PDA

View Full Version : ok kiddies, recipe time

flake
07-08-2001, 07:38 AM
Right, I want to make like a home made protein bar, kindalike a brownie or flapjack (something similar to chemical flapjacks would be cool).
I'd like it to be high calorie (bulking, yey), and not too bothered about the fat content so long as it has a lot of protein and is easy to carry round.

Anyone have any recipes? Oh and a normal cake type bar and a tub of whey is fine by me :)

Cheers

heathj
07-08-2001, 10:51 AM
That'd be kinda cool. I was thinking of something like this a while ago. Maybe mixing protein powder with a brownie mix or something? I think I'll mess around sometime within the next week with recipes.

Alex.V
07-08-2001, 12:19 PM
Well, there is a way to make fudgy chocolate goodness as a dessert:

1 tablespoon unsweetened dutch cocoa
1.5 tablespoons flax seed oil
3 packets Equal
3/4 scoop of chocolate whey (I use designer)
2 tablespoons light cream
A few almonds or almond slices.

-Mix the cocoa, oil, and equal in a bowl....the consistency should be similar to slightly thick chocolate syrup...add more oil if it's cakey, but if it's too watery that's fine, it just means you can add more whey.

-throw in the protein powder and cream and stir thoroughly. if it starts to congeal on the spoon, add a little bit of skim milk. The texture should end up fairly thick but smooth.

-When it's all mixed, throw in the almonds, you can either mix them or let them sit on top.

-Throw it in the freezer for 5-15 minutes. The longer you keep it in there, the harder it becomes (obviously)

Okay, it's not a bar, but it CAN BE a good addition to your meal plan....

heathj
07-08-2001, 01:41 PM
What's the breakdowns for that? Cals/Protein/Carbs/Fat

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-08-2001, 01:45 PM
I've had protein pancakes before - they were quite sickening after a while but i managed to chow them all doon.

flake
07-08-2001, 01:59 PM
belial: might have to try that, one thing though, whats equal? don't think we have that in the uk.

chicken: is that just a normal pancake mix with whey thrown in?

Alex.V
07-08-2001, 02:15 PM
Equal = artificial sweetener (aspartame). 1 packet is about as sweet as 1.5 teaspoons of sugar.

Actually, this recipie started as a way to get my 2 tablespoons of flax seed oil every night, so it's extremely high fat. (But it's mostly good fats, which you should be taking anyway. haha)

Calories: 350 (250 fat)

27.7 grams of fat (5.5 saturated)
22 grams protein
4 grams of carbohydrates
2 grams of fiber.

If you tweak it a little bit (1 tbsp oil, use 1% milk instead of cream) it comes out to:

Calories: 250 (140 fat)

15.5 grams of fat (2.4 saturated)
22.4 grams protein
4.8 grams carbohydrates
1.8 grams fiber.

Franco
07-08-2001, 02:17 PM
Flakio - Met-RX make pancakes, though i have yet to sample them

What's a packet of Equal then?

Tryska
07-08-2001, 02:57 PM
equal = aspartame (nutrasweet)

Sweet and Low = saccharin

splenda = well..splenda.

edit...hee hee...brain and fingers on different speeds. thanks b. i just realized what i did.

Alex.V
07-08-2001, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
equal = aspartame (nutrasweet)

nutrasweet = saccharin

:)

No more alcohol for you.
lol. Don't use sweet and low, or other saccharin sweeteners...they'll taste awful if you use it here.

Use aspartame of splenda.

Tryska
07-08-2001, 03:55 PM
hey...i didn't say use it...i was just giving translations for our brand names...

b...when have you ever seen me suggest an artificial sweetener of any kind?? i like my kidneys you know.;)

Alex.V
07-08-2001, 04:32 PM
Tryska- re-read your post. So what is it?

You said Equal = aspartame = nutrasweet
and
Nutrasweet = saccharin.

Therefore, you said aspartame = saccharin. ;)

heathj
07-08-2001, 04:37 PM
:eek: Considering I eat 28.5g of fat per day...27.7g is kinda high, heh.

Tryska
07-08-2001, 04:54 PM
b - i gotcha....although i was a bit slow on the uptake..*lol* and made the appropriate changes....good eye.

heathj
07-08-2001, 05:57 PM
Tryska, I bet you could whip up a good batch of brownies :)

Tryska
07-08-2001, 06:20 PM
*lol* Heath....no...i don't make brownies......

anymore.;)

flake
07-08-2001, 08:43 PM
FAngel: yeah I've seen those, they seem a bit high on the though.

And woo hoo, had an idea, how about persuading the local girl guides to make me up a few batches :D

Tryska
07-11-2001, 06:24 AM
Just ran across this recipe...maybe more of what you're looking for?

Homemade Protein Bars

1 square unsweetened baker's chocolate
2 Tbls. butter
2 Tbls. heavy cream
3 pkts. Equal (I use 1/8 cup granular Splenda)
3 scoops (1 cup) Chocolate Designer Protein (Any chocolate whey protein may be used)
1 cup chopped peanuts (or pecans)
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut (hence the above!)
2 Tbls. Sugar Free syrup or maple syrup (or water in a pinch)

Melt chocolate and butter in microwave for 1 minute; stir until completely melted. Add Equal and heavy cream and stir 'til creamy. Add protein powder, peanuts, coconut and stir until mixed pretty well, add syrup (or water), and mix thoroughly (you may need to knead with your hands at this point as mixture will be very stiff. Line a bread loaf pan with plastic wrap and press in mixture firmly and evenly. Chill till firm. Cut into 6 bars.

Approximately 5g carbs/15g protein per bar.

might be a bit high in fat though because of the heavy cream, nuts and coconut....

Spiderman
07-11-2001, 12:23 PM
More recipes damnit! :D

BLUENOSER
07-11-2001, 01:12 PM
Found this on another board. I have not tried it yet.
Pritein Bars

2 cups natural peanutbutter
8 tbls honey
2 1/4 cups protein powder (will not work with soy)
2 cups uncooked oatmeal

Combine peanut butter and honey in a mixing bowl, microwave for 80 sec. Add protein powder and oatmeal mix well ( add more honey if not sticky enough). Smoosh into 9x13 pan, let stand for 20 minutes then cut into 12 equal bars. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store in fridge.

Let me know how they turn out?

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-11-2001, 02:08 PM
Flake: you can just use poancake mix and protein powder, but i made up my own from scratch.

Just make sure the consistency looks good before you whip it in the pan.

flake
07-11-2001, 06:50 PM
woo hoo! and seeing as I'm not doing anything tomorrow, it's baking time :)

I shall let you know how they all come out...