PDA

View Full Version : Pre-workout protein???

Saint Patrick
12-05-2002, 09:51 PM
I see some people on here who drink a protein shake BEFORE a workout as well as after. Is this at all necessary? I always thought carbs before working out would be better as an energy source :confused:

LAM
12-05-2002, 10:40 PM
there are some study's from very reputable performance test labs that have shown the ingestion of whey immediately prior to training will have a comparable or slightly greater anabolic effect then if consumed only at post workout...

personally..I down 25 grams of whey/water right before leaving for the gym. I figure you can't go wrong with having a higher level of BCAA's in the bloodstream to lessen the effects of catabolism during the training session

steveo
12-05-2002, 11:01 PM
Well, the only reason I drink a shake before is because I workout first thing in the morning, I need to get something in my stomach that won't make me puke.

bradley
12-06-2002, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by steveo
Well, the only reason I drink a shake before is because I workout first thing in the morning, I need to get something in my stomach that won't make me puke.

Same here, and on days that I workout in the afternoon I usually eat about 1.5 hours before training.

The_Chicken_Daddy
12-06-2002, 09:42 AM
Also, think about how close to working out you eat and what you eat.

If i eat some oats and tuna with nuts about 1.5 hours before training, it'll still be sitting on my stomach when i come to train, so having whey before hand would be near pointless. The protein from the tuna is still getting through. Same principle.

Berserker
12-06-2002, 05:17 PM
I have read eat protein 1.5 hrs before training. That also gives yo enough time your not full or hungry. IMO.

Saint Patrick
12-06-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Berserker
I have read eat protein 1.5 hrs before training. That also gives yo enough time your not full or hungry. IMO.

Agreed. I don't like the idea of working out right after eating. And of course working out on an empty stomach is a bad idea as well.