PDA

View Full Version : Pre-workout carbs

Nyarlathotep
12-04-2002, 07:59 PM
I'm trying to figure out what the best plan for me personally is. I am after the holy grail; putting on size while losing some flab. I just recently purchased a recumbant bike and I'm thinking of waking up even earlier than I do ~5AM to do about 20 mins of cardio as that is supposedly the best time to do it.

However, on the days that I can't, would it be better to have carbs pre workout (where I will do my cardio at the end) and possibly just be burning off carbs vs fat, or would it be better to try to avoid the carbs pre workout to burn fat reserves and then have my carbs post workout?

Does it really break down to the fact that I should choose either bulk or cut and not both at the same time?

Thanks,
Nyarlathotep

LAM
12-05-2002, 01:42 AM
how long have you been training ?

IMO...am cardio can be beneficial but it depends on the person, their goals and how in touch they are with the performance of their own body...

bradley
12-05-2002, 03:50 AM
I think it i better to choose to either cut or bulk and that way you are not "spinning your wheels" so to say. Although if you are new to lifting the chances of you gaining muslce and losing fat is greater. As far as the pre-workout carbs I would definetly not lift without eating some carbs first. I have read many conflicting viewpoints on the cardio on an empty stomach idea, so I would just try both and see what you respond best to.

Nyarlathotep
12-05-2002, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

I've been training since July of this year. I've actually lost a considerable amount of flab since then. I was a whopping 264, but weigh about 225 now. At 6'2" this looks pretty good but I am trying to lose the last of the lovehandles/gut. However I am trying to bulk up somewhat at the same time. It's kind of sad really, I look fit except for the love handles. Not sure what my BF% is. I suspect mid to high teens.

You might be right guys, it's possible I've hit a plateau where I really have to choose to dedicate my diet to one or the other. Perhaps since I live in Toronto and it's colder here now (read nobody is wearing shorts and t-shirts except at the gym or a house with the heat up) I should bulk for a few months and then cut for our short summer.

As for pre-workout carbs, are they predominantly for energy for your workouts? Or is there a something in the body's food processing that will benefit the building of muscle with the carbs?

Thanks,
Nyarlathotep

eclips1
12-05-2002, 11:32 AM
I'd say do a clean bulk. You can build muscle and loose fat at the same time but you can't be fully dedicated to both. 264 to 225 is excellent! perfect starting point to put on some muscle. Be dedicated to this, and I'd bet with disipline your BF will drop also.

Design a good diet eating around 3500 cals/day, 4-6 meals with a 30/30/40 split. 30%fats, 30% carbs, 40% protiens.

I have good workouts with the following eating:
8am-a good breakfast, 400-500cals with 60-70 carbs(GI) example-oatmeal.
11am-lunch, another 500 cals approx-around 40 carbs.

12pm workout. I'll have a carb/caffiene energy drink, aroun 27 carbs(mostly sugars).

After my workout I'll take in another 20-30 carbs with a protien shake, then for the rest of the day I plan out my meals based on what %'s I want to achieve for the day.

Sometimes for breakfast i'll still eat 500 cals, but I'll have eggs, meat and just 1 peice of toast, only getting 20 carbs.

smalls
12-05-2002, 07:17 PM
When it comes to fat loss, what you are burning while you are working out isnt as important as just being in a caloric defecit, IMO.(as long as it aint muscle ha). I also think you should concentrate on either a bulk or cut, in order for you to see the best, fastest results.

LAM
12-05-2002, 08:15 PM
get your body fat checked then decide what to do.

but like smalls stated for optimum results it's best to pick one, lose body fat or gain LBM.

Nyarlathotep
12-05-2002, 09:09 PM
Thanks again for the responses guys.

After thinking about it for a bit, I think I'll try bulking. It is the winter after all. Summer is when I want to be cut. Leaves me a few months to put on some size before trimming down. I am going to try a clean bulk diet vs a fat ass inducing diet. It must be possible to bulk and not put on a tonne of flab. That is what I'm shooting for. We'lll see how successful I am.

The best news about my decision is, I won't have to worry about cardio so much for the next few months.

:D :D :D

Nyarlathotep