PDA

View Full Version : Thermogenic effect of meals

LAM
12-03-2002, 04:17 PM
I just got a digital thermometer and have been tracking the thermogenic effect of digestion etc. from my meals. has anyone else tried this ?

...and yes I know I have way to much free time on my hands :D

Stray
12-03-2002, 04:53 PM
Where exactly are you taking the ...erm ...."readings"?

bradley
12-03-2002, 05:00 PM
Have never tried it but am curious to know what you have found. Will you be posting any results?

body
12-03-2002, 05:06 PM
I have done it with a mouth tubey thing at uni. forgot what the full details are.

But from my SMR(starving metabolic rate - I am not(bit hard to do as well) going to find out my BMR). ate something like 50 grams of protein(from chicken). My metabolic rate went up by 500 kcals at its peak.

other people in the group did either fat or carb source of food.

LAM - might still have the work on my hardrive if you fancy a read of it. I did right 3 years ago. so my knowledge is a bit better now.

LAM
12-03-2002, 05:36 PM
body...I had a feeling you would have something on it...you can email it to me when you get the chance, thanks

Stray...lol I'm using oral readings, i'm not sticking anything up my butt !

bradley...most likely I will post the results once I figure out what I'm actually doing

body
12-03-2002, 05:48 PM
LAM - Pm me your email as I can not add a attachment to it.

rookiebldr
12-03-2002, 09:02 PM
Actually, this is fascinating. I'd be interested in the results as well.

I think this is somewhat related, I was having this discussion with a co-worker who only eat 2 meals a day. He understood that if you eat 6 meals a day, then that would increase metabolism. He was making the inference then that he could actually eat more this way and still lose the 30lbs he needed. My contention was that even with the increase in metabolism, he would not be able to increase his calories and there would not be enough calories burned to significantly reduce any weight.

AJ_11
12-04-2002, 01:59 AM
So what your saying is the less you eat the more your metabolism is increased?

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-04-2002, 05:30 AM
Depends what you eat during the meals.

rookiebldr
12-04-2002, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11
So what your saying is the less you eat the more your metabolism is increased?

No not really. I have likely mixed up a whole bunch of different pieces of information here and should have sorted some of it out prior to posting.

However per the above, I was only trying to determine if the increase in frequency of the meals would have enough of a metabolism increase to burn any excess body fat as well.

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Depends what you eat during the meals.

You've just reminded me of another tibit of information that plays a role here. I leaping to the conclusion that this refers to eating foods that burn more energy digesting them then the energy contained in them.

*goes back to giving this some more thought*

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-04-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by rookiebldr

You've just reminded me of another tibit of information that plays a role here. I leaping to the conclusion that this refers to eating foods that burn more energy digesting them then the energy contained in them.

I know celery is like this.

I can't think of anything else off the bat.

body
12-04-2002, 06:38 PM
even though celery goes into a negative kcal count. you are going to have to eat like 10 kg of it to make a difference. It would just be easier to go for a jog for 5 minutes.

Berserker
12-05-2002, 02:59 PM
I've heard peppers are good for speading up metabolism/weight loss. Any truth to this?

Saint Patrick
12-06-2002, 12:27 AM

I believe carrots and broccoli as well.

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-06-2002, 09:39 AM
No, i doubt carrots.

Broccoli? Again, i doubt it, but it's more likely than carrot.

And yeah, certain peppers are quite potent regarding thermogenesis.

YatesNightBlade
12-06-2002, 09:43 AM
Melon ?

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-06-2002, 09:54 AM
No idea, but i doubt it.

The reason celery has negative calories is cause of the cellulose being so tightly packed together and tangled around that it takes the body a good deal of time and energy (but like Body says, not a significant amount in the grand scheme of things) to break it down and ends up spending more calories than it gets from it. I think it also has chitin deposits between the cellulose strands making it even more rigid.

If you can think of a food that resembles the structure, texture and has other similar properties to celery, you may be onto something.

Podium Kreatin
12-06-2002, 10:27 PM
LAM, how does the thermometer measure the thermgenic effect of foods? ur body temp shouldn't change no matter what food u eat (unless its poisonous). high metabolism doesn't mean higher temperature. your body temp is to optimize enzyme activity, if eating does heat up ur body, u just sweat more

broccoli's a flower (it has some sugar) and melon's a fruit. carrot's a root, which has tons of carbs (but, not ones u should worry about)

chicken daddy; if the caloric numbers are small it doesn't mean its insignifant; think about this.
assume: a celery will fill u up as a hamburger. but, a celery is 0 cals, and hamburger meal is say like 500-1000. if u eat the celery instead, u lose 500-1000 cals u would've had if u ate the burger, and a additional negative cals for the cellulose digestion. so, it is a lot.

for a lot of ppl, celery works really well for wrestling season, when u wanna make weight from cutting bodyfat til really low numbers (less than 7%) w/o any change in diet.

LAM
12-06-2002, 10:42 PM
actually...you are wrong

body temperature provides an indication of metabolic rate. low body temperatures are an indication of hypo-metabolism. for each 1 degree increase in body temperature there is a 5-7% increase in BMR.

it is why substances like thermogenics aid in the reduction of body fat. and even more when you look at the effects of compounds such as clenbuterol and DNP, both of which increase the RMR by increasing body temperature

duque21
12-06-2002, 11:59 PM

cucumbers too..:D

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-07-2002, 06:00 PM
Podium, we're talking about eating celery, not eating celery instead of something else.

And LAM is right about the temp/metabolism thing.