PDA

View Full Version : Is this anerexic?

Footballguy
12-05-2002, 09:18 PM
OK i think i might of been borderline anerexic not to long ago but i lost 35 puounds and i was the fattest anerexic ever. I was the kid on here who ate under 800 calories a day and then i burned off 450 of them on the excersice bike or tredmill.. i think it worked alot but my lifts went down because i lost sooooooooooo much muscule. Well heres my situation a year later...i gained 10 pounds since then fat and muscule but my lifts went up because i am eating normal again...im also takin supplements too (Hydroxycyt, Creatine, and protein) which is a good combo i think anyway i started a high protein diet and im not sure if its working yet but we will see. Im just wondering is it bad to eat like a total of 1300 calories in a day the go and burn off 600 of them on a tredmil or excersice bike...im eating right tho...so i dont see it as starving myself im just burning my callories, will i burn muscule too????Am i gonna get weak again? Im still getting the nutrients out of the food right???Thanks for reading any sugggestions would help....

~FBG

_-_v_-_
12-05-2002, 09:32 PM
Yes. That is a sign of disordered eating.

Very much so, in fact.

Isaac Wilkins
12-05-2002, 09:37 PM
Yes, this is bad.

Unless you're somewhere in the 40-50 (naturally) pound range, that will be too few calories for you to do well on.

Your idea that you're getting the nutrients from the food is correct in part. Yes, you are recieving the nutrients, though 1300 cals is still too low. By burning off 600 calories through exercise, you're consuming those in order to PERFORM the exercise. Therefore you're not using them to stay alive otherwise. Now you're down to a net consumption of 700 calories. Yes, some of the minerals/vitamins may not be totally consumed by the exercise, but your low food intake will probably make you deficient in them anyway.

How big are you? Height, age, gender, weight, and natural metabolic level all have a great deal to do with your basic caloric needs.

If you're anywhere close to adult size you'll probably need 1300 calories or more just to keep your organs functioning, let alone your daily activity and whatever muscle mass you have.

To answer all of your questions: Yes, you'll be burning muscle. Yes, you'll get weak again. Yes, you are getting what little nutrients there are out of the food, just not enough.

If we had some measurables about you (you may have already posted them, I don't know), then probably we could give you a better estimate on safe and effective training techniques/diet.

Good luck!

Saint Patrick
12-05-2002, 09:56 PM
1300 cals/day is NOT eating right. I eat more than that in one meal.

Don't you get hungry dude?

Budiak
12-06-2002, 12:15 AM
I sometimes make an MRP shake that contains close to your daily diet, duder.

Seriously. Eat. More. Lots more. Eat AT LEAST 2000 calories, and even if you do that, dont go for that damn cardio and burn away a quarter of it, man!

Beig fat sucks, but being in a hospital eating through a tube because of gross malnutrition is worse. You live in one of, if not the richest Western nation in the world and you are starving yourself to death, on purpose. Thats worse than wearing ****ing faded jeans. Seriously. You're insulting all of your ancestors that worked so hard so you'd never have t go hungry. Would you slap your grandfather in the face with an open hand? I didnt think so.

Go eat something. Now.

K-Daddy
12-06-2002, 12:45 AM
I don't think it's anorexia...I think it's just that you're horribly misinformed. Anorexics don't count calories and stuff...they just try not to eat food. You're counting calories but apparently are badly mistaken that 1300 cals is good for cutting (or whatever you're trying to do).

Start out by multiplying your bodyweight x 12 and eat that many cals a day. That's not an exact foolproof figure by any means, but it will be a helluva lot better than what you're doing now.

-Justin

Shao-LiN
12-06-2002, 03:31 AM
You're on the way to losing the muscle you've gained. 1300 calories is way too low, and add in the fact that you are also doing cardio.

Eating clean doesn't mean you are eating right.

Ritzol
12-06-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by K-Daddy
I don't think it's anorexia...I think it's just that you're horribly misinformed. Anorexics don't count calories and stuff...they just try not to eat food -Justin

Actually if you ask an anorexic how many calories they've aten so far during the day they will be able to give you a precise amount. Anorexics aren't classified by whether or not they count calories. If he's eating 1300 and burning off 600 everyday, there is a very obvious problem, and not only anorexia but also possible bulimia tendencies because of the fact of so much obsessive exercising.

bradley
12-06-2002, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Ritzol

Actually if you ask an anorexic how many calories they've aten so far during the day they will be able to give you a precise amount. Anorexics aren't classified by whether or not they count calories. If he's eating 1300 and burning off 600 everyday, there is a very obvious problem, and not only anorexia but also possible bulimia tendencies because of the fact of so much obsessive exercising.

I am not sure what it would be classified as but I am sure that it is along the lines of an eating disorder and is something that you should address before it gets any more out of hand.

Jane
12-06-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by K-Daddy
I don't think it's anorexia...I think it's just that you're horribly misinformed. Anorexics don't count calories and stuff...they just try not to eat food. You're counting calories but apparently are badly mistaken that 1300 cals is good for cutting (or whatever you're trying to do).
-Justin
Wrong. Many anorexics are notorious for counting calories and they DO eat, but entirely too little to support their body. Misinformed or not, extreme restriction of food intake to the levels of self starvation, whether it's 500 calories or 1200 calories, is eating disordered behavior, because it's not nearly enough for the individual in question.

Footballguy
12-06-2002, 07:29 AM
woooah wooooah....lol i havent done any of that yet settle down lol....trust me im not huge fat wise i just want too loose the gut u know.... OK ill up the calories but seriously its actually hard to get 2000 calories even without trying.... This has been a day for me.... Breakfast:4 egg whites every morning

Lunch: A tuna sandwhich whole can mixed with a tablesppon mayo to hold it together on 2 peices of white bread...with a few crackers or an apple.

B4 lifting: i have my teaspoon of creatine mixed with water...After lifting i have my 44 grams of protein which i think has alot of calories so that'll help.

Diner: A couple servings of a meat either red meat or poultry with a vegitable or a grain like spaggehtti or bread..

I wouldnt call it a diet diet but i would say its watching what i eat cut out the unneccisary snacking on junk food....

Stats:
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 180 pounds
Waist size: 34"
Status: I have a gut it doesnt hang over my belt too bad but i really wanna eliminate it, Arms i know under some of my fat i have great biceps if i was cut more...Legs i could eliminate some fat...im not obesse please help me out then crituqe away I came so far tho last year i lost 35 pounds and it completly changed my i look soo much better now i just want too loose another 10-15 pounds of fat and i will be satisfied.

~FBG

_-_v_-_
12-06-2002, 08:23 AM
Your breakfast has 60 calories.

Eat more.

Frozenmoses
12-06-2002, 08:55 AM
Man, I've been in the same boat as you. I became obsessed with my weight and I became anorexic, eating between 600 and 1000 cals/day. I became vegan so that I could tell everyone it was just all of the vegetables making me thinner. I lost over 80 lbs doing it, and I still looked fat. When I was clothed, I looked like a f*cking toothpick, but naked, my body was still very out of proportion and I had relatively high bf for a person that weighed 135.

If I could go back and talk to myself at 215 knowing what I know now, I would slap the sh*t out of me. I just dug myself in a big hole. I used to be a pretty strong guy, but I totally starved most of my muscle away. I just did a pretty good job bulking back up to 178 and I'm cutting down again, but if I could've started a steady cut at 215, I'd be leaps and bounds ahead of where I'm at now. Eat right, man. Seriously, starving yourself is one of the WORST things you can do to your body.

Berserker
12-06-2002, 09:03 AM
Atleast up the breakfast. 4 eggs whites isn't much. To me that seems like a big hole in your diet. I like to consume alot of skim milk. Its some fast and easy protein/carbs.

Vido
12-06-2002, 09:39 AM
You weigh 180lbs. 12*bodyweight=2160 cals. Eat AT LEAST that many or you are starving your body of nutrients. If that's a plain protein powder you are taking after your workout, then it is not nearly as many cals as you may think it is. Throw in some dextrose, maltodextrin, or both into that shake. The only other glaring weak point in your diet is that extremely low cal breakfast. Perhaps besides post-workout, breakfast should be the largest meal of the day. You've been starving your body while you sleep, and breakfast is your chance to get out of this catabolic state. If nothing else at all, eat 4 whole eggs, instead of just the whites, but I'd throw in some oatmeal and flax oil if you can.

Shao-LiN
12-06-2002, 10:16 AM
Not even hard to eat 2000 calories. Up the calories of each meal, seriously. Are you getting full each time you eat? Or are you just telling yourself that it's too much?

GIS
12-06-2002, 10:33 PM
There's a point where you start reducing calories so far that your body stores what it can get as body fat and your metabolism slows WAY down to accomodate this.

A balanced diet is a MUCH better approach than starvation. Look at pro bodybuilders... they don't eat 600 calories a day when cutting and they loose an amazing amount of fat.

Bottom line is bodybuilding should be approached as a form to improve your overall health and body. When taking extreme action through starvation it sort of defeats the purpose, you know?

seance69ca
12-07-2002, 12:18 AM
fbg, the way I see it you got 2 options:
you can lose the fat and show your abs & bis in a couple of ways: one is by eating more, the other is by eating less.
1. By eating more daily calories -- including lots of water -- you fill those hard-earned muscles with love & nutrients and guess what -- you get to see full, round, hard muscles. You look great, man! You look ripped because your muscles are ripping right through your paper-thin skin.

or, 2. you can eat less than what your body needs just to function (this is starvation, malnutition) and your hard earned muscles become less full and impressive (because your body will use muscle protein as energy before it will fat deposits) and your skin shrink-wraps your diminishing mass to the point where you look cut simply because there's hardly nothing between your skin and bones. Taking Hydroxycut will help you achieve this shredded look because it will keep your body burning fuel (that isn't really there in the first place) right down your ribs, man. Doing cardio & weight training regularly will also thin you out quickly.

Personally, heed the advice everyone's throwing your way. Bodybuilder's eat. We do not "starve" ourselves -- at least not over too long a period -- and we eat, again, and again, 5-7 times a day. :rolleyes: