PDA

View Full Version : how's this weight gaining diet sound?

skinny_dude
12-04-2002, 06:37 PM
ok i'm skinny as hell with a fast metabolism and i want to pack on the pounds while liftin heavy and eating alot. here is my average meal plan for the day. this is what i ate the past 2 days. please leave suggestions if u can.

6:30am: 3 scrambled eggs, 2 strips bacon, 12oz. OJ, protein shake (1% milk).

10:00am: ham + swiss sandwich on white bread with mayo, 16oz. fruit punch drink.

1:30pm: tuna-fish sandwich on rye bread, 12 oz. fruit punch drink.

5:00pm: chicken pattie on white roll with mayo, turkey on white bread with ketchup, 12oz. creatine juice.

6:00pm-7:00pm: WORKOUT

7:00pm: protein shake (1% milk).

8:00pm: pizza or hot dog, salad with dressing, milk.

is this a decent meal plan?

GonePostal
12-04-2002, 06:49 PM
Try not to eat such a high fat meal after your work out. That and Hot Dogs are made of a$$.

GIS
12-04-2002, 07:08 PM
I'd throw in some more carbs some time in the afternoon before your workout. They are a great source of calories and help put meat on the 'ol bones.

I started lifting at ~155 pounds and 5'11 and I'm up past 180 now. It's all about the calories so start reading the nutrition facts of what you eat and count calories along with protein. I wouldn't worry about counting carbs at this point. Just make sure they are quality carbs (rice, whole grains, etc) and try to stay away from excessively fatty foods. Fat is good... just not the saturated fat that is found in hot dogs. Fat supresses the appitite because it takes a lot longer to digest. If you were to cut out the hot dog, replace it with a grilled chicken breast, and then add another meal of cottage cheese and milk right before bed I think it would be much more beneficial for ya.

Also make sure you are getting some good simple carbs in your protein shake post workout to get an insulin spike. As for the protein shake itself, is it just a whey protein shake or is it a weight gainer? I reccomend weight gainer shakes for us skinny people. Mine has 43 g protein, 550 calories, and 43 g of carbs.

Everybody's body reacts differently to diet though so just tinker around with it and see what works for you. Overall that's a good start for a meal plan though!

skinny_dude
12-04-2002, 07:20 PM
thanks guys! yea i will cut out that hot dog nonsence and eat another chicken meal i guess....

GIS, its a regular whey protein shake, 17.5g protein, only 90 calories, not including milk. what are some simple carbs i could put in my shake post workout? i would like to try using a weight gainer protein shake like yourself. Can u recommend a specific brand or even better, post a link? thanks.;)

skinny_dude
12-04-2002, 07:45 PM
ok well i just checked the GNC site and i think i'll go there tomorrow and get the weight gainer 1850. 1850 calories, 74g. protein and 354g. carbs.:D its probably expensive as all hell too.:rolleyes:

Vido
12-04-2002, 07:48 PM
I think that's a little excessive. Try a half serving if you buy that stuff.

skinny_dude
12-04-2002, 08:21 PM
lol yea i think its a bit much too...

bradley
12-05-2002, 05:04 AM
I believe the GNC weight gainer is calculated using 2 cups skim milk. The serving size is 3 cups of powder so just us maybe one cup of weight gainer powder and one scoop of whey. That would give you approx 600 kcals I believe.

steveo
12-05-2002, 10:34 AM
This is how I bulk:

#1: Protein Shake

work-out

Post workout:
N-Large w/water

#2: 4 egg white + 1 whole egg
1/2cp of oat
1 WW toast
1tpsp of Tatty Pb (on day I don't take Flax in meal #1)
2cps water

#3: 1 can of tuna
Lettuce
1tbspMayo
2WW bread
2 carrots(or green beans)
2cps water

#4: 1 Chicken Breast
1 potato
1cp of green beans
2cps water

#5: Steak
potato
green bean
2cps water

#6: 4 egg whites
1/2 diced Chicken Breast
1cp of skim milk

#7 Protein Shake w/skim milk or Cottage Cheese and fruit or both

You need to replace your bread with Whole Wheat Bread. Forget about all the drink and drink water and milk more water than milk.
Use you Weight Gainer for Post Work out only. Eat high protein food not high carb and fat, but you do need them.
This is what I eat when I bulk:

Chiken Breat
Steak
Turkey
Egg Whites
Whole Wheat Bread
Tuna
All Natural Peanut Butter
Flax Seed Oil
Potato
Brown Rice
Green Bean

Toss those in any Combination Protein/ Cards/ fats something even like 50/30/20 or 60/20/20.

massa
12-05-2002, 03:51 PM
dude your skinny as hell so just eat. dont worry bout ratios or not eating high carb or high fat foods like stevo said. eat huge high carb meals. dont worry bout fat too much. im not saying stuff your face with donuts but man you wanna gain weight so pack on the cals. put downt the calculator and eat
massa

AJ_11
12-05-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by steveo
This is how I bulk:

#1: Protein Shake

work-out

Post workout:
N-Large w/water

#2: 4 egg white + 1 whole egg
1/2cp of oat
1 WW toast
1tpsp of Tatty Pb (on day I don't take Flax in meal #1)
2cps water

#3: 1 can of tuna
Lettuce
1tbspMayo
2WW bread
2 carrots(or green beans)
2cps water

#4: 1 Chicken Breast
1 potato
1cp of green beans
2cps water

#5: Steak
potato
green bean
2cps water

#6: 4 egg whites
1/2 diced Chicken Breast
1cp of skim milk

#7 Protein Shake w/skim milk or Cottage Cheese and fruit or both

You need to replace your bread with Whole Wheat Bread. Forget about all the drink and drink water and milk more water than milk.
Use you Weight Gainer for Post Work out only. Eat high protein food not high carb and fat, but you do need them.
This is what I eat when I bulk:

Chiken Breat
Steak
Turkey
Egg Whites
Whole Wheat Bread
Tuna
All Natural Peanut Butter
Flax Seed Oil
Potato
Brown Rice
Green Bean

Toss those in any Combination Protein/ Cards/ fats something even like 50/30/20 or 60/20/20.

That's your bulk. Looks like my cut, lol.

steveo
12-05-2002, 07:25 PM
I only weight 165lbs I'm small, so it doesn't take much, saves me money.

Since I Body Build I worry about ratios. It makes a difference knowing what you eat and controling how much fat you will gain, because when the time comes for a contest you have to loose that fat. I would eat what ever I wanted but I wouldn't get the correct amount to of Protien to build muscle. A good Ratio will add solid muscle plus make you stronger. I made a list at the bottom of my post those food are important just add Oats eat a lot of that 6x a day and you should gain some size. If you have to write it down so if doesn't work you know what you did and how muich more to add.
Us Hardgainer have to stick together:D

skinny_dude
12-05-2002, 07:50 PM
aight thanks guys. i will be using weight gainer 1850, whey protein and creatine as supplements. along with workin out hard, i am eating a hell of a lot. it feels kinda weird, like its my job. i'm not used to it, but change is good!:)

steveo
12-05-2002, 08:00 PM
You'll get use to it and it will seem natural after a while. People are always suprised by how many times a day I eat, but they never see junk go down this trap. Except for off seasons then they freak out and ask me if I don't train anymore. Don't give up and don't get lazy. Wake up early if you have to preapare your meals for the day. Don't set yourself up for failer.

Saint Patrick
12-07-2002, 01:27 AM
I notice your goal weight in your sig is 180 lbs. Is that your goal for this current bulk, or is that a long-term goal? The reason I ask is because I'm 3 inches shorter than you (5'8") and I just got done bulking from 160 to 190, and I would hardly be considered big.

GIS
12-07-2002, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by skinny_dude
thanks guys! yea i will cut out that hot dog nonsence and eat another chicken meal i guess....

GIS, its a regular whey protein shake, 17.5g protein, only 90 calories, not including milk. what are some simple carbs i could put in my shake post workout? i would like to try using a weight gainer protein shake like yourself. Can u recommend a specific brand or even better, post a link? thanks.;)

Yeah, it's good to see that you are investing in a weight gainer powder because that protein shake you were using isn't goign to cut it for bulking.

There are a million and one weight gainer powders out there. N-Large 2 is a pretty good one for post workouts, but just go and start buying around and see what tastes best to you... I'd stick to chocolate and none of the berrys or vanillas. They tend to be gross.

Also, look online for your suppliments... they are a lot of times nearly half the price as retail.

I am 180 @ 5'11" and started at 150 pounds. I think 180 is a good short term goal for you.

I consider trying to consume 3,500 calories a day with ~200 g protein and playing with your diet from there depending on whether your not gaining or gaining too much body fat. Also, when you count protein I reccomend only counting protein from protein powders/eggs/dairy/meat... don't count the protein from plant sources such as wheat. They don't digest the same and arn't complete proteins.

Vido
12-07-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by GIS
There are a million and one weight gainer powders out there. N-Large 2 is a pretty good one for post workouts, but just go and start buying around and see what tastes best to you... I'd stick to chocolate and none of the berrys or vanillas. They tend to be gross.

Vanilla N-Large is the bomb! tuttut