PDA

View Full Version : cardio after a workout a good idea?

CrazyEights
12-05-2002, 12:18 AM
Recently I started to do 10 minutes of running right after I finished my workout. Is this a good thing or does this interact with the workout that I just did? I know it's better off to do my cardio on my rest days since I am less tired but I just want to know if it's a good idea to mix cardio right after a hard workout .

Damian
12-05-2002, 09:50 AM
I've always heard that if you're going to do both on the same day, even in small amounts, you should always lift first.

I don't really think it's going to detract from your workout...unless you really start taxing yourself. 10 minutes isn't doing a whole lot of anything, except keeping the blood flowing faster a little longer.

Bottom line, though...whatever makes you stay in the gym, and happy with yourself. We're ALL different animals.

Ozzymt
12-05-2002, 10:39 AM
IMO no cos you are in a highly catabolic state as it is. On saying that your muscle glycogen levels are depleted so you will burn fat very quickly.

10 mins is not that much, but i would consume a protein shake, or at least half of one, just before to help begin reverting your catabolic state.

bigkevin20
12-05-2002, 11:20 AM
I would say go for it not to much though. I get on the bike for 20 mins and do super intense cardio in spurts on and off for like 2 3 minutes at a time until i get my breath back. On a non work out day or weekend if I have extra energy i may do it on a lift day. No more than may 2 3 times a week at that. But it does help[ and it feels good to no it takes a little longer to get winded. I still make gains in strenth though never had any problems.

bigkevin20
12-05-2002, 11:22 AM
and I think 10 minutes of runnig is fine because to me running is way harder form of cardio than the bike.

CrazyEights
12-05-2002, 12:04 PM
thanx for the input guys