From the floor. *Yawn*

Straight-legged Calf Presses: 385x20, 385x15.5
-My calves were burnt!

Decline Crunches: x20, x21.5
-Figgity done.

Good workout today.

Other items of interest: An old girlfriend called me today. She's coming back to town for a visit next week, and wants to hook up. Literally, I assume. It's a really weird relationship. She's one of two girls I've ever really loved, and she was the biggie. She loves me, as well. Life just got in the way of us when we had a thing going, and it was cut drastically short. She lives on the West Coast now, and comes back here like once a year. When she comes back, we're very happy for those couple of days, love each other very much, etc. In between visits, we're sporadic with conversation at best. We basically write each other off as "what could have been" and get on with our lives. :( I never know how to feel about this, and I know she feels basically the same way. We're both so afraid of commitment, and have seen each other so infrequently in the past few years that we're not willing to try a relationship. The distance is too great to keep one going, and the sacrifice of moving to another coast is too huge (given the uncertainties) that it's probably not going to happen like that. I can pragmatically look at it as a great yearly f*ckbuddy, but it's more than that.

Well, I'm looking forward to more of the same for a couple of days, then she'll leave again. I will admit that I've never felt the same way about anyone else since, and I've had several relationships (one over two years) since then.

In case you're wondering: No, I have never cheated on a current girlfriend with her. No, I am not a cheater.

:(

Gawd, I'm a relationship feeb. :(

Song playing in the background: The Toasters - "Mona"

Song on deck: Jefferson Airplane - "White Rabbit"

Isaac Wilkins
03-11-2003, 08:54 PM
As a side note, at 10:45pm, I've tested myself with yon ketostick. Yep. Borris is in ketosis, comfortably. I could have told you that by the way I was feeling, but since I'm new at this, it was good to get the reassurence.

carolinagirl
03-11-2003, 09:28 PM
I will admit that I've never felt the same way about anyone else since, and I've had several relationships (one over two years) since then.

You'll probably never recapture that exact feeling again with somebody else. I don't know if it's a function of youth or nostalgia or what, but after the first real grownup love (and the concomitant first real grownup heartbreak) it's hard to ever be quite that absurdly head-over-heels again.

That's not to say that you won't be incredibly happy and fulfilled and really, truly in love with somebody else - the odds are that you will. It just won't ever be exactly the same as it is with that first one.

Isaac Wilkins
03-11-2003, 09:32 PM

You'll probably never recapture that exact feeling again with somebody else. I don't know if it's a function of youth or nostalgia or what, but after the first real grownup love (and the concomitant first real grownup heartbreak) it's hard to ever be quite that absurdly head-over-heels again.

That's not to say that you won't be incredibly happy and fulfilled and really, truly in love with somebody else - the odds are that you will. It just won't ever be exactly the same as it is with that first one.

Yeah, that's how I've come to think of it. A better way to describe the situation is "I've never been able to gel with anyone or felt the 'connection'" as well as with her. However, I think it's more of the nostalgia situation. I know how much I've changed in the last four years (since the relationship), I can only assume that she's undergone some significant level of change as well. For all I know, I might not like her anymore at all if I were to be around her for any length of time.

The whole situation just makes me feel a little mixed up. I love seeing her/being with her, but it feels sad and confusing at the same time.

I'm not used to feeling mixed up, and I don't like it. At all.

Isaac Wilkins
03-13-2003, 09:16 AM
Ok, did cardio last night (45 minute walk).

I just finished training a couple of girls. :rolleyes: So painful. "I want to firm up, but I don't want to do free weights!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

After their session I did some rotator cuff work. Fun fun.

I'll hit up the nordic trak for 20 minutes this afternoon.

Other items of interest: I'm fighting with the school's financial aid office this break. :mad:

Song playing in the background: George Clinton & P-Funk - "If Anybody Gets Funked Up"

Song on deck: DMX - "Who We Be"

ericg
03-13-2003, 09:20 AM
but, are they hot

Isaac Wilkins
03-13-2003, 09:22 AM
but, are they hot

One of my friends just asked me the same thing when I told him. Great minds think alike. :D

Alas, nothing special. One is very taken, the other has a five year old. I'm friends with the taken one, perhaps I can snag one of her friends. :cool:

ericg
03-13-2003, 09:28 AM
yeah, or send her around the lewiston/auburn area :)

Isaac Wilkins
03-13-2003, 09:30 AM
yeah, or send her around the lewiston/auburn area :)

Now what would you do with a redhead sporting a pair of D's?

ericg
03-13-2003, 09:42 AM
anything and everything

Isaac Wilkins
03-15-2003, 07:57 AM
LOL. True that, eric, true that.

Anyway.

Depletion workout yesterday. Gah. I was depleted all right.

Squat: 175x15
SLDL: 185x15
Yate's Row: 155x15
BB Bench Press: 155x15
BB Curl: 65x15

Done in circuit fashion, two circuts. Nothing to failure.

I followed it all up with a few clean and jerks with 135, just for giggles.

Good post-workout carb-up: Two shakes of 46gp/100+gcarbs. After that I went out for Mexican and had something like seven 22oz Guinnesses. :D

I'm going to ease in to a carb up today. Lots of oats, etc. I'll probably do one more bad meal tonight (pizza, chinese, etc), but minimal drinking, if at all.

Other items of interest: Good times... Good times...

Song playing in the background: Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Gimme Three Steps" :angel:

Song on deck: Chester Bennington - "System"

Big & Tall
03-16-2003, 06:05 PM
Good post-workout carb-up: Two shakes of 46gp/100+gcarbs. After that I went out for Mexican and had something like seven 22oz Guinnesses. :D

Rita's! Rita's! :D

Anyway, looks like the diet & workouts are going well. Keep it up. I started my ckd on saturday, and it is bacon-riffic!

Did you say you got ketosticks at wal-mart? Can't seem to find them here....

Isaac Wilkins
03-16-2003, 06:14 PM

Rita's! Rita's! :D

Anyway, looks like the diet & workouts are going well. Keep it up. I started my ckd on saturday, and it is bacon-riffic!

Did you say you got ketosticks at wal-mart? Can't seem to find them here....

And you know this, man!

Yeah, I saw that you'd begun the CKD. Let me know what you think. I'm liking it.

Yeah, they're Metabostix or something to that effect. I asked the pharmacy, and they found them for me in the general health aisles.

carolinagirl
03-16-2003, 06:35 PM
Mmmmm...beer.

Isaac Wilkins
03-16-2003, 06:36 PM
Mmmmm...beer.

Hey, I'm a big, meaty white boy of Finnish and Irish ancestry. We drink beer. It's what we do.

carolinagirl
03-16-2003, 06:52 PM
I was being serious for once. In fact, I would never be sarcastic about beer. Anything else, hell yes. Nothing is sacred.

Except beer. Beer is sacred.

I didn't know that Finnish people were big consumers of the hoppy nectar of the gods. I thought Finns drank...pickled herring juice, or something.

Isaac Wilkins
03-16-2003, 07:20 PM
I was being serious for once. In fact, I would never be sarcastic about beer. Anything else, hell yes. Nothing is sacred.

Except beer. Beer is sacred.

I didn't know that Finnish people were big consumers of the hoppy nectar of the gods. I thought Finns drank...pickled herring juice, or something.

Ah. A fellow worshipper. :bow:

Yeah, the Finns not as much on the beer (though a fair share is consumed). More on the hard stuff. My heritage provides me with a nice range of alcoholic tendencies. :cool:

Coke
03-17-2003, 05:30 AM
:cool: You do it right - some brew and good music to add to the festivites! The things that make us say ooh :)

ericg
03-17-2003, 10:21 AM
"...seven 22oz Guinnesses" Nice work man. must have given your biceps a hell of a pump!! gotta love guinnes. yum

Isaac Wilkins
03-17-2003, 11:04 AM
"...seven 22oz Guinnesses" Nice work man. must have given your biceps a hell of a pump!! gotta love guinnes. yum

Oh yeah, I was pumped, ten feet tall, and bulletproof at that point. ;)

Isaac Wilkins
03-17-2003, 03:34 PM
Monday: CKD Upper Body, 4:30pm
Weight = N/A

Warmup BB Bench: 135x8, 185x6

BB Bench Press: 230x5, 230x5, 230x5, 230x5, 230x5
-Whoooh! The last rep took about four seconds to get up, but up it came.

Chins: x6, x9
-I couldn't quite seem to balance on the first set, I was swinging all over the place for some reason.

Close-grip Bench Press: 190x6, 190x7.5
-Had a hella pump in the triceps from the flat bench, but these felt pretty strong.

BB Rows: 265x6, 265x9
-Up and down. Up and down.

DB Pullovers: 65x8, 65x14
-I still hate this exercise.

BB Curls: 120x6, 120x6.5
-I had nothing left by this point. Nada.

Other items of interest: Still doing the CKD, Spring Break thang. I feel really good on this diet. I'm not dropping much scale weight, but I'm getting leaner and more vascular. All in all, it wins the Borris Stamp of Approval (TM).

Song playing in the background: Toby Keith - "He Ain't Worth Missing" Every once in a while a little country sneaks on to the playlist. ;)

Song on deck: Heidi - "Mary"

carolinagirl
03-17-2003, 03:45 PM
I like country music.

I'm curious about the details of your CKD. I'm doing kind of an isocaloric cutting thang, (with low-ish carbs, but not ketotic) with refeeds, and having pretty good success. (I've been eating just a [i[little[/i] below maintenance for about month or so now - trying to reset that damn setpoint - so it's slow, but noticeable.)

What was your starting bf%, where are you now, and how often do you refeed? Do you go by a refeed schedule or just when you feel low-leptin-ish? (Leptin is one of my current obsessions. Can you tell?)

Also, Lyle said the other day on the Avant board that he felt now that the ketosis part of the diet was not the essential part (in his current view). He said as long as you are getting enough protein and EFA's, are below maintenance cal level, and incorporate refeeds to keep metabolic processes humming along, the actual macro profile doesn't matter that much. What do you think about this (you read his book, right?) (I personally agree completely with him, mainly b/c that's what I've been doing, and I've been doing it b/c that's what Par has been doing, and Par is a demi-god.)

Isaac Wilkins
03-17-2003, 04:09 PM
I find that I really like individual country songs. REALLY like them. I don't generally like it as a genre, though. I'm a huge emotion fan, as far as music goes. Country feeds off that very well.

My CKD is going like this:

Starting bodyfat: ~15.5%

Calorie range: 2700-3000. This is a fair amount below my maintenence, but I think it's still high enough to keep me from being too catabolic. I supplement heavily with anti-oxidents. Taking in 200 grams of protein a day has helped me keep my musculature. The rest is fat.

My weekend refeeds have lately been closer to 36 hours rather than 48. I'm not feeling desperate on my refeeds, and after 36 hours I'm feeling more than ready to start the week again. I don't think I'd have too much of a problem with 24 hour refeeds. I feel pretty good on this diet, I don't really get too depleted feeling.

As for the nature of my refeeds, I've been pretty loose. Post depletion workout, and a couple of hours afterwards I've had at least two 40g whey/100+ g carb shakes. Then it becomes looser. This past refeed was higher in fat than I would have liked (pizza, steak sandwich), but it was psychologically good and I think it helped with leptin. I easily took in 6000 calories or more during my 36 hour refeed, in addition to my later meals that weekend. As long as I get 500-700 grams of carbs I'm good.

I actually haven't read Lyle's book yet. I've read Duchaine's BodyOpus, which was the original plan for my diet. I've also read Lyle's interviews on the site and his 20 week experiment with BodyOpus.

Par is the man.

Could I be losing fat a little faster with a more stringent diet and carb-up? Yeah. Would it be a whole lot faster? Probably not. Would I be losing fat and gaining strength? I'd bet not.

Upon finishing this little experiment, I may slow bulk for the summer. If I get down to the 12-13% range, that's the plan. I'll be doing another little experiment, but not as closely monitored. Are you familiar with Doggcrapp's style of training? Look for him on a couple of other boards, or I can email you some articles. His training is interesting, but it's his diet plans that I'm thinking about. One thing I can't argue with is that he's made some pretty big bodybuilders out of pretty small bodybuilders.

I'll be taking in my normal clean bulking diet of 3600-4000 calories, with at least 350 grams of protein per day. We'll see if that, combined with heavy 5x5 training and some sprinting, will enable me to continue to gain mass and keep fat quite low. I might try to be approaching 240 pounds or more at 12% bodyfat by August.

carolinagirl
03-17-2003, 04:31 PM
I've never read any of Doggcrapp's training stuff - isn't he associated with Animal's board? I'd be interested to read those articles.

Yeah, I hear you - to lose fat more quickly I should ideally be eating a few less cals myself. But I'm actually ok with the bf% I'm at now (not ok with it forever, ok with it like I think I look pretty good now and I don't feel desperate to lose quickly). And I've lost SO slowly for the past 2-3 months that I have gained muscle at the same rate I've lost fat. (Now that's slow!) Still the same scale weight, even a pound or two up, but down about 3% bf. And getting stronger, too.

Plus, I've been dieting for a LONG time now (14 months total, with about 4 months of maintenance interspersed in there, but without any regain) *crosses fingers* *knocks on wood for good measure* Anyway, I think the slower I go from here on out, the better (in terms of permanent setpoint change, etc.) So I'm going very slowly (I'm probably about 100-200 cals under maintenance most days), eating super-clean, doing all the right things vitamin-wise, etc. I think once I throw cardio into the mix it'll all come together. After all, it's not like I'm prepping for a show (yet...:)).

Sorry for jacking your journal, btw - I just think that the nutritional/hormonal/scientific stuff is really interesting, and I get carried away sometimes. (I'm glad you're a nutrition geek, too.)

Isaac Wilkins
03-17-2003, 04:55 PM
No worries on jacking the journal. That's what I like. I'm a big-time nutrition and workout geek, and I like discussion. If the discussion takes place in my journal, then I don't have to look far to find it if I were to refer back later.

Yeah, Doggcrapp is on Animal's board. I've also seen him creep up on Nicholl's board and Elite.

He seems quite good at finding out where he's mentioned, then coming in to dispell the inevitable argument that takes place over his techniques. If you call him, he will come... ;)

I'll check your info to see if there's a email address for you. If so, I'll drop some articles to you. A couple are more centered towards drug use, you can disregard them if you'd like.

carolinagirl
03-17-2003, 05:46 PM
Maybe he'll make a guest appearance in your journal, then. (Or would we have to be talking **** about him for it to work?)

I think my email's in my profile - if not I'll pm it to you.

And now that I know you're a geek about this stuff too, don't be surprised if you get snowed under with links from me. (I don't ever post on the scary smart science forums - because, well, they're scary - so I would love to be able to discuss some of that stuff with somebody.)

Big & Tall
03-17-2003, 10:16 PM
I would be interested in hearing these summer plans of yours. I'm thinking a good long clean bulk is in order after I finish my CKD, and I could use a new angle on things.

Isaac Wilkins
03-17-2003, 11:02 PM
I would be interested in hearing these summer plans of yours. I'm thinking a good long clean bulk is in order after I finish my CKD, and I could use a new angle on things.

When I nail them down a little more, I'll make sure to let you know.

Big & Tall
03-18-2003, 02:05 PM
Another question for you: what do you do for a pre-depletion workout meal? I've read you're supposed to take in some high GI carbs pre-w/o to get your muscles burning glycogen again, so you can get more depleted, but I haven't seen anything in here about it.

Isaac Wilkins
03-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Another question for you: what do you do for a pre-depletion workout meal? I've read you're supposed to take in some high GI carbs pre-w/o to get your muscles burning glycogen again, so you can get more depleted, but I haven't seen anything in here about it.

Actually what is done is usually some fructose, around 50 grams.

Perhaps a couple of apples.

The idea is that fructose goes directly towards filling liver glycogen, which regulates ketosis. This kicks you out, but won't refuel the muscles. This enables you to then burn out what little bit is in your muscles.

Isaac Wilkins
03-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Tuesday: CKD Lower Body Workout, 4:30pm
Weight = N/A

Warmup Squats: 135x8, 185x6

Squats: 265x5, 265x5, 265x5, 265x5, 265x5
-Yep. 265. Yep. On the third set my partner and I realized that we'd added an extra dime to each side. This explained why it felt **** heavy. We looked at each other, shared a common thought, turned up the music, and made each other cry, or close to it.:dj:

Stiff-legged Deadlifts: 270x5, 270x5, 270x5, 270x5, 270x5
-Good sets of SLDL's today.

Machine Calf Presses: 410x26, 410x21.5
-I actually fell down walking away from the machine. Luckily, it's a small private gym and it was only my training partners and myself.

Hanging Leg Raises: x15.5
-Gah.

Decline Crunches: x21.5
-Gah^2

Well, quite the surprising workout. My legs are done. Done.

Other items of interest: :hump: Tomorrow. :( Tomorrow.

Song playing in the background: Prince - "When Doves Cry" One of the greatest songs. Ever.

Song on deck: Stabbing Westward - "Save Yourself"

xraygirl
03-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Whoa, 2 great songs and a most excellent workout. Borris is having a good day. ;)

Isaac Wilkins
03-18-2003, 10:52 PM
Why... yes. A good day was had. :D

My legs still don't feel quite right. :cool:

xraygirl
03-18-2003, 10:56 PM
So big guy, care to elaborate on this?

Other items of interest: :hump: Tomorrow. :( Tomorrow.

Isaac Wilkins
03-18-2003, 11:00 PM
So big guy, care to elaborate on this?

Ha! I knew that of all people, you'd go after that.

Tomorrow (well, later today now, ESTime) my ex-lady comes by to see me. I wrote of it a page or so ago, if you'll remember. Like I said then, I love seeing her, it's like a booty call with someone you care about, and feels the same about you. However, it's always a saddening time. I see/feel how great it is to be with her, then she evaporates. Then I'm back to where I was. Looking for another Ms. Right, or at least another Ms. Right-now, which is not nearly as satisfying.

xraygirl
03-18-2003, 11:04 PM
Must be something in the air. Been trying to find a way to finagle a 4 day TDY to San Antonio next month. So far, no dice :( But that's where the one that got away is and dammit I wanna go!
*stomps foot like a spoiled 5 y/o*

Isaac Wilkins
03-18-2003, 11:06 PM
Must be something in the air. Been trying to find a way to finagle a 4 day TDY to San Antonio next month. So far, no dice :( But that's where the one that got away is and dammit I wanna go!
*stomps foot like a spoiled 5 y/o*

*commiserates* :cry:

xraygirl
03-18-2003, 11:16 PM
You'll be fine...just don't hurt yourself in the weight room whilst trying to get Miss Wonderful out of your system. And no love songs! Got that?

Isaac Wilkins
03-18-2003, 11:25 PM
You'll be fine...just don't hurt yourself in the weight room whilst trying to get Miss Wonderful out of your system. And no love songs! Got that?

My lifting partner has already said that if things don't go well, he doesn't want to lift with me next week. :D

Girlie, you know I've got musical taste. I'll be spinning up some good stuff, don't worry. ;)

I actually happen to like love songs (depending drastically upon the artist and song, of course). However, my music won't be changing too much. That is, unless NIN's Pretty Hate Machine makes an appearence. ;)

I listen to it anyway, as it's my favorite album. However, it is the greatest "ending a bad relationship, or ending a relationship badly" album ever.

Another artist (who escapes me) once said about that album: "Some woman really dug into and hurt Trent badly to make him write that album. I'd really love to meet her". :bow:

xraygirl
03-18-2003, 11:42 PM
I like love songs too. Just don't tell anyone, I have a rep to maintain ;)

My "I'm bitter dammit" song is Fiona Apple's "Get Gone" Well that and Meridith Brooks' "Shatter"

Have fun...

ericg
03-19-2003, 06:46 AM
Nice squatting man!! Funny thing bout the 10lbrs! You still pushed it all up to, nice work. SLDL is looking great - very strong.

Isaac Wilkins
03-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Thanks for chiming in, guys.

Friday: CKD Depletion workout, 10:00am
Weight = N/A (but in the 228 range)

Squats: 175x15
SLDL: 185x15
Yates Rows: 155x15
Flat BB Bench Press: 155x15
BB Curls: 65x15

Two circuits.

I was finished. I probably could have done just one circuit. I had gone to Portland to see Henry Rollins perform the evening before, and hadn't gotten to bed until around 3:30... Up at 8:00... 10 hours plus of sitting the day before... Gah...

Other items of interest: Lots of drinking last night. :alcoholic Lots of :hump:. Lots of the usual good and bad. Nothing resolved. I, of course, knew that going in. I had another offer to move to WA, but I can't commit on nothing (that's not a grammatical error). So the criss-crossing of life and pinballing will continue, I presume. :(

Song playing in the background: Sublime - "Wrong Way"

Song on deck: George Clinton - "Stomp"

Isaac Wilkins
03-24-2003, 07:03 AM
I thought I'd do a little carb-up reminder. ;)

After a not-so-good carb-up this weekend: I sit at 232 this morning. Not enough food or water. :mad: I feel pretty good, but I know it wasn't enough.

I walked five miles or so last night. This was so as to get back into ketosis more quickly. It was also a good head clearing/muddying exercise.

Thoughts that occurred to the Big B last night:

-I really don't want to be here any more. I've been feeling this and fighting it for several weeks now. I don't think it's straight-up depression (I've had more than my share of that in the past). I just don't want to be at UMaine and going to school anymore. When I graduated, I was done. Then I came back, to the same place. All of my friends are graduate(d). I feel like everything is happening around me, and I'm stuck here in stasis. I'm very much contemplating not getting my MBA here. If I can get a BS or MS in Kinesiology or Exercise Physiology quickly, I might just jump on that and get an MBA somewhere else. I'll be quite marketable anyway, and I fear that the longer I don't want to be here, the less likely I am to succeed. Honestly, I may need some more work experience before I get everything that I should from an MBA program.

-I miss her. She misses me. She asked me to move to Washington. I agreed to visit this summer.

-Despite my cutting, I am getting bigger and stronger. I will have a 4-pack at 235 pounds this summer if things go according to plan.

-Like Belial, I hate my Valeo belt. I thought I was the only one. :( I need to break down and get an Inzer or something.

-Gawd, I'm a dick when I'm sober.

-Apparently, I'm charming at times. Aw shucks. *Yawn*

Song playing in the background: Linkin Park - "Somewhere I Belong"

Song on Deck: Sam the Sham - "Little Red Riding Hood"

Coke
03-24-2003, 08:06 AM
The walks do wonders for me too sometimes :cool: Good luck with whatever direction you take (personal and professional).