PDA

View Full Version : Diet moron = ME

kathnmarc
12-07-2002, 07:26 AM
I have recently (3 months ago) started BB again after being off for about 10 years. Needless to say, in that time, I have put on quite a bit of fat and have lost all muscle that I ever had. Since I've started back, I have begun a more scientific approach to BB and have made fairly impressive gains according to the tape measure and the mirror. The only problem is...my gut! It will not go away. All my other body parts look really good so far and have a very thin layer of fat everywhere except my mid section. Now, I know it's all my fault for letting myself get this way, but now I'm doing something about it and I'm proud of my other body parts. Another wrench in the engine, is that I am bulking right now and my diet has way too much bad stuff in it I know, but I do not know how to fix it effectively. I currently weigh 190 - 195 lbs. I know I need about 3500 cals a day for bulking. Could someone please give me a good sample day of eating this many calories for bulking, but keeping fat way down for fat loss??? Plus, how the heck many carbs should I be consuming a day? ? I have heard conflicting reports on this one. I really need a serious builder's opinion on this one. I want to one day compete and feel that I have the knowledge and the tools, except for the nutritional smarts.
Thanks for all of your replies in advance.

Pup
12-07-2002, 07:35 AM
Well...of course clean food is your best option. You want to opt for things that are calorie dense. For bulking i think 30-40% of your calories from carbs is sufficient, some guys like more, some less.

Out of the goodness of my heart, i'm going to give you a sample bulking diet.

m1-6 eggs, 2 yolks, 1 cup oats *dry if you can eat em that way*...that's 528 cals there

m2-protein shake *make it come out to about 400 cals, lets say 2 scoops is 40g of protein and 10g of carbs with 2g fat, then i'd say to throw in some fruit if you want carbs or 2 tbs heavy cream if you want fat*...400-500 cals

m3-6oz chicken or lean beef, 8oz sweet potato...650 cals

m4-another shake...400-500 cals

m5-6oz chicken or lean beef, 8oz of sweet potato or other starchy carb, steamed vegetables...650 cals

m6-1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup fruit, 1oz crushed raw nuts *whatever you like*, 2tsp cinnamon...350 cals

if you did something like that you'd have about 3200 calories, if you doubled the portion sizes on meal 6 you'd have about 3500 calories.

:)

bradley
12-07-2002, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by kathnmarc
Could someone please give me a good sample day of eating this many calories for bulking, but keeping fat way down for fat loss???

Although it is possible to gain LBM and lose BF, it not likely to happen. You either have to eat to gain LBM and minimal Bf or lose BF with minimal LBM. Dietary fat does not necessarily make you fat, but rather cals in vs. cals out.

Pup
12-07-2002, 08:39 AM
Lean gaining can be achieved imo...but you pretty much have to eat around maintenance cals or a small surplus of cals...i didn't notice the low fat part, good eye bradley.

Shao-LiN
12-07-2002, 12:13 PM
Yes, don't get caught up on the "eating fat will make me fat" craze. You need a healthy amount to sustain hormonal levels. You can gain LBM and lose some fat, but IMO it's a slow process. Most feel it's just easier to do one or the other.

In other words, your abs aren't going to show on a bulk. You need to cut down on your body fat.

kathnmarc
12-07-2002, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate it. I think I will just keep bulking until I get to about 220 and then go on to the cutting phase. Maybe next summer?

Stray
12-09-2002, 04:33 PM
The first places you put on fat will be the last places to loose it.

Keep at it and it'll all fall into place.